• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II |OT| Alas, Thou Art getting a Switch Port Hero

Dragoshi1

Finished the first battle sequence complete with boss. Really fun! Haven't tried Maribel and Ruff yet because I really like my party and just wanted to keep continuing with the battle sequences. Definitely loving the improvements to DQH1.

Anyone find the DLC weapons? Or the DQH1 save bonus costumes? I got nothing.

Also my PSN is XxVpunxX if anyone wants to play online multi

Make sure you hit claim rewards at the main menu where you load your save/start a new game first, then head to accordia.

After that, you should get pop up messages for each DLC when you go to Arcadia. To change costumes talk to the yellow ghost in the building on the left, and the weapons should be in your inventory already.

Crevox

Seems like I'm not having any GPU usage problems, but still can't maintain 4k as a playable resolution with a GTX 1080. GPU usage sits in town at 80-90% with 60 FPS, but when combat starts it can't keep up the FPS. Modifying global illumination and volumetric fog definitely helps, but there's still just not enough GPU power to handle it I guess. Would need SLI bits to do it (anyone? anyone?).

So, for now I'm stuck at 1440p. Game still looks great, just could be better. The action scenes only get crazier further in the game, so 4k would've crumpled at that point beyond just 5-15 FPS loss.

I've been to Accordia like 4 times already.

I don't remember hitting any claim rewards button, but when I ended up in Accordia, the game popped up a ton of messages saying I got the items, once after another. The weapons are mostly only good right at the start of the game (outclassed very quickly), but they have neat skins I suppose. The two costumes are nice, but not something I would use.

Bladenic

Yeah I've hit the claim rewards multiple times and nothing so far. Really weird. I guess it's not a big deal but it's strange if I can't get them.

Reknoc

I enjoyed the first one to a point but my god, this really does just make it feel like the original was nothing more than a prototype that managed to get released and this is the real thing.

Only thing I miss about the first one is that I think I much preferred the original characters of the first than the ones in this one.

Skulldead

After 4 hour, it much better then the first one.... they correct about every major problem of the first one:

- Skill variety, you have more then 4 skill now for all the game for each character, can swap them between each encounter, remove a lot of the repetition of the first game. Class system for the hero is nice too

- Much much harder, yeah enemies hit a lot harder, the boss are particularly pretty challenging can get one shot if not well prepare.

- Medal feel way more powerful, they seem more useful then just summon like the first game

- Exploration is a nice change of space, but i think it could be a little better, nothing feel really dangerous so far, BUT i think there optional bosses or hunt like thing right ?

- Proficiency is really cool, encourage to use other member party other then stick whit only the same 4 during all the course of the game or only play whit the hero, i really like that idea.

- Some Tower defense mechanic are still a there, but they don't feel as repetitive as the first game.

- I really like the accessory upgrade system, each of them have a tree of upgrade that you can unlock with item drop by the enemies. It make every accessories somewhat useful to upgrade. Also make grinding items really fun.

Can't wait to play more, this is a really freaking good sequel(plat the first one), too bad it will probably bomb, i bought the first copy of my videogamestore, yesterday...

Lanrutcon

Here you go:

Make sure to thank Gyoru especially. I made some tweaks in Reshade's file to disable the mild sharpening and changed the SMAA from 0.05 to 0.08.

Lovely stuff. Rebought the game, and happily playing along now. It's a bit harder and I haven't found a character I dig yet, but I'm sure I'll hit a bow character soon enough.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
If anyone's interested, I dug up my impressions after finishing the Japanese version from the import ot (no spoilers):
Credits rolling, I just finished the game. As much better as the sequel was, I'm not going to do the postgame, because I've had enough button mashing for a few months (my hand actually hurts).

I was very surprised with how short the main story was (~23 hours) compared to the previous one (~35?), although since the first game dragged like heck near the end, I'm happy that they didn't go for the forced length.

I also did ~70% quests, since I didn't feel like rushing and wanted to enjoy my time with the game.

I also did the first two multiplayer dungeons multiple times, both online and offline. They're fun, although a bit short.

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is what the first game should have been. It barely has elements of tower defense, and big fields/multiplayer are a great addition.
While I was bored near the end of DQH1, I think the second one is the perfect length before the player gets bored with the (let's face it ;) same-ish combat.

One complaint which I have is dumb party AI. I'm not expecting them to perform advanced combos or parry attacks, but healing me when I lose almost half of HP would be great. Also if they actually attacked most of the time and not just used their buffs/debuffs and run around, most fights would be over much faster.

Also, if anyone's interested, here's the playlist with my full playthrough.
I'm really in a DQ mood (finished 7 yesterday, now playing 8) and I was thinking about grabbing the game again to do all the quests I missed, post game and DLC stuff, maybe some multiplayer.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I disliked the first one. Or more like it got me bored because of these tower defense stuff. But I love this one because it's more of an actual Musou title with some light RPG elements.

I've always liked tower defense stuff haha. But I just loved how hard the bonus stuff got at the end. Was a really nice surprise how challenging it all was

Bladenic

I miss my boy Yangus. :( He's my favorite character in the franchise and always had a place in my party in DQH1.

Same. Him and Bianca both being removed hurts my soul.

Anyway I got the DQ6 characters on my team now, haven't used them yet as I'm trying to get some other characters to proficiency level 5 for more party skills. I was using Maribel and I'm assuming she's the same as Isla, who I hated playing as but I'm liking Maribel a lot. I started fighting this wandering tree monster and all physical attacks were doing 1-2 damage but luckily I was playing as Maribel and used Frizz and did lots of damage. Can't remember if DQH1 had a weakness system in place.

I don't like that Tension was nerfed though haha. Miss charging tension up for all 4 characters just to have and unleash 4 super moves back to back. I imagine Terry won't be the broken powerhouse he was in 1 due to this nerf.

And finally, the AI seems to have been nerfed heavily too. I really don't recall having AI issues in the first game, they weren't genius IQ level AI but they attacked viciously and healed (well Jessica did anyway). Here, they either rarely attack or do attack but doesn't feel like they're aggressive. I believe the issue might actually be the whole sheating weapon and whatnot, if you don't attack an enemy to actually trigger the battle music, they won't attack. But they're generally less aggressive in my opinion in sequence battles too. Not a huge deal but it feels like I have to do more work.

Lucreto

I did twice the work last weekend to clear this weekend so I can play the game for a solid 3 days as it's a long weekend and the game didn't arrive.

No post until Tuesday now and I won't get near it until the following weekend. I don't know if I am angry or sad.

Einhandr

I'm playing on ps4 and I can't to connect to my friend using the password. It just says connecting on the bottom right hand corner for maybe 3 seconds, disappears and takes me back to the screen where it asks if I want to go solo or ask for help. I checked gamefaqs and I guess I'm not the only one. Anyone else here experiencing these issues? I hope they fix it else I may have to return it.

Edit: He tried hosting a dimensional dungeon lobby and keeps getting an error. Are the servers just getting hammered?

Also calling for help without a password nets the same results.

This is pretty fun. Never played a dynasty warrior type game before. I just wish I didn't have to play as that doofus male character(not into female). At least the awesome monster designs make up for it

Linkura

Damn, quite a difficulty spike ~10 hours in at
Bedrock/Great Divide.
Bunch of enemies that can one or two shot. With only 4 leaves for the most part, they can go fast if you get unlucky. I have all upgraded equipment and done all but one side quest up to this point too.

Bladenic

Damn, quite a difficulty spike ~10 hours in at
Bedrock/Great Divide.
Bunch of enemies that can one or two shot. With only 4 leaves for the most part, they can go fast if you get unlucky. I have all upgraded equipment and done all but one side quest up to this point too.

Wow I must be playing really slowly, I dunno what area that is and I just got Maya with 12:30 on the clock. Frankly I've no idea how i played that much but I don't recall leaving the game on without playing so not sure.

Also I just realized between DQH1 and 2+switch version they've had every single DQ4 character playable sans Borya. Yet they removed both Nera and Bianca without offering any other DQ5 representatives :(

Gunkankun

3 hours in and love the game! Enough skill variety to keep me engaged and combat has been fun and challenging. The DQ nostalgia is icing on the cake.

Lanrutcon

Spamming online: everyone is struggling with Great Divide. It's all I get asked to join.

So I go in and spam with mah bow. Haven't seen a single other bow user online so far.

Bladenic

Wow fuck the great divide and the fucking midget king right in their asses. Was right at the end when the stupid ass kind died. Now I gotta that whole 30 minute long trash AGAIN.

Linkura

Wow I must be playing really slowly, I dunno what area that is and I just got Maya with 12:30 on the clock. Frankly I've no idea how i played that much but I don't recall leaving the game on without playing so not sure.

You're right before where I'm at.

I asked my husband about the spike this morning and he says you have to dodge much more in this game or you're gonna get one-shotted. He says the attacks are generally telegraphed and that you have to pay attention. So basically, an entirely different strategy from the first game.

Bladenic

I'm really liking the party I used for the last battle of Pink Devil, Maya, Meena, and Cesar. Unfortunately I want to switch it up, going to the show area with Carver, Torneko (been benched for a while but Sage's Stone <3) and Maribel (pretty awesome). I was level 25 warrior but I'm switching to Priest at level 11 so I'm gonna be hitting for 1s haha. Martial Artist is at 16, while I haven't touched Mage or Thief.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
You're right before where I'm at.

I asked my husband about the spike this morning and he says you have to dodge much more in this game or you're gonna get one-shotted. He says the attacks are generally telegraphed and that you have to pay attention. So basically, an entirely different strategy from the first game.

Not quite, that's how all the post game missions in the first game became. It was basically monster hunter dq edition at that point

Lanrutcon

What I hate about some fights is how the bosses are hardcoded to ignore your party and go straight for you. I'm on the other side of the area using a bow, and the boss will ignore the 3 melee members with provoke accessories to come hit me and only me. That's straight up bullshit.

And how your party member can't be ordered to engage the enemy, so sometimes they just stand around because I'm attacking from range.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
What I hate about some fights is how the bosses are hardcoded to ignore your party and go straight for you. I'm on the other side of the area using a bow, and the boss will ignore the 3 melee members with provoke accessories to come hit me and only me. That's straight up bullshit.

And how your party member can't be ordered to engage the enemy, so sometimes they just stand around because I'm attacking from range.

Just swap to the melee range dudes when the boss starts walking to you and get back shots in with the melee guys. Learning to use at least 2 of your party members on the fly goes a long way it will also increase your damage output overall as the ai doesn't go crazy with attacks.

One way to handle that situation is to swap to character slot 4 as the monster is heading towards your main. Then do the team tag special which will give you control back of character 1 but they are teleported to character 4's spot

Lanrutcon

Just swap to the melee range dudes when the boss starts walking to you and get back shots in with the melee guys. Learning to use at least 2 of your party members on the fly goes a long way it will also increase your damage output overall as the ai doesn't go crazy with attacks.

One way to handle that situation is to swap to character slot 4 as the monster is heading towards your main. Then do the team tag special which will give you control back of character 1 but they are teleported to character 4's spot

Yeah, I could swap around but there are skills and items that specifically state they provoke enemies to attack them. They straight up don't work in boss fights, which is a bug or just shitty design. Might as well just run with 3 bow characters and the healer.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yeah, I could swap around but there are skills and items that specifically state they provoke enemies to attack them. They straight up don't work in boss fights, which is a bug or just shitty design. Might as well just run with 3 bow characters and the healer.

The items are chance based, the skills... well the npcs have to use them first LOL

The thing is as the controlled character you are generally going to be pumping out way more damage than the npcs ever do so the mobs are going to have a chance to turn on you.

If you are expecting to just sit back and semi afk just attacking all day the game will never be at that point where that is a thing

Lanrutcon

The items are chance based, the skills... well the npcs have to use them first LOL

The thing is as the controlled character you are generally going to be pumping out way more damage than the npcs ever do so the mobs are have a chance to turn on you

Oh, I've manually swapped to the NPCs and used the skills. I can spam whistle with an almost fully upgraded provoke bell at the boss and he'll instantly target me...then I swap back and he instantly forgets about that character.

Edit: I used to think it was damage based, but it's not. I can stand around doing nothing and the boss will walk the entire length of the battlefield through my party to come have a chat.

This game is a lot of fun. I've always had a soft spot for more fantasy-oriented musous, although I usually lose interest after 10-15 hours.

The structure of this one w/ world maps, cities, and quest zones is quite nice, could see myself sticking w/ it 'til the end.

Bladenic

Man Angelo doesn't seem anywhere near as good as Bianca. For one, Rain of Pain was nerfed (though it might still be good for bosses/mini boss enemies). Bummer :(

Really liked the first game but I'm surprised how much better this one feels. The voice acting is excellent, I like the skill system, the more open levels and the visuals. 25 hours in currently, just working through the snow area.

The online seems crap though. I get a lot of errors and it seems kind of dead.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Really liked the first game but I'm surprised how much better this one feels. The voice acting is excellent, I like the skill system, the more open levels and the visuals. 25 hours in currently, just working through the snow area.

The online seems crap though. I get a lot of errors and it seems kind of dead.

On PS4 Im getting match up with people constantly as long as i leave it passively up

Any suggestion on best melee weapon/class for the hero? I'm doing claws right noway for MA and it's pretty damn fun, but wondering if there are any super strong combinations to be aware of?

I have the first but only played about 3 hours before setting it aside for no good reason. I didn't dislike it. Should I finish that one first or just jump to this one?

Top Bottom