• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 7 |OT| Rosalina is Fat, BBW Lovers Unite!

I dunno, MK7 Rainbow Road is just the shit. Best looking Mario Kart track ever, hands down. Stunning.

Maybe I'll come round to the SNES version after playing it more. :p

ffdgh

Online is FRUSTRATING

Good god, I have the worst luck. Getting hit with three red shells from three different people, then a star guy drives into me, and of course I fall from the track because we're on rainbow road... right before the ending where I was 2nd place

Sheeeeit, why do Japanese people always choose Rainbow road? I suck so bad. Need to do some training :/ Is there any special combo of cars that help out noobs a bit?

it was much worse for maka wuhu/wuhu mountain loop before the patch.
and for decent combos, Go the acceleration route.

the important *levels* of acceleration work like this...

2.75-3.50 are the same until 3.75. Heavys cant go above 3.50 at all lol.
3.75-4.50 gives a boost at 3.75 and is the same untill 4.75
4.75+ gives the best tho only feather/light can reach 4.75

Anteo

Haha, Prinny in the first race, you threw that green shell, and somehow the banana behind me blocked it (I was behind you). I was like "how the hell did that happend" and fell of the track anyways.

The blue shell hit us both, though I was the target. In the end, I won the race by luck (3 mush near the end)

That last race wasn't luck, don't sell yourself short :p

Edit: I must be on a really bad connection, I never finish the race in the position that I think I'm in :/

No one's telporting, I just think I'm in 1st or 2nd and then end up last, weird.

Damn, it happened again!

Edit: I'll let you know when we're open again

Anteo

I had a blue shell, but never got a chance to use it. I fell from the track.
Also, Mario?

Edit:
You got hit by a blue shell just before the finish line. Or at least that is what happened here.

Edit:
You got hit by a blue shell just before the finish line. Or at least that is what happened here.
That happened on my side too but I had just enough left to crawl across the finish line... or so I thought :(

Edit: I'm waiting for you Prinny!

Edit2: This will be the first and last time that I'm #1 in the GAF community isn't it? :'(
I'm sorry I have to go. I have work to do >.<
Good games!

What's the best time to get on th GAF Community for some races?

I don't think that there's been much activity in the community lately but I'm going to start playing more often now that the 3DSXL has solved the horrible cramping issues I had with the original model.

Check the board during the evenings US east coast time for updates on when people are playing.

Tom_Cody

So I finally picked this up. I have been very deliberate about just focusing on one game at a time for the last 2-3 years and I skipped this when it was first released because I was still playing Mario 3D Land. I have been a massive fan of every previous Mario Kart game but I'm not really into online racing so I was happy to just sit and wait until the right time and here I am.

Basically I'm looking for a simple primer on high level gameplay in Mario Kart 7. Which characters/karts/parts are the fastest? What should I focus on in kart customization? To what extent can you snake or use other advanced gameplay methods? Etc.

So far I have played through 3 50cc cups and 1 150cc cup. Each time I have just used Mario in his basic unmodified kart and I got 3 stars on each of the 50cc cups and 1 star on the 150cc cup. If no one responds here I will just keep plowing ahead with that basic configuration until the game humbles me somehow (or until I start getting into time attack).

I am certainly lttp here but I didn't want to start an unnecessary thread for these questions. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Are the gyro controls even worth playing around with?

Prinny

RIP Gospel T.T

Basically I'm looking for a simple primer on high level gameplay in Mario Kart 7. Which characters/karts/parts are the fastest? What should I focus on in kart customization? To what extent can you snake or use other advanced gameplay methods? Etc.
For characters and kart parts: Acceleration > Handling >>> Speed (except in TT), ignore off-road and weight. Try to get 10 coins as fast as possible during races, it increase your top speed. Snaking doesn't really work. Always use tricks (R) at every jumps. Hold down on the left stick when you're in auto-flight/jump mode (like at the start of Waluigi Pinball) to go faster.

Tom_Cody

RIP Gospel T.T

For characters and kart parts: Acceleration > Handling >>> Speed (except in TT), ignore off-road and weight. Try to get 10 coins as fast as possible during races, it increase your top speed. Snaking doesn't really work. Always use tricks (R) at every jumps. Hold down on the left stick when you're in auto-flight/jump mode (like at the start of Waluigi Pinball) to go faster.
Awesome. Thanks.

Tom_Cody

I am really loving this so far. I guess I'll see how long I feel that way. I sort of got the feeling that this one didn't resonate with fans as much as Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii (or at least thread activity and sales numbers would seem to indicate as much).

I cleaned out 50cc last night. 3 stars on all circuits on my first try. I did the first two 100cc circuits this morning on the subway to work and I got 3 stars on those as well. I assume this 3 star steak will end soon? In the 100cc races I at least have to be aware of my opponents, which is nice.

I'm somewhat confused about the ghosts that appear in time attack. Are those all from spot pass? In general I would love a brief overview of the street pass and spot pass features. Even though the online community has faded, I have already gotten a few street pass tags.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ghosts are from spotpass, though there are a few built in ones from Nintendo and Retro.

Streetpass allows you to swap kart parts, a custom grand prix, a time trial time and a short message. If you beat someone in their grand prix and their cart has an item you don't have you can unlock it. So make sure you go into the options and change your look otherwise you'll be one of those boring people.

While the community may seem dead, online is still thriving. Just use the world wide option and you'll be in a race in no time.

Tom_Cody

Ghosts are from spotpass, though there are a few built in ones from Nintendo and Retro.

Streetpass allows you to swap kart parts, a custom grand prix, a time trial time and a short message. If you beat someone in their grand prix and their cart has an item you don't have you can unlock it. So make sure you go into the options and change your look otherwise you'll be one of those boring people.

While the community may seem dead, online is still thriving. Just use the world wide option and you'll be in a race in no time.
Thanks for the response.

I had poked around a bit in the street pass stuff but this helps clear up some things.

So you need to play the custom grand prix in order to get the part/s from the tag? Ok, I was sort of confused about the street pass grand prix feature. I guess that's a good way to mix things up. I will try to play through the tags I have already the next time I sit down with the game.

Madao

i've got a new main FC

1075-2048-6849

i still have my earlier 3DS code active so don't delete it but if you didn't add my previous one, this one is preferable. PM me if you add me.

Tom_Cody

I still haven't figured out the kart customization at all.

I have been playing this for a month and I am pretty far along in the game. I have triple starred all of 150cc and I only have a few circuits left on Mirror. I'm also pretty accomplished in time attack.

I have found kart selection to be simply irrelevant in Grand Prix (as long as the Kart has good enough handling to enable me to follow my racing lines), though time attack is more complicated. I have found that I can work my way up the time attack rankings simply choosing the next fastest ghost, using that kart, and then trying to mimic their line through the track. In doing this I am improving my times but I don't know if I'm actually getting better at Mario Kart. I also have gained zero knowledge of which karts will be faster/slower in Grand Prix.

Handling is really the only stat I have figured out, meaning that if the handling is too poor I won't be able to follow my lines. I have zero sense if high top-speed or high acceleration will more likely result in consistently fast times.

Ugh. Does anyone have additional advice?

If you're focusing on good handling, acceleration tends to go hand-in-hand with that. Speed and handling don't seem to be common bedfellows. Highest acceleration possible is Royal Rumbler with the Roller wheels, a lightweight character and any glider that isn't the default, I believe, and the handling on that might be the highest too.

I used Shy Guy in that set-up for a while, switched to Lakitu in the cloud car with the same wheels and glider now just for variety. It's the closest to the Dry Bomber in DS I can get.

Tom_Cody

If you're focusing on good handling, acceleration tends to go hand-in-hand with that. Speed and handling don't seem to be common bedfellows. Highest acceleration possible is Royal Rumbler with the Roller wheels, a lightweight character and any glider that isn't the default, I believe, and the handling on that might be the highest too.

I used Shy Guy in that set-up for a while, switched to Lakitu in the cloud car with the same wheels and glider now just for variety. It's the closest to the Dry Bomber in DS I can get.
Oh, the Dry Bomber... You have succeeded in making me feel nostalgic.

I used that setup for most of the first two weeks I spent with the game. At least at that time, I felt like that arrangement resulted in a stiff performance ceiling, meaning I was not able to get close to the elite times in time attack. How have you been able perform with that arrangement? Have you reached 3 stars in grand prix?

Just got my 3rd star last night. I switched to the Cloud for Mirror Mode but the difference was minimal. It was easy enough, the only bad part was rubber-banding bullshit being as stupidly commonplace in Mirror Mode as usual, plus Blue Shells and all that. I was able to break away from the pack fairly consistently.

It's a good set-up I think, but I've never been comfortable with anything other than the most nimble karts possible- so I can mini-turbo like a maniac- so your performance may vary, I suppose. I wouldn't call myself the best MK player but I must be doing something right.

Tom_Cody

Just got my 3rd star last night. I switched to the Cloud for Mirror Mode but the difference was minimal. It was easy enough, the only bad part was rubber-banding bullshit being as stupidly commonplace in Mirror Mode as usual, plus Blue Shells and all that. I was able to break away from the pack fairly consistently.

It's a good set-up I think, but I've never been comfortable with anything other than the most nimble karts possible- so I can mini-turbo like a maniac- so your performance may vary, I suppose. I wouldn't call myself the best MK player but I must be doing something right.
Cool. It has been a few weeks since I have played with an all-drift kart. I will switch back and see what happens.

Congrats on your 3rd star btw.

Tom_Cody

It feels so weird to be playing a big game like this after everyone else on GAF has moved on. I feel like I'm in a vacuum. Oh well, at least the online community is still awesome. Here's another update:

I got my third star about a week ago. I previously kept botching Mirror Rainbow Road after entering the race with 30 points and, after some time spent doing time trail, I finally was able to get a first place finish, 40 points overall, and my third star.

I really love this game. I have come to respect it more and more as I keep playing. The track design is so layered and deep. You need to master so many elements in order to secure a clean run.

-Every jump can be taken in multiple ways
-Most tracks have multiple useful mushroom points to pick between in time trial
-Underwater driving
-Flight
-The many useful/unuseful offroad shortcuts

In past Mario Karts, at a certain point I always felt like I was able to figure out each coarse and repeat the same line in every lap of every race. No such comfort zone exists here, especially if you continually experiment with Kart variations like me.

I love fighting to tame the chaos. It almost feels like playing smash brothers on the more active stages.

Tom_Cody

One more thing. Thanks to gamefaqs I feel that I have finally arrived at a kart variation I can stick with:

Zucchini, Mushroom Wheels, Paraglider, and a medium driver.

It offers a very practical balance of speed and acceleration and it has quite good handling. Prior to this most of my time trial records had been set with karts specifically suited to each track. With this kart I have been able to beat (or at least mostly match) all of my previous records.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One more thing. Thanks to gamefaqs I feel that I have finally arrived at a kart variation I can stick with:

Zucchini, Mushroom Wheels, Paraglider, and a medium driver.

It offers a very practical balance of speed and acceleration and it has quite good handling. Prior to this most of my time trial records had been set with karts specifically suited to each track. With this kart I have been able to beat (or at least mostly match) all of my previous records.
That's my default vehicle of choice, but I tend to play around with different characters and vehicles for variety. This can lead to infuriating races where the combination is terrible.

Wow... I only have ~3,000 coins.

I had no idea there was such a high threshold for the final unlock.

I'm almost at 8000.

The last two unlocks are:
Golden Glider
:
10,000 coins
or
100 streetpasses
Golden Kart
:
20,000 coins
or
10,000 VR point