• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Undercover cops handcuff teens selling water on National Mall

ColdPizza

Banned
Might have been said already but the NPP gave them a warning to leave on another day and were responding to complaints from vendors with permits to sell food/drink in the area and were being undersold.

Doesn't make it right but at least explains why it happened.

Another poster had a good idea to chip on for a permit for them. I'm all for it so these kids can go back and undercut the fuck out of these other vendors. Free market, bitches.

I'll even donate money to them to just hand out free water.

Nipo

Another poster had a good idea to chip on for a permit for them. I'm all for it so these kids can go back and undercut the fuck out of these other vendors. Free market, bitches.

I'll even donate money to them to just hand out free water.

Funny enough you can hand out free water no problem. The permits from what i can find are damn near impossible to get an handed down among family members. Didn't research it myself though so that might be bullshit.

olag

Apperently water +Black teenagers =
aquaman-star-jason-momoa-up-for-the-crow-reboot-starring-rol_7aax.640.jpg

ColdPizza

Banned
I want to know why handcuffs were needed.

They weren't. The goal was to get these kids to stop selling beverages here without a permit. Even if they ran they would have achieved their goal. This was just an additional indignity they piled on top of things.

If I was an American cop I'd be despised within the force because my response to this 'violation' would have been "sorry guys, you can't sell water here, have a good day".

Why does everything have to be so bloody over the top, I mean I know the answer it's cause they're black. Putting them in handcuffs.... jesus.

So the undercover cops blew their cover to arrest these kids?
Did the drug dealers get away or was the sting always taking down the illegal vendors?

Enzom21

I want to know why handcuffs were needed.
The goal of law enforcement is to make sure we know our place.
They didn't fear for their safety, they did it to demoralize these teens.

The sooner people understand this...

The sooner nothing happens because the vast majority of people don't and won't fucking care.
Exactly.
If folks can't find a cop guilty after watching him murder someone on video, they sure as shit won't care about some of us in cuffs.
If I was an American cop I'd be despised within the force because my response to this 'violation' would have been "sorry guys, you can't sell water here, have a good day".

Good luck with that.

Kettch

Even accepting that this is illegal, why is it necessary to put them in handcuffs and arrest them? Isn't this something you just give people a warning or ticket for and move on?

Is that shocking?
People shoot themselves in the foot everyday to be racist
It's shocking where I'm from (Australia).

Undercover cops would only be used to take down criminals, not to give slap on the wrists to teenagers.

I've also never seen handcuffs on a person in real life. Can't imagine how the kids felt.

If we can chip in and buy them a permit, let me know as I want to donate.

I'll bookmark this page for the next poster that cites FBI data on black crime stats. It's really easy to make a race look like criminals when you criminalize everything they attempt to do to make money.

RS4-

Why does everything have to be so bloody over the top, I mean I know the answer it's cause they're black. Putting them in handcuffs.... jesus.

You'd be under investigation by IA because you didn't at least slap em with cuffs.

akira28

So the undercover cops blew their cover to arrest these kids?
Did the drug dealers get away or was the sting always taking down the illegal vendors?

next week caveman biker guy and spindly middle aged jeans guy will be wearing different disguises.

Giolon

I guess on the bright side they didn't shoot them?

Seriously though, why couldn't they have just been sent packing with a warning? No charges is nice, but the whole endeavor is a waste of everyone's time. Priorities, yo.

It's unbelievable how much BS can spew out of someone's mouth. They detained these kids for their own "safety" and the safety of the officers after nagging them about selling water bottles. Give me a break...

FLEABttn

Banned
Pretty much this, unless they are repeat offenders in which something had to be done.

If you've ever been to the mall during summer months, it is ungodly hot with not really a ton of shade and few drinking fountains (all of which dispense luke-warm water). These kids sell a bottle of water for maybe $1-$2. Nobody is being harmed by this, they're providing a needed service.

F34R

I'm interested in seeing what explanation they'll give on this. If it's simply kids selling w/o a permit, then I would have just told them they'd need a permit and take off.

Gotta protect everyone from these viscous black teenagers. Never know with these kids can do if not detained. Yo seriously what the fuck? If it was some white kids they would tell them they can't sell water there and the officers would have been on their way.

Lol they would have bought water from them if the kids were white and praised their entrepeneurial spirit

Dishwalla

Banned
If you've ever been to the mall during summer months, it is ungodly hot with not really a ton of shade and few drinking fountains (all of which dispense luke-warm water). These kids sell a bottle of water for maybe $1-$2. Nobody is being harmed by this, they're providing a needed service.

Also the legit vending shacks that do sell water and other beverages are few and far between. They seem to all be concentrated between the Washington Monument and the Capitol Building. On the other side of the Wash Monument all the way to the Lincoln Memorial there isn't many places to get water.

Top Bottom