• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

nillapuddin

It's true what they say.

Once you go OLED, you don't see black.

ftfy

Got Rogue One on Blu Ray last month, plans kept falling through to watch it, just popped it in to see how it looks, its very grainy, like.. very grainy

idk if thats a R1 thing or what, but it is a bit disappointing

KevinG

ftfy

Got Rogue One on Blu Ray last month, plans kept falling through to watch it, just popped it in to see how it looks, its very grainy, like.. very grainy

idk if thats a R1 thing or what, but it is a bit disappointing

Rogue One utilizes film grain way more than I like. I loved it in theaters, but my B6 totally makes the grain more noticeable than it was in the theater. I was bummed about it at first, but I forget that it's there after the first few scenes.

nillapuddin

Rogue One utilizes film grain way more than I like. I loved it in theaters, but my B6 totally makes the grain more noticeable than it was in the theater. I was bummed about it at first, but I forget that it's there after the first few scenes.

Damn, Okay I just wanted to verify it an issue with tv/xbox

Thanks man

* buying PE2 and John Wick 4K on amazon right now *

Yjynx

I'm sure the speakers are lovely, but a complete waste for anyone with a half decent setup. My point is absolutely valid though, a lot of R&D goes into this stuff, and anyone can see that the audio that Sony puts into some of their TV's isn't thrown together and stuck on (could be argued for the 93c lol), so a lot of people would be forced into paying for something that'll never be used, I mean I didn't buy the 93c because of the speakers.

I don't have ceiling speakers, I mount mine at the corners of the room above the 2 fronts, pointing down to the seating position.

It's the very reason they stopped bolting on speakers after the 93c! It's better to offer something that's basic in the sound dept, and let people bloody choose, I'm 1 person who wouldn't buy because of it.

I get that they are trying to offer something that stands out, with a vibrating screen etc, but they should let the Picture quality talk instead.
Trusted Review Sony KD-65A1 OLED review

Put your hand on the screen (with a glove, if you have grubby fingers) and you'll feel it vibrate in the way of a speaker cone. Don't worry about blurry images: you don't see the vibrations, because it operates at such a high frequency. Low-frequency notes, which would be visible, are handled by the separate subwoofer.

How does it sound? To my surprise, rather good. Admittedly, I've never heard this technology before, so I have no frame of reference, but I'd say it sounds better than plenty of regular TV speakers that sit at the side/bottom/rear. It's a clear, detailed sound that never hardens, even when it gets loud (and it gets loud), and there's a good amount of weight to it, too.

What's really surprising is the way the sound follows the action on-screen and off. You can track voices to people's mouths and explosions go where they should. The stereo image is good enough that the sound does a great job off-screen, both vertically and horizontally. Such precision in effects placement is something I'd only associate with surround sound systems, or Dolby Atmos, or really clever Yamaha soundbars – but not a TV.

Granted, it isn't the cinematic sound you'd get from a pair of proper speakers – the A1 doesn't have the dynamism or room-filling power – but it does a great job on its own. I'd love for this to become a standard feature on OLED TVs.

because that fancy speaker is awesome and Picture quality already speak itself

iamvin22

Industry Verified
What's gafs opinion on the sony x900e and x940e? The best buys I go to always point me to those two or the A1e.

longdi

Banned
You don't always turn on your av receiver all the time, right? Watching simple broadcast, i just need the TV speakers to do their job.

Yjynx

I bet, but I won't repeat myself, it would be great if it was the standard that you didn't pay a premium for, then yeah fine.

So all the other stuff like Sony x1 extreme processor not being counted in the whole package or something?

Edit: And Im already sick and tired of seeing Premium TV having a subpar speaker. Its a premium for fuck sake.

So all the other stuff like Sony x1 extreme processor not being counted in the whole package or something?

Edit: And Im already sick and tired of seeing Premium TV having a subpar speaker. Its a premium for fuck sake.

What on earth does X1 extreme have to do with the price of coffee!?

It's about consumers having a choice, it honestly isn't a hard concept to grasp, A1 with or without a vibrating speaker and sub built into the stand maybe?

How about some normal speakers? Keep the cost down, people who want a sound bar, buy a bloody sound bar.

People who own any kind of half decent audio set up really wouldn't want to pay for something they'll probably never use, makes no sense for that kind of consumer, and freezes Sony out of an sale.

It's a weird thing to pay $4k+ on a TV and then to use the internal speakers.

Yjynx

What on earth does X1 extreme have to do with the price of coffee!?

It's about consumers having a choice, it honestly isn't a hard concept to grasp, A1 with or without a vibrating speaker and sub built into the stand maybe?

How about some normal speakers? Keep the cost down, people who want a sound bar, buy a bloody sound bar.

People who own any kind of half decent audio set up really wouldn't want to pay for something they'll probably never use, makes no sense for that kind of consumer, and freezes Sony out of an sale.

This is an OLED TV with a lot of enhancement put inside it. We have no idea what makes it cost more. There're a lot of assumption here that most people have decent audio or even bother with it. Do people always use Dolby Atmos for everything? I never bother to own one.

Because they usually sucks... but it never bother me... so whatever.

Edit: And I really support for this speaker to be a thing. Sounds good enough and it doesn't take any space

Because they usually sucks... but it never bother me... so whatever.

Edit: And I really support for this speaker to be a thing. Sounds good enough and it doesn't take any space

To each their own. I feel like audio and video go hand in hand. The difference in picture quality between a $2500 TV and a $5000 TV isn't as significant as the difference between built in speakers and a good soundbar or even better, a discrete 5.1 system. A great sound system adds so much to the experience that I would spend more on that and less on the TV.

This is an OLED TV with a lot of enhancement put inside it. We have no idea what makes it cost more. There're a lot of assumption here that most people have decent audio or even bother with it. Do people always use Dolby Atmos for everything? I never bother to own one.

I love enhancements, not ones I'm being forced to pay for, which i dont need. Surely you must understand that there will be many people who own a speaker set up, and wouldn't want this!? And yeah people like yourself who like the vibrating speaker, which on both counts is fine, except Sony are repeating the same mistake by forcing it upon everyone.

Doesn't have to be Atmos, a half decent 5.1 would destroy the A1 in quality.

Theonik

I'm not putting speakers on my ceiling tbh. Atmos can go get stuffed.
You don't need to and in fact SHOULDN'T. For living room installations bouncing the sound off the ceiling is easier and sounds better. The reason is you need a significant distance from the speaker and listening position. If you follow Dolby's guidelines you'd need a pretty tall ceiling house.

I am pretty anal when it comes to viewing and fortunately, we are a 2 person family, so I can aim my B6 directly at the couch, but if I bought the Sony the sweet spot would be aiming above our heads. It is a totally bizarre design unless you have your TV on the floor (or wall mount).

As someone who doubted the A1 initially, If I didn't have a 2016 OLED I would certainly buy one over the LG, even with a £500 premium, but only with a regular stand. I don't even think it is something you could correct with a wedge stand or something, as it looks like it would topple over.
It's certainly a concern but the design is to give you the sweet-spot at around 40-50cm from the ground from the intended distance. That's pretty normal for TV stands these days. A more flexible stand would be great though.

Sony should indeed offer a cut down version of the A1 without the fancy speakers and a stand that can actually be used without aiming the TV at the ceiling.
That would be pretty expensive all things considered (2 SKUs) and the stand houses the electronics, as well as the subwoofer if anything it is very space efficient as a design. A more conventional stand could be achieved but would make the TV thicker something like Sony's wedge would work. But he form factor isn't due to the speaker It is a design decision.

Yeah Z9D is possibly the most overrated tv ever. Not to say it's not a great set but it would only be worth the praise if it was the same price as the DX902, not so much considering what they're selling it for.
Price has nothing to do with whether a set is good or not. In the first place the Z9D is a halo set that isn't meant to sell to a wide audience. You get what you pay for which was the best TV of 2016 and one of the best TVs available even now.
I got mine for less than a DX902 anyway

I'm sure the speakers are lovely, but a complete waste for anyone with a half decent setup. My point is absolutely valid though, a lot of R&D goes into this stuff, and anyone can see that the audio that Sony puts into some of their TV's isn't thrown together and stuck on (could be argued for the 93c lol), so a lot of people would be forced into paying for something that'll never be used, I mean I didn't buy the 93c because of the speakers.
The X93C is interesting. Sony used and still uses the driver design on stand-alone speakers so that wasn't really a TV investment.

Now the main complaint with that was it added bezels to the side and people (very moronically) have come to hate bezels and also want TVs to be thinner which are both usually detrimental to the quality of the set. Cost wise that got absorbed mostly by Sony. After all the margins on the production of high-end sets are huge, you do use them to recoup R&D across the line so need as big a margin on them as possible but extra trinkets rarely hurt.

You will notice on the A1E though the reaction is much different generally both by reviewers and users. People WANT better speakers. They just don't want the associated bulk/sacrifices they entail which the A1E seems to mostly do away with.

Just because someone is spending $4k on a TV doesn't mean they want to spend $2k on a speaker setup on top of that. Not that cheaper solutions aren't possible, but again, many livingroom setups are not speaker friendly.

You guys would be surprised how many people do not buy sound systems.

But that's what I'm saying, I'm not surprised, a lot of people buy sound systems, and a lot don't, it just makes no sense to bolt something nice on audio wise, when it's not all that amazing anyway, and you alienate guys with a nice system and they won't be buying.

It's just better all round they knock 500-1000 off and give the option to buy a sound bar for 200 or whatever if they wish, and the guys with sound systems are sorted too.

I realise that it gives them a marketing tool with this new speaker system for a TV n all that, it's just a shame that's all.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You don't always turn on your av receiver all the time, right? Watching simple broadcast, i just need the TV speakers to do their job.

I do. I used to use the TV speakers but I used the AV ones for a while and when I switched back the TV speakers were horrible even for just simple TV shows. So now I always use the receiver. Doesn't take any extra work - with HDMI-CEC when I turn my TV on the receiver turns on too, and the TV remote volume buttons control the receiver

The best investment I've made to my gaming/tv set up was an AVR and 5.1 speakers.

It made watching films a whole different experience, even on an 'old' 1080p TV.

If people have the room, space, and capability... Definitely invest in a decent bespoke audio set up. Just seeing is not believing.

Jedi2016

You guys would be surprised how many people do not buy sound systems.
I'm starting to realize that. I was reading user comments on the TV I just got (LG UH8500), and one of the most common complaints was that it has only three HDMI inputs. I was kind of baffled, because I've only ever used just one.... the one coming in from the receiver.

I reinitialized the TV yesterday so I could recalibrate everything with the new receiver/UHD Blu-ray player, and during its initial setup, the TV itself seemed baffled that I wanted to skip the network setup. "But.. no Smart TV!! No Netflix!! No YouTube!!" and again, I'm wondering why... all of that runs through my BD player, it always has. I specifically made sure to get a BD player that has all those things built into it.

The funny thing is that I really tried to get around buying a new receiver. I was hoping to run things through the TV and use the TV's ARC signal over HDMI to send the 5.1 audio back to my old receiver, but it just couldn't do it. I was able to get it working on some inputs but not others, and finally said "fuck it, this is too much effort" and just got a new receiver that would work directly with all the 4K/HDR and all that. Yamaha RX-V381, for those that were wondering (upgraded from my old RX-V377 that worked so well for me... I'd recommend the Yamaha stuff, it's solid).

It's just so much simpler running it all through a single box.

As an aside, if you are looking for a UHD Blu-ray player that can do all the Smart stuff, stay away from the LG. It has fuck-all built into it, not even Netflix. And it can't do DLNA over your network, either. I got the Sony UBP-X800, and it does all that just fine. Even the DLNA can run at 4K.

tokkun

Of course I do. With HDMI CEC I don't even need to do anything; it will turn on automatically when my TV turns on.

Why in the world would I go out of my way to get worse quality?

vpance

All this speaker talk is making want to upgrade my 5.1 for Atmos. But I think I'll wait for HDMI 2.1 receivers to come out first.

taybul

I would try another HDMI cable.

Tried and the problem still persists. It was worse in fact to the point where the display kept blacking out. I tried this input with a PS4 Pro and don't seem to have that issue so it might just be the WiiU somehow.

Theonik

All this speaker talk is making want to upgrade my 5.1 for Atmos. But I think I'll wait for HDMI 2.1 receivers to come out first.
You could start by buying two new front speakers with upfiring channels That way you will instantly upgrade to 7.1.2 provided your receiver can do atmos.

I'm starting to realize that. I was reading user comments on the TV I just got (LG UH8500), and one of the most common complaints was that it has only three HDMI inputs. I was kind of baffled, because I've only ever used just one.... the one coming in from the receiver.
This is why any half decent BD player has dual HDMI outputs so you can still get audio out of it without having to change a whole receiver and TV at once. The era between digital becoming less viable for non headphone users and HDMI audio out was painful. A shame consoles don't give us a second HDMI out for audio.

Jedi2016

This is why any half decent BD player has dual HDMI outputs so you can still get audio out of it without having to change a whole receiver and TV at once. The era between digital becoming less viable for non headphone users and HDMI audio out was painful. A shame consoles don't give us a second HDMI out for audio.
Options are always good, I won't argue that.

My old BD player only had one HDMI out, my new one has two. The second one is actually covered by a sticker, I guess they don't really want you using it unless you really need it.. hehe. Or, more likely, it wouldn't work right if you plugged the primary video output into the second port with nothing in the first one.

Theonik

Options are always good, I won't argue that.

My old BD player only had one HDMI out, my new one has two. The second one is actually covered by a sticker, I guess they don't really want you using it unless you really need it.. hehe. Or, more likely, it wouldn't work right if you plugged the primary video output into the second port with nothing in the first one.
Second HDMI port only carries audio yes. Most manufacturers choose to label them as such. The trouble is that people still plug the cable in the wrong port and then return them because they don't work hence why some manufacturers are now covering the second port with a sticker.

Sure, would be interesting whether you notice any handshake issues by having the Pro directly connected to the TV and using HDCP 2.2/HDR.

I can't get the PS4 Pro to handshake at all with the LG 55C7P. It is also failing to negotiate on boot through my Marantz NR1506. Just blinks this blue light. Second beep on safe mode boot same thing, no output.

Not sure if unit is a bust or what, pretty troubling.

vpance

You could start by buying two new front speakers with upfiring channels That way you will instantly upgrade to 7.1.2 provided your receiver can do atmos.

I can't even remember exactly when I bought my receiver is how old it is, but I suspect many people are the same. Going Atmos seems like a worthwhile upgrade though. I like how you can just plop 2-4 more speakers on top of existing ones.

sfedai0

Banned
Not sure why some people are up in arms about this speaker issue. Quite a lot of people live in apartments or condos, where sound is limited. I am very happy that Sony includes a good to passable sound system with the TV.

holygeesus

Banned

It's not always that simple. Some of us do have separate surround systems, but some of us with older set-ups, don't have amps that passthrough 4K HDR, for example.

Caayn

That would be pretty expensive all things considered (2 SKUs) and the stand houses the electronics, as well as the subwoofer if anything it is very space efficient as a design.
Other brands seem to have no trouble pumping out multiple versions of the same TV. Look at the entire 6 and 7 series from LG as an example. Same panel and display tech, different design and sound systems depending on the "premiumness" of the model.

And with more models they can cover and compete in a larger market.
A more conventional stand could be achieved but would make the TV thicker something like Sony's wedge would work. But he form factor isn't due to the speaker It is a design decision.
Indeed as I said, design over functionality. Which is a shame to be honest as it's a great TV.
Not sure why some people are up in arms about this speaker issue. Quite a lot of people live in apartments or condos, where sound is limited. I am very happy that Sony includes a good to passable sound system with the TV.
I realize that. But just look at the popularity of the LG OLED models without the fancy soundbar/speakers. You'll see that people want the choice to buy the same TV but without the premium TV speakers.

Mascot

Does anyone know how the Hisense H49M3000 performs as a gaming screen? I can't find any gaming-specific reviews or info on input lag. I'm considering this set as an upgrade to my racing rig (currently 32" 1080p Samsung, the Hisense would be 49" 4k 8-bit HDR) where all my gaming takes place.

Thanks in advance for any help or shared personal experience. I can get this set for £330 new at the moment.

wege12

Has anyone else noticed that on the B6 darker scenes and darker colors seem to smear/blur a lot more than bright scenes/colors on the B6?
Michael Wegehaupt is online now Report Post
Edit Quote

Another add about the DX902 BFI mode, it actually works with 30 fps gaming too, which I'm really surprised about, I mean people say Sony's motion is amazing, but coming from someone who also owns a W905a, the Panny beats it hands down with BFI, not only does it hardly dim, and keeps 1080 lines, it can handle 30fps with no nasty side effects.

Being that this is Panny's first BFI attempt, it's extremely impressive.

holygeesus

Banned
Vincent Teoh puts other TV "reviews" on YouTube to shame. Great stuff.

Yes he is a great reviewer. I love the way he blends a straight-laced dead-pan delivery style, with some sly comedy at times. Why is he whispering in this video though? Did he record it in a library?

Paragon

Another add about the DX902 BFI mode, it actually works with 30 fps gaming too, which I'm really surprised about, I mean people say Sony's motion is amazing, but coming from someone who also owns a W905a, the Panny beats it hands down with BFI, not only does it hardly dim, and keeps 1080 lines, it can handle 30fps with no nasty side effects.
Being that this is Panny's first BFI attempt, it's extremely impressive.

Unless it is strobing at 30Hz - which I guarantee it is not - it is going to have double-images or worse when displaying 30 FPS content.
Based on the previous comments, it sounds like it's strobing at 120Hz which would mean double-images with 60 FPS content and quadruple-images with 30 FPS content.

Which is exactly what it looks like in HDTVtest's review:

For comparison, here is a CRT displaying 24 FPS content at 96Hz, 72Hz, 48Hz, and 24Hz:
24fpskxo1o1elr7.jpg

If you are using BFI or some other form of low-persistence display, the strobe frequency must be equal to the source framerate, or the source must be interpolated to match the strobe frequency.

Unless it is strobing at 30Hz - which I guarantee it is not - it is going to have double-images or worse when displaying 30 FPS content.
Based on the previous comments, it sounds like it's strobing at 120Hz which would mean double-images with 60 FPS content and quadruple-images with 30 FPS content.

Which is exactly what it looks like in HDTVtest's review:

For comparison, here is a CRT displaying 24 FPS content at 96Hz, 72Hz, 48Hz, and 24Hz:
24fpskxo1o1elr7.jpg

If you are using BFI or some other form of low-persistence display, the strobe frequency must be equal to the source framerate, or the source must be interpolated to match the strobe frequency.

Don't get me wrong there is a slight and I mean slight extension to the image at 60fps, but you are basically swapping a trail of blur with it off, for crisp textures and a very slight extension of the image, which is just miles better.

As for 30 fps, it just looks like a clearer judder of the image, like with BFI off you get the judder but with not very distinguishable frames, so it's blurry judder essentially.

But yeah I guess it's because the Panny has a native 120hz panel as opposed to the 60hz of the Sony, but regardless it's a clear step up, and I'm guessing the Sony has nice BFI on it's 120hz panels, but for whatever reason, Panasonic managed it with relatively low lag, even with interpolation, as its all under the IFC mode which is either on or off, id never use interpolation anyway.

I'm absolutely no expert on the matter, and you sound like you know your stuff, buy just eyeballing how it looks and it's clear to see that it's much better, and leaves the Sony in the dirt.

When I stick clear motion on, the screen dims i.e BFI, but it's not until you start turning up deblur 0-10 it begins to clear up the image, 10 being the clearest.

HDTVtest video review of the B7, Vincent reckons 35% improvement over B6.

https://youtu.be/F9OvPfPd8s0

Decent video, and honest summary although the value aspect of the B/C6 at the minute really can't be understated.

My only issue with all of the reviews coming out for this years models is as if they take place in a vacuum where no other TV has been released. I'm not sure if that's because they're new, and I know HDTVTest isn't one of the bigger sites, but there never appears to be a direct comparison in these reviews to competing sets.

I just find it odd and not actually that informative when compared to something like PC hardware reviews.

It's true what they say.

Once you go OLED, you don't go back.

Yep. Once you go OLED, it makes other TV's look obsolete, at least imo. Hard to believe they are making noticeable improvements in each year. I wonder imagine what OLED's will be like in 5 to 10 years.

TheBoss1

But just look at the popularity of the LG OLED models without the fancy soundbar/speakers. You'll see that people want the choice to buy the same TV but without the premium TV speakers.

Most people buy these sets because they're the cheapest you can get an OLED set for, not because they have a better sound system at home. I've been in enough homes to know that most don't give a shit about sound.

Caayn

Most people buy these sets because they're the cheapest you can get an OLED set for, not because they have a better sound system at home. I've been in enough homes to know that most don't give a shit about sound.
That doesn't invalidate me saying that people want to option to have the same TV without the premium speakers.

vpance

Decent video, and honest summary although the value aspect of the B/C6 at the minute really can't be understated.

My only issue with all of the reviews coming out for this years models is as if they take place in a vacuum where no other TV has been released. I'm not sure if that's because they're new, and I know HDTVTest isn't one of the bigger sites, but there never appears to be a direct comparison in these reviews to competing sets.

I just find it odd and not actually that informative when compared to something like PC hardware reviews.

He just needs to review more TVs but I guess he only does ones that get sent to him?

Top Bottom