• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beware if you're purchasing the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller for the d-pad

Decider

Also on a side note this has to be Nintendo's worst console launch quality wise in my opinion because I don't remember people having this much issues with Wii,Wii U,DS/3DS (Except the hinges) or GameCube at launch.

The Famicom had an early recall due to a hardware fault and N64 power supplies were recalled and replaced in the UK because some of them started falling apart.

Funny how nobody seems to remember this stuff in the long run.

Just tried this on both of my pro controllers. No problems whatsoever, no matter how fast or sloppy I press the D-Pad, I always get the input I want.

regarding the dpad stiffness:
Mine was stiff too at the beginning but got incredibly smooth (SNES dpad smooth) after a short amount of time.

Spinifex

Hmm, this has happened to me a couple of times but I thought I was just using it wrong, it happens in the heat the moment frantically switching weapons.

jackal27

Banned
It is most definitely the worst Dpad Nintendo has ever produced. I am very disappointed with it. It's insanely squishy, it has almost zero pivot in the center, and it messes your directions all the time.

Why could we just have a 3DS one Nintendo? Especially with that premium price? I expect much better. Shit.

CO_Andy

It is most definitely the worst Dpad Nintendo has ever produced.

I'm going to say the exact opposite and say it is the greatest dpad Nintendo has ever made. For people who play fighting games it went beyond my expectations cuz i'm pulling complex motions like Zangief's SPD in SF2 with 100% accuracy (not an easy task when older entries had far, far less input leniency).

However, i can understand the stiffness of the dpad makes it nowhere near as comfortable as previous Nintendo dpads, so it'll be annoying to use outside of every other genre besides fighting games.

tl;dr precision over comfort

Malus

i dont even know why people need this pro controller. the joycons work great

I'm considering a pro controller for the button placement, better ergonomics and bigger sticks.

The Famicom had an early recall due to a hardware fault and N64 power supplies were recalled and replaced in the UK because some of them started falling apart.

Also for as many complaints I have about the Switch, at least it hasn't crashed on me yet like the Wii U did multiple times in its first few months.

Mistle

Mine has this sadly. It happens if you press the right dpad stick in an upwards direction... if that makes sense. You have to rock the stick literally to the right for it to register.

Long playtimes with the joycons give me hand claw cramps. The Analog sticks and buttons are placed more comfortably with the pro controller.
For me it is not a question of "do. I need the pro", it is a question of "how much am I willing to pay for gaming comfort".

k91191

I made a post two weeks ago in response to my issues with the Switch Pro Controller. Anyone having L3 issues?

I've have two issues with my Switch Pro controller.

When I hold down on the d-pad, the whole d-pad suppresses to the right side, so often, d-down triggers d-right.

The other issue is that L3 and R3 (control stick pushes) seem too sensitive. I often find myself accidently crouching a lot during combat in Breath of The Wild. My Wii U Pro Controller needs more pressure to click than the Switch Pro Controller.

I very much prefer the Wii U Pro Controller.

Eusis

This is another one of those things people will try to blow up when very few actually have the problem. I've had my hands on multiple Pro Controllers (local multiplayer) with no issues.
I think it's more a reason to wait until stock is stable. Maybe there'll be sales that way too, but it'd let them hopefully iron issues, or at least make exchanges smoother.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I really love my Pro Controller, but I avoid using the d-pad on it while playing Shovel Knight because something felt off when I used it for extended periods of time (and not just for quick button presses). I guess I'm not the only one who's had issues.

EDIT: Just watched the first video in the OP. Wow, mine is nothing like that. Mine always does exactly what I'm telling it to do when I quickly tap a direction like in Zelda. It only gets inconsistent when I hold a direction for a while, which has me half-convinced that I just don't know how to properly use a d-pad.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Yeah I'm going to call Nintendo to send mine in. It happened a ton when I tried to Switch weapons in BotW bringing up the Runes menu instead of weapons.

Cuburt

I think the videos in the OP confuse several issues since the first video isn't going to happen to everyone (since it seems like pressing the D-pad even activates the screenshot and home button).

I have had a few moments where I've pressed the D-pad and it responds with another direction, and while I can't pinpoint what causes it, my guess is that occasionally you can press off-center on a direction and due to the travel of the d-pad (which seems farther than most Nintendo d-pads) it can start pushing as a diagonal and register as the secondary direction instead. It's nowhere close to as mushy as a 360 d-pad, but it's not just like most Nintendo d-pads.

That being said, if you want the d-pad on the Pro Controller because you want to rock your thumb back and forth, it should be good. I've had very little problems with mine but with rocking my thumb or playing any game using diagonals, a Pro Controller is better. If you want the clicky digital feeling, you'll probably feel disappointed (although I can't remember the last Nintendo d-pad that was super clicky outside the DSi and the original DS), but I'd say it's about on par with the Wii U Pro Controller and the Wii Classic Controller, if slightly more mushy. Mushy isn't even the right word with the Switch Pro Controller, because it's more the travel is farther and there is almost a lack of mushiness that makes it easier to press off-center. That being said, after testing it some more right now, it's hard to replicate the issue. Maybe it's a firmware issue or something or maybe it's just easier to press it weird in the heat of gameplay.

The Joycon d-buttons actually work pretty well for how clicky they are, but if you are playing any game that needs to press diagonal or that you'd rock your thumb, a Pro controller will probably feel better, but for any game you are just pressing L/R/D/U it's actually pretty good.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Doesn't have a d-pad

The joycons in the joycon grip, well the grip configuration itself, feels quite uncomfortable in my hands (it is a bit too small and the placement of the analog stick feels worse in this configuration too) and I do not have huge hands either.

Also, the Pro controller has much better analog sticks in general.

nubbe

Mine is fine
But as with everything... production variations

Switch Pro dpad is way better than the WiiU Pro dpad

I have a Pro controller and can confirm that I've had the d-pad issue.

Since I'm only playing Zelda, I've noticed it when trying to quick-select a weapon only to get the rune select instead. This happened a lot the first days I used it but hasn't in about a week.

Other issue is that my Pro controller will sometimes lose sync when activating a Zelda Amiibo. Happens once every couple days. Haven't narrowed down which specific Amiibo does it, as several have the problem.

The camera will drift and the entire controller becomes unresponsive. I have to sleep the system, switch to the joycons, get back in the game, and switch back to the Pro.

Kinda troubling.

Mine on occasion does this. Only time it was a nuisance is when Link accidentally whistles when I'm trying to sneak up on an enemy while switching weapons.

sirap

Really hope Brooks or CronusMAX comes out with a way to use the Elite Controller/Dualshock on the Switch. I have the Pro Controller but it just doesn't feel right in my hands.

TheProphet
(Yesterday, 10:42 PM)

That kind of explains the driveby.

The Famicom recall 1) applied to no one outside of Japan, and 2) was taken care of rather quickly.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

I'm only using the joycons currently, but my hands get uncomfortable after longer sessions of Zelda. Plus there was that disconnect issue. Many people have been recommending the Pro controller as an off-the-shelf solution to both of these, if experienced.

HyperHip

Yup don't know if it's defected or not but brought it up twice in both the neo geo and switch pro threads. Its a pain in the ass and I'm pretty much betting on Hori pad or stick now.

jiggles

Banned
Same issue here, but I'm still hoping it's just some "factory stiffness" that will sort itself out as the controller gets broken in and the dpad loosens up.

teeny

I don't have a Switch yet, but I bought a pro controller to use with emulation. The d-pad felt a bit off at first but with relatively frequent use, it "settled" and feels as good as any other, if not better. I have not experienced this issue.

Hasney

Yup don't know if it's defected or not but brought it up twice in both the neo geo and switch pro threads. Its a pain in the ass and I'm pretty much betting on Hori pad or stick now.

Contact Nintendo, its not happening to everyone so something must be wrong. There's no need to bet on those controllers when you could be unlucky and get a defective one of those too, like with any tech.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The biggest issue with the joycon is that the right stick is in a horrible spot, it needed to be above the buttons, or further to the left * impossible *

Pro controller feels way better and less cramped.

Haven't had issues with my dpad

My Switch and everything Switch related have worked 100% since buying it; and I've used it literally every day but 2 over the last 3 weeks. No issues with any joycons, no scratching of the screen, no issues with kickstands, no hard locks, no problems with dpads on a pro controller. No issues what-so-ever.

Deepo

My Pro controller dpad works fine in Zelda, but I've run into the issue playing Shovel Knight. I actually prefer the 4 button "Dpad" on the Joy Cons for this game due to this.

Is there actually anything to indicate that this is even worth mentioning outside of acknowledging production runs are never 100% perfect?

There are five different links reporting the issue in the OP. That would be more than enough for Wikipedia; what more do you want, a peer reviewed study before creating a thread in a forum?

unrealist

Everything about the Switch seems to be a failure huh.. glad mine is working since day one. I must be one of the rare ones then. If I purely read GAF and its Nintendo threads, I will think the Switch is some sort of scam and doomsday device.

deleted

No problems with mine (yet) - hope it stays that way, I really love this controller. It's the best they put out since the GCN days.

Top Bottom