• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Demo Impressions [Online Open To All]

couldn't give a shit about the plotholes, i still enjoy the story, the characters, and can't wait to play this!

dem animations are hilariously shit though lmao

Derrick01

Banned
This is truly amazing. We've been debating this series' story for years now and trying to fix it.

And he comes in with a fix in about 15 seconds. Son of a bitch :lol

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
With some minor tweaks I believe Mass Effect 1 and 2 should just switch places. Missing Colonies -> Collectors -> Hint of Reaper -> Prothean Beacons -> Ilos -> Citadel -> Mass Effect 3.

This would require a lot more than some minor tweaks. Firstly Cerberus would have to be entirely reworked or simply removed altogether since without the knowledge of the Reapers from ME1 and those actions Shepard has no reason to work with a human supremacist group.

Secondly it would completely throw off the introduction to the universe and our interaction with the Citadel species both from the player perspective and from inside the game, because Shepards action in ME1 directly thrust Humans on to the main stage of Citadel space. It would make no sense to have the opening game in the series focus solely on a human only issue which provides little exposure to the vast alien society, let alone become a Spectre and recruit all of these alien squadmates.

It would also negate the actions of the Collectors entirely. The only reason they ever targeted humans and began the attempts of creating a human Reaper were again because of Shepards actions in ME1 and her thwarting Sovereign and thus the Reapers as a whole. Without these events the Reapers would have no reason to target humans so actively. There are likely many more reasons why your revisions simply are unrealistic.

ME2 is by no means perfect, especially from a main plot perspective but in terms of its placement and overall role in the trilogy is perfectly fine where it is. They could have done a better job of explaining things and making the Collector threat more serious but its still perfectly relevant and did a great job at expanding the universe they had created in ME1.

Wiggum2007

I still think it's poor story telling, sorry! When you put things into perspective it really seems to me like they were mading up stuff as they went along (especially in ME2). I find there's no decent hints in ME1 at what you can expect in 2 and to me some of the plot in 2 feels like a retcon of the plot 1. Even if you argue that it's not clear about the status of the Reapers in 1, the game gives you more hints about how they are machines than they are organic. The twists that they harvest life forms was poorly introduced to me and felt like a retcon, especially since they had the tools (protheans , artifact, AI) to hint at their organic nature properly in 1.

I can see what you mean here. In ME1 describing the reaper invasion, Vigil describes how the protheans who weren't killed were indoctrinated and used as sleeper agents, and then were left behind when the reapers returned to dark space, and they died shortly after because their brains were basically mush. Just having him say an extra line in there about how aside from those indoctrinated, some were even harvested alive by the reapers, for some unknown reason. Would make a more natural progression to what we find out in ME2. But I doubt they had that plot point figured out at the time.

With some minor tweaks I believe Mass Effect 1 and 2 should just switch places. Missing Colonies -> Collectors -> Hint of Reaper -> Prothean Beacons -> Ilos -> Citadel -> Mass Effect 3.

Haha, damn! And to above, Cerberus could easily be cut or at least not be the driving force behind it, could easily have the Alliance/Shepard be interested in investigating the abductions without them. And the ME games are always talking about how special humans are and how diverse they are compared to everyone else and how fast they've risen on the galactic stage (even before the events of ME1), without much change you could work up a reason for the humans being chosen to be turned into a reaper before the defeat of Sovereign. Hell maybe it doesn't even have to be humans specifically being turned into the reaper, could easily make it a story of a reaper being created combined from the essence all sentient spacefaring species.

This would require a lot more than some minor tweaks. Firstly Cerberus would have to be entirely reworked or simply removed altogether since without the knowledge of the Reapers from ME1 and those actions Shepard has no reason to work with a human supremacist group.

Secondly it would completely throw off the introduction to the universe and our interaction with the Citadel species both from the player perspective and from inside the game, because Shepards action in ME1 directly thrust Humans on to the main stage of Citadel space. It would make no sense to have the opening game in the series focus solely on a human only issue which provides little exposure to the vast alien society, let alone become a Spectre and recruit all of these alien squadmates.

It would also negate the actions of the Collectors entirely. The only reason they ever targeted humans and began the attempts of creating a human Reaper were again because of Shepards actions in ME1 and her thwarting Sovereign and thus the Reapers as a whole. Without these events the Reapers would have no reason to target humans so actively. There are likely many more reasons why your revisions simply are unrealistic.

ME2 is by no means perfect, especially from a main plot perspective but in terms of its placement and overall role in the trilogy is perfectly fine where it is. They could have done a better job of explaining things and making the Collector threat more serious but its still perfectly relevant and did a great job at expanding the universe they had created in ME1.
Dude, we're having a moment here, just let us enjoy the moment

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I hate moments, and do all that I can do to ruin them. It is my sole mission in life.

Thats what being Enduin is all about, because I end and ruin moments.

What would we do without you?

Enjoy life a little more, I imagine, but where would we be?!

Well, right here, I guess. But what would we know?!

Well, we'd probably...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm hoping that the "high-res" textures are actually ... high res.

I think high-res to them probably means "it doesn't look like shit smeared all over a wall" rather than "you can see every fiber on that dude's shirt".

Does anybody know when the multiplayer will be available to console players without early access?

tomorrow.

Tess3ract

Banned
I know none of you goobers will agree with me but oh well!

In playing the demo, the cinematography of the cutscenes and transition from gameplay to cutscenes is highly improved. It feels very fluid and "movie like". However, the actual direction of the shots feel like someone jerked off to too many Michael Bay films (the absolute worst kind of action movies as of late), and for one cutscene in particular had very obvious nod to Inception with the musical score. Overall, it felt more like you were playing a movie, or interacting with one every now and then. About the status quo for the series with a bit better camera work, overall.

There were some problems though, the overly restrictive camera, to the point of claustrophobia, the extremely awful running animation of the lady shepard, something that elicited memories of the extremely amusing "running" animation when you go into third person on Dead Island. The character I made somehow would get huge fucking anime googly eyes at times and it did not make her look serious, it made me laugh out loud in surprise and amusement. The script during the renegade path was "alright" but some lines were just delivered so poorly, either because of the writing itself or the situation they're in didn't require that kind of style. Shepard still feels clunky moving in and out of cover but the animations are better it suffers from being too zoomed in. The whole time I felt it would be better if they just dropped the third person shit and work on it like Deus Ex HR did. (I say this as someone who's played ME1/2 and DXHR)

Guns didn't really sound that great, but alright. For shits and giggles I put it on the Story setting (of which there are three) and I literally never took cover, and just stood out in the open and I don't think my shield ever went below 50% as an infiltrator. I just know some fucking retard is going to bitch about "I'm on the easiest setting and I can't beat this boss!" I suppose next time I'll play on the hardest difficulty, like I've been doing for all bioware games lately because they're just so piss easy. Also all of the female hairstyles are REALLY bad, they all look like they're wearing a wig or something. There was one hairstyle that was alright but jesus.

Overall it just felt like ME2 with some needed customization features they already had in the first game, with better graphics and cutscenes. I'd have to play the game to decide if I actually wanted to buy it because this demo made me not want to buy it. Anyways that was more words than I wanted to spend on this demo but hey, enjoy!

edit: as for multiplayer, I have no idea what it's like. I'm not interested in it whatsoever.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
edit: as for multiplayer, I have no idea what it's like. I'm not interested in it whatsoever.

You should at least try it, especially because everyone is raving about when most were sure it would be just meh at best and now they all seem pretty hooked on it.

Tess3ract

Banned
I'm hoping that the "high-res" textures are actually ... high res.
Oh my god yes. Maybe the Witcher and BF3 and Crysis 2 (which are the most part even with the multiplat things going on, PCish games) spoiled me but the textures in combat and normal play were awful. 60fps in game forever, then randomly as low as 20fps in cutscenes because it's locked to 30fps which is EXTREMELY jarring to go to a slow ass 30fps from a fluid 60.

Coxswain

Try it for a bit, when it becomes available. You might not like the multiplayer as a whole, but it's the only part of the demo that is representative of the actual game. The game changes a lot when you can actually use your skills at the frequency that they're supposed to be usable.

Personally, I was really unimpressed with the game until getting my hands on the more full customization options.

hlhbk

Well now that I see that most of the GAF community is blindly hating on ME 3's demo even though it was clear what direction the ME series was taking in ME 2 I will know to stear clear of the OT when it goes up.

Can't wait till this is released!

Sorry this is off the current topic but does anyone remember how soon before release did the epic ME2 trailer air? I'm just a little surprised I haven't seen any marketing for ME3 yet. Or maybe I am just jumping the gun.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Shit just got real.

Real consistent.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Well now that I see that most of the GAF community is blindly hating on ME 3's demo even though it was clear what direction the ME series was taking in ME 2 I will know to stear clear of the OT when it goes up.

I don't see a lot of blind hate in here, some sure, but people are just critical of what should be a game that improves generally in all areas form its previous incarnation and hasn't.

It is disappointment with certain aspects of what is in the demo more than hate from a lot of people I think you will find.

Is anybody else really annoyed by the fading to black near the corners of the screen? I have the 360 version and this is going to annoy the shit out of me if I have to play the whole game like this. I get that they're going for a filmlike feel here, but I wish you could turn that off.

Edit: Apparently it's called vignetting.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Sorry this is off the current topic but does anyone remember how soon before release did the epic ME2 trailer air? I'm just a little surprised I haven't seen any marketing for ME3 yet. Or maybe I am just jumping the gun.

This Sunday on AMC during the Walking Dead theyre airing their CGI mini movie Take Back Earth. That will likely be the kick off for the ad campaign and further TV spots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kqh-nsrtdac

thetrin

You should at least try it. I expected to hate it, but I'm hopelessly addicted to it now. It's mad fun.

Tess3ract

Banned

Yep, I write a short dissertation on why I dislike a thing and I'm said to be "blindly hating".

You all can go home now, I'm apparently hating on a game to be cool, not because I enjoy what the first game was and hate how it's turned out as a whole. *eyes roll out of head*

I know this is technically OT, but has anyone seen this and if so, what are your thoughts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8vY3IbB6B4
(maybe someone could start an OT thread for it?)

back to the demo, I remember being worried about ME2 before it got released, I thought from the trailers that the tone of the game would be totally different and they'd mess with it too much, luckily I was proven wrong in the end (although I'm sure others disagree..). I think ME3 might be the same thing, just crossing my fingers and waiting for the 9th March to find out.

If you're having any performance issues with the PC version of the demo, you might want to try setting the game to borderless window or window mode. Apparently, v-sync is enabled by default in the demo, which can detract significantly from performance on some systems. On my computer, borderless window mode gave me a 15-20 FPS increase at 1080p. V-sync can't be disabled through the graphics options menu, but window mode will turn it off. Hopefully the final version of Mass Effect 3 allows us to directly control V-sync. I can't think of any reason why that option wouldn't be included.

hlhbk

Yep, I write a short dissertation on why I dislike a thing and I'm said to be "blindly hating".

You all can go home now, I'm apparently hating on a game to be cool, not because I enjoy what the first game was and hate how it's turned out as a whole. *eyes roll out of head*

The most important part of the series has gotten better with each installment: the story.

Tess3ract

Banned
The most important part of the series has gotten better with each installment: the story.
The story has gotten WORSE. The combat has gotten better.

You ask anyone about the combat and they will agree the combat is better. Even I think so.

Is it perfect? Not at all.

The story went from very linear and "epic" levels of progression to basically playing Dr.Phil with your squad mates to get them to like you. The actual story is short as heck.

thetrin

Uh what? That's the ONE thing that's actually gotten worse.

I didn't like the oversimplification of the leveling in ME2, but the combat was undeniably better. Now ME3 has a far better leveling system, a weapon mod system, and keeps the combat of ME2.

The ONLY thing that's gotten worse is the story.

Uh what? That's the ONE thing that's actually gotten worse.

I didn't like the oversimplification of the leveling in ME2, but the combat was undeniably better. Now ME3 has a far better leveling system, a weapon mod system, and keeps the combat of ME2.

The ONLY thing that's gotten worse is the story.
something tells me this argument won't end anytime soon, I think opinion's quite divided over both aspects of the game, don't expect a general consensus.

which is an elegant way of saying that nothing happened in ME2. No offense to you personally btw.

On another note: I tested the PS3 demo and holy shit the framerate is baaaaaaad. I would say: avoid PS3 versions if the retailversion is the same as the demo.

neoemonk

To be fair I thought you were pretty level headed in your criticism, and they were fair. I haven't kept up with the thread today, but yesterday I did get a sense that people were being overly critical.

ss_lemonade

Anyone running into the same problem as me?

Using a 6970 here. Even updated to the latest drivers and it made no difference. Unless this is how the demo actually looks like lol

EDIT: Removed the tiny pic link. What's a good place to upload images? Anyway, the textures on my end just looks like smeared crap

dankir

Check out my thoughts on the demo.Gotta say I'm super hyped for its release and I've told my GF that she won't see me for a while.

http://thegamernerdz.com/index.php/39-gamer-nerdz-featured-posts/313-mass-effect-3-preview

Here's the full article.

It's taken 5 years to complete but here we are. Bioware is finally ready to release the final piece of its incredible trilogy on March 6th with Mass Effect 3. A small sampling of what's to come was released as a demo this week and you can also look forward to a preview of the new multiplayer offering on Feb. 17th. Needless to say I downloaded and dove in immediately.

Unfortunately you're not able to play this demo with your male/female Shepard you've played the previous 2 titles with, if you can import them please let me know how. It's kind of a shame actually, because I only know of one Shepard so all others ones are foreign to me. I felt a slight disconnect but this is just a demo after all so it's forgivable. Bioware interestingly asks you to select how your Mass Effect 3 experience is played out. I can see that these choices will help reach out to a larger audience but I naturally selected the "traditional experience".

The demo quickly introduces us to Shepard's longtime friend, former boss and supporter David Anderson who quickly fills us on current situation. Chris Redfield from Resident Evil 5 is also in this game apparently. I'm not entirely sure where in the final game this section will take place but there are some pretty significant revelations about Sheppard revealed in the first few minutes of the demo. The major topic is that Earth is about to be attacked by everybody's favorite gigantic-squid like-civilization-eradicating-hyper intelligent- sentient machines, the Reapers. So what's the most logical thing to when your species is facing extinction? Approach a council of course! Shepard bluntly says to the council "We fight or else we die".

Ironically the Reapers are literally tearing through Earth's puny defenses as this meeting is taking place and make their grand entrance and start annihilating everything. This part of the demo has a much stronger focus on the story and impending death that the Reapers bring wherever they go. It has a few action bits but I think Bioware clearly wants drive home the fact that mankind is on its last breath unless you act(p.s. the council meets a horrible death just like in the previous games) I personally felt that Bioware succeeded at making you really feel that the fate of galaxy rests on your shoulders and Shepard is ready to give it all and take it to the Reapers. I'm a geek so this is as good as it gets.

I'll have to go back and compare but I didn't feel that Mass Effect 3 was that huge of a jump visually when compared to the increase in fidelity from the first two titles. There seems to be a lot more details in the environment, clothing and basically everything. During the conversation pieces the facial textures and animations in particular really stand out with lots of subtlety that showcase emotion from the characters. When you get up close with a Reaper and witness its sheer size it's all very impressive and epic. The 1st part of demo ends with a very poignant cut scene with Shepard staring down a Reaper as he flies off. The music here is clearly inspired by Inception and really helped drive the point home.

The original voice actors are back to reprise their roles so you expect the same level of strong voice acting but most importantly the music has a much stronger synth vibe more akin to Mass Effect 1. Check out the demo soundtrack on Youtube right now for a good idea of the musical offering in Mass Effect 3.

We fast forward to another sequence later on in the game and probably in what is my favorite cut scene where you meet your old squad mates from Mass Effect 1. No there isn't any "Wrex" "Shepard" type of conversation here but I'm excited to see my favorite Krogan, scar and all back in this game. The context of this mission is clearly around the Salarian creation of the Genophage virus that basically wiped out the Krogan population. This side story has been moving since the first game so I'm glad Bioware is keeping the continuity for Mass Effect 3. For the first time we're introduced to a Krogan female, dressed in a burka of all things! Dependent on which class you take (Vanguard since day 1 right here) your combat experience in Mass Effect will vary and I was pleased to see my personal favorite vanguard biotic charge skill return. The cover system seems a bit snappier and Shepard now has defensive roll movements and a very cool melee finishing attack. Mass Effect 3 has Kinect voice command functionality which surprisingly works very well but I don't see myself using this when playing the full game. This portion of the demo is almost exclusively action based and if you've played the previous games you'll feel right at home.

Needless to say I had a huge smile the entire hour or so the demo lasts for. I'm genuinely excited and intrigued as to how exactly Shepard will defeat the Reapers (please don't let it be a mass uploaded computer virus) in a few short weeks. I can't wait to finish the fight.

Erebus

Do we have any idea how early a build this is, because that ps3 framerate was awful.
This. Out of curiosity, is the frame rate THAT awful on the 360 demo as well?

Luckily, I will play the full game on PC. Can't stand consoles anymore when it comes to multiformat games.

Chris R

Is there no deathmatch style mp? I'm sick of wave based stuff after playing so much horde mode with my friends in gow3.

And I thought getting the demo gave you a gold trial? Or is it just no gold needed to play mp in the demo?

masseffect3b.jpg

pre ordered at a great price, Amazon is offering a $10 credit.. im going to use that for the DLC

- damn the image is way too large lol

DTKT

Is there no deathmatch style mp? I'm sick of wave based stuff after playing so much horde mode with my friends in gow3.

And I thought getting the demo gave you a gold trial? Or is it just no gold needed to play mp in the demo?

There is no player versus player. The trial is just open to both silver and gold members. It's not a gold pass.

Top Bottom