• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Oh my God I finally downloaded some files from that demo3d website. What the flying shit. It looks absolutely mind blowing!! O_O

Seriously, if you have a good 4K TV forget those youtube videos. This is the real deal. Download the files from this site and play them. Especially the HDR videos, but not only them. Try picking videos with a high bit rate. Goddamn. 😱

Lady Gaia

Is this effectively constantly changing brightness?

Chances are it's about communicating details about the HDR encoding used for content. You could describe the intended gamma curve and peak brightness represented by maximum values. This makes sense in a world where content producers have different goals (like BBC's use of the hybrid log gamma curve) and sets have unique strengths for something like peak brightness (some content mastered for 1000 nits, other content targeting a forward looking 4000 nit peak.)

BumRush

Chances are it's about communicating details about the HDR encoding used for content. You could describe the intended gamma curve and peak brightness represented by maximum values. This makes sense in a world where content producers have different goals (like BBC's use of the hybrid log gamma curve) and sets have unique strengths for something like peak brightness (some content mastered for 1000 nits, other content targeting a forward looking 4000 nit peak.)

Ok cool, thanks.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'm interested to see if there are any surprises at CES and I mean legit surprises. We all know we're going to see a lot of things related to HDR and all that however I always like when something amazing pops up.

I'll be honest those super short throw laser projectors Sony has been selling for the price of a new car were god damned amazing looking. I'm really hoping the price on those or something similar starts dropping to more reasonable rates. I actually have a pretty good set up for a projector in my current place and would really consider something along those lines if the price wasn't too insane and there weren't any crazy issues. Doesn't even have to be Sony themselves but anyone who got that tech down to a reasonable enough price.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

it's mainly for scene-by-scene changes. So a movie with really bright and dark scenes may use that curve differently. Dolby Vision does this (in addition to tone mapping / display mapping etc)

Theonik

I always hate buying a TV because the model numbers vary between regions. As such, often finding reviews for a TV that I could buy locally is a pain in the ass because pretty much every notable tech site is located in the US. So then I have to figure out what the equivalent US model is, but that's not a walk in the park either.

There should be a database of TV models somewhere that would keep track of this stuff.
This sounds like a good idea, until you realise that regional models also tend to have region specific differences. UK Sony TVs come with YouView for instance.

Lady Gaia

it's mainly for scene-by-scene changes. So a movie with really bright and dark scenes may use that curve differently. Dolby Vision does this (in addition to tone mapping / display mapping etc)

That could make a huge difference. Here's hoping Samsung lives up to the expectation they've set of keeping their 2016 displays updated to support that kind of dynamic metadata, and that the rest of the industry also keeps pace enough to ensure that content can take advantage of it.

I know the picture WILL be better than a One S, but to the average viewer - from average distances - will it be significant?

I'm assuming everything will be better: picture, sound, interface, etc. I don't think the average Joe will feel the need to pay over double though

The Beard

I know the picture WILL be better than a One S, but to the average viewer - from average distances - will it be significant?

I can't imagine it would be. I would love to see a professional reviewer do a side by side comparison.

$550 is insane. It doesn't even have any apps for streaming.

BumRush

I can't imagine it would be. I would love to see a professional reviewer do a side by side comparison.

$550 is insane. It doesn't even have any apps for streaming.

I'm assuming everything will be better: picture, sound, interface, etc. I don't think the average Joe will feel the need to pay over double though

That's what I thought. I'm sure this thing is sweet, but it's a pass for me at that price...

MrJames

For UHD I doubt it will be significant. But the scaling will make a difference on Blu-ray and especially DVD. There is also a HDMI INPUT so you can scale other sources like cable, etc. It's a universal player so formats like DVD-Audio and SACD are also supported.

They have stated streaming apps will be added at later time. The launch is focused on getting the disc playback portion just right.

Sami+

Reposting from PS4 Pro thread. Don't know much about TVs.

Could definitely use some help TV shopping GAF, any advice SUPER appreciated.

So I just beat TLG on my 1080p mode on my new Pro. Loved it, and happy the experience was pretty smooth, but I definitely felt like I was missing out on the lack of HDR on my set. I want to make the most of my purchase and am looking at new TVs now!

I have a 32" Samsung TV on my desk rn as both a desktop monitor and gaming setup. I like this setup a lot and don't really want to go smaller if I don't have to. What can I get that's somewhere between 30"-40" for $499 or less? Would it be worth it?

thx love yall <3

Peltz

I just used my OLED Vita for the first time in about a year. Good lord that screen is just about the best I've ever seen in person. Heck, it even has better colors than my PVM!

Is that what I have to look forward to when I buy an OLED HDTV? Or was the Vita's screen exceptional?

Bear in mind: it's been a very long time since I went TV shopping and tend not to go to electronics stores.

I just used my OLED Vita for the first time in about a year. Good lord that screen is just about the best I've ever seen in person. Heck, it even has better colors than my PVM!

Is that what I have to look forward to when I buy an OLED HDTV? Or was the Vita's screen exceptional?

Bear in mind: it's been a very long time since I went TV shopping.

The Vita screen is probably bobbins by standards now.

There are rumors that Sony will be introducing two OLED tv sets priced at 1999.99 & 2999.99 next year and will be unveil at CES 2017. 55" & 65"...those prices are good especially on the 55 and mean you'll be able to get some good deals on it. Should also help drive cost down.

Looking forward to this.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm really looking forward to CES this year just because of the new OLED models/details. I'll 100% get one of the 2017 models the second they hit retail cause I'm waaaaay overdue for a decent new TV. More manufacturers bringing OLEDs to the market even if they are all using LG panels is still a good thing. Prices go down and picture quality/performance increases hopefully. So hyped.

There are rumors that Sony will be introducing two OLED tv sets priced at 1999.99 & 2999.99 next year and will be unveil at CES 2017. 55" & 65"...those prices are good especially on the 55 and mean you'll be able to get some good deals on it. Should also help drive cost down.

Looking forward to this.

Any links to articles with what we could expect as far as features go? I still want 3d.

NVM. Found some articles. I just need to know if they will have 3d or not. Please Please Please

HStallion

Looking forward to this.

What's interesting is at those prices that won't be their top of the line sets which I'm assuming is going to be the continuation of the Master Back Lighting sets in the Z9D series.

LMAO I got a 4K UHD BD player for $97 on Black Friday. Get out of here with that $550 pricing, Oppo.

Looking forward to this.

I'm interested. Give me your quality image processing, upscaling, low imput lag, and some pixel blinking and I'll be first in line Sony.

Flyinmunky

For anyone who uses or is looking for a high end projector for movies and gaming, JVC will be launching new models Jan/Feb that will include a low latency mode for gaming. This is first time JVC have done this.

Yeah, the price can be steep but if you want the quality image processing and better upscaling...

;)

There is no difference between the 4K output between the $97 player I got and the $600 Panasonic player. They use the same SoC it turns out.

I already have a Sony BDP-S790, regarded as one of the best regular BD players ever made. I already have the best image processing and scaling ;)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Also DVD-A and SACD. The home theater crowd will go nuts over this, they know what they want. It's a bit of a bargain if you need all those features.

There is no difference between the 4K output between the $97 player I got and the $600 Panasonic player. They use the same SoC it turns out.

I already have a Sony BDP-S790, regarded as one of the best regular BD players ever made. I already have the best image processing and scaling ;)

Yeah, I was mostly joking.
But as Beer Monkey stated this is great for audio as well and is actually a decent price for a new universal player.

It's about time to retire my Marantz DVD player since I only used it for audio nowadays anyway.

The Beard

LMAO I got a 4K UHD BD player for $97 on Black Friday. Get out of here with that $550 pricing, Oppo.

I'm interested. Give me your quality image processing, upscaling, low imput lag, and some pixel blinking and I'll be first in line Sony.

Im pretty sure that "Pixel Blinking" motion smoothing wouldn't work on OLED. On Sony LCDs the picture remains intact, but the LED backlight strobes to trick your eyes into seeing a smooth image.

I would expect sub 4K content to look better on the Sony's compared to the LGs though. Input lag could go either way. Sony was killing it for a couple years, but it looks like they completely stopped caring about input lag recently.

Theonik

Sony's 2016 XBR Z9D already is using that technology, something they call "Backlight Master Drive".
BMD is a backlight technology, not a new panel tech. It works by controlling the LEDs directly which are placed in tubes behind the panel in an effort to reduce blooming. The real magic happens with the dimming algorithm in where Sony is the best in the business.

Im pretty sure that "Pixel Blinking" motion smoothing wouldn't work on OLED. On Sony LCDs the picture remains intact, but the LED backlight strobes to trick your eyes into seeing a smooth image.
Moreover, the technology greatly reduces brightness. Only the ZD9 has enough overhead to offer it with no compromise in image quality in SDR.
to make this work on an OLED you could try inserting black frames but the panel would need to be able to do 120Hz at which point you can't use that mode and the blanking at the same time.

sector4

Sorry for the delay, but as requested I've taken some photos of the Z9D, these are all straight out of the camera with no editing to be as transparent as possible. I have the RAW CR2s if anyone is interested also, they've just been imported through Lightroom, shrunk a tiny bit so they're web friendly and exported as jpegs.

First up is the general set up / installation of the Z9D.

Doors closed

3uSxP66.jpg

Doors open

goJfjR6.jpg

Ratchet and Clank

mq3OZpi.jpg

VjaLecX.jpg

oAgNw1x.jpg

lfd7EFd.jpg

Stranger Things - these pics are just used as an extreme example to show pure white next to pure black and how the Z9D can absolutely go toe-to-toe with OLED for perfect blacks. I pulled the blinds down for this, but I kept the light on the bottom of the TV and reciever on so you can see the blacks haven't been crushed in post processing.

mlkXOpF.jpg

dzNKPoF.jpg

EOsRefT.jpg

kaKASyr.jpg

uQNFWL8.jpg

3dIEOXl.jpg

Uncharted 4 - just for the graphics... *drool*

NjaZv1x.jpg

lIyxClZ.jpg

rm47Ly9.jpg

72YaMeU.jpg

2QnbNYg.jpg

8ezqhab.jpg

HStallion

God damn that is a nice TV! I can't wait till prices on these start to drop next year.

I'm really looking forward to CES this year just because of the new OLED models/details. I'll 100% get one of the 2017 models the second they hit retail cause I'm waaaaay overdue for a decent new TV. More manufacturers bringing OLEDs to the market even if they are all using LG panels is still a good thing. Prices go down and picture quality/performance increases hopefully. So hyped.

Exactly, I believe what I read is that LG and Sony struck a deal. More OLED sets in the field mean more competition even if they are partners at the same time.

Any links to articles with what we could expect as far as features go? I still want 3d.

NVM. Found some articles. I just need to know if they will have 3d or not. Please Please Please

Ah looks like you found some, yeah I don't think there has been any leaks in regards as to the features.

What's interesting is at those prices that won't be their top of the line sets which I'm assuming is going to be the continuation of the Master Back Lighting sets in the Z9D series.

Never know, but I guess we'll be finding out soon.

Yup, I purchased the 850D over the sales and stuff, and the TV is really fucking good in all of those aspects. However, what made me return it was the awful black uniformity. Couldn't get the blacks to look good at all, so returned it for a KS8000 which was amazing but ended up being problematic so returned it too, and decided to wait for CES which I think was a wise decision (or so I'd like to tell myself).

Sorry for the delay, but as requested I've taken some photos of the Z9D, these are all straight out of the camera with no editing to be as transparent as possible. I have the RAW CR2s if anyone is interested also, they've just been imported through Lightroom, shrunk a tiny bit so they're web friendly and exported as jpegs.

Doors closed

3uSxP66.jpg

Doors open

goJfjR6.jpg

Ratchet and Clank

mq3OZpi.jpg

VjaLecX.jpg

Stranger Things - these pics are just used as an extreme example to show pure white next to pure black and how the Z9D can absolutely go toe-to-toe with OLED for perfect blacks. I pulled the blinds down for this, but I kept the light on the bottom of the TV and reciever on so you can see the blacks haven't been crushed in post processing.

mlkXOpF.jpg

dzNKPoF.jpg

EOsRefT.jpg

kaKASyr.jpg

Uncharted 4 - just for the graphics... *drool*

NjaZv1x.jpg

lIyxClZ.jpg

rm47Ly9.jpg

8ezqhab.jpg

Cut out some of the images so I didn't make a mess, holy shit though...I'd buy that TV, but isn't it even more expensive than some OLED sets?

Lexxism

*images*

Damn. That's actually pretty damn good. Then I saw the price. It only cost 7,499 Canadian Dollars before taxes for the 65" at Sony store. Dammit lol

Top Bottom