• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Dog’s Purpose (film) accused of animal cruelty after disturbing footage emerges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to fully judge without seeing how the dog got in the water. It is bad that the dog was clearly distressed but more than anything in the initial part the trainer seemed to just be trying to not get the dog to run away and not forcing it in the water. He could have even been doing that because he was worried if the dog did run off it might have fallen in. The times the dog did end up over the edge he pulled it back up which might show a sign that they were not going to let the dog in if it wasn't ready. The fact that we conveniently don't see how the dog got in despite the fact that multiple people were clearly filming from multiple locations makes me think in the end the dog did jump in by itself and wasn't forcefully tossed in or anything. Which really changes the story TMZ are trying to push. But if they did toss the dog in it is obviously terrible and the guy commentating from the first angle was an asshole laughing about it and trying to encourage throwing the dog in.

What? He was shoving it down into the water and only pulled it our because it was in danger of panic drowning. Dunking it in when it was clearly refusing then hauling it out by the collar isn't very humane.

The disturbing thing in this video is the commentary over the video and the person filming.

It's even more alarming, in my opinion, to see the outrage this has already generated. The crux of this video is completely cut; we have no idea how the dog enters the water. The trainer clearly pulls him out at the end of the first clip.

The clickbait title of "A DOG'S PURPOSE' TERRIFIED GERMAN SHEPHERD FORCED INTO TURBULENT WATER | TMZ" is clearly constructing a narrative.

I don't like seeing harm come to animals but I don't think, from the video, you can determine any malicious intent.
Editing doesn't matter when the "trainer" is shown mishandling the dog trying to force her into the water.
The dog would rather die than swim. "Oh no, where will we find another German shepherd? We must film this now."

Also, I refuse to believe Dennis Quaid allowed this to happen.
I doubt he was on set for this going by the trailer.
Anyone remember seeing "the adventures of milo and Otis" as a kid? I do. What I didn't hear until later was that 20 kittens were rumored to be killed during the filming of that movie.

Also there was one ill conceived scene featuring a pug fighting a bear:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZptPu75E4xA

Lunacy.
I saw Milo and Otis once as a kid, didn't like it and never saw it again.

Seriously I have no idea why some of you are overreacting. And to the people who were originally going to watch this movie, seriously? The movie looked like shit from the onset

Anyway the video isn't really as bad as everyone is trying to make it. They obviously aren't trying to endanger the dog. They made a mistake like most people often do
The way some people are talking about them and comparing them to Milo and Otis is honestly annoying and disingenuous. You know considering Milo and Otis had allegations of breaking a Cat's paw and actual murder. This is just them assuming a Dog can doggy paddle whilst they even show concern towards the end. Even the guy in Green in the first half doesn't just let the Dog sink into the water as he picks it back up over the ledge.

Can I make the point that "actual murder" would mean that a human was killed and another human was tried and convicted in a court of law for murdering that person, and as such one could say that you're overreacting about Milo and Otis?

I mean you're not, what happened was terrible, but this is not a good thing that happened by any means. It was horribly irresponsible of the crew to have allowed the situation to escalate the way it did, and even the animal supervisor wasn't keen enough to see the potential risk of harm to the dog.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
My dogs react the same when I have to bathe them, such a pain.

Yeah, folks in here obviously never bathed a skittish pup.

You have to reassure them constantly and to a bystander it may look like you're deliberately torturing the animal.

The shot of the handler dipping it in the water must have been to get it acclimated.

Ideally the most trusted person by the animal should go in with it.

Ofcourse, one thing is to bathe a pup, another is shooting a movie with a bunch of strangers in a noisy water contraption.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
It's not acceptable to treat human beings like this then it shouldn't be acceptable to treat animals like this. This is fucked up.

I found the video disturbing.

I believe some people who think it's not a big deal aren't considering the context. No, this is not like a dog freaking out at bath time.

Bathing a dog is to improve its health and wellness, and it's in no real danger. Yes, a dog can show signs of stress before getting in the tub but it's never in harm's way.

This dog clearly was in harm's way. It was in danger—that's why the were spotters. And this stunt had nothing to do with health and wellness.

This dog was put in a genuinely dangerous situation against its will. That's messed up.

I found the video disturbing.

I believe some people who think it's not a big deal aren't considering the context. No, this is not like a dog freaking out at bath time.

Bathing a dog is to improve its health and wellness, and it's in no real danger. Yes, a dog can show signs of stress before getting in the tub but it's never in harm's way.

This dog clearly was in harm's way. It was in danger—that's why the were spotters. And this stunt had nothing to do with health and wellness.

This dog was put in a genuinely dangerous situation against its will. That's messed up.

Yeah, it's a pretty darned big false equivalence. It'd be like arguing that you have to take your dog to the vet in your car - no matter how alarmed it is to be in the car - as justification for why a dog was involved in a dangerous vehicle stunt.

xrnzaaas

The sad truth is that animals are abused in a lot of films, because CG is too expensive or trained animals are too expensive (in this case even that wouldn't be an excuse). This is just one of the rare cases where it becomes public knowledge.

PS. I hope that the movie bombs hard.

Spyware

Two things about this bothers me greatly.
1. The way they don't stop trying when the dog extremely clearly can't stand the setting. A panicked dog like that will not swim properly. Heck, any responsible dog owner in sweden uses a life jacket on a dog you bring to a harbor, island, boat, place with strong rivers or just any place where the dog can jump/fall in without it reaching down to the bottom (so a beach is usually fine). We have been taught that even great swimmers can suddenly drown from a multitude of reasons.

2. The way they don't rescue it when it's way off course and up against the wall but still above water. It should have been very clear even to these stupid people that the shot was a failure at that point. But no, they wait until the dog goes under before they rescue him. Terrible people.

Edit: Alright, read that it was on two completely different days. The first part shows what some say is the handler "trying to help the dog get used to it" but that handler must be incompetent af then. The pulling, dropping down and pushing won't help and can hurt the dog quite a bit. You can't do that to a dog's neck!
That sort of training should be done with a beach/ramp setting where they go in together and the dog can stand on something, and where the dog has an esy and clear escape route.

My second point still stands. The dog was pushed up against the wall and clearly distressed before it went under. Sure, he's fine but he could just as likely not have been.

RinsFury

Ugh, that was disturbing to watch, that poor dog. Fuck this movie and everyone involved with this. I will never watch this.

zeemumu

I probably wasn't going to watch this movie anyway because it pretty much seems like "watch this dog die over and over" and I can't even get through Marley and Me.

Jackpot

Banned
Aren't all "No animals were hurt during the making of this film" signs largely lies? I remember an article detailing all the different animals that had died en masse for really popular films.

correojon

Maybe they really took the shots in separate days and waited until the dog was OK to shoot the scene, but the way the trainer puts the dog into the water is fucked up. You can´t convince someone that it´s a nice environment when they are hanging by the neck in that position, the poor dog was terrified. What could have happened if the dog, in it´s terror, had slipped from the trainer´s grip? The whole situation shows little regard for the dog.

Nice bait post.

If a person punches a piece of their own property such as a pillow or a toaster it doesn't automatically make them more predisposed to do the same thing to another human being. If they do that to a dog, it does.

The post was a reply to the post asking where the dog signed a contract. In the eyes of the law and society at large, the dog is property.

It wasn't a bait post nor was it something to try and claim dogs (and cats) don't have certain rights to protect them from abuse.

jett

D-Member
It's amazing how this forum has a defense force for seemingly every despicable piece of news that comes our way.

But not your own. Why even bother with such a fallacious response?

I can be arrested for damaging my own house. If I set fire to my house, I'm endangering life and will be arrested. Same if I damage my house to such an extent that it affects my neighbours.

I thought that was obvious.

Aren't all "No animals were hurt during the making of this film" signs largely lies? I remember an article detailing all the different animals that had died en masse for really popular films.

Yup, I'm an aspiring filmmaker, I'm someone who really values practical effects, but the more stories I read about the way animals are handled and sourced in Hollywood, the more I believe that the only animal that ought to be in a big film is a CGI one.

Crub

This was probably terrifying for the dog but at the end of the day it probably lives a far better life than most animals owned by humans. How people can react so strongly to this, yet consume large amounts of meat with zero guilt is really weird to me.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
i see that no one has disagreed or made an argument against this post. not surprised.

the whole problem with this argument is the fact that there is no difference morally between a dog, chicken, cow, pig, goat, fish, etc.

it's not like one is a living feeling thing and one is an inanimate object. they are all sentient living things. what's morally wrong to do to a dog is morally wrong to do to any other sentient animal.

Morality? Your version of morality hasn't existed in humanity, well, ever. For all of human history we have generally done what we needed to in order to support ourselves as a species. This is natural selection at work, and we are the dominate species. Arguments of human morality really don't extend into the animal kingdom very far, unless the action somehow runs counter to the role we have given the animals subservient to us (see domestication).

For example, we have given status to dogs and chickens (and other subservient species), each has had a role to play in the hierarchy. We actually created the modern dog through artificial evolution. They would not exist if not for our need for protectors. The first "Dogs" were just grey wolves that were either taken as pups or just befriended man for their own reasons (likely easy access to food). In return for taking care of them we trained "Dogs" to be protectors and warn us of danger. Today you have protector dogs and companion dogs (or a combination of the two). That is their current role, and it affords dogs a special status that sees us extend our morality to include them. Dogs have never really been seen as a food either. Also, it helps that dogs are seemingly more intelligent than other animals. Hell, some dogs can exhibit emotions or have personalities that are eerily "Human-like".

A Chicken's role is to provide sustenance in the form of eggs or meat. They have no other worth to humanity as a whole. Since they are lower in the hierarchy very few humans feel morally obligated to them. Historically chickens have been food. I would wager most humans see them as closer to plants than dogs.

Throughout our evolution the extent of which we cared about animals was "What can said animal do for me". If the animal had a role to play we domesticated them. If they didn't we tried to leave them alone (we failed at this a lot, see hunting things to extinction). I am sure some psychologist would say that early humans desensitized themselves to eating certain animals which we still do today, and I would agree with that.

Lastly, morality is something that is fluid. It is not set in stone. Generally morality is defined by a people's culture and that culture can be vastly different. I mean, there are cultures on earth right now where eating beef is immoral and others where eating dog is moral.

Living in the west, eating chicken is moral, and harming dogs isn't. If that bothers you, well, sorry but your feelings as an individual don't matter. Only the collective culture matters. That doesn't mean you can't have your own values, but don't feign surprise when the average person goes against them.

As for this video, as a dog owner and lover (she comes to work with me!), this video wasn't really that disturbing. I have had dogs fight me like that just to take a bath! That said, while I don't find it "disturbing", I don't think they had adequate safety measures in place and they should be fined for that.

Jackpot

Banned
I can be arrested for damaging my own house. If I set fire to my house, I'm endangering life and will be arrested. Same if I damage my house to such an extent that it affects my neighbours.

I thought that was obvious.

Again, you're deliberately ignoring the point and straying into other crimes such as noise disturbance and fire hazards.

It's so dumb it's embarrassing.

Compare: taking a sledgehammer to a non-load bearing drywall in your own house and taking a sledgehammer to your dog. Both are property, amirite?

Again, you're deliberately ignoring the point and straying into other crimes such as noise disturbance and fire hazards.

Compare: taking a sledgehammer to a non-load bearing drywall in your own house and taking a sledgehammer to your dog. Both are property, amirite?

Don't be dumb. You are making an argument against nobody. You just read the word "property" and let your imaginations run wild, without taking into account why that comment was made and by whom.

Animal safety is constantly compromised during shoots and the story never fucking surfaces. I have heard so many fucking horror stories from buddies of mine and it's honestly why I refuse to write an animal into my projects because I just don't feel confident in the handlers that are working on these sets.

This is a particularly extreme example of the animal's safety being put at risk for a shot. Why they didn't opt for a CG stand in or just the cut the scene entirely is beyond me, but this is some fucking despicable shit right here and there's no excuse for this. That poor fucking dog, man. I hope this video kills the careers of those responsible for letting this happen.

Jackpot

Banned
Don't be dumb. You are making an argument against nobody. You just read the word "property" and let your imaginations run wild, without taking into account why that comment was made and by whom.

Then he won't mind confirming the difference instead of continuing to argue in bad faith, will he?

Ridiculously extreme example for the sake of trying to shutdown the argument, but unsurprisingly still doesn't refute the point that dogs are property.

They might have more rights in some countries than say a house, but that doesn't change my initial point.

You're free to argue dogs aren't property. I'd actually like to see that argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom