• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

IrishNinja

Combo execution master desk does some impressive work with a 3-button pad in this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p314PBZtl4
If he did it vs real opponents, I'd say he needs to enter a tournament immediately bc he would be amazing.

The only one in the video hard to pull off (even with a 6button controller) was guile standing fierce leading up to a sonic kick.
that would shut off the machine entirely in original sfII arcade. everyone avoided that combo or risk losing their quarter. shadow throws... much safer.

NDPsycho

Got my HD Retrovision cables today...holy shit they're cool. Got the Saturn and SNES cables too. Spent the day just checking out games. Totaly worth it, never seen such clean Genesis graphics.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finally bought a Genesis. Hopefully, all goes well with it this time -- last couple times I tried buying one, there were problems. Long story. But yeah, I've never owned a Genesis before. I've obviously played one, and quite a few of the more popular games on various compilations and the like... but that's it. I started buying Genesis games 9 years ago, with the intention of getting the system (obviously), so hopefully third time's the charm.

I bought the Japanese Mega Drive 1, in case anyone's curious/cares.

Khaz

Got my HD Retrovision cables today...holy shit they're cool. Got the Saturn and SNES cables too. Spent the day just checking out games. Totally worth it, never seen such clean Genesis graphics.

Yeah it's really a world between Composite and RGB.

b3b0p

New Genesis Gems podcast on Sports Talk Baseball. Listened and remembered my memories of playing the "snot" out of this game with friends.

SportsTalkBaseballBoxShotGenesis.jpg

BTails

Generation 16 is still a thing! It's moved to a single-game format. The latest episode, reviewing Arrow Flash, is now live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwTEUgicJLA

Yes! Can't wait to watch when I get home.

Also, I listened to the Alien Storm OST while on the treadmill at lunch today. It was 29 minutes long, perfect length for a workout. Does anyone else listen to VGM OSTs when working out, and what are some of your favourites? For me, usually anythign Sega, Capcom, or Konami really get me pumped up.

Also, I listened to the Alien Storm OST while on the treadmill at lunch today. It was 29 minutes long, perfect length for a workout. Does anyone else listen to VGM OSTs when working out, and what are some of your favourites? For me, usually anythign Sega, Capcom, or Konami really get me pumped up.

Sometimes I listen to aggressive tunes like the Doom soundtrack (both the IDKFA arrangements as well as Mick Gordon's soundtrack from the 2016 reboot). But I also listen to chill stuff and happy music like the Katamari soundtracks lol.

If you mean specifically genesis music, Yuzo Koshiro's stuff in unfuckwithable; rage, revenge, it's all good.

Shaneus

Not when working out, but in general I just like to rock out and kind of marvel in how dynamic they sound. The original MK* has such insane bottom end and solid samples/instruments used, I think it's right up there with my all time MD faves.

Super Fantasy Zone gets a pass as well, given how the bonus soundtrack sounds literally identical to the original arcade game. Shame they couldn't have gotten closer with Outrun, still sounds like arse by comparison :/

*I would fucking kill to have this on wax, honestly think the format would do it justice. Plus the cover could be kickarse, too.

Thunderforce IV, Musha and Guilty Gear series are my go to workout OSTs. The recent Megaman X ym2612 cover has been working for me as well.

Powerlifting though instead of treadmilling. I don't want to go catabolic.

BTails

Back on the treadmill in about an hour... Maybe that MMX ym2612 cover is my ticket for today. I'm super familiar with the soundtrack from the SNES version, so a hard hitting Genny-style might be perfect.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Back on the treadmill in about an hour... Maybe that MMX ym2612 cover is my ticket for today. I'm super familiar with the soundtrack from the SNES version, so a hard hitting Genny-style might be perfect.

It hits pretty hard. Was actually a really good choice for jumping rope this morning.

It's fantastic. He gives you a link to the vgm files which can easily be played on your phone with foobar

Got my HD Retrovision cables today...holy shit they're cool. Got the Saturn and SNES cables too. Spent the day just checking out games. Totaly worth it, never seen such clean Genesis graphics.

I'm waiting to get paid so I can order some for my Genesis as well. I've been eyeballing HD Retrovision for sometime now, I would much rather go this route than pay lots of money for RGB.

BTails

Yup, so Megaman X did the trick. I still prefer the original SNES sountrack, but I'm also super familiar with it. The bass and drums really kick on this new version.

Also, Spark Mandrill's stage is the best BGM in the game. COME AT ME.

NDPsycho

I'm waiting to get paid so I can order some for my Genesis as well. I've been eyeballing HD Retrovision for sometime now, I would much rather go this route than pay lots of money for RGB.

Just make sure and follow their advice to test your tv and make sure it will take the 240p signal. They don't work on all my tv's. Super easy to test though.

IrishNinja

Just make sure and follow their advice to test your tv and make sure it will take the 240p signal. They don't work on all my tv's. Super easy to test though.

this is good advice - how do you do this without an everdrive, though? that's the only way i know offhand

Khaz

this is good advice - how do you do this without an everdrive, though? that's the only way i know offhand

I don't think an Everdrive is involved? Testing your TV is for example by playing a PS1 game on a PS2 with Component cables. A Wii may be used too, possibly.

NDPsycho

I don't think an Everdrive is involved? Testing your TV is for example by playing a PS1 game on a PS2 with Component cables. A Wii may be used too, possibly.

That's one way, but you can also take the yellow composite lead from the standard av of the console to the green (Y) component jack. If you get a stable b/w image it is compatible. If your component jacks are a shared component/composite hookup, just plug in something not powered into the other two component jacks to make it treat it like a component connection.

Do this for any system tv combo you're buying for. Some tested tv's work for genesis, but not snes.

Things might be out of date, but Samsung tv's appear to have the highest compatibility on a lot of lists.

IrishNinja

ohhh right right, thought you meant just with a genny for some reason

That's one way, but you can also take the yellow composite lead from the standard av of the console to the green (Y) component jack. If you get a stable b/w image it is compatible. If your component jacks are a shared component/composite hookup, just plug in something not powered into the other two component jacks to make it treat it like a component connection.

Do this for any system tv combo you're buying for. Some tested tv's work for genesis, but not snes.

Things might be out of date, but Samsung tv's appear to have the highest compatibility on a lot of lists.

this is all news to me too, good to know!

Anyone ever played any of these D&D games? They look pretty rad.

I have. I rather like D&D: WotES
Trying to move your party from level 1 to level 2 is rough, but it get's a little more manageable once you've managed to do that.

There's also D&D: Order of the Griffin for the TG-16. It's not as good. It's a lot closer to how the old PC gold box games played, where as WotES splits between overhead 3/4 sections, and 1st person view grid-based dungeon crawls.

Well you guys won't belive this but it looks like the new Sega flashback fails in ways only Sega could manage (yes I know it's not made by Sega but they are putting their God damn name on it)

https://www.gamespot.com/sega-genesis-flashback-classic-console-review/

Good lord. The review doesn't even really go into PQ, which I assume is total shit thanks to filters. The Sonic image shown with the review certainly looks that way. It's really too bad that people will be tempted to buy this. You know it will sell to some extent.

Good lord. The review doesn't even really go into PQ, which I assume is total shit thanks to filters. The Sonic image shown with the review certainly looks that way. It's really too bad that people will be tempted to buy this. You know it will sell to some extent.

Peter Brown knows his shit when it comes to retro games as well.

I know they aren't marketing these plug and play consoles towards us but it makes me sad constantly seeing Segas name attached to such garbage.

IrishNinja

Well you guys won't belive this but it looks like the new Sega flashback fails in ways only Sega could manage (yes I know it's not made by Sega but they are putting their God damn name on it)

https://www.gamespot.com/sega-genesis-flashback-classic-console-review/

It's really too bad that people will be tempted to buy this. You know it will sell to some extent.

goddammit, why did i hope for something better here
for real, shit like that rewind button sounded cool

Top Bottom