• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Writers' Guild to vote to authorize strike, paving way for potential writers' strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreddie

Couldn't this cripple any upcoming pilots that will get greenlit?

Oof. And the movies are gonna get fucked over badly.

And now digital TV too.

WinFonda

$51 billion in profits and barely a penny for those of us who make the product that makes the companies rich.
this line bugs me because it comes off as a lil self important. writers help make the product, they don't make it alone. that said i'm all for creatives getting better compensation.

I hope they strike. Storytellers in the storytelling business are making far too little money for their services (in most cases).

this line bugs me because it comes off as a lil self important. writers help make the product, they don't make it alone. that said i'm all for creatives getting better compensation.

Without a screenplay, there really is no movie/show. There are a few occasions where films were made by "winging it" to some degree or another but they are rare.

Writers have as much stake shaping a product as a Director or Actor. They're more of a hidden hand, however.

Zenner

it's still ongoing isn't it? I don't think game companies are buckling, as well.

Yes, it's still ongoing. The 11 struck companies are still sticking to their guns, but many other videogame publishers have got on board with the new contract terms. According to this announcement, some Casting Directors appear to be in a bit of a bind - now asking some SAG-AFTRA members to do struck work on the sly. Can't be fun, being in the middle like that.

(What are the VA Guild rules for working outside the country?)

SAG-AFTRA members abide by Global Rule One : a SAG-AFTRA member must always work under a union contract around the globe.

That means no hopping over to Canada, for a week, to record something there.

WinFonda

Writers have as much stake shaping a product as a Director or Actor. They're more of a hidden hand, however.
naw i understand writers are important, but it takes many different disciplines to produce these things, not just the one. The wording makes it seems like it's not a team effort. Don't know if it was intentional or not tho.

Yes, it's still ongoing. The 11 struck companies are still sticking to their guns, but many other videogame publishers have got on board with the new contract terms. According to this announcement, some Casting Directors appear to be in a bit of a bind - now asking some SAG-AFTRA members to do struck work on the sly. Can't be fun, being in the middle like that.

SAG-AFTRA members abide by Global Rule One : a SAG-AFTRA member must always work under a union contract around the globe.

That means no hopping over to Canada, for a week, to record something there.

I see, alright. If it's SAG-AFTRA, how does that apply to say...Japanese companies? LIke Keifer is in SAG, but I'm pretty sure that MGSV wasn't a SAG union game?

naw i understand writers are important, but it takes many different disciplines to produce these things, not just the one. The wording makes it seems like it's not a team effort. Don't know if it was intentional or not tho.

It's the same argument made by the video games thing-Like, the argument there(And I believe the VA of Drake made in the VGAs) was that games need programmers more than they need voice actors, so why are VAs asking for more just for them and not the programmers(...badly explained by me)

Basically, yeah movies are made by hundreds if not thousands of people, but alot of those aspects are dispensable compared to things like the Directors, Actors, Producers....(For the video game side, the argument being that voice actors are dispensable in the grand scheme of thing compared to the programmers or creative leads who make the game actually run).

The idea that writers are supremely important actually comes from the film industry's business practices. The overwhelming majority of movies will not go into production unless its backers see a script. That's why writers feel so entitled. They're shown that projects do not get made without their efforts.

Zenner

I see, alright. If it's SAG-AFTRA, how does that apply to say...Japanese companies? LIke Keifer is in SAG, but I'm pretty sure that MGSV wasn't a SAG union game?

Sutherland would have been hired on a SAG contract, but I suspect someone of his stature would have negotiated for more than the minimum scale pay. The old contract for everyone else pretty much pays you for your time in the booth that day, and that's it forever. Very simple one-and-done things. Generally, even for upper-level VAs, it's hard to negotiate a better rate because you have no idea how important your character role(s) is in the game, or even what the game is, sometimes.

Foreign game companies hire SAG-AFTRA talent all the time. I don't believe they are also required to use union members for their own localizations. The contracts for film and television contain many more stipulations and requirements. The videogame contract the 11 struck companies want to keep using was written in 1995; definitely time to update it. :)

Looks like they announce the results of the strike authorization vote today, at least one has already voted yes. The deadline for a new contract is May 1st, I really hope the writers get what they deserve.

Squalor

God, this is really going to fuck up my year if we have to strike.

This has been coming a long time, though. Satisfaction in the industry has stalled. Production schedules are getting crazy again.

Durock

Oof. Just joined SAG-AFTRA about a month ago. I selfishly hope it doesn't effect my career if it happens, but at the same time I do want the writers to earn what they deserve. I hope they reach an appropriate deal.

mcrommert

Banned
It depends on how you define "good." Salary minimums from the current contract are higher than what most engineers in Silicon Valley (the typical example of "overpaid gentrifiers") get paid each week. Any role above the minimum is going to get paid more.

That doesn't count residuals or bonus payments.

Source:
http://defamer.gawker.com/heres-what-your-favorite-television-writers-make-1485130956
http://www.wga.org/contracts/contracts/mba

The primary reason individual writers are seeing salaries fall is the combination of shorter seasons (so if you're staff, a 10 episode show is only guaranteeing 14 weeks of pay, versus older shows where a 24-26 episode season was a lock) and competition for those positions.

Shorter seasons means at any given time there are more writers competing for the next contract.

That's not to say that TV writers shouldn't be trying to negotiate a better deal for themselves. Everyone wants to get the biggest paycheck they can get, but it's not like TV writers are working for minimum wage. They're already paid better than the vast majority of writers in the US.

Thank you for posting this...

Unions exist for those who need protection in their jobs because they make money on the low end of the scale (miners, blue collar, even teachers)

This is like computer engineers starting unions

creatchee

Wow, it's that time again already, huh?

Hope yall like more reality TV....

Yeah, the last strike is why every other goddamned show on TV is about two idiots getting married, flipping a house (or something even less consequential), or trying to appraise and sell shit they found in their attic or at some foolish person's garage sale.

And don't even get me started on that grief vampire The Long Island Medium.

Squalor

Unions exist for those who need protection in their jobs because they make money on the low end of the scale (miners, blue collar, even teachers)

No, it's not.

The hours are insane. Work isn't guaranteed. You don't have an off-season salary. And there are more writers than just staff writers and showrunners who make far less than the two aforementioned positions.
Sooo how will this affect youtube content? The smaller skit shows and stuff?
Has nothing to do with the Guild.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Been disappointed in the latest batch of TV coming down the pipe so hopefully this helps kick things in the ass a bit as it did last time.

Squalor

Been disappointed in the latest batch of TV coming down the pipe so hopefully this helps kick things in the ass a bit as it did last time.
You must be picking the wrong shows.

The high-end of shows are as good as television has been, and there's a wider breadth of quality shows.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
You must be picking the wrong shows.

The high-end of shows are as good as television has been, and there's a wider breadth of quality shows.

Oh I know there's a lot of good stuff out there, but Ive just felt bored with the last year or so of TV compared to like 2009-2014. Could just be me though.

gatti-man

It depends on how you define "good." Salary minimums from the current contract are higher than what most engineers in Silicon Valley (the typical example of "overpaid gentrifiers") get paid each week. Any role above the minimum is going to get paid more.

That doesn't count residuals or bonus payments.

Source:
http://defamer.gawker.com/heres-what-your-favorite-television-writers-make-1485130956
http://www.wga.org/contracts/contracts/mba

The primary reason individual writers are seeing salaries fall is the combination of shorter seasons (so if you're staff, a 10 episode show is only guaranteeing 14 weeks of pay, versus older shows where a 24-26 episode season was a lock) and competition for those positions.

Shorter seasons means at any given time there are more writers competing for the next contract.

That's not to say that TV writers shouldn't be trying to negotiate a better deal for themselves. Everyone wants to get the biggest paycheck they can get, but it's not like TV writers are working for minimum wage. They're already paid better than the vast majority of writers in the US.

This is terrible pay if you're expected to live in the Hollywood area. Like basement pay. Because none of these guys have guaranteed work so the pay should reflect that.

Good writers should be paid on a similar level as good actors. Bad writing kills everything no matter who touches it. And great writing lifts mediocre actors. A perfect example of that is game of thrones. It's filled with mediocre actors being more bc of direction and writing.

Squalor

This is terrible pay if you're expected to live in the Hollywood area. Like basement pay. Because none of these guys have guaranteed work so the pay should reflect that.

Good writers should be paid on a similar level as good actors. Bad writing kills everything no matter who touches it. And great writing lifts mediocre actors. A perfect example of that is game of thrones. It's filled with mediocre actors being more bc of direction and writing.
You're expected to live in Hollywood or New York, or your expected to travel because your show films in Vancouver or Atlanta or Charleston.

We don't make a "ton" of money. No one is saying writers are poor, but the pay isn't "steady" since we often have a quarter of the year off.

And when we see how much money gets thrown around to directors, actors, producers, and production, we know there's more money available that could be thrown our way.

And, as I mentioned before, the writers below the staff writers make even less.

Faddy

Banned
Remember how everyone laughed at the writers last time for wanting changes for online streaming and distribution? Culminating in that South Park episode about Internet Money. It turns out the writers union actually knew what they were talking about.

This time they are striking over the change to shorter runs that take the same production time but they end up with less overall pay without the freedom to work on multiple projects that actors, directors and other crew enjoy.

Just after Youtube throwing millions of content creators under the bus in favor of Youtube TV...

I mean, strikes suck but that's the only positive thing I could think of.

I wonder how public opinion will be on this (if the strike goes through). On one hand, you have pretty much everyone enjoying some form of TV whether it be through Netflix or cable channels so there's little weight to the argument that writers aren't doing their jobs. On the other hand, we elected Trump. Not looking forward to knee-jerk reactions about how the "unions are taking our TV shows".

B33

Banned

NOPE

Deadline: WGA Releases Trove of Data To Support Its Bargaining Position

Give this a read.

1. The number of episodes, and therefore, episode fees are half the traditional number on many series.
2. These fewer episode fees are being amortized across more than two weeks per episode.
3. Writers are held exclusive and under option even when not working on these short season series.
4. Residuals are too low in the emerging rerun markets.
5. Script fees remain unequal to the network rates for the growing areas of the industry.

There's a great deal of data and reasoning in the article.

B33

Banned
It's not that the writers think they alone make these things.

They're collectively saying they play a pivotal role like producers, directors, actors, etc., but get paid less and their current contractual terms are stymying them. It's become increasingly difficult for writers to get by in the industry.

The writers have to live where these things are being negotiated, New York and California, which aren't cheap places. They also have to pay their lawyer and agent for each deal (two things you need to get work and not get utterly screwed) plus pay their taxes, which are higher in New York and California.

Writers put an inordinate amount of time into the work. If you were to break down what the average writer grosses versus the amount of time they spend working, it'd be disproportionately distributed with way more time spent than money earned.

The current climate of the industry is pushing writers out. If you're an "A-list" writer, of course, you're getting by, but most of the Guild aren't "A-list" writers and they shouldn't have to be to survive.

I'm fine with a strike, got way too much TV to watch as is and last time the strike produced a lot of interesting things and a whole bunch of new people joined the industry too I think. And of course I hope the good writers get more, since they are the backbone of the industry.

I do think a one size fits all model doesn't really work anymore though, and every year FEWER people watch the same TV shows and while viewership numbers may be overall at record numbers, I don't really understand how any of these people are going to be making money soon. No one gives a shit about ads anymore, the goal of every viewer is to watch stuff as ad free as possible, live numbers are absolutely pathetic with everyone DVR/streaming, and I imagine a world where the bulk of content is viewed in a binge/stream format is very different from the current model, budget production and revenue wise.

Squalor

The idea that writers are supremely important actually comes from the film industry's business practices. The overwhelming majority of movies will not go into production unless its backers see a script. That's why writers feel so entitled. They're shown that projects do not get made without their efforts.
Writers feel entitled?

Huh, that's news to me.

Please, fill me in on your obviously learned insight into my profession.

B33

Banned
I look forward to old scripts that are sitting around being suddenly green lit.

The inherent problem with this methodology is that per WGA rules during a strike, no changes can be made.

The actors can make "choices" and change the lines, but the director, producer(s), and writer(s) can't do anything except shoot the material already written pre-strike.

This hurts a project because things inevitably change up until the day and even when you're on set.

RedHill

Banned
Why do people think this is the end of Peak TV? The same models of television don't exist as they were. Seasons will simply be delayed instead of cancelled. Networks that have "peak tv" don't follow the "22 episode fall/spring schedule" shit anymore anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom