• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGaf's Classic Film Club Week 2 - The Thin Red Line (1998)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team Klimt said:
Fair enough of a complaint. He does get seemingly long-winded at times, but if you look at it from the perspective of it being the creator's words, not the characters' words, I think you'll better understand why critics praise Mallick so much.

That really doesn't help much, and gets to my sorta problem with Tarantino. Holy hell he needs to shut up sometimes. However, he tends to talk about things I find interesting, so I generally like it. (Watched Kill Bill 2 last night, hated that Bill talked about Superman). However, Mallick is a fucking preachy bastard, and I want to shove a sock in the mouths of his characters.

Team Klimt said:
In jazz terms think of those sequences like 10-minute solos. Some people are boing to be bored to tears, but if you have an understanding with the medium they are the best thing about the song. The same could be said here. Not everyone is going to "get" it, and that's fine.

Yeah, don't try that on me. I don't like the pretentiousness in jazz, either. I appreciate the technical aptitude you have to have to pull off a 10 minute solo, just like Mallick's cinematography, but its still gets to a point of masturbation.

ConfusingJazz said:
Yeah, don't try that on me. I don't like the pretentiousness in jazz, either. I appreciate the technical aptitude you have to have to pull off a 10 minute solo, just like Mallick's cinematography, but its still gets to a point of masturbation.

But masturbation is so awesome.

Serioulsy though, personally, I'd love nothing more than to sit and watch all 100 hours or wahtever of raw footage from this movie. Mallick never quite reaches that level of "masturbation" in my eyes, but to each his own. To take a gaming example, I could never get through more than 5 hours of any Final Fantasy or GTA game for that same reason. As a game developer I get that it's well made, polished, etc, but I just find them so damn boring and repititious. That's obvioulsy not the popular sentiment so I just kinda bow out of that argument.

East Lake

ConfusingJazz said:
However, Mallick is a fucking preachy bastard, and I want to shove a sock in the mouths of his characters.
I feel the same way, coming from someone who respects the environment it's quite an achievement to make these characters insufferable, but he pulled it off. Tree of Life is looking to turn into complete parody, not shocked at all it's semi-autobiographical. The narration in Days of Heaven and Badlands wasn't as bad though, maybe because they were simpler folk?

Antimatter said:
I feel the same way, coming from someone who respects the environment it's quite an achievement to make these characters insufferable, but he pulled it off. Tree of Life is looking to turn into complete parody, not shocked at all it's semi-autobiographical. The narration in Days of Heaven and Badlands wasn't as bad though, maybe because they were simpler folk?

Maybe it's because he is much older now than when he made Badlands and Days? He took a good 20+ years off before doing The Thin Red Line so I would have to chalk it up to that. Have you ever sat around an old dude and heard him blather? Jesus.

A side note - I love your avatar. Chungking Express is my favorite film and I hope that Wong Kar-Wai can keep his shit together as he gets older. I adore his films but can easily see him slipping into this debate for the same reasons as Mallick. I guess the same could really be said for any artist who puts so much of themselves into their work. Eventually the work becomes purely about them.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Spire said:
I bought the Criterion blu-ray of this a few weeks ago and enjoyed it. The only thing that bothered me was some of the casting. John Travolta is in one scene, is not very good, and the whole affair kind of pulls you out of the picture. I know Malick hadn't made a film in forever when this was cast and every swinging dick in Hollywood wanted in, but putting such recognizable faces in such menial roles doesn't really add anything. It's just distracting.

A lot of those "cameos" were full fledged characters with tons of lines and footage, and then it got edited out when Malick finally decided what he wanted in terms of story.

Also, TTRL is probably one of the Top 5 or 10 blu-rays in regards to visual and audio that I have seen.

WorriedCitizen said:
Maybe call it GAF Film Club because i wouldn't consider this a classic either. Still has some aging to do.

Something like The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia or Paths of Glory would have been more appropriate for a classic war related film.

TTRL is also a film that many people here have already seen. A wasted chance to encourage people to see something great that they haven't seen before.

The day Lawrence of Arabia releases on blu-ray, the day I can die a happy man. I cant even bring myself to watch a dvd version knowing how amazing the blu-ray will look.

Datwheezy said:
The day Lawrence of Arabia releases on blu-ray, the day I can die a happy man. I cant even bring myself to watch a dvd version knowing how amazing the blu-ray will look.

I recently went to a 70mm screening of Lawrence at the Egyptian in Hollywood and nearly passed out from excitement. So beautiful. If you are a film fan, LA is a wonderful place to live :)

Blader

jim-jam bongs said:
I love this movie. And people complaining about Calviezel's character quite spectacularly missed the point.

Or maybe they got the point and just didn't care for it? Or do you just think that the script is objectively perfect?

Blader5489 said:
Or maybe they got the point and just didn't care for it? Or do you just think that the script is objectively perfect?

The point is that the script doesn't matter. When you think of it in those terms you'll enjoy the film a lot more. You can't look at it like any other movie. It's not built to be viewed that way. It's a weird concept, but Mallick's films are more conceptual and less structured as a whole.

East Lake

Team Klimt said:
Maybe it's because he is much older now than when he made Badlands and Days? He took a good 20+ years off before doing The Thin Red Line so I would have to chalk it up to that. Have you ever sat around an old dude and heard him blather? Jesus.

A side note - I love your avatar. Chungking Express is my favorite film and I hope that Wong Kar-Wai can keep his shit together as he gets older. I adore his films but can easily see him slipping into this debate for the same reasons as Mallick. I guess the same could really be said for any artist who puts so much of themselves into their work. Eventually the work becomes purely about them.
I was thinking of going to a Fallen Angels one but I'm not sure yet, stay tuned! His aging would account for it, his intentions are in the right place I just think the execution is overwrought. Thankfully my grandparents are quiet people. :)

Blader

Team Klimt said:
The point is that the script doesn't matter. When you think of it in those terms you'll enjoy the film a lot more. You can't look at it like any other movie. It's not built to be viewed that way. It's a weird concept, but Mallick's films are more conceptual and less structured as a whole.

Bullshit. The script doesn't get discounted just because it's Malick. It's there, it's part of the film, and it's equally deserving of criticism of anything else you see and hear over the 3 hours. Visuals/imagery are not, and cannot be, everything. It's a movie, not a photography exhibit.

Blader5489 said:
Bullshit. The script doesn't get discounted just because it's Malick. It's there, it's part of the film, and it's equally deserving of criticism of anything else you see and hear over the 3 hours. Visuals/imagery are not, and cannot be, everything. It's a movie, not a photography exhibit.

Sure, I'm not gonna argue that. But at the same time the photography and editing are weighed more heavily (to Mallick at least) than compared to other filmmakers. You kinda do have to make an exception for him. You can't fairly compare it to any other movie because there isn't anything else really like it except for a few choice examples. Placing the whole of your criticism on the film's script and justifying that by saying it's just another "movie" is really devaluing the artistry that a lot of people (including me obviously) appreciate about the film. You fundamentally cannot compare his movies to others because they are made so differently. If any other director had shot Mallick's original script, the movie would in absolutely no way resemble the film we are debating right now.

If he was making The Thin Red Line for the studio (or for anyone other than himself) George Clooney and John Travolta would have been all over this thing. They weren't because the film is the singular vision of a singular artist and must be judged with that in mind. For the same reason you can't argue that the people in a Rockwell painting are rendered better than the people in a Picasso. First, it is just your subjective opinion, and second, Picasso just doesn't give a shit. Both are correct.

Or think about it this way: You wouldn't critique the script of a documentary the same way you would for a hollywood narrative would you? Again, it's kinda hard to think about The Thin Red Line that way, but Mallick pretty much works the same way as a documentarian: collect a shit ton of material and then make something up later. Endless scenes and lines of dialogue get shot for his movies and never see the light of day.

One thing that you are taught in film theory is that you should not rely on sound (and by extension dialogue) when you are making a film. A great scene should be able to get the same point across and carry the same weight with or without any sound. The reason I love Mallick so much is that he does this better than anyone else - to the point where he shoots the same scenes multiple times with actors saying the dialogue in one take and having them do the exact same actions in the next take without saying a single word. Think about how incredible that is!

You also have to consider that a lot of the long voice-overs are excerpts from the book the film is based on. Mallick will take a line or paragraph and make an artsy-fartsy photgraphic montage of images that fit the mood of the words. The overall narrative is rarely of the foremost importance in his post-Days of Heaven work.

Sorry, this might sound like pretentious bullshit but I kinda get defensive anytime somebody tries to knock Mallick and I love slipping back into film school-mode. Protect the herd!

JB1981

Really dislike this film, mostly for how Jim Caviezel's character is written.

Just watched this again and while I thought your comment was funny it's totally inaccurate. His character literally saves a bunch of men by advancing into enemy territory and acting as a diversion to buy the rest of his platoon time. He also hangs back with a mortally wounded man and comforts him in his last moments.

Moppeh

Banned
One man looks at a necro bump and thinks there's nothing but unanswered pain, that death's got the final word, it's laughing at him. Another man sees that same necro bump, feels the glory, feels something smiling through it.

JB1981

One man looks at a necro bump and thinks there's nothing but unanswered pain, that death's got the final word, it's laughing at him. Another man sees that same necro bump, feels the glory, feels something smiling through it.

How do you guys feel about Malick reshaping the movie to his whims in the editing room and having no loyalty to the screenplay. His movies are kinda formless and shapeless and just a series of impressions lacking conventional narrative structure.

Moppeh

Banned
How do you guys feel about Malick reshaping the movie to his whims in the editing room and having no loyalty to the screenplay. His movies are kinda formless and shapeless and just a series of impressions lacking conventional narrative structure.

I like his oneiric, formless style but it doesn't always work. It works incredibly well in the The Tree of Life but it fucking blows in THRL. There's a lot of cool and interesting scenes and elements in this film but Malick got in the way of it. This could be one of the greatest war movies ever but instead it is hours of misguided nonsense.

I understand why people like it though. It is incredible in many ways, the direction is just too loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom