• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror clash: Friday the 13th VS Dead by Daylight

Castef

Banned
Friday the 13th and Dead by Daylight: considering that the two games are somehow similar I was wondering which one, according to you, is better in multiplayer.

Could you provide an opinion, with a little bit of reasons attached to it? :)

creatchee

Friday the 13th and Dead by Daylight: considering that the two games are somehow similar I was wondering which one, according to you, is better in multiplayer.

Could you provide an opinion, with a little bit of reasons attached to it? :)

Dead by Daylight is better if you're solo queuing, Friday the 13th for teams or parties. Also, F13 is WAY more dependant on the other people in your game in terms of both success and enjoyment.

It's weird. Friday the 13th is a dogshit game, but it's so broken and shitty it's fun to play with friends. Best and worst $40 game purchase. Dead by Daylight isn't bad at all, as a GAME it's better than F13.

Oreoleo

Dead by Daylight is my preference. I only played F13 in the beta (so take my criticisms with a grain of salt) but my perception is that DbD has more back-and-forth between the survivors and the killer which ultimately makes the game more fun and interesting. In DbD there are opportunities to outrun, outsmart and hide from the killer. Even if the killer catches you there is a chance to wiggle free from his grasp, free yourself from the hook, or have a team mate come and rescue you. In F13 once Jason finds you it's pretty much over, there's little chance of getting away unless he decides to focus someone else since he can just teleport on top of you, and if you're in a house it glows bright red giving away your position from literally across the map.

And if you are interested in playing the killer I'm certain DbD has more variety there as the playstyles of the different killers vary wildly. It's probably the same with the survivors, being able to mix and match perks/items/loadouts but I'm not sure how differently the different survivors in F13 play. In the beta it kinda just looked like minor stat differences for things like speed, stamina etc. DbD has more content just by virtue of being out longer (another free survivor, killer and map come out in a few days as well edit: probably not applicable if you are on console) and will most likely have more longevity for you unless you are an enormous Friday the 13th fan. Also worth mentioning DbD has Halloween/Michael Myers DLC if you're more into that franchise.

SuperPac

It's weird. Friday the 13th is a dogshit game, but it's so broken and shitty it's fun to play with friends. Best and worst $40 game purchase. Dead by Daylight isn't bad at all, as a GAME it's better than F13.

I agree with this. F13 is glitchy AF, it can take forever to get into a game, sometimes the people you're playing with are cheaters/teamkillers, not many people use a mic while playing, but - when you get a good group it is SO. MUCH. FUN.

Dead By Daylight is a good game. I don't find it as tense as F13 or as open-ended. It's enjoyable and there's really no time wasted getting in games and such.

I have them both on PC and PS4, and I love them both (on PC).
I'll start with: Dead by Daylight has a lot more content overall available and the levels are procedurally generated so it's always mixed up which adds to replay value. Dead by Daylight is also simpler overall in that, as a survivor, your job is to fix 5 generators and escape. As a killer, you hunt the survivors, knock them down then sacrifice them on big spooky hooks. There's a lot of tension in releasing other survivors, hiding and getting away from the killer. And you will get away if you play your cards right. As a killer, it's a lot of fun getting the drop on people or using your special powers. However if there's one thing I don't like about DbD (and this is purely from my own experience) it's that there is no skill based matchmaking. When I first got the PC version after playing on PS4 for hours and hours, I jumped into a game as a killer, naked as the day I was born (so to speak, had no extra abilities) and was matched with survivors who were all high rank and had epic-level rare items to use. One guy was able to completely repair a generator in what seemed like 5 seconds. Needless to say, I didn't stand a chance that game and lost. It wasn't a level playing field, even though Killer/Survivor balance is what Dead by Daylight strives for.

Friday the 13th... Again, got on PS4 first, then jumped to PC. I'll say this first: if you're playing on a console, the general player base is the game's biggest problem. And if you're thinking about getting it on Xbox... don't. Now, between the two, I think I like Friday the 13th better. When you start F13, you're obviously a counselor or Jason. And if you've ever seen a Friday the 13th movie, JASON IS OVERPOWERED. He is supposed to be. people seem to lose sight of that fact and whine and complain when he grabs someone and kills them near-instantly. It's what Mr. Voorhees does. Other than Jason being OP by design, the game itself generally is a little more balanced from the beginning. All the counselors can get perks that do things like make them harder for Jason to sense, or start them with First Aid spray or something (if the perk works and doesn't glitch out.) There are three levels in F13, and each has similar goals of which you can do one, or multiple: Phone police, call Tommy, fix car/boat and escape. So theres a few things you can do but 99.9% of the time, they will require communication and teamwork even with strangers. Teamwork is even MORE important if you go for the "secret" goal: Kill Jason. I'll let you learn how to do that on your own.
With F13, you have to search cabins for weapons, parts, first aid, things to slow Jason down, etc. They're randomly placed, and that's both a blessing and a curse. I've had games where I found literally nothing except a tree branch as a weapon, and others where the game started me near a boat, with a cabin close by that had gas and a boat propeller in it. I fixed that boat and got away in less that 2 minutes.
As for communication, DbD does not need communication but F13 DOES. There's nothing worse than the guy who doesn't speak being killed in the middle of nowhere with the car keys or phone box fuse in his pockets. Having said that, on the PC at least, the vast majority of my games have been very good and socially pleasant in F13. I can't say the same about the PS4 version, but it is what it is.
Friday the 13th does have a mess of glitches and the devs are working on that. But you will likely run into some problems, some that may break the game so you can't win, like cars being tossed into trees, or Jason being thrown into the sky.

Overall, I'd give my vote to Friday the 13th on PC, mostly because I love the franchise and it not only has a bit more style, but also has a bunch of F13 movie alumni who worked on it.
On console, Dead by Daylight for sure. It is fun, easy to jump in and out of, and brings the right kind of tension.
But I love them both, so it's literally difference of like, 5 for F13 and 4.9 for DbD. They're both worth it really. Sorry this went on longer than I intended...

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Friday should be. I love the franchise so much. Preordered it and all the dlc on my PC, but it's so fucking unoptimized it somehow runs like shit on my 1080, even at 1080p. I ran the beta like silk maxed out at 4k. Hell, I've got tons of toys and replica masks, even a Jason tattoo. Let's just say I'm a big fan. My favorite film series. It's something my oldest daughter and I have in common.

I've only played maybe 10 hours since release because the performance bugged me so much. I'm always tempted to buy it on PS4, where I assume the performance is acceptable.

DbD is good, too. I like the variety of killers, and it's got great lore. The devs make interesting videos for progress updates weekly. It is smaller in scope, for sure. Before Friday released I was sure it would kill DbD. The DbD team is way more concerned with new dlc than optimizing their game.

Yet, at the end of the day, I admit I have more fun with DbD.

It's like one of the great quandaries of my life. I'll admit unto my dying day that Night of the Living Dead is the best movie ever made, but I'd rather watch Return of the Living Dead any day.

Just one of those things, baby.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I keep alternating between them. Really tough to pick a fave.

F13 is a lot more asymetical and Jason has a lot better chance of tracking down and finding the larger group. Someone mentioned that you can kill Jason but the process is obscure and require a pretty coordinated team. In general, Jason is way more powerful than the survivors and often starts finishing them off a lot more quickly. This means more time spectating but you have a chance to come back as Tommy Jarvis.

DbD has a group of just four survivors, but they have objectives keeping them revisiting certain places on the map. You get a bigger variety of killers to choose from with their own backstories and powers, which makes for a little more variety. But honestly you have less to do as the killer other than find the survivors, which is harder, and hook them on sacrificial hooks for "the entity" to collect.

F13 is jankier... by far. DbD is Starbreeze, polished, nice graphics, great music, and a more "designed" gameplay experience with more balanced objectives. F13 is looser, rougher, less fair, but with more secrets to uncover.

I will say this: DbD inserts the entity (and putting victims on hooks) between playing as a scary killer in an asymmetrical horror-movie-killer game. This is kind of a bummer because you never personally kill anyone, and F13 has an unlockable set of Jason's classic kills. Finishing a survivor off personally is a key part of the experience that DbD almost tries to manuever you into avoiding (since you should roam and lure more survivors for more hooking).

This, along with all the movie references and nostalgia, make F13 the "online slasher movie" experience, in faithfulness.

DbD has all the trappings, but it really ought to be an alien game where you gather victims and bring them back to the nest for impregnation, for how it plays.

In the beta it kinda just looked like minor stat differences for things like speed, stamina etc.

These stat diffs are actually huge. Each different survivor is essentially a different class. Try repairing the car with the variety and you'll see what I mean. In DbD it doesn't matter who repirs the engine, in F13 it can make a several second and skill-check difference.

Friday should be. I love the franchise so much. Preordered it and all the dlc on my PC, but it's so fucking unoptimized it somehow runs like shit on my 1080, even at 1080p. I ran the beta like silk maxed out at 4k. Hell, I've got tons of toys and replica masks, even a Jason tattoo. Let's just say I'm a big fan. My favorite film series. It's something my oldest daughter and I have in common.

I've only played maybe 10 hours since release because the performance bugged me so much. I'm always tempted to buy it on PS4, where I assume the performance is acceptable.

DbD is good, too. I like the variety of killers, and it's got great lore. The devs make interesting videos for progress updates weekly. It is smaller in scope, for sure. Before Friday released I was sure it would kill DbD. The DbD team is way more concerned with new dlc than optimizing their game.

Yet, at the end of the day, I admit I have more fun with DbD.

It's like one of the great quandaries of my life. I'll admit unto my dying day that Night of the Living Dead is the best movie ever made, but I'd rather watch Return of the Living Dead any day.

Just one of those things, baby.

You may want to look into your graphics card drivers. I've got a 1070 and am running it at it's best settings at 2560 x 1440 with not a single issue.

And I fully agree with you about Night. But Return is just so much fun to watch!

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Honestly while both sound similar on paper, they're surprisingly different and sort of focus on completely different areas.

Friday the 13th I think is more fun for messing around with friends, sort of 'role-playing' if you will, and I think it has a better atmosphere, but it's more like... It's less of a game strictly, like it is, but honestly the fun of it isn't as much the goal of the game and more the sometimes tense, sometimes silly fun had in the moment-to-moment plays. The gameplay has very few 'skills' to improve on outside of learning, like there's not much to really 'master', just how you respond to things can be fun. It'll be interesting to see how content gets added to Ft13 since currently Dead by Daylight beats this one in that category by a country mile. Friday the 13th I think has more fun stuff to have with, such as fun dumb stuff to do as the survivors, Jason directly kills the humans and has some fun kill moves he can do, but also because of this it's more than possible you can die near the beginning of the match and spend the rest of the time spectating since it's kind of impossible most of the time for anyone to really save you. It's also a LOT jankier and glitchy.

Dead by Daylight is more a proper 'game', there's not as much messing around fun potential with friends like Ft13th. But there's a lot more to master, improve at, and some fun mechanics tied around how it's set-up. There's more going on gameplay wise in Dead by Daylight, and s the game has been out for a while with some dedicated developers there's also strictly more to do in DbD right now as there's a larger variety now in its stages, monsters, etc. The monsters having to attach players to a hook and a period of time before they get dragged to hell does in some ways take away from the fun of being a killer directly killing the survivors, but on the flip-side means the survivors have more of a chance that one and done deaths ala Ft13. There's a lot more in the game set to small things to learn, like audio, how to turn on generators, etc. Though there's only one main gameplay thing for the Killer and Survivors to do, it's much more fleshed out and with a lot more outside and inner mechanics to get used to, also allowing far more strategy with a team.

Friday the 13th is a lot more fun to just mess around in, Dead by Daylight is a lot more fun to get better at and strategize and execute with a team.

arimanius

Having both this is an easy choice.

Solo = Dead by daylight
Group = F13th.

The F13th community is so toxic and I wouldn't play it solo. Also it gets boring fast playing it by yourself. The best part of F13th is the voice chat and shanigens with your friends.

My personal preference right now is DBD but I play isolo and I like the hide and sneak aspect better right now than the scavenger hunt aspect of F13th.

Moofers

OP, I was in your shoes a little over a month ago. I chose Friday the 13th after watching a lot of footage of both games and after talking to people who owned both.

Friday the 13th seems to have greater room for a more varied experience. In Friday, when you play the counselors you have 4 options to escape each match, with one of those options decided randomly before the match begins.

These options are there every time:

-Repair the phone box and call the cops, then after watching a countdown to their arrival, run to the exit where they are waiting.

-Install the battery, fill the gas, and find keys to the 4-seater car. Then drive that car (alone or with others) to one of the two exits on the map.

-Survive for the duration of the 20 minute match. This just means don't get killed. It doesn't matter if Jason is right in front of you when the time is up, if you survive you win.

One of these last two options are randomly determined when the match loads:

-Install the propeller and fill the gas for the motorboat before taking off alone or with one other person. Steer the boat to the one in-water exit on the map.

-Install the battery, fill the gas, and find keys to the 2-seater car. Then drive that car (alone or with another) to one of the two exits on the map.

So compare that to Dead By Daylight where the only option is to repair enough generators and escape according to one of two routes depending on how many other survivors are alive.

In Friday, you can utilize voicechat (as I have) to lie to Jason and get him to leave you alone. Here's a method I recently used that worked perfectly:

I'm in a cabin, searching through drawers for useful items (pocket knives for disabling Jason's traps, or escaping his grasp, health sprays, melee weapons, firecrackers for distraction, etc) and suddenly Jason is breaking down the door. I know that if I speak into my mic, Jason will hear everything I'm saying because when he is in close proximity, he can hear you speaking to your other counselors.

I say "Yeah, you guys are going to have to just go ahead and not wait for me because he's breaking down my door right now. Go ahead and go!"

Jason hears this and thinks my teammates are either getting into one of the cars or perhaps the boat, and he teleports away to one of those points in an effort to stop them and come back to me later. This buys me the time I needed to escape and move to a new part of the map, hopefully finding a key item along the way. Buying time is super important in this game!

Dead by Daylight doesn't have voicechat at all. No opportunity for trickery there.

Friday also has so many great little details that all add up that I couldn't possibly hope to capture here. Trust me on this OP, I came to the conclusion that Friday had a deeper game than DBD and the people I know who have both have all ended up sticking with Friday longer. Its a great game that has some hangups but I'm telling you its fantastic.

If you have any doubt left, see my video where I talk about why I think the game is so great.

I think they both compliment eachother really well.

I play Dead by Daylight when I'm feeling anti-social and dont want to talk to anyone. I play Friday the 13th when I want to play with friends.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno what these guys are on about, cos I loved screwing my friends over in Dead by Daylight. Friday the 13th seems like it gets repetitive since it has fewer maps and I don't want to be forced to interact with people over voice chat for success. Plus the run speed is so much slower than in DbD.

Admittedly, DbD seems like it would get repetitive with fewer objectives, but that hasn't been my experience. Everyone's on the same page for the most part - get the gens and get out/save whoever's hooked up. As a killer, you just want to ensure you kill everyone (or just meme - I love being a meme killer).

Maximus P

If your on xbox I'd avoid Friday the 13th like the plague. The devs have done nothing to fix the games issues even after all this time and I have lost faith in them to support platform.

hzsn724

The community for F13 is destroying it for me. Bought it day one and stuck with it until I found DBD. Lvl 41, and I've escaped numerous times and had fun both surviving and dying when I got in a good match with good ppl. However your teammates are usually idiots that will either bring Jason toward you because they don't want to die, take important items required for escaping and will die without telling anyone where their body/item is, and will snitch you out to Jason, glitch though walls so they are invincible, or actually work with Jason and try to kill you. It's just not fun really when ppl try to break the game for the sake of breaking it. It's also still beyond broken and it's hard to recommend it at this point.

I'm new to DBD but I fell in love with it immediately. The tension is great. The only way to work with ppl in DBD is to help them fix generators or save them when theyre hooked, and you can pretty much go it alone. F13 requires you to work with ppl. You can get away on your own but your chances of survial diminish because you won't know who has the keys/fuse/propeller etc.

Killing is more fun in DBD. Jason can get stunned too easily and then you'll have to deal with 5 dorks teabagging you while you tap 'A' renlentlessly trying to get up and kill them. Once you finally catch them you'll either hear someone calling you homophobic, sexist, or racial slurs.

I love the Jason franchise to death and the devs showed the franchise some love with Savini, Hodder, and Cunningham all on board. However, the "CoD" kids are winning the battle and ruining this fantastic game. Play DbD until they all get banned or bored. No trolls = happy games.

halfbeast

Banned
NtXFNSN.gif

sYx4lkd.jpg

h773rPZ.jpg

2590922-3988854157-kqz1p.gif

x5ynn7h.jpg

8873e4657e134bc866ae829b9209c429.gif

(she's bi)

Jacqli

Both games have shitty communities (and I include myself for DBD), yet I cannot stop playing dead by daylight. It is much more "skill based" than Friday, where luck plays an important role (even playing as Jason is due to luck). In DBD you have to think of strategies, everytime you start working on a generator, look at the enviroment and choose a path to escape for when the killer comes. Know which pallets are safe, know which aren't. Try to guess what perks and objects the killer might be using (I even recommend to read the wiki for this game) and in any case, always think that the killer might have NOED. And the same when you are playing killer.

And the survivor perks. In Friday the perks are not as interesting as in DBD. You have mutiple playstyles in the latter: go full healer (we'll make it plus botany plus empathy plus self care for example), go full hoarder, go full sabo (not worthy unless you do the 99% strategy and are ready to get camped), and so on. It is still riddle with bugs, but it used to be so much worse… that I can safely recommend this game now.

And they will be releasing a new killer and survivor soon and for free. So there is more variety of killers, each one with their own ability, my favourite is Michael Myers because of his lack of terror radius in EW1 and, if you use Monitor and Abusing, then he becomes a beast. And playing against, my favourite is Billy.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Both games have shitty communities (and I include myself for DBD)

DBD is the first game to get me a PSN hate message in a while. Apparently I'm not supposed to babysit survivors once I get them on the hook. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jacqli

DBD is the first game to get me a PSN hate message in a while. Apparently I'm not supposed to babysit survivors once I get them on the hook. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
I do not know why, but this game does get under your skin. On PC there is a chat at the end, but many killers just disconnect before any survivor can say something (and rightfully so, one thing is being a camper, but insults should not be allowed). The developers said they are going to add a soft ban system, but not sure if it is coming to consoles as well.

Imbarkus

I do not know why, but this game does get under your skin. On PC there is a chat at the end, but many killers just disconnect before any survivor can say something (and rightfully so, one thing is being a camper, but insults should not be allowed). The developers said they are going to add a soft ban system, but not sure if it is coming to consoles as well.

They could address it in gameplay: lengthen the "unhook" action yet add a mechanic where the entity won't collect if the killer's too close.

I don't know if the community itself is a problem or if its just a tension point over this weird lack of clarity in the design... why wouldn't I guard a hooked survivor? Aren't I trying to complete sacrifices?

Both games are chock-full of teabagging and exit loitering and baiting, though, so yeah it's probably just the communities. ;D

Laieon

Dead by Daylight didn't hold my interest at all. I've put about 25 hours into Friday the 13th though, it's a lot of fun.

Jacqli

They could address it in gameplay: lengthen the "unhook" action yet add a mechanic where the entity won't collect if the killer's too close.

I don't know if the community itself is a problem or if its just a tension point over this weird lack of clarity in the design... why wouldn't I guard a hooked survivor? Aren't I trying to complete sacrifices?

Both games are chock-full of teabagging and exit loitering and baiting, though, so yeah it's probably just the communities. ;D
I think they increased the time for the hook in the victory cube patch (still not released on console I believe) and they changed the way to rank up for killers.

I am all against camping to be honest except when the doors are activated. It makes the game more boring for both sides (specially for the hooked person) and in some killers camping does not make sense. Why would you camp as Billy when he shines in map control? That is why my most hated killer is the hag, she is only good at camping. Survivors should be doing gen to fight against camping, but I understand when they try to save the person because all of us have been in their shoes before.

On top of that, the game offers two stages when you are hooked. If you hard camp/face camp, basically you are not letting that person of another chance to t-ba… survive and, more importantly, to obtain bloodpoints (this game is a grind fest). If the game wanted you to kill them right away, then it will be more akin to Friday, but it is not the case. The developers even changed mori offerings and now you have to hook the survivors at least once.

Imbarkus

I feel like one of the things that can turn a community poisonous is trying to enforce "game rules" that would be better enforced by the game itself. Just an opinion, though.

The community is atrocious on F13. I've stopped playing it because it's, for me at least, a worthless experience unless you're playing a private match. No host migration, horrible people, shitty glitches, and shitty servers.

The fact that you can't get all your points unless you stick around for the whole game is stupid too. So I have to sit there watching others in order to get my points.

BUT - when playing private matches with friends or people from GAF, it was honestly some of the most fun I've ever had playing a multiplayer game. It's at that point when i don't care if I died 5 minutes in and have to watch 15 minutes of others. Because I can bullshit with the other people that aren't horrible douchebags and watch the movie play out.

Imbarkus

In F13 the fake brand on cola cans around the camp is "Poke," and that's pretty funny. I loled

Also the nurse's backstory paga on DBD is good for a chuckle since it reads like it was run through Google Translate. :D

Top Bottom