• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadows of Chernobyl is 10 years old today

Dries

Stalker has a reverse difficulty curve. Your weapons in the beginning are complete shit and you are wearing a brown paper bag for armor. Rather than trying to mod this out you should be focusing on getting a better weapon. Until then, always hold crouch + walk before firing to maximize your accuracy. I felt your pain when I first started playing this, but it doesn't take long to get a weapon that isn't crap. Also play on Master difficulty if you are finding the enemies to be a bit bullet spongy. I'd recommend either just ZRP for your first playthrough or Stalker Starter Pack which includes ZRP for a vanilla experience with improved graphics. Stalker still has a very active mod community and Complete is really outdated and makes needless changes to the gameplay.

The reason I chose "Complete" is because I wanted the full graphical enhancement that mod brings to the table. For the graphics whore inside me, it's very important that I get the game looking at it's absolute best and I was under the impression that the "Complete" mod was the best and only way to accomplish this. Is this assumption correct or am I mistaken in this? The fact that this mod fixes bugs and other issues gave me only more reason to go the "Complete" way above trying any other mods.

So are you saying that "Complete" fucks up the accuracy/RNG aspect of the shooting mechanics? At the end of the day all I want is to play Stalker with the best graphics AND entirely remove the RNG aspect of the shooting. My fear is that by NOT choosing "Complete" I'll be missing out on graphical enhancements. Maybe someone could shed some light on this.

I'm already playing on Master by the way. I was hoping to create a more realistic experience where one or two bullets are already lethal, but the RNG stuff is so stupid. I don't want this to be fucking Alpha Protocol lol.

The reason I chose "Complete" is because I wanted the full graphical enhancement that mod brings to the table. For the graphics whore inside me, it's very important that I get the game looking at it's absolute best and I was under the impression that the "Complete" mod was the best and only way to accomplish this. Is this assumption correct or am I mistaken in this? The fact that this mod fixes bugs and other issues gave me only more reason to go the "Complete" way above trying any other mods.

So are you saying that "Complete" fucks up the accuracy/RNG aspect of the shooting mechanics? At the end of the day all I want is to play Stalker with the best graphics AND entirely remove the RNG aspect of the shooting. My fear is that by NOT choosing "Complete" I'll be missing out on graphical enhancements. Maybe someone could shed some light on this.

I'm already playing on Master by the way. I was hoping to create a more realistic experience where one or two bullets are already lethal, but the RNG stuff is so stupid. I don't want this to be fucking Alpha Protocol lol.

The Starter Pack will get the vanilla game looking the best. It combines the best graphical mods so you get photo realistic textures, better weapon models, weather, shaders. Complete gets recommended a ton because at the time it was the best way to improve the look of the game, but that was 2009 and modders have taken it further. As for the shooting, once you get weapons like the MP5 or rifles the bullets will start to go where you want them, and it really won't take that long to get to that point. Once you do get one of those guns, you can change the rate of fire to single shot to conserve ammo and really make better shots.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I tried getting into Call of Pripyat, but I didn't really understand how to deal with the invisible shit that could attack me.

Is Shadow of Chernobyl the same?

I should revisit it with mods and read up on the game, because I felt pretty lost.

Echoplx

Complete is outdated, it uses an old version of ZRP and outdated shaders/graphics mods and can't be updated, just use this.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/starter-pack

Nordicus

I tried getting into Call of Pripyat, but I didn't really understand how to deal with the invisible shit that could attack me.

Is Shadow of Chernobyl the same?
You mean Emission events, which damage you when you are not under decent cover, or you mean Bloodsucker enemies that can cloak?

Shadow of Chernobyl has less of the quality-of-life features of the later games, but the map is slightly more linear and better paced.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You mean Emission events, which damage you when you are not under decent cover, or you mean Bloodsucker enemies that can cloak?

Shadow of Chernobyl has less of the quality-of-life features of the later games, but the map is slightly more linear and better paced.

It must be cloaked bloodsucker enemies. I didn't even know what it was. Just some invisible thing hurting me.

Miasma

Own all of them on steam, really wish I could find the time to play them. If I was to only play one which should it be?

Dries

The Starter Pack will get the vanilla game looking the best. It combines the best graphical mods so you get photo realistic textures, better weapon models, weather, shaders. Complete gets recommended a ton because at the time it was the best way to improve the look of the game, but that was 2009 and modders have taken it further. As for the shooting, once you get weapons like the MP5 or rifles the bullets will start to go where you want them, and it really won't take that long to get to that point. Once you do get one of those guns, you can change the rate of fire to single shot to conserve ammo and really make better shots.

Complete is outdated, it uses an old version of ZRP and outdated shaders/graphics mods and can't be updated, just use this.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/starter-pack

Where were you three days ago, my friends.

Seems like it's time for a re-install of the base game then. Luckily I wasn't very far (just got to the Garbage).

And just asking to be sure: the Starter Pack lets me tweak the ZRP stuff with the config tool so I can change the shooting mechanics anyway I want?

It must be cloaked bloodsucker enemies. I didn't even know what it was. Just some invisible thing hurting me.

Well, it probably was a bloodsucker then.

Half the battle is won if you know where it is first, so I always try to use binoculars often in areas I know they linger. And yes, they are the same in Chernobyl. It camouflages itself and when it gets up close it unmasks itself and strikes. It's more vulnerable when it is camouflaged, so 1-2 shots with a shotgun normally does it. Or you could use a knife when it gets up close.

But it really depends on the situation with these things. I just think more options will be available to you if you can spot the bastards first.

BigDes

Call of Pripyat you can get a fantastic assault rifle very easily within the first ten minutes of the game that will help you.

go to the dock area and in one of the small boats is a really good rifle for starting with

forms

Well, it probably was a bloodsucker then.

Half the battle is won if you know where it is first, so I always try to use binoculars often in areas I know they linger. And yes, they are the same in Chernobyl. It camouflages itself and when it gets up close it unmasks itself and strikes. It's more vulnerable when it is camouflaged, so 1-2 shots with a shotgun normally does it. Or you could use a knife when it gets up close.

But it really depends on the situation with these things. I just think more options will be available to you if you can spot the bastards first.

I have tried getting into the Stalker series several times, and I just quit due to these enemies every time. I just find it boring as hell, invisible magic space vampires in my Ukranian Mad Max scenario. :D

I have tried getting into the Stalker series several times, and I just quit due to these enemies every time. I just find it boring as hell, invisible magic space vampires in my Ukranian Mad Max scenario. :D

When you get used to em', it's not so bad. They kinda give themselves away, if they hear you first, by roaring before it cloaks. And then they start grunting when it runs towards you.

I don't believe them to be the most difficult mutant you encounter, honestly. Maybe at first, sure... but not the worst.

That's odd, there are only a few of them in the entire games and they are easy to avoid, deal with once you know were they are......

Atlas157

I only put two hours into this game. This thread convinced me to install it and play it.

Does the game have any jump scares in it though? I know there's this one part where an invisible thing attacks you underground, but that's about all I know.

I only put two hours into this game. This thread convinced me to install it and play it.

Does the game have any jump scares in it though? I know there's this one part where an invisible thing attacks you underground, but that's about all I know.

Bloodsucker. That's about it. A poltergeist might do it, but it depends on how you handle random floating objects being thrown at you!

Mupod

I remember being really turned off by the unmodded original game, then getting into it when I installed Oblivion Lost which I think was the big thing at the time...summer of 2008 I believe. I played a ridiculous amount, I loved just scavenging supplies and living in the world, enjoying the atmosphere. I know some people play open world games like that all the time but STALKER was very much a huge exception for me. It just pulled me right in.

I skipped Clear Sky, I think I picked it up on steam and never installed it...Call of Pripyat though, I played a ton of. At the time I was definitely ready for a STALKER 2 and couldn't have imagined that it'd never happen.

I see Breath of the Wild was brought up in here and it definitely hit some of the same notes for me. Especially in the parts where the survival aspect was focused on like that one island. The Wii U version running like dogshit and feeling pressed for time (a lot of games came out around then) prevented me from spending tons of hours with it though.

The new Metro 2033 reveal at E3 had me sitting forward in my chair going OH SHIT STALKER but I guess they aren't going full open world with that. They've always gotten the atmosphere down but the actual gameplay in the Metro games did nothing for me.

Nordicus

the game have any jump scares in it though? I know there's this one part where an invisible thing attacks you underground, but that's about all I know.
No jumpscares that aren't inherent part of the creature's behaviour, like the Bloodsucker invisibility.

Snorks jump at you, pseudodogs make doppelganger decoys in later games and controllers pull your camera at them during their psychic attack.

Zutrax

I finally re-downloaded this game today with the intent to actually finish it at some point.

I've started and stopped the game so many times in the past. I love the concept, I love the fair difficulty of the scavenger type gameplay, I love the atmosphere and creatures and the zone, but something always just keeps me from wanting to progress.

Every single time I tend to stop right around when you reach the main community hub area, something about the "alone in the zone" vibe gets kind of lost when I start getting people teaming up with me and have all these people around. It just loses my interest really quick once I reach that area. I'm hoping I can push past it this time and see everything the game has to offer.

Is there something similar for Clear Skies and Call of Pripiyat or is Complete still the best choice for those two games?

Like its been said here, Complete is not the best choice for anything at all, its a poor one. Clear Sky looks the best out of the box, you dont really need anything. But use the Absolute packs for both Clear Sky and Pripyat together with Arsenaul Overhaul.

http://absolute.crommcruac.com/call-of-pripyat/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sm1q0NYd8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADGzYZAy9ME

I wish this game would come out on consoles so I could play it.

I struggle to find a more impossible to play game with a gamepad than Stalker. Every molecule and feature in this game is throughly designed for M/Kb interaction. A proper PC game, god bless them, that really shows how the genre can shine when not diluted for couch playing.

Just fire the game up on a computer, you can absolutely play it.

Since the thread got revived a bit in particular concerning mods, I'll share what I've been personally recommending for years for first-time players.

To be clear, there is nothing wrong with the Complete series of mods for the various games, but they do alter the games in some areas such as gun handling, so it is not recommended if you want the closest vanilla experience for a first playthrough. If you don't mind that much, Complete is fine to use but it is outdated as far as I can tell, it's an old mod.

These are mods that don't change the vanilla experience much but improve graphics, because these games have a lot of mods of various scopes for them that offer a lot of replayability, you don't necessarily want to jump into mods that change the game up a lot on your first playthrough.

• How to prepare the game for modding. Link.
  • Cromm Cruac's Texture Packs: Absolute Nature and Absolute Structures. Link.
  • The Zone Reclamation Project (community bug fixes, MUST-HAVE). Link.
  • Shaders Max. Link.
  • Weather Overhauled. Link.
  • FoV Switcher (optional). Link.
Note concerning Shaders Max: If you get weird graphical glitches such as odd looking shadows in buildings it would be from Shaders Max, make sure you are using one of the shader presets from the mod (user.ltx) and not the default one the game generates or one from another mod. On Windows 10 it's located in C:\Users\Public\Documents\stalker-shoc). Put your chosen user.ltx preset there from Shaders Max. I don't have the mod available on my PC right now but I think the readme in it mentions this as well, always just read each mods instructions but it's all pretty much straightforward.

When you want to play Shadow of Chernobyl again, there's these mods I recommend too (they're much bigger and combine the above mods as well). They are for Shadow of Chernobyl b Call of Pripyat and Clear Skies has its own set of mods like unique to each game like MISERY.

• Autumn Aurora 2. This is my favourite mod overhaul for the game. It's a beautiful and melancholic autumn overhaul of the game's world and includes a port of the AtmosFear mod for Call of Pripyat by Cromm Cruac to Shadow of Chernobyl. It's a brand new look for the game and was also featured on PCGamer. Link
  • L.U.R.K.
  • O.G.S.E. - Old Good S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Evolution.
  • STALKERSOUP.
  • Zone of Alienation.
  • NLC 6/7.
There is also a huge mod project called Call of Chernobyl that has combined all 3 games into one, as well as restoring lost/not fully implemented content and maps by the devs. It's a whole new standalone game using a re-implemented XRay engine.
You need to have one of the games installed to prove you own it but it doesn't actually use the game (again, standalone). The point of it is that it's a huge base game now for mods to add onto Call of Chernobyl, it's a huge free-play experience and for modders to script and make more stories/missions/etc since it combines the entire zone across all the games. There's many mods for the mod in itself already. Trailer and official page. (you can find more mods for it on the addons section)

On a side note, personally I like how the vanilla gun system works in the games because this has always been a sort of FPS-RPG, and I also like the degradation system because it's not annoying like other games, it fits into the narrative and story. To add onto this, mods extend existing functionality of this system that the devs never "turned on" but did implement. For example, various mods re-enable parts of the A-Life system so that NPCs loot other NPCs, so that loot is persistent among the NPCs in the world. The reason is because the A-Life system already simulates all NPCs in the game even if you are nowhere near them - that is why you can come across a lot of interest things in the game when journeying around, if a NPC picks up a great condition weapon from another NPC they killed, uses it, then dies and you come across their corpse, that is the same persistent weapon that has been through two NPCs hands.

Again this is The Zone, not every weapon or armor is going to be 100% condition, but this doesn't mean they don't exist - they do, but they are rare, and if you manage to find one it's great but it will degrade over time too but not at a stupid level that makes it annoying. Guns have stats to begin with, and the level of condition further influences these stats, so a gun with 10% condition is going to have a negative influence on the accuracy regardless even if the base accuracy stat of the gun is good. The game also models things like bullet drop and ricochet too which plays a role which upon the release of the game in 2008 not a lot of FPS games had. A low condition weapon adds a lot of tense moments to gameplay when it may jam as well that a lot of players can attest to, but it's never been annoying. Ultimately it will boil down to personal preference, it's like with Morrowind, some people like the way the mechanics work, others mod it so it's like Oblivion/Skyrim.

Echoplx

Is there something similar for Clear Skies and Call of Pripiyat or is Complete still the best choice for those two games?

Complete isn't really the best option for any of the games, only the easiest. IIRC the CoP version is especially bad because it was abandoned before it was completely finished.

Personally for CoP I just use Atmosfear, Absolute Structures, Absolute Nature and Original Weapons Renewal.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/atmosfear-for-call-of-pripyat
http://www.moddb.com/mods/atmosfear-for-call-of-pripyat/addons
http://www.moddb.com/mods/original-weapons-renewal-3 (When installing this only copy the files from the gamedata directory)

The base game is pretty stable so there's not really any pure bug fix mods.

Oh and don't use the DX11 renderer it's missing many effects that are in the DX10 renderer.

I struggle to find a more impossible to play game with a gamepad than Stalker. Every molecule and feature in this game is throughly designed for M/Kb interaction. A proper PC game, god bless them, that really shows how the genre can shine when not diluted for couch playing.

The Steam Controller is great for these games.

Accoun

There is Sky Restoration Project and that's the one game that requires it (I couldn't even leave the first area due to the faction system bugging out).
Not sure about Pripiyat since I haven't played that one yet. I've been told it's more polished from the start, but I can't confirm.

forms

When you get used to em', it's not so bad. They kinda give themselves away, if they hear you first, by roaring before it cloaks. And then they start grunting when it runs towards you.

I don't believe them to be the most difficult mutant you encounter, honestly. Maybe at first, sure... but not the worst.

That's odd, there are only a few of them in the entire games and they are easy to avoid, deal with once you know were they are......

Just made the whole experience feel so very weird. Imagine playing a space game like Elite Dangerous, and suddenly a magical unicorn appears and starts beaming hearts at you. Not even the slightest dangerous, just...wrong. :D

bati

Spotted two people who need a healthy dose of Misery in their Stalker life.

joecanada

Like its been said here, Complete is not the best choice for anything at all, its a poor one. Clear Sky looks the best out of the box, you dont really need anything. But use the Absolute packs for both Clear Sky and Pripyat together with Arsenaul Overhaul.

http://absolute.crommcruac.com/call-of-pripyat/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Sm1q0NYd8Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADGzYZAy9ME

I agree it's a wonderful pc game which is gritty and bleak... The real fallout 3. However I can't do wasd I just can't so I never got a ton of play out of it .

Spotted two people who need a healthy dose of Misery in their Stalker life.

That's on my list to start after I build a new PC. Read some good things about it too.

Are there any major mods that improve the

1. Graphics
2. Gameplay

of Clear Skies?

Accoun already mentioned it and I can't think of any other mods you can try. There aren't too many mods for Clear Sky, to my knowledge anyway. And Sky Reclamation Project doesn't mess with the vanilla experience too much:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/srp

pa22word

That's on my list to start after I build a new PC. Read some good things about it too.

Accoun already mentioned it and I can't think of any other mods you can try. There aren't too many mods for Clear Sky, to my knowledge anyway. And Sky Reclamation Project doesn't mess with the vanilla experience too much:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/srp

Yeah clear sky gets avoided and ignored by most of the community. While mostly for good reason they ignore it, I still find it to be one of my favorite highly, almost cripplingly flawed games. I know that sounds weird, but clear sky is really interesting in the way it attempts to string together its mechanics in a highly ambitious way, even if it fails. They wanted to build this hugely reactive world with multiple warring factions slaughtering each other in real time with you stuck in the middle of it trying to guide one side through the chaos. It doesn't work more than it does, but it really feels like An attempted systemization almost a decade before they started coming out of the big survival games we have now like rust or dayz except with ai in a single player game.

I know everyone has this massive boner for far cry 2 as the flawed masterpiece of the immersive sim games, but personally I always felt like clear sky blew it out of the water.

I know everyone has this massive boner for far cry 2 as the flawed masterpiece of the immersive sim games, but personally I always felt like clear sky blew it out of the water.

This boner only exists in the revisionist sector of neogaf because Far Cry 2 is also on consoles, the dna of this forum. Every Stalker game obliterates it from every possible angle into nothingness, you're absolutely right. Far Cry 2 is an extremely poor game from every perspective, from its world, to its missions, to its half backed, half assed mechanics - conception to integration, combat scenarios and so on.

Hated by every living being under the sun at release to the point of literally feeling bad myself, because some of its ideas were cool, if only some competent developer would have made the game instead. Turned by gaf into some forgotten gem almost a decade later for god knows what reason

vio

Clear Sky weapons are terrible without a mod. Can't hit shit, while zombies get you from big distance easy.

bati

The mod is not that demanding, I played it on dx9 with a 760gtx (2gb version, even). It's really the pinnacle of single player survival experience, nothing else I've tried comes even remotely close.

In fact I'm replaying it now because of this thread. Recon for life.

jond76

Banned
The first time I encountered a Controller was one of my most frightening experience in a game ever. "WHATS GOING ON??!?!" - Me.

The mod is not that demanding, I played it on dx9 with a 760gtx (2gb version, even). It's really the pinnacle of single player survival experience, nothing else I've tried comes even remotely close.

In fact I'm replaying it now because of this thread. Recon for life.

Not by choice, unfortunately. My old PC is done and I am setting some money aside to build the best one I can right now.

Clear Sky weapons are terrible without a mod. Can't hit shit, while zombies get you from big distance easy.

Yeah, they turned into snipers on higher difficulties. It gets a little ridiculous sometimes...

Ophiuchus

I have been to most of the Soviet region and I still love the ambiance that Stalker delivers.It was very tough FPS for me when I first played it.Also rpg elements were nicely done.The atmosphere of this game is still amazing.I play it from time to time and it reminds me how empty and abandoned were some places in our region.The game truly makes you feel desperation,joy and loneliness throughout the gameplay.

And please do not exclude F.E.A.R when you name all those great FPS games.Those times were the triumph of FPS for me.

Damn, remember drooling over this game from March to October 2007 obsessively because I couldn't afford a gaming rig. It came out during my final quarter in college, and not only was I a broke ass college kid, I was working on my senior paper so had no time for gaming. Still, I would procrastinate by watching the same GameTrailers video review and the handful of Youtube videos that existed at the time over and over again. It just looked like such an amazing world and I wanted to explore it more than anything.

Then came my graduation and I got my first decent job. I paid off my car and was taking care of some other debts, all while putting as much money away as I could. Meanwhile, I spent every day browsing the Newegg hardware forums and store, designing my perfect rig. I finally had enough in early October and pulled the trigger on all of the parts. I stayed up until 3 am on a work night putting it together when it arrived. Right before I went to bed I installed Steam and started the STALKER download.

When I finally got home I remember booting it up for the first time and just not being able to believe that I was finally controlling it myself and could go explore whatever I wanted. Maybe the only time in my life I got this hyped for a single game, and somehow it didn't disappoint. I consider it the scrappy underdog in my top 5 games of all time.

edit for a typo

bati

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n9Cpp7-9tA

Aaah, this is why I love Misery. Not the sometimes stupid AI, but because you can drop enemies with one or two well placed bullets.

Speaking of which, is anyone familiar with Call of Misery? What are the most notable differences between Misery 2.1.1 and CoM? I know the latter is basically a free roam mode but I'm more curious about any missing or added features.

Top Bottom