• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 3DS/XL top screen displays: IPS or non-IPS?

narton

Ok, looks like I got screen A. When I'm in the menu sometimes the whites looked yellowish, so I kinda prefereed the somehwat cool look that my original 3dsxl has. But I turned off power saving and Mario Kart 7 DOES look more coloful. So I guess I won?

big_z

Does this explain the yellow tint my N3DS XL has, or is it just a bad one?

I explain the reason for the yellow(and other tints) early in the thread along with a way to test your screens for it. The tint issue is separate problem from the screen a and b comparison.

The tint has to do with calibration or lack there of. Most 3ds screens suffer one color tint or another, it just depends on how bad yours is and if it bothers you. I've seen some so bad it looks like the system has been sitting in a room of chain smokers for 20 years.

narton

I explain the reason for the yellow(and other tints) early in the thread along with a way to test your screens for it. It has to do with calibration or lack there of. Most 3ds screens suffer one color tint or another, it just depends on how bad yours is and if it bothers you. I've seen some so bad it looks like the system has been sitting in a room of chain smokers for 20 years.

Okay. I have a black model. I'm starting to get used to and even prefer the colors. And even if I was to exchange it, my store won't let me get a red model. And I am haappy with the 3D and IPS.

Fusebox

Banned
Vita-1000's OLED display was poorly calibrated -- with a gamma level that's way off -- oversaturating all colours beyond their original intended look, but Vita-2000 is pretty well calibrated (Sony even marketed it as showing "natural" colours in Japan), a first for the company given how badly calibrated the Xperia phones were at the time.

My problem is the wild variations in all handheld screens per-device.

My first Vita 2000 was a piss-stained mess compared to my 1000:

IMG_4261.JPG

And my first n3DS XL had a top screen that was so yellow compared to the bottom I had to return it. My new MM XL is much better, though still not as perfect as my regular n3DS screen.

It shouldn't be so hard to make all their screens the exact same color, should it?

Seems like I got the good screen. No loose hinge, dead pixels or other noticeable defects. MH4U edition here.

I lucked out too, really glad I didn't get any defects. My screen doesn't move left and right at all, hinge isn't loose, I have an IPS screen, no dead pixels...

Really ridiculous there's so many things that commonly go wrong with this thing though.

big_z

It shouldn't be so hard to make all their screens the exact same color, should it?

It's not hard to make them with single digit tolerances in quality but that calibration step in manufacturing adds a few cents per screen. Nintendo loves its pennies.

Interesting. It's been near impossible to judge from the photos posted. I wish the various teardowns had paid attention to the display assembly. In my experience, quality TN panels can deliver much better color reproduction at wide horizontal viewing angles than the "Type B" example posted earlier, as demonstrated by my 2011 MacBook Pro: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cxGFzZe3HGM. So it's not only that they're using TN panels, but low-quality ones. They remind me of my earliest laptops.

Indeed. TN panels tend to deliver good horizontal viewing angles but awful vertical ones (the DSi was a good example of this), it's a shame the N3DS XL TN panels don't.

Hmm I believe I have screen A or the IPS screen on my n3dsxl. When I look at it from the sides, the screen and menu are still clear and readable. Similar to the right n3dsxl in the OP picture.

Really crazy how they cheap out on hardware. They must make a killing on hardware.

I don't think their margins on hardware are that great, or anywhere near as good as they were in the DS days. Especially so in 2012 where the yen was strong.

I can see why they might have to make cuts, even with the IPS model. The problem likely stems from Nintendo having to source three screens, two for the parallax barrier 3D display and one for the lower touch panel.

And of course, Nintendo has to count for its overhead and marketing/R&D costs which would be comparatively high compared with, say, bargain basement (but still great value!) Lynx Windows tablets, which come from a company with 0 marketing budget and probably employs the bare minimum of staff.

Clefargle

I think my girlfriend's N3DSXL is one of the good screen types. The colors are noticeably better, and has a broad viewing angle. I noticed this before I read this thread but it's good to hear some explanations.

POLOTo9.jpg

Decided to take a pic. Left is MM3DSXL, right is ALBWXL. Brightness at 5 on both, and 3D off. As you can see, the New XL's screen (on left) isn't nearly as washed out. Am I in the cool club?

Hmmmm...is this screen a Type A or a Type B?

This is the Majora's Mask new 3DS XL that I own - the screen brightness is as high as it gets.

My other new 3DS (non-XL) side view:

If you compare with the post I quoted above, your two screens look much more like the one pictured to the right. In other words, colours are washed out to the point where I would say you definitely have two TN panels on your hands.

It would be interesting to hear from someone who has a regular N3DS with a "Type A" panel. So far the XL seems like a lottery, but is it the same for the regular model?

Moreover, and panel lottery suckiness aside, are the viewing angles actually bothersome to anyone? It seems kind of counterproductive for Nintendo to install a head tracking camera, yet impede the experience with a low quality display panel.

I'm telling everyone that I know to wait if they want to get one, this first batch is terrible. A couple of friends already listened.

To elaborate: I'm mostly just waiting for new stock to arrive at my local shops (the ones with very lax return policies in particular). I had originally planned on going 30 km to a neighbouring town to pick one up today, but I'm thinking I should instead pick one or two up at each of my two local stores, test them out, and return all but one that's hopefully up to snuff. I've never done this before, but if Nintendo is going to be this sloppy about quality then I feel compelled to take advantage of the store offerings. Basically, they allow us 30 days to try stuff at home, under the condition that it's returned good as new. I don't think I can be arsed to do more than four units. I don't want to put down that kind of money either.

If I can get one out of four without piss tint and dead pixels, I'll gladly settle for a TN panel. I'd be happy to report my findings here, but it'll be a while.

My screen on the New XL is definitely the better version of the two potential types. The enhanced 3D viewing angle is superb. I've always played the 3DS with the 3D on max, so the improved 3D has eliminated hiccups on hectic games (such as Smash Brothers), thus I could never go back to my O.G. XL. I will miss my Mario & Luigi special edition, but my 4 year old daughter is currently enjoying Cooking Mama on it, so it still gets love. :)

Rich!

hm so uh....anyone want to offer an opinion on my 3DS XL? TN or IPS? It's a launch Australian New XL unit I bought back in November. I've always been impressed by the improved contrast, flawless viewing angle in 2D (and 3D!) and colours over the original models.

Here are the best shots I could get - apologies for the bad lighting/blurriness - couldn't get better with my phone camera:

hm so uh....anyone want to offer an opinion on my 3DS XL? TN or IPS? It's a launch Australian New XL unit I bought back in November. I've always been impressed by the improved contrast, flawless viewing angle in 2D (and 3D!) and colours over the original models.

Here are the best shots I could get - apologies for the bad lighting/blurriness - couldn't get better with my phone camera:

If colours appear stable as you tilt the screen to extreme angles, then it's not a TN panel. It should be much easier to spot by tilting the screen backward and forward, rather than from side to side. If we were talking about quality TN panels, I wouldn't be able to tell
much from those photos/angles TBH. But seeing as the TN panels in this thread have a tendency towards horrible, and the color reproduction on your system seems fine, chances are you won the lottery this time. If you have to ask anyway, you probably aren't dealing with a TN panel ;).

EDIT: yeah, judging by the extra photos, that's very much an IPS panel.

Rich!

If colours appear stable as you tilt the screen to extreme angles, then it's not a TN panel. It should be much easier to spot by tilting the screen backward and forward, rather than from side to side. If we were talking about quality TN panels, I wouldn't be able to tell
much from those photos/angles TBH. But seeing as the TN panels in this thread have a tendency towards horrible, and the color reproduction on your system seems fine, chances are you won the lottery this time. If you have to ask anyway, you probably aren't dealing with a TN panel ;).

ah awesome :D I think I'm alright then. The super stable 3D is damn near flawless too.

here's a few more images just to make sure:

So wait now I'm confused. Some of the IPS displays are bad??

I want a N3DSXL, I definitely want IPS, definitely want 3D, and would love for the screen to not turn yellow / brown at lower brightness. Will the in store units work for me?

Rich!

So wait now I'm confused. Some of the IPS displays are bad??

I want a N3DSXL, I definitely want IPS, definitely want 3D, and would love for the screen to not turn yellow / brown at lower brightness. Will the in store units work for me?

No. All the IPS screens are good. The issue is that not all of the New XL consoles have IPS screens - some are TN. There is no way of knowing without physically testing the thing.

I wasn't even sure myself, but luckily it looks like mine is an IPS one

So basically a subset of the n3DSXLs use an IPS display? But all other models use TN displays?

3DS
3DSXL
2DS
n3DS

Are all TN panels.

n3DSXL

Can have an IPS or TN panel screen.

The display on my regular new 3DS looks more like an IPS display than a TN display. Vertical viewing angles show a slight loss of contrast, but not the extreme image degradation TN is known for with vertical viewing angles (colors shifting, almost inverting).

More than that, diagonal viewing angles are horrible and completely wash the image out, a typical trait of IPS displays, my IPS monitors do the exact same thing.

It does seem to have a bit of IPS glow as well (testing with Donkey Kong, white letters on a black background).

Blacks are not very deep, which is also typical for IPS displays.

Response time is pretty good, but I'm pretty sure this is an IPS display, not the best kind though.

EDIT: My N3DS display looks the same as in richisawesome's shots, check your diagonal viewing angles as well.
EDIT2: My N3DS viewing angles look exactly the same as on my IPS monitors, which are slightly worse actually.

fred

Not sure about the New 3DS XL but the regular New 3DS screen looks miles better than the OG 3DS screens. Nintendo have probably changed panel manufacturers I think...there's quite a bit of difference between the colours and sharpness between the two.

zoozilla

Something I've been wondering is why you can't calibrate displays on devices like handhelds, phones, tablets, etc.

I always assumed that portable displays were calibrated to match a reference display, which developers could use when making their games.

Seeing how much screens can vary, though, seems like that's not the case.

Tablo

Thought this was known, easier to source larger IPS panels most likely. I'm going to wait and see before I upgrade from my 2DS, I want IPS XL for sure.
Pokemon looks really bland on my 2DS, it's a colorful game, I need them to look nice like the DS games looked good on my DSi XL, which I believe had an IPS display too, a nice one anyways.

d00d3n

I had no idea about these issues when I bought my n3dsxl, but I guess I won the lottery. Type A screen, no dead pixels, no debris under screen and the hinge does not feel loose. The calibration is a bit more difficult to test (can't find an old 3ds game to test with), but I don't notice a yellow tint or anything when I play 3ds games.

No. All the IPS screens are good. The issue is that not all of the New XL consoles have IPS screens - some are TN. There is no way of knowing without physically testing the thing.

I wasn't even sure myself, but luckily it looks like mine is an IPS one
This is absolutely fucking ridiculous.

Yrael

If you compare with the post I quoted above, your two screens look much more like the one pictured to the right. In other words, colours are washed out to the point where I would say you definitely have two TN panels on your hands.

Fuuuuuuuuuck.

I managed to lose the 3DS lottery every time then, because every 3DS I've owned, new or otherwise, is like that. FFS, this really shouldn't happen.

Fargo_Dog

Banned
I have a Majora's Mask N3DSXL and I'm in the UK. I was fortunate enough to get an IPS screen. The easiest way to tell is if the quality drops off on the top screen to the same degree as the bottom screen. There's a pretty extreme difference between the two if it's an IPS screen, particularly on the main menu with the default theme.

Based on the viewing angel I think it is safe to assume they replace TN with IPS for new XLs. These IPS is also on the cheaper end and not really aiming for color accuracy.

Yrael

Hmm...Australia's actually just received plenty of the second shipment of Majora's Mask 3DS XL. I'm mulling over the idea of getting a replacement with an IPS panel this week, and selling off my current one. (God, how many 3DSes have I gone through now? Ridiculous.)

It's interesting though...I don't think I've ever actually seen a new 3DS XL with an IPS panel. From memory, the demo unit in EB Games looks much the same as my own console. I'd never have even known that there are much better screens if it wasn't for this thread. I think I'd actually have to see an IPS screen in person to decide whether it's worth the hassle of a replacement - photos don't always capture the reality so well.

Edit:

I wouldn't want to be one of those gamers who's constantly exchanging his system in a quest to get an absolutely perfect in every way system... that's just sad to me.

:(

Rootbeer

Banned
After examining and testing against the test cases, fairly certain that my MM N3DSXL is an IPS. Damn well better be considering its limited nature!

I hate this though because it's either going to put people off from buying a N3DS/XL or make those that feel they have an 'inferior' display have buyer's remorse. Hopefully people can look past it and enjoy the games.

I wouldn't want to be one of those gamers who's constantly exchanging his system in a quest to get an absolutely perfect in every way system... that's just sad to me.

Oh dang I can snag an IPS panel with the N3DSXL?

Game changer right there.

Is it better to wait for better chances at the lottery or do you guys think they'll phase the IPS panels out?

After examining and testing against the test cases, fairly certain that my MM N3DSXL is an IPS. Damn well better be considering its limited nature!

I hate this though because it's either going to put people off from buying a N3DS/XL or make those that feel they have an 'inferior' display have buyer's remorse. Hopefully people can look past it and enjoy the games.

I have the seemingly inferior screen on mine but while I can be picky, I'm cool with it.

I was more worried about dead pixels and that shit.

I'm not a techhead much at all but I doubt the IPS screens turn the 3DS screen into a Playstation Vita:p

Top Bottom