• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

23qwerty

Building my first gaming pc Thursday. I've got an i5 6600k, gtx 970, gigabyte ga-z170x gaming 7, and 16GB corsair vengeance lpx. Should I try overclocking after I've got everything setup or just do it some other time? I'm only going to be playing overwatch on it for now and I would like to play 1080p 144hz if possible.

i've got a 970 + 6600k, easy 144fps in overwatch :)

Sevenfold

Anyone here using the G900 from Logitech? Is it worth the $149.99?

I am. Went from a G700s. Very nice mouse. Took a hit with the thumb buttons but pleased I can map the rear right a use my ring finger tip for it. The battery lasts ages (days and days compared to one night with the G700s)
I'm still using the receiver in the same place (8feet from mouse next to telly) and it's perfect. The only thing I don't like is the connection to the mouse. the cable itself is great but the plug is delicate looking and I'm not the kindest to cables. that said, it's micro USB so in a pinch any old cable will power it.

What MB is this?

Z710 deluxe (Asus) I got one. I loves it.

gabbre

Hi guys

I think it's time to upgrade my i7 860

Here's my actual configuration

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 860 @ 2.80GHz 51 °C
Lynnfield 45nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3 (Socket 1156) 40 °C
Graphics
VE245 (1920x1080@60Hz)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 40 °C
Storage
111GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB (SSD) 37 °C
2794GB Western Digital WDC WD30EZRX-00DC0B0 (SATA) 36 °C
7GB SanDisk Cruzer Force USB Device (USB)
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I'm planning to buy an i7 6700 and I obviously have to change motherboard but I can't choose what model to buy. Many motherboards now require DDR4 ram, is it worth to upgrade or I can stay with DDR3?

ncslamm

Finally a new thread although a lot will need updates once Polaris and 1060/1050s are out.

Not sure about Overwatch but if you are aiming for high refresh, overclocking is the best way to help you achieve that in a lot of games. (where the CPU becomes the limiting factor to an extent) Make sure you are using an aftermarket cooler though.

I've got the hyper 212 evo. Hopefully that will do the job. This whole build and overclocking is going to be a learning experience for me.

23qwerty said:

Sweet. I know blizz games aren't always demanding and are pretty well optimized. I've only played the beta on PS4 so going to the PC version is going to be a new experience if I'm getting 144fps.

Vuze

Man, I keep coming back thinking about watercooling lol.

Anyone got experience with the EKWB EK-XLC Predator AIOs? They are easily expandable which is cool and they look very sleek and I think the brand in itself is considered very reputable.

It kinda sucks basically all of these AIOs are black, I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it came with white tubing. No room for an elaborate custom loop in my 400C I think.

Business

I need to buy a new gaming monitor.

I'd like 1440p, 144hz-165hz, gsync and a spare HDMI port for my PS4. I've seen a couple of models (Acer XB271HU and Asus MG279Q) but I'm still clueless if that's what I should go for or there's something better coming up and I should wait.

GlamFM

Banned
Man, I keep coming back thinking about watercooling lol.

Anyone got experience with the EKWB EK-XLC Predator AIOs? They are easily expandable which is cool and they look very sleek and I think the brand in itself is considered very reputable.

It kinda sucks basically all of these AIOs are black, I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it came with white tubing. No room for an elaborate custom loop in my 400C I think.

Bought the NZXT Kraken thing. I think it looks way nicer.

The NZXT logo lights up.

aICeePQ.jpg

Aaaaaand I´ll ask my question again. Any reason to go with Windows 10 pro over home for gaming?

Vuze

I need to buy a new gaming monitor.

I'd like 1440p, 144hz-165hz, gsync and a spare HDMI port for my PS4. I've seen a couple of models (Acer XB271HU and Asus MG279Q) but I'm still clueless if that's what I should go for or there's something better coming up and I should wait.
Perhaps wait for Computex news. I feel with the new DP1.4 graphics cards manufacturers might announce new higher end models. Availbility is a totally different matter of course. If you need one now, there really are only the Acer, Asus and Dell (TN) models to choose from. You're looking for the Asus PG279Q btw, MG is FreeSync.

Aaaaaand I´ll ask my question again. Any reason to go with Windows 10 pro over home for gaming?

No reason gaming related but if you can find the pro version at a good price (reddit etc) it's worth for the Group Policy alone. You can disable automatic updates which you can't do with the home version as far as I know.

I've got the hyper 212 evo. Hopefully that will do the job. This whole build and overclocking is going to be a learning experience for me.

That will do fine, find some tutorial on how to do it on your motherboard. It's pretty easy overall, just monitor your temps and go for safe settings at least in the beginning.

GlamFM

Banned
No reason gaming related but if you can find the pro version at a good price (reddit etc) it's worth for the Group Policy alone. You can disable automatic updates which you can't do with the home version as far as I know.

Coolio, thanks!

bcolak

Banned
So, is it worth it to upgrade my Asus strix gtx 980 to gtx 1080? I'm not interested in playing above 1080p. But I wanna play future games at high/ultra. As long as it does not go under 30fps :)
Thank you.

23qwerty

So, is it worth it to upgrade my Asus strix gtx 980 to gtx 1080? I'm not interested in playing above 1080p. But I wanna play future games at high/ultra. As long as it does not go under 30fps :)
Thank you.

no, 980 should run stuff at 1080p at high/ultra at 30fps minimum for a long while

Business

Perhaps wait for Computex news. I feel with the new DP1.4 graphics cards manufacturers might announce new higher end models. Availbility is a totally different of course. If you need one now, there really are only the Acer, Asus and Dell (TN) models to choose from. You're looking for the Asus PG279Q btw, MG is FreeSync.

Now that's a useful reply, very much appreciate it.

Thorgal

gonna re post my question from the previous thread :

This might be a noobish question but does the MSI gaming app need to be running in the background for the OC setting to work ?

also is there any worthwile update path from my 3770 ?

Nharox

Neo Member
Is a new GTX 970 for about 200€ a good deal? It would be a great upgrade compared to my current GPU (Radeon HD7870). I know the 1070 is coming out next month but it will probably take a few weeks until non-founders edition cards are out and will cost more than I currently want to spend.

I just need to upgrade my GPU for now, it's the only thing my PC is lacking in. I'll build myself a new PC in ~2 years.

Is a new GTX 970 for about 200€ a good deal? It would be a great upgrade compared to my current GPU. I know the 1070 is coming out next month but it will probably take a few weeks until non-founders edition cards are out and will probably cost more than I currently want to spend.

I just need to upgrade my GPU for now, it's the only thing my PC is lacking. I'll build myself a new PC in ~2 years.

For 200€ it surely is, the only doubt would be maybe waiting for Polaris with similar performance but I don't think it will be priced less than that. IMO go for it, it's a good card still.

Zumbug

Neo Member
Am I OK to get a GTX 1080 with this setup:

• CPU: i5-4670K (stock, but could OC have Corsair H100i cooler).
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
  • Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Formula ATX LGA1150
Currently running at 1440p on an Asus PB278Q with 2x MSI GTX 780 Lightning in SLI.

I only plan to get the 1080 and maybe another 8GB RAM, does the i5 stand up here or will it be a bottleneck? Do I need the extra RAM?

Nikokuno

I don't know if it's the right place or of there is a another thread to talk about my problem but my external hdd acts weird. Feel free to redirect me.

My little brother was copying CS:GO with the Steam tool when his laptop crash.
Since then Windows don't recognize it.

I don't have access to the HDD only my SSD (C:) and my internal HDD (E:) show up.

The W10 disk manager show it as Unallocated

I already update the firmware : nothing
I already switch USB3.0 cable : nothing

Yahsper

Reposting this from the previous thread since I didn't get an answer in the last week.

Looking to make my five year old pc VR-ready with these upgrades:

Current setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 6 MB
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB (2x4) 16 C
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 570 1024 MB
PSU: Novatech Powerstation 750 W
Case: Coolermaster 690 II
HDD: 60 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD + 500 GB HDD + 500 GB HDD

I want to buy these upgrades:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM: Crucial 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

I'd keep my case, my PSU and all my hard drives and SSD.

I'm looking to spend 1200 USD (1000 euro) max.

Smokey

Now that I completed my watercooling build in the last thread, I have nothing left to do.

Be indecisive about future purchases, of course :p

Probably gonna refresh my rig this year. Not that my 4930k is showing its age in games because it's not, but X79 is pretty dated. I'm missing out on a lot of modern mobo features.

I used to upgrade based in Crysis and BF releases. Now that BF1 is confirmed this year, need to start mapping it out.

Really thinking of going with a smaller build this time around (mATX or smaller).

Mad Max

Reposting this from the previous thread since I didn't get an answer in the last week.

Looking to make my five year old pc VR-ready with these upgrades:

Current setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 6 MB
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws-X 8GB (2x4) 16 C
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 570 1024 MB
PSU: Novatech Powerstation 750 W
Case: Coolermaster 690 II
HDD: 60 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD + 500 GB HDD + 500 GB HDD

I want to buy these upgrades:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock H170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
RAM: Crucial 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
GPU: GeForce GTX 1080

I'd keep my case, my PSU and all my hard drives and SSD.

I'm looking to spend 1200 USD (1000 euro) max.

With this cpu you wont see big gains compared to your 2500k (assuming you overclocked that one), so I'd upgrade the 6500 to a 6600k and get a z170 mobo instead. If that's too expensive you could save some money on ram by having only 16GB, which is enough for any game.

kennah

Probably gonna refresh my rig this year. Not that my 4930k is showing its age in games because it's not, but X79 is pretty dated. I'm missing out on a lot of modern mobo features.

I used to upgrade based in Crysis and BF releases. Now that BF1 is confirmed this year, need to start mapping it out.

Really thinking of going with a smaller build this time around (mATX or smaller).

I am the master of being indecisive (Shouldn't have returned the Acer GSync).

Can't wait to see what you do with a small build.

e90Mark

Interested to see what your take is on SFF builds, Haz. Will be looking forward to that.

Sweet. I know blizz games aren't always demanding and are pretty well optimized. I've only played the beta on PS4 so going to the PC version is going to be a new experience if I'm getting 144fps.
Maxed out at 1080p with a 970 only got me like high 90s/low 100s in the beta.

You'd be turning down some stuff to hit 144+ constantly.

Just go mATX to keep the SLI dream alive still.

Smokey

I am the master of being indecisive (Shouldn't have returned the Acer GSync).

Can't wait to see what you do with a small build.

Had no clue you returned it. Why?

I'm 90% sure I'm done with SLI. The support doesn't seem to be there in newer AAA titles. I've SLI'd every gen since the 580, peaking at my Tri SLI Titan Black build.

Been rocking a single Titan X for awhile now on a ROG Swift. It's a pretty great feeling not having to worry about SLI support, and still being able to max games and take advantage of GSYNC.

I think water is the next natural progression in my builds, but if I go smaller that does make it much harder than it already is.

AlanOC91

I've been humming and hawing about this for a while now and I'm still not sure if I should do it.

So here is my current rig:

- AMD FX8350 @ 4.8ghz cooled with a H100i
- ASUS 990FX R2.0 Motherboard
- 16GB DDR3 Ram
- Nvidia 980ti

I play almost exclusively at 4k with every game that is compatible with it. Many games actually run at 60fps with me (I tend to do things like always turn AA off at 4k and one or two more tweaks). Dark Souls 3, GTAV, MGSV all ran at 60fps. The only game that doesn't really is Witcher 3 which runs at around 45fps.

I've been thinking about upgrading to 6700k, 6700k compatible motherboard and DDR4 ram but I'm just not sure if it's work it. Is the 6700k vastly superior? Will I even get much more performance considering how 4k is much more GPU intensive rather than CPU intensive.

I asked in the last thread:

Is it worth replacing my case so I can fit in a 280mm water cooler as opposed to one of the older 240mm models?

Smokey

I have W10 on an Intel 160GB SSD from 2011. I want to retire that drive in the future and move W10 over to my Samsung EVO SSD. Will I have to purchase a new W10 license?

ncslamm

Interested to see what your take is on SFF builds, Haz. Will be looking forward to that.

Maxed out at 1080p with a 970 only got me like high 90s/low 100s in the beta.

You'd be turning down some stuff to hit 144+ constantly.

I'll mess around with it once I've got everything set up. I just want to see what 144 looks like since I'm so used to seeing 60fps. If it's not worth turning down some graphic settings then i'll just go for best looking 60fps settings. I'm going to use the 970 until the middle of next year and then maybe do an upgrade to the 1080 if it's a bit cheaper by then.

I've been watching youtube tutorials and it seems like my mobo is pretty easy to OC. In one video they OC'd the 6600k to 4.6GhZ. Is it safe to say I'll be able to do the same or is it better to just play it safe and not go for a big jump in performance? I guess I use the MSI Afterburner software to OC the video card. It's all so much to take in right now but I'm still pretty excited to get started.

ISee

I have W10 on an Intel 160GB SSD from 2011. I want to retire that drive in the future and move W10 over to my Samsung EVO SSD. Will I have to purchase a new W10 license?

Actually Samsung SSDs seem to come with good software that let you clone a drive to your new samsungs ssd (Samsung SSD magician tool). So you can use that.
Also you can use your 'old' win 7/8/8.1 key to register a fresh win 10 install. If you took microsofts offer and updated from win7/8/8.1 to win10 during the free update period.

Am I OK to get a GTX 1080 with this setup:

• CPU: i5-4670K (stock, but could OC have Corsair H100i cooler).
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
  • Mobo: Asus Maximus VI Formula ATX LGA1150
Currently running at 1440p on an Asus PB278Q with 2x MSI GTX 780 Lightning in SLI.

I only plan to get the 1080 and maybe another 8GB RAM, does the i5 stand up here or will it be a bottleneck? Do I need the extra RAM?

An overclocked 4670k should be enough.
Upgrading from 8gb to 16gb isn't necessary (just a couple of games take advantage of 16gb) but you can take the opportunity to upgrade to 16gb of faster ddr3 (2400mhz for example, or even higher).
Ram clockspeed seem to improve overall perfromance in cpu heavy gaming situations.

I've been humming and hawing about this for a while now and I'm still not sure if I should do it.

So here is my current rig:

- AMD FX8350 @ 4.8ghz cooled with a H100i
- ASUS 990FX R2.0 Motherboard
- 16GB DDR3 Ram
- Nvidia 980ti

I play almost exclusively at 4k with every game that is compatible with it. Many games actually run at 60fps with me (I tend to do things like always turn AA off at 4k and one or two more tweaks). Dark Souls 3, GTAV, MGSV all ran at 60fps. The only game that doesn't really is Witcher 3 which runs at around 45fps.

I've been thinking about upgrading to 6700k, 6700k compatible motherboard and DDR4 ram but I'm just not sure if it's work it. Is the 6700k vastly superior? Will I even get much more performance considering how 4k is much more GPU intensive rather than CPU intensive.

In normal gaming scenarios a 6700k will beat the 8350 without problems. It's not even close, AMDs current CPU line up is too far behind atm (will change with Zen).

pic1
pic2

But 4k gaming scenarios? I don't have experience with 4k gaming as most current solutions aren't really satisfying imo.
Still you seem to aim for 4k/60 and I think getting a better CPU will help you to reach it.

But you can investigate your CPU performance a bit for yourself. While playing witcher 3 run something like RTSS on top of it (comes with msi afterburner) and keep an eye on your cpu and gpu load. If your CPU load is above 80ish% and your GPU load isn't at 99% than upgrading the CPU will most probably help. Of course this isn't a guarantee test... just a lead.

Example and to give you something to compare your results to:
On my overclocked 980 I'm able to reach between 43-33 fps @4k, but my GPU is working at max load (99%). My CPU (6700k) isn't heaving a hard time, though I'm a bit surprised about the workload of 67% on on thread. Seems a bit high, but maybe 4k really needs more cpu power than I initially assumed.

pic

Zumbug

Neo Member
Actually Samsung SSDs seem to come with good software that let you clone a drive to your new samsungs ssd (Samsung SSD magician tool). So you can use that.
Also you can use your 'old' win 7/8/8.1 key to register a fresh win 10 install. If you took microsofts offer and updated from win7/8/8.1 to win10 during the free update period.

An overclocked 4670k should be enough.
Upgrading from 8gb to 16gb isn't necessary (just a couple of games take advantage of 16gb) but you can take the opportunity to upgrade to 16gb of faster ddr3 (2400mhz for example, or even higher).
Ram clockspeed seem to improve overall perfromance in cpu heavy gaming situations.

Thank you very much!

kennah

Had no clue you returned it. Why?

I think water is the next natural progression in my builds, but if I go smaller that does make it much harder than it already is.

Lots of reasons. The $300 grocery bill that we paid the next morning. My 670 wasn't quiiiiite powerful enough. No HDMI makes long term use annoying (We are moving and a monitor will become our primary TV when that happens). Refurbed 60 day warranty had me a little leery. And at the time I was unsure what my work situation will be for the summer.

Sure was pretty though.

As for an ITX Water cooled system, I'm sure I could give you a good deal on the Splash :p

For individual games, 16GB isn't useful. 16GB is useful in a "I can keep absolutely every program under the sun open and still game" sense.

ISee

For individual games, 16GB isn't useful. 16GB is useful in a "I can keep absolutely every program under the sun open and still game" sense.

I remember SW:Battlefront having better frametimes with 16gb of system ram than with 8. Also other games start to recommend 16gb of ram, like QB. Granted 8gb are still fine but 16gb will be needed sooner than later. And if you want to go the high end gaming route (a.k.a. gtx 1080) getting 16gb of ram makes sense.
Also it's not really expansive anymore...

Clearing out my case even once a year is a pain in the ass.

Anyone on PC-GAF have experience with Demciflex dust filters? The filters on my HAFX still allows dust to accumulate over time.

thenameDS

Ok so today I took the plunge, bought a 970 from my friend for £150 and hooked up my PC to the TV and said bye bye to console gaming.

Specs:
i3 6300
16GB DDR4-3000
GTX 970
Corsair RM550x
500GB Evo

1. I will be gaming mostly with my Elite Controller as I don't play many competitive FPS games, I'm guessing most games support controllers?
  2. Need to buy a mechanical drive, is 2TB enough?
  3. Where do you guys buy games from, apart from Steam. CdKeys? etc..

ISee

gonna re post my question from the previous thread :

This might be a noobish question but does the MSI gaming app need to be running in the background for the OC setting to work ?

also is there any worthwile update path from my 3770 ?

Never used the msi gaming app, but the msi afterburner software has to be running in the background for the OC to work.

Also very sadly no, the 3770 is the best socket 1155 CPU you can buy. But it seems to hold out well.

e90Mark

I'll mess around with it once I've got everything set up. I just want to see what 144 looks like since I'm so used to seeing 60fps. If it's not worth turning down some graphic settings then i'll just go for best looking 60fps settings. I'm going to use the 970 until the middle of next year and then maybe do an upgrade to the 1080 if it's a bit cheaper by then.

I've been watching youtube tutorials and it seems like my mobo is pretty easy to OC. In one video they OC'd the 6600k to 4.6GhZ. Is it safe to say I'll be able to do the same or is it better to just play it safe and not go for a big jump in performance? I guess I use the MSI Afterburner software to OC the video card. It's all so much to take in right now but I'm still pretty excited to get started.

It's safe to assume that, yeah. You're pretty much guaranteed 4.4.

Vuze

Ok so today I took the plunge, bought a 970 from my friend for £150 and hooked up my PC to the TV and said bye bye to console gaming.

Specs:
i3 6300
16GB DDR4-3000
GTX 970
Corsair RM550x
500GB Evo

1. I will be gaming mostly with my Elite Controller as I don't play many competitive FPS games, I'm guessing most games support controllers?
  2. Need to buy a mechanical drive, is 2TB enough?
  3. Where do you guys buy games from, apart from Steam. CdKeys? etc..
1. Yeah, I play 99% of games with my XO pad/Elite as well. You could remap the paddles to screenshot/Shadowplay background video saving or whatever you want if you really want to btw (it involves several workarounds), just putting it out there. Actually I think Win10 natively supports this with the Xbox App + Guide button but I prefer the Steam screenshot / Shadowplay recording combo.
2. Sure especially if you only intend to use the machine for gaming. Actually a second SSD might be worthwhile for this purpose too if you don't plan to install a ton of games simultaneously (no noise, faster loading times).
3. For legitimate shops, you could check isthereanydeal.com.

The monitor section could use some updating. A lot of outdated monitors and some, like the Eizo links, were taken out, but text still remains.

And needs options for the 1440p/144hz/27" market, which is the best right now in terms of performance/price point.

thenameDS

1. Yeah, I play 99% of games with my XO pad/Elite as well. You could remap the paddles to screenshot/Shadowplay background video saving or whatever you want if you really want to btw (it involves several workarounds), just putting it out there. Actually I think Win10 natively supports this with the Xbox App + Guide button but I prefer the Steam screenshot / Shadowplay recording combo.
2. Sure especially if you only intend to use the machine for gaming. Actually a second SSD might be worthwhile for this purpose too if you don't plan to install a ton of games simultaneously (no noise, faster loading times).
3. For legitimate shops, you could check isthereanydeal.com.

Awesome never heard of that site before, seems great!
Any recommended programs I should have installed?

Hey guys, I have been out of PC gaming for over five years now. I would like to get back into CSGO. I will probably rebuy everything as even my montior is out of date.

I would like to keep the budget around $1000, I'm willing to go over if need be. Ideally I can run CSGO with a flawless 60 fps at 1080p. No desire to over clock, I just want it to run without having to tweak anything.

I'm also a impulse buyer, so I will order the parts tonight if someone had a good configuration recommendation.

Hey guys, I have been out of PC gaming for over five years now. I would like to get back into CSGO. I will probably rebuy everything as even my montior is out of date.

I would like to keep the budget around $1000, I'm willing to go over if need be. Ideally I can run CSGO with a flawless 60 fps at 1080p. No desire to over clock, I just want it to run without having to tweak anything.

I'm also a impulse buyer, so I will order the parts tonight if someone had a good configuration recommendation.

A GTX 950 would be a power-efficient and cheap way to easily achieve the target with maxed out settings, and I think you can get by with a recent i3 (i3-6100?) and a 2x4 DDR4-2133 kit. This will also give you the ability to play ANY new video game for the foreseeable future at 1080p medium/medium-high.

I also have a question of my own... I have a B85 motherboard that is currently sitting unused. Any ideas on what to do with the motherboard that isn't "second gaming PC"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom