• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF11 newbie looking for help/stuff/power levelling

I just started the game and aside from some help from a few nice guys, I have no idea where to go. At the moment I'm slaughtering bumblebees outside Windurst on the Carbuncle server, name is Telperiel. If anyone happens to be around, I'd appreciate some help.

teiresias

There are ways to get on the server you want, anyway, there's an entire topic about FFXI in the online gaming forum.

Tabris

Earn your own way.

You'll get blisted and a bad reputation pretty quick if you beg for stuff/power leveling.

IJoel

SiegfriedFM said:
Too bad I didn't have a choice then... meh.

You can keep creating characters until you get the server you want (it's random). This is, unless you already have an existing char you are using. In that case the game puts subsequent chars in the same server. But you could delete the current one and keep trying if you really want a specific server.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'd help you out, but I'm the last person you want giving advice on how to level.

Also, power-levelers suck. Don't be one of them.

Scott

God. Dammit.

I give it a few years time before cheating in FFXI is as rampant as it is in Diablo or PSO. It's already increased a lot in the last few months, so much in fact that I can't run through a low-level zone now without seeing it, and every 3rd or 4th party, there's someone who can "Get ahold of a PLer." And hell, I can't even escape this bullshit in my own Linkshell!

Unfortunately, it also seems like Square Enix isn't going to do a damn thing about this problem. What a shame. I guess I'll just have to enjoy the game before it all goes to hell, eh? I dread the day where I'll have to shout "<job> (Looking for Party). Legit Only!" It'll pain me, but it's probably going to happen at this rate.

Anyway...
SiegfriedFM, don't go the cheating route, please. There's already way too much of that shit going on, and you're just going to harm yourself (not to mention your future parties), by not learning how to play your jobs correctly. And trust me, a few quick levels isn't going to help you at all in the long-run.

Tabris

Uhmmm...

Every MMORPG has powerlevelers. It's not "cheating".

You're associating powerleveling with wall hacks and map hacks and such.

Now bot fishing, that's cheating.

RuGalz

Playing with people who can't properly handle emergency situation or lack of good grasp of how to maximize their contributions to party cuz they had been powerleveled all along sucks.

Belfast

Yeah, even powerlevels manage to get to 30 or 40 or even 50 without doing jack on their own, they're going to eventually run up into a wall where higher-level characters can't help them XP anymore. Then they'll be forced to party and nobody else is going to want them, because they'll suck so bad at their job. Also, I imagine while they're so busy xping like madmen they'll forget to go out and farm, meaning they'll be stuck with gimped equipment all the time. I don't like powerlevelling, either, but I don't think it'll become a big problem as it can be capped at some point and then those people are screwed. Its a self-defeating ideaology. A *little* PLing doesn't bother me too much, as long as the player has experienced the hard way first (like they've been stuck at level 15 in Valkurm for a week and their only stumbling block is the people around them, for instance). Its really the people that abuse the system that piss me off.

Fish-botting sucks, too, but thankfully its really the only true means of cheating in the game so far. FFXI has enough non-cheatable content that its rediculous. You'll never be able to tackle higher-level stuff and missions and crap through cheating.

Tabris

After my first run, the following 3 runs, from level 9 until 20, I've been powerleveled. There's no point going through the long solo run (9 to 12) and dunes (12-20). You really don't have enough options. You aren't learning anything except beginning party dynamics.

I think in some cases you're confusing bad players with people who've been powerleveled.

I've noticed most people who've been powerleveled are skill players that just don't need to go through the dull phases of the game again.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Belfast said:
Yeah, even powerlevels manage to get to 30 or 40 or even 50 without doing jack on their own, they're going to eventually run up into a wall where higher-level characters can't help them XP anymore. Then they'll be forced to party and nobody else is going to want them, because they'll suck so bad at their job. Also, I imagine while they're so busy xping like madmen they'll forget to go out and farm, meaning they'll be stuck with gimped equipment all the time. I don't like powerlevelling, either, but I don't think it'll become a big problem as it can be capped at some point and then those people are screwed. Its a self-defeating ideaology. A *little* PLing doesn't bother me too much, as long as the player has experienced the hard way first (like they've been stuck at level 15 in Valkurm for a week and their only stumbling block is the people around them, for instance). Its really the people that abuse the system that piss me off.

Fish-botting sucks, too, but thankfully its really the only true means of cheating in the game so far. FFXI has enough non-cheatable content that its rediculous. You'll never be able to tackle higher-level stuff and missions and crap through cheating.

Yeah, PLers just defeat themselves in the long run. By doing what they do, these players just don't learn the game resulting in tanks who can't hold hate, blms who don't know how to spam properly etc. These people may PL to 30 or something, but since they don't know how to play, they'll start gimping up PTs, resulting in getting kicked and BListed. It's just that we'll have to put up with these morons sometimes while leveling ourselves (unless, of course, you're running in a static).

The only time I will PL someone is if they need to lvl up a sub, and then I'll only help them get through the grind to lvl 10 so they can head to the Dunes, or the Maze to start PTing.

tenchir

I am thinking of getting into FFXI again, but I really don't want to go through the dull process of getting to level 20s again(That's where the fun starts).

Top Bottom