• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geostorm Review Thread

The really bizarre thing is that you completely forget Gerard Butler is in the movie most of the time, there are lengthy sequences where he just isn't there and when he is on screen usually he is just grunting or in a space suit or something so you forget about him.

The star of the movie are the computer screens that show red circles to mean something bad is happening and timers to indicate how long until the next bad thing happens.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to see this! Hopefully will see it Monday.

nkarafo

GEOSTORM is, if nothing else, the greatest movie title of the decade.

Thumb_Geostorm_-_1994_-_Irem.jpg

Arcade game known as Gunforce 2 in US.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
This movie is pure Alt Right's wet dream o_O

Why? The beginning alone should trigger most conservatives.
Now if you were talking about Olympus Has Fallen/London Has Fallen then you'd be right.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/10/20/16510484/geostorm-review-4dx
It's not a crime for a movie to be boring. Boredom can be a rare and precious gift in a culture of distraction. We should all be bored more often.

But the level of boredom I experienced during Geostorm ought to qualify as at least a second-degree felony in the state of New York. Consider the title of the movie. Consider its central conceit, which is that the whole entire world will experience a massive ”weather event" at once. Consider also that I saw it in one of the nine theaters nationwide projecting the film in ”4DX," which means my chair bucked around while lights flashed, the lumbar support occasionally punched me from behind, and the seat in front of me sprayed what the theater calls ”face water" at me during key moments.
Rating: ½ out of 5

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/20/geostorm-review
Brazenly corny and watchably stupid, Dean Devlin's Geostorm only manages to transcend its palpable sense of banality through the sheer force of its own unashamed silliness. Not only are the stakes ratcheted up to gloriously fatuous levels – all the storms on Earth are set to interlock into a worldwide, extinction-level cataclysm – but the emotional payoffs are so smackingly obvious that one is almost moved to a sense of bemused awe.
Rating: 6.5 out of 10

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/geostorm-review-gerard-butler-plays-ameteorologist-appalling/
In The Day After Tomorrow, there was no arguing with climate change: when a modern-day ice age blew in, accompanied by catastrophic flash floods and typhoons, all its protagonists could do was take cover, light fires, and hope.

Geostorm plays things a little differently. In Dean Devlin's film, which stars Gerard Butler as the world's leading meteorologist, when the weather misbehaves, you bomb the weather into submission.
Rating: 1 out of 5

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/geostorm/review/
So, here it is, finally sneaking into cinemas after more delays than Southern trains. Almost exactly a year to the day after originally scheduled; almost three years after shooting began, thanks to reports of extensive reshoots; and accompanied by bad buzz and thousands of tweets of that gif where Michael Jackson is chomping expectantly on popcorn. Oh, and this movie about the worst storm in recorded history is arriving on the back of the worst storms in recorded history. That's the sort of bad timing that would win you a place in the middle order of the England cricket team.
Rating: 2 out of 5

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/geostorm
13%

Tankard

So, again, this film probably sucks a lot. I get it, but reading the reviews, if you are trying to make sense out of a catastrophe film story, i don't know what to tell you. It's like if a new Pokemon Go was released every year and reviewers always gave it a 2 because it's bad as a game.

Radec

Saw it last week. I was entertained. Effects are cool.

Guy from 21 is awful though.

Secret Service chick is smoking though.

JdFoX187

Banned
So, again, this film probably sucks a lot. I get it, but reading the reviews, if you are trying to make sense out of a catastrophe film story, i don't know what to tell you. It's like if a new Pokemon Go was released every year and reviewers always gave it a 2 because it's bad as a game.

This is one of those movies where it seems reviewers try to one-up each other to see who can write the most ridiculous put-downs. It's not a good movie by any stretch of the imagination. But this isn't even the worst movie I've seen this year.

shaneo632

I have a pal who saw it with me who spent the next hour nitpicking the entire movie's science. I mean, I get that it's fun to rip the movie apart, but he was talking like the screenwriters were actually trying to be accurate and failed. I'm pretty sure they know that the superheated storm should've melted the tires of every car in Hong Kong.

It was weirdly smug and missing the point I feel (that these films are basically divorced from our reality and its excuse for science is basically "magic").

Then again this guy picks apart my jokes if they're not 100% literal so maybe it was the wrong movie to invite him to :X

EDIT: Also just looked at my 2017 movie spreadsheet. Here are all the films this year I've rated lower than Geostorm:

Song to Song
Naked
Arsenal
Sandy Wexler
Unlocked
Rings
Batman and Harley Quinn
Book of Henry, The
Snowman, The
Marine 5: Battleground, The
Unforgettable
Layover, The
Kidnap
Inconceivable
Emoji Movie, The
Fifty Shades Darker

Bookoo

Pretty cliche and predictable action movie. Movie Pass and nothing better to do is the only reason I decided to see it.

Did the younger brothers hair stand out to anyone else? Most of the time he was on screen I just noticed how bad it looked.

Top Bottom