• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PGR5 speculation thread Lucid dreams with Rare side effects?

saladine1

Damn, a lot of work in this thread!

MS are tight-lipped bastards. I'm surprised nothing has leaked yet regarding PGR.

Anyway, would be awesome to see PGR5 as a Durango launch title then FM5 a year later.

PGR has always set the standard for visuals so i'm expecting no different here. Can't wait to find out more...

amardilo

Great work on the OP Odd One. So excited for this!

Rumors floating around are saying the game is looking very very pretty.

I'd really like to know the frame rate. Arcade racers can be OK at 30 frames per second and PGR games have still felt good at 30 but I would love to be able to play a PGR game that runs at 60 frames per second and still has the cool features of a PGR game.

jcBktM3ZA9EKO.png

Rare, Turn 10 and Playground? :IWantToBelieve:

When he says 'three other developers' he's almost certainly talking about people rather than companies.

abadguy

Banned
Hoping PGR5 s one of the games shown at MS conference in April. One of my all time favorite racing series along with NFS, and Burnout.( pre Paradise)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So how many people are working at Rare currently? Is it feasible that they could have two next-gen projects in full swing at once? Possibly even both ready for launch? Would the collaboration with Playground/Lucid help facilitate that better?

I really believe MS would have Rare on hand to deliver a new IP for launch to push the console, but I also believe all this evidence points towards the existence of a PGR5 largely developed at Rare.

TheOddOne

So how many people are working at Rare currently? Is it feasible that they could have two next-gen projects in full swing at once? Possibly even both ready for launch? Would the collaboration with Playground/Lucid help facilitate that better?

I really believe MS would have Rare on hand to deliver a new IP for launch to push the console, but I also believe all this evidence points towards the existence of a PGR5 largely developed at Rare.
Rare is about +/- 150 people now, lot's of new faces. Their new manager (Ex-Sega) has been known to work with multiple external developers.

Mascot

If MS launch with Forza 5 and PGR5, they are going to butcher their own sales :/

BADNED's hinted often enough that FM5 won't make the 720's launch. PGR5* would be the perfect filler.

*@60fps, natch.

Quick roll call for ex Bizarre forumites? Present!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
BADNED's hinted often enough that FM5 won't make the 720's launch. PGR5* would be the perfect filler.

*@60fps, natch.

Quick roll call for ex Bizarre forumites? Present!
Reporting for duty!

...did you just say BADNED has been hinting at PGR5 being at 60fps or am I just failing at deciphering that crazy Brit lingo of yours?

Mascot

Reporting for duty!

...did you just say BADNED has been hinting at PGR5 being at 60fps or am I just failing at deciphering that crazy Brit lingo of yours?

Sorry old chap - the 60fps thing was just a personal desire IF PGR5 gets made.

If there's a PGR game for the launch of the next Xbox and it looks sick, i might consider buying an Xbox. I remember spending hours and hours playing PGR 3 and 4, good times ! The games are fun, some of the best exclusives MS has imo.

I still think the graphics, especially in PGR4, in some parts are unmatched by the competition. It looks that good.

Shaneus

FWIW, I'm still confident that Rare is doing *some* kind of work on a PGR game, despite the talk in this thread. As TheOddOne mentioned in the OP, Rare hired this dude in January:
(I'm sure he doesn't mind having his name mentioned... after all, it became pretty well known once he did the Farewell Bizarre Creations video)
He also did a lot of the promotional and in-game (ie. intro) videos for Blood Stone, Blur, PGR3 and 4 as well as some work for Sumo post-Bizarre. I doubt he would've been brought in to do something Kinect Sports (or whatever) related considering all the Codies hiring Rare has been doing.

But OP, we already have PGR5:

Drive-Club.jpg

>:3

I have absolutely no idea where people get the impression from that this game will resemble PGR. The PS4 trailer didn't even reveal urban areas. Oh well, I guess it makes PS fans happy that Bizzares lead designer is working there, that must make it a PGR game.

What other exclusive titles are rumored for the launch line up besides PGR5?

Kinect Sports 3.

Nah, we know precious little about what other exclusive titles will be at launch.

A water based racer from RARE might be at launch, a new FPS set in space from Black Tusk might be at launch, but will probably be launch window.

davious88

Banned
I have absolutely no idea where people get the impression from that this game will resemble PGR. The PS4 trailer didn't even reveal urban areas. Oh well, I guess it makes PS fans happy that Bizzares lead designer is working there, that must make it a PGR game.

You said it

The new Xbox launch line up looks fucking scary if the rumours and leaked info all lines up.

Yup - Skype, DVR, Kinnect - I'm scared of it's line-up too
:D

Kinect Sports 3.

Nah, we know precious little about what other exclusive titles will be at launch.

A water based racer from RARE might be at launch, a new FPS set in space from Black Tusk might be at launch, but will probably be launch window.

Kinect Sports 3 might be there but that would be a Big Park game now rather than Rare

Something new from Lionhead and whatever the "Chief Samurai" project is from Rare (Heard it described as a Zelda/Okami style adventure from the creator of Banjo) is may be on the cards. Though MS is keeping its cards very close to its chest so far on what their games will be so it's hard to tell what they will go with till the launch event.

DVR was confirmed? When?

Kinect Sports 3 might be there but that would be a Big Park game now rather than Rare

Something new from Lionhead and whatever the "Chief Samurai" project is from Rare (Heard it described as a Zelda/Okami style adventure from the creator of Banjo) is may be on the cards. Though MS is keeping its cards very close to its chest so far on what their games will be so it's hard to tell what they will go with till the launch event.

First I'm hearing of this.

abadguy

Banned

Wait...what?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Welcome back Shaneus!

What other exclusive titles are rumored for the launch line up besides PGR5?
Alan Wake 2, Chief Samurai, possible Halo quota for the year, Kinect Sports 3. Those are the most likely, then there's stuff like Crytek's project, the Gears Kinect title that's been reportedly moved to next gen, etc.

I know Chief Samurai was rumoured but where did you hear about the bolded?

I want a game like this.

Bgamer90

Banned
PGR5, Forza 5, a Rare Hydro Thunder-like racing game, and a game that's a mix of Okami and Zelda all as possible early games on the Next Xbox?

tumblr_mehf47l8cq1r1krkbo1_400.gif

Can't wait to see what gaming announcements will be made.

AntMurda

I have to admit, I am excited about this potential PGR5, but Drive Club is also out there. Should be interesting. Should be an interesting battle of sporty arcade classy Euro racers headlining each system.

m23

PGR5, Forza 5, a Rare Hydro Thunder-like racing game, and a game that's a mix of Okami and Zelda all as possible early games on the Next Xbox?

There is no way Microsoft would release PGR5 and Forza 5 in the same year.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

I though the Rare Hydro Thunder rumour was debunked?

If not, holy fuck Rare is working on so many awesome games at once.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
any chance the rare water based racer and the physics based kinect title are one in the same? i might look goofy doing it - but i imagine a wave race game with an improved kinect could be a blast
just include standard controller options as well, thanks

Leflus

Guys. Don't get too excited by the Chief Samurai rumour. It originates from Dual Pixels.

It's probably fake.

shinnn

Did wonders for PGR4 sales.

And they won't make that mistake again.

If they will indeed revive PGR, they will have Forza Motorsport, Forza Horizon and PGR. Sticking with FM 2-year cycle, makes more sense releasing it with PGR than another Forza.

It was not the best idea in 2007 (mostly because of Halo 3 than FM2 imo), but in the launch, having one arcade racing and one simulator should be a good idea for the european market.

Or PGR5 in the launch and Forza 5 in mid 2014.

Shaneus

Yeah, there's a reason that PGR has been used to launch both Xboxes and I think it's worked for MS quite well. Something that's quasi-realistic but still accessible enough for a Top Gear-minded audience to get into without being overly technical. PGR (and more recently NFS, but overdone with the nitro/spikes etc. IMO) is the only series to really do it well. It'd be stupid of them to try and launch a console with an FM game.

Release it with PGR5, give it a year when the initial excitement has died down, then hit everyone with next-gen FM5, blow everyone away (and beat Sony to the punch when GT6 is inevitably announced as a 2015 title). I'm thinking that Drive Club (tm) is Sony's effort to follow on with that sort of thinking but doubt they could push GT out quickly enough after it to keep the momentum rolling.

m23

Yeah, there's a reason that PGR has been used to launch both Xboxes and I think it's worked for MS quite well. Something that's quasi-realistic but still accessible enough for a Top Gear-minded audience to get into without being overly technical. PGR (and more recently NFS, but overdone with the nitro/spikes etc. IMO) is the only series to really do it well. It'd be stupid of them to try and launch a console with an FM game.

Release it with PGR5, give it a year when the initial excitement has died down, then hit everyone with next-gen FM5, blow everyone away (and beat Sony to the punch when GT6 is inevitably announced as a 2015 title). I'm thinking that Drive Club (tm) is Sony's effort to follow on with that sort of thinking but doubt they could push GT out quickly enough after it to keep the momentum rolling.

That's what I'm thinking may happen. Use next xbox launch to reintroduce PGR, next year use larger install base to sell Forza and go up against GT6, if its ready by then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I want this to be real, PGR3&4 are the only games stopping me selling my 360. IMO no arcadey-sim game has yet matched its feel. If they announce PGR5 I'll happily sell it for a deposit on durango

Top Bottom