• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS Blog: Hideo Kojima Death Stranding interview: Strands, Decima and Guerrilla

Wereroku

They posted the trademark that means nothing.

Sony owns Everybody's Gone to the Rapture trademark in US too.

I guess people are not understanding how trademark works lol

They don't.

I used examples that Sony didn't own the IP.

This was posted in an old ass neogaf thread. Seems like Sony bought the IP from QD.

They posted the trademark which doesn't mean they own the IP. Looking for proof they actually own the IP like everyone is saying.

We know that Sony's policy is IP ownership if they are investing in the project. As we have seen that does not mean the game will not come to PC as we have seen with 2 traditionally pc developers getting their games released on steam. However the scale of investment and prestige make me think it is unlikely in this case.

Usually when you go to use, buy or borrow an engine, someone will say, “Lend us your name,” or of course ask for payment. We had no contract with Guerrilla Games, but when we met them they suddenly gave us a box, a very pretty box. When we opened the box, there was a USB dongle inside that had the source code for the engine.

Keep in mind we had no contract or anything at this stage, yet still they handed over what was basically the crystallisation of their efforts over many years. They simply said, “Mr. Kojima please use this engine,” and we thought these people are incredible.

There was one condition though, that Kojima Productions doesn’t just use the engine, but that we develop the engine together with Guerrilla Games, that it should be a collaborative effort. So we were really blown away by their stance on this and being so open with the engine and we thought “Wow, these are the people we have to work with.”

This is so great of them. Herman Hulst seems like such a genuinely great guy.

I think the jokes about long dev time are getting old. If this game comes out at the end of next year or start of 2019 (first quarter), people are going to be eating some words about 4-5 year cycle. I'm thinking 3 years dev time. Them working with GG on the engine could also speed things up some, I gather.

Yeah, they've made two comments on the release date. One to say that of course they have a release date otherwise they wouldn't be able to nail down a budget. And Kojima noted that it would be out before the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

Shari

Love how in the first page everybody loves the "no strings attached" on Guerrilla giving the engine but the second page is all full of "ITS EXCLUSIVE SONY OWNS THE ENGINE AND THE IP LOLOLOLOLOLOL".

So cute, the fanboys and the "no strings attached" lel.

I say we replace naughty dog as best first party studio for GG who's with me!!!

*Crickets

Joking aside I do wonder if Sony are in talks to simply absorb Kojima productions into being a first party

Salex_

Love how in the first page everybody loves the "no strings attached" on Guerrilla giving the engine but the second page is all full of "ITS EXCLUSIVE SONY OWNS THE ENGINE AND THE IP LOLOLOLOLOLOL".

Calling anyone who answers a question a "fanboy" is really showing how mature you are. It's "cute".

They posted the trademark that means nothing.

Sony owns Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture trademark in US too.

I guess people are not understanding how trademark works lol

They don't.

I used examples that Sony didn't own the IP.

Eh trademark means *something*. For one, it means that no company can use that title or logo without the possibility of legal challenge. When people talk about a publisher "owning the IP", owning the trademark is a major piece of that. The other major piece is the copyrighted material in the game itself.

If Sony is publishing, the likelihood is that the entirety of the franchise will be exclusive to PlayStation. That's the typical deal for SCE. Granted Kojima is a special person, and could get special treatment. As of what's public, theres no reason to believe it.

vivekTO

Hmm... lol not lel!!

But it doesn't say "no strings attached" in the quote in the OP. They gave him a copy of the engine on USB and asked Kojima to choose their engine. It was a gesture more than anything, because before KojiPro could begin using the engine for any commercial purposes contracts would need to be drawn up.

ethomaz

Banned
Eh trademark means *something*. For one, it means that no company can use that title or logo without the possibility of legal challenge. When people talk about a publisher "owning the IP", owning the trademark is a major piece of that. The other major piece is the copyrighted material in the game itself.

If Sony is publishing, the likelihood is that the entirety of the franchise will be exclusive to PlayStation. That's the typical deal for SCE. Granted Kojima is a special person, and could get special treatment. As of what's public, theres no reason to believe it.
Like I said...

Sony published, has the trademark, etc of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

They didn't own the IP.

BTW Sony itself: https://www.sie.com/en/corporate/release/2016/160614a.html

Kojima sure loves his technology and he made the right move getting in on Guerilla's engine. Horizon is proof enough that it should work extremely well for his vision.

What's also lovely is this collab and Decima being ready means that we could get the game sooner than expected i.e. not 2020+ like people were making jokes about when DS was first announced.

Like I said...

Sony published, has the trademark, etc of Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture.

They didn't own the IP.

Uh, I think you're wrong on this. What makes you think they don't own the IP of EGttR?

EDIT - from its page on the PSN store:

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture™ ©2015 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. Published by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Developed by The Chinese Room. “Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture” is a trademark or a registered trademark of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. All rights reserved.

Loudninja

OléGunner;230863512 said:
Kojima sure loves his technology and he made the right move getting in on Guerilla's engine. Horizon is proof enough that it should work extremely well for his vision.

What's also lovely is this collab and Decima being ready means that we could get the game sooner than expected i.e. not 2020+ like people were making jokes about when DS was first announced.
Yeah have an engine already saves alot of time I am sure.

Shari

But it doesn't say "no strings attached" in the quote in the OP. They gave him a copy of the engine on USB and asked Kojima to choose their engine. It was a gesture more than anything, because before KojiPro could begin using the engine for any commercial purposes contracts would need to be drawn up.

Yes you are right and this is how I've read it as well. I just found hilarious the narrative of the "no strings attached" until the questions about a PC version started to pop in the second page and all the shits and giggles turned into "OMG SONY'S ENGINE AND IP LOLOLOL".

I have no clue who owns the IP but I love people believing that they're all friends and make presents on projects of several dozen millions of dollars.

And then I get called immature and stuff, it's really all brilliant.

Dinda

I hope neither Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen or any other Hollywood Actor is the Player Character. I don't want Video Games to turn into movies.
Also if this will end up being an open world game with some kind of multiplayer, which is what it sounds like, it would be best to just have Character Creation. I always find it stupid if games with a set Character have "real" multiplayer. And everyone is basically the same person.

Loudninja

I hope neither Norman Reedus, Mads Mikkelsen or any other Hollywood Actor is the Player Character. I don't want Video Games to turn into movies.
Also if this will end up being an open world game with some kind of multiplayer, which is what it sounds like, it would be best to just have Character Creation. I always find it stupid if games with a set Character have "real" multiplayer. And everyone is basically the same person.
Seriously?

Gurish

So the engine is not really Horizon's engine anymore, it's a new custom engine that is based on it and it was made by both GG and Kojipro right?

Sounds VERY promising to say the least, both very high quality devs technically wise.

Yes you are right and this is how I've read it as well. I just found hilarious the narrative of the "no strings attached" until the questions about a PC version started to pop in the second page and all the shits and giggles turned into "OMG SONY'S ENGINE AND IP LOLOLOL".

I have no clue who owns the IP but I love people believing that they're all friends and make presents on projects of several dozen millions of dollars.

And then I get called immature and stuff, it's really all brilliant.

So, you're in a thread basically masking an insult to the lot that actually have enthusiasm for the topic.

While people are actually trying to discuss things, you just want to put them down?

Holier than thou?
Pic Related:
HIDEO-728x409.png

So the engine is not really Horizon's engine anymore, it's a new custom engine that is based on it and it was made by both GG and Kojipro right?

Sounds VERY promising to say the least, both very high quality devs technically wise.

From what I understand, the engine's been around awhile and before it had a name, was used in Until Dawn, another first party game. Edit: I think people were calling it the KZ engine when Shadow Fall was shown/came out.

That's what it sounds like. It's essentially both of theirs now and it's something both teams will be developing further and passing back and forth..It's going to be one hell of a engine

Awesome information BUT is it Playstation Exclusive? Console Exclusive? Will there be label on the damn box art?!

I NEED TO KNOW! Otherwise it's all lies.

Grinning ear to ear reading this part

And what specifically led to the adoption of Guerrilla Games’ Engine?

I visited many studios all around the world, meeting many great people. Guerrilla Games in Amsterdam: their technology was just a league ahead of everywhere else. Even though they have an open world they are able to render very rich scenes with many objects. As you know their upcoming game Horizon Zero Dawn, which is coming out in February, has an artistic sensibility, particularly with regards to the use of color, whereas we’re looking for a very photo-realistic sensibility.

Their engine is built for their purposes, for the game that they wanted to create, and as I said we wanted to create a game that even at the very base levels looks very different from that, so we needed to test it to see how far we could tune their engine to fit our purposes.

Usually when you go to use, buy or borrow an engine, someone will say, “Lend us your name,” or of course ask for payment. We had no contract with Guerrilla Games, but when we met them they suddenly gave us a box, a very pretty box. When we opened the box, there was a USB dongle inside that had the source code for the engine.

Keep in mind we had no contract or anything at this stage, yet still they handed over what was basically the crystallisation of their efforts over many years. They simply said, “Mr. Kojima please use this engine,” and we thought these people are incredible.

There was one condition though, that Kojima Productions doesn’t just use the engine, but that we develop the engine together with Guerrilla Games, that it should be a collaborative effort. So we were really blown away by their stance on this and being so open with the engine and we thought “Wow, these are the people we have to work with.”

Yeah, they've made two comments on the release date. One to say that of course they have a release date otherwise they wouldn't be able to nail down a budget. And Kojima noted that it would be out before the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo.

I've read something to that effect, yes.

People making the jokes don't seem to realize this is an entirely different scenario from the Konami Hell hole tenure.

Icolin

Banned
Well, this thread went in an expected direction. Took longer than usual too. Kudos.

It's a shame, because a lot of the information Kojima gave is pretty fascinating, whether it's the partnership with Guerrilla or what the gameplay is gonna be.

BUT DO WE KNOW IT'S EXCLUSIVE???

I fully expect this to be just like MGSV but with more weird/horror stuff.

I fully expect this is what he actually wanted to make but was forced to do MGSV instead and so was shackled to the constraints of that IP.

Death Stranding would definitely going to be a new and improved MGSV but with more polish and none of the baggage

This is pretty much what the thread is now, lol.

Uhh, that other thread was becoming tiresome to read.

Thank you, I know it is. Just making fun how ridiculous that other thread had become with labels and console/PS Exclusive, lies/half truths, whatever.

Looking forward to the next weird game from Kojima.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Kojima's programming team has always been full of extremely talented coders. This is what he managed to do on the PS3.

giphy.gif

They excel at character models, cinematography and camera work.

cgfKHXX.gif

I dont know if the engine is where the cutscene scripting goes, but i really hope GG learns a thing or two about cutscene direction and cinematography from KojiPro.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom