• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump to end Obamacare Subsidies

OmegaFax

I'm not reacting well to this news. Seriously, contact your representatives. Reflects poorly on them when Trump steps in and dictates a horrible decision for them. Trump doesn't really know or understand Executive Orders.

Effect

Wouldn't this cause the insurance companies to come for his head. He's directly screwing with their money now. I can fully believe he's this stupid and evil.

Wouldn't this cause the insurance companies to come for his head. He's directly screwing with their money now.

I would love to see who does not come for his head. This is not how the Republicans in congress wanted to handle this. This is a man that is having a tantrum.

Wouldn't this cause the insurance companies to come for his head. He's directly screwing with their money now.

He has a single thought bouncing around his head at all times. "I hate Obama, I hate Obama, I hate Obama." It's all he hears, it's all he thinks about.

Because that's all he saw on Fox News for 8 years. The man is a moron.

Shauni

Is this actually an illegal move? I thought this was within the rights of the President to do, which is why so many were worried about him pulling this when all the repeal attempts failed.

Yeah, okay.

Wake me up when Democrats actually vote in the goddamn midterms. Until that time, I'm not going to underestimate the Republican spin machine.

Yeah, never in history has Democrats made gains in midterm elections. It's time to give up for good

ZpWx5QMF5D-6dPBfnZFs1rzlY9Y=.gif

chaos789

Banned
He has a single thought bouncing around his head at all times. "I hate Obama, I hate Obama, I hate Obama." It's all he hears, it's all he thinks about.

Because that's all he saw on Fox News for 8 years. The man is a moron.

I wish the Republicans would grow a spine and impeach his ass. He is unfit to be president. The man is threatening nuclear war and probably says to himself afterwards "I bet that improves my ratings."

Jobbs

Banned
Would be easy for dems to run on this if they knew how to message or run on anything. Since they don't, I fear people will largely just blame obamacare for this. "See? It failed"

zelas

per CBO: Trump ending subsidies increases premiums 20% by 2018 and 25% by 2020. Deficit goes up $6b by 2018 and $21b by 2020

LMAO. Looking forward to the backlash.

Guys this is good.

Let him own this. The Democrats will have a huge leverage on the Republicans now. 2018 is a lock. We can fix this with single payer, slowly but surely it’s coming.

Lock for what? Dem's taking control of the house or senate is still a longshot. Republicans in republican areas aren't voting for dems and there aren't enough purple areas to make up the difference.

Shauni

Lock for what? Dem's taking control of the house or senate is still a longshot. Republicans in republican areas aren't voting for dems and there aren't enough purple areas to make up the difference.

People keep parroting this. The Senate is a Longshot, yes, but the House isn't. There's only a 24 seat difference, and they actually won some seats last year despite everything O believe, and this is even with the crazy gerrymandering!

But eh, it doesn't matter. Everyone here has obviously given up hope already, so it doesn't matter

epmode

People keep parroting this. The Senate is a Longshot, yes, but the House isn't. There's only a 24 seat difference, and they actually won some seats last year despite everything O believe, and this is even with the crazy gerrymandering!

But eh, it doesn't matter. Everyone here has obviously given up hope already, so it doesn't matter

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of the fatalism around here.

Fuck every person who voted for Trump
Fuck every Republican, who have done nothing, but condone and helped his agenda
Fuck Trump and his entire administration

Josh7289

By the way Congress can pass legislation to fund the CSR subsidies again. In fact several Republicans have indicated that they’d be in favor of doing so, and of course all Democrats would be. Please please call your congresspeople to urge them to do this, especially if they’re Republican. I will be doing so as well.

By the way Congress can pass legislation to fund the CSR subsidies again. In fact several Republicans have indicated that they'd be in favor of doing so, and of course all Democrats would be. Please please call your congresspeople to urge them to do this, especially if they're Republican. I will be doing so as well.

Yeah, if there were ever going to be a positive out of this, it could/would be that Trump getting rid of EOs on the most positive Obama stuff (this, DREAMers) could force Congress to act to officially legislate these things so that they aren't at the whims of the executive branch. But you need to putting the pressure on Republicans to do so.

Maxim726X

Yeah, if there were ever going to be a positive out of this, it could/would be that Trump getting rid of EOs on the most positive Obama stuff (this, DREAMers) could force Congress to act to officially legislate these things so that they aren't at the whims of the executive branch. But you need to putting the pressure on Republicans to do so.

Do we know when it takes effect? This can, and likely will, be fought in court correct?

Wouldn't count on Congress doing a fucking thing, sadly. Donors are starting to get uppity about tax reform, so you better believe that's going to be their only focus for the foreseeable future.

ramuh

What was the status of those that sued saying they didn't have to pay the subsidy since it wasn't through congress? DId that fail/pass?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
GOP wouldn't kill it for him so he's doing the dirty work and will now hav to own it.

Maxim726X

How is he going to justify this after all his "make health care for everyone cheaper and better" shit?

'See? Obamacare is failing on its own... Just like I said it would!'

It remains to be seen if the Dems can convince people otherwise. I'm not sold.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Obama's legacy getting ripped to shreds with each executive order. Everything good he did is so easily dismantled i don't think he was as good a president as we all think he was.

What a fucking distaster.

RDreamer

How is he going to justify this after all his "make health care for everyone cheaper and better" shit?

Read the official statement. His justification is that these were illegal payments to prop up a broken healthcare system and congress hasn't done their promise to repeal and replace yet.

Yeah, I'm pretty tired of the fatalism around here.
How do we recover from this, yet another body blow? 10 months of this whack-a-doodle shit with little-to-no-restraint on the 45th?

I can barely afford the $263.56 insurance bill I pay every month. Now I get to look forward to it being over $325?! And with less coverage, I’m certain. I can’t even begin to imagine what those afflicted with a pre-existing condition are feeling.

We’re either going to be protesting in the streets or dying in them; I’m not so certain either are going to affect those in power. The Republicans have been up-righting this tentpole for a while. Large corporations can now donate to politicians through Super PACs and lobbyism is a HUGE industry. Until someone writes a really large check to the politicians, with the middle and lower class in mind, our days are numbered.

They’re expecting the Illinois Governor race to exceed the record of highest amount spent for a statewide office at $300,000,000!

So, as an actual question, what current filthy-rich or powerful politician really has the middle and lower income class’ back?

Not

Banned
Obama's legacy getting ripped to shreds with each executive order. Everything good he did is so easily dismantled i don't think he was as good a president as we all think he was.

What a fucking distaster.

It's being dismantled because every trace of decency is being annihilated from the American political system due to overwhelming racism. No President before Obama ever had to deal with anything close to this.

Shauni

How do we recover from this, yet another body blow? 10 months of this whack-a-doodle shit with little-to-no-restraint on the 45th?

I can barely afford the $263.56 insurance bill I pay every month. Now I get to look forward to it being over $325?! And with less coverage, I’m certain. I can’t even begin to imagine what those afflicted with a pre-existing condition are feeling.

We’re either going to be protesting in the streets or dying in them; I’m not so certain either are going to affect those in power. The Republicans have been up-righting this tentpole for a while. Large corporations can now donate to politicians through Super PACs and lobbyism is a HUGE industry. Until someone writes a really large check to the politicians, with the middle and lower class in mind, our days are numbered.

They’r expecting the Illinois Governor race to exceed the record of highest amount spent for a statewide office at $300,000,000!

So, as an actual question, what current filthy-rich or powerful politician really has the middle and lower income class’ back?

While the amount of dark money is definitely a huge issue in our politics, it's also not an automatic win, either. Clinton spent more than Trump on her campaign, for instance. An even more recent example is the Alabama special election where Strange had way more money than Moore did

He's punishing his direct base including Republican governors who know this is political suicide for them and who fucking strangle their representatives for allowing this to happen. Also, good luck with that tax reform GOP your leader just blew it up.

Zolo

While the amount of dark money is definitely a huge issue in our politics, it's also not an automatic win, either. Clinton spent more than Trump on her campaign, for instance. An even more recent example is the Alabama special election where Strange had way more money than Moore did

Pretty much. You basically need enough money to make sure to get your name out there and what you stand for.

Do we know when it takes effect? This can, and likely will, be fought in court correct?

Wouldn't count on Congress doing a fucking thing, sadly. Donors are starting to get uppity about tax reform, so you better believe that's going to be their only focus for the foreseeable future.

I believe that 2018 rates are already locked in, so any increase in premiums doesn't take effect until next year, but I don't know what happens to the people actually trying to buy insurance with the help of the subsidies before then.

Top Bottom