• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that were ahead of their time.

RRockman

Banned
Freakin SERIOUSLY? No mention of

Phantasy_Star_Online.PNG

I am dissapoint

Zenner

I'd consider Myst as being ahead of its time.

At the time, very few people had a CD-ROM drive in their PC; to play it, you had to purchase the new hardware to go with it. It's a big gamble, releasing a game that the majority of computer owners couldn't play.

Whales

Banned
Id say Chrono Trigger

You can play it for the first time today and find its still one of the best RPGs ever and it holds up really well

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Halo 3 - 4 player co-op, recording matches, stunning stuff

Legit was there a game that did Recording gamplay as well as Halo 3 prior to Halo 3.
It would completely rerender the gameplay sections so you could move the camera around to whatever location and sht.

First time i messed around wth theater mode i sat and had a ponder "i will never be this impressed by a game again".

kosmologi

Halo 3.

Not because of gameplay or story or graphics, but rather because it was the "full package" of Campaign, online and split screen Co-op in all modes, Multiplayer, Map editor, Theater mode, and mature community features.

edit: looks like it was already mentioned.

Now the thing about Star Fox Adventures is that the elements in the game were always right to begin with. With the whole Krazoa Shrine concept. I mean, just look at Breath of the Wild having shrines too. People say that Star Fox Adventures is a "Zelda" clone, which to me isn't true at all... but what does that make Breath of the Wild?

I'd say BotW and SFA are sort of on the opposite ends of the corridor-design spectrum.

Speaking of Rare titles, Perfect Dark might be a candidate. Then again, it's variety of features weren't so much "ahead of its time", since they were uncommon before and after its release.

HeeHo

Star Ocean 3 with their in-game trophies.

It has been the only game with in game achievements that feels as satisfying as the real deal to me.

Maximus P

The arcade game Time traveler from the early 90s

fqndgtz_d.jpg

It was truly terrible, but I really hoped that games with the holographic effect would take off later and they never did. Was potential there.

JusDoIt

Darkstalkers. Pioneered lots of elements that fighting games take for granted today, like dashing, EX moves, and an in-depth combo system. The animations were incredibly fluid too. All this, and there hasn't been a new game this side of 2000.

Easily the third most influential fighting game of all time, following only SFII and Virtua Fighter.

Tawpgun

While Halo 3 was definitely ahead of its time I'd say Halo 2 was more revolutionary.

The entire Online infrastructure of Halo 2 was the basis of the Xbox's online platform. It had built in game invites, built in clan/friends list, built in messages. The matchmaking and party system (virtual couch) was literally the groundwork for lobby systems in MP games to come and to this day.

I remember games coming out in the Xbox 360 era that didn't use the Halo 2 lobby system and they felt so archaic. Gears 1 comes to mind. I remember being upset Gears 1 online infrastructure was worse than 2004's Halo 2. Hell, there are games today that have worse party/lobby systems than Halo 2.

Battleborn is way ahead of it's time in regards to it's genre.

Nobody else has really tried an FPS/MOBA hybrid the way that BB is put together and it's a shame because it's a 10/10 game that has become unanimously known as "the game worse than Superman 64, Big Rigs and Bubsy 3d all combined" because of who made it not how well the game actually plays. I really wish people had judged the game based on merit rather than hating it because Gearbox/Randy Pitchford were involved.

I know for sure that the genre will be back somewhere down the line and only then will people try Battleborn for the first time and realize how well designed/ahead of it's time it was.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
That Rockstart game on the N64. It was an open world-ish game that barley ran on the system iirc. I feel like you could directly link that game to GTA III.
I just can't remember the name...

El Topo

Outcast. Open world 3rd/1st person shooter with quests, great AI, an interesting HUD/interaction design, fully orchestral OST and (in)famously a Voxel engine. Revolutionary, ahead of its time, often overlooked.

Laiza

Crysis is THE example of this in my eyes. Hell, to this day we don't have a single FPS with its level of possibility within the combat. Even the sequels pale in comparison.

It deserves far more recognition than it's gotten for what it accomplished at the time.

System Shock 2

I have been beaten, I see.

System Shock 2 was ahead of its time in its respect of the player: It only took control from you two or three times in the entire game (the ending cutscene included), and you could interact with practically anything in the environment: pick up and toss mugs, fill your inventory with magazines,flush toilets, change what's on the displays scattered throughout the Von Braun, etc.

It also had three distinct career paths, all of which changed your playstyle drastically: marine path lets you focus on conventional guns, navy path lets you focus on hacking security systems, chests and turrets, OSA lets you use psionics (the progenitor of Bioshock's Plasmids, think of them as sci-fi magic). Oh, you get 97% of the story from audio logs and text scattered around the station, by the way. One of the first games to do that (right after the first System Shock).

It's grossly underappreciated. It's basically a perfect 20-hour RPG FPS (or, as I like to refer to the genre, immersive sim).

Top Bottom