• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are we ever going to see Granblue Fantasy released in the West?

Kyonashi

A question I've had for a while which has re-entered my mind as I've been enjoying Fire Emblem Heroes. It's difficult to get a gauge on how likely this is as all Google results seem to be concerned with the English translation that was already released, which is accessible only by desktop/emulator as far as I can tell.

I remember seeing ads for it everywhere when I was in Tokyo last year and the artwork is just gorgeous. Hideo Minaba's art is incredible.

As an iOS owner, the only way I'm going to play this game is if it officially releases on the Western app store. I quite like a good Gacha game but having it on my actual phone is essential for me.
Are the chances increased by the fact a translation already exists? Are there reasons they haven't brought it over yet despite it making gargantuan amounts in Japan?

On the other hand, how are the chances of a Western release for Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link?

Deft Beck

Well, how long did it take the West to get Puzzle and Dragons?

Even then, maybe they did some number crunching and figured that it's not the right time or market to approach.

Kyonashi

Well, how long did it take the West to get Puzzle and Dragons?

Not long at all. :/

03HLrYk.png

It's a browser game, you can literally play it on Safari.

Then why not just release it on the app store? If it's supported that way, it would simply add a new stream of revenue.

wrowa

Re:Link is a nice-looking action RPG by Platinum Games. Even if proper Granblue will never officially launch in the west, quite a few of our niche publishers would be interested in a project like that regardless.

Battlechili

Banned
Its already translated into English and is playable in-browser though. Why would they need to bring it to the West?
And Project Re:Link is almost a certainty. Its a Platinum game with an already established fanbase. It'll definitely get brought to the West. Plus I think they implied they were bringing it to PC during a stream. Doesn't make much sense to release a game on PC if they don't at least plan on bringing it to the West.

Re:Link is a nice-looking action RPG by Platinum Games. Even if proper Granblue will never officially launch in the west, quite a few of our niche publishers would be interested in a project like that regardless.

Yeah this big upcoming Platinum one I think definitely will. That gameplay trailer looked beautiful too.

Falk

that puzzling face
Then why not just release it on the app store? If it's supported that way, it would simply add a new stream of revenue.

Popular theory (with no empirical evidence that I'm aware of) is it sidesteps a lot of potential licensing issues.

Kyonashi

Popular theory (with no empirical evidence that I'm aware of) is it sidesteps a lot of potential licensing issues.

Licensing issues that won't be present with Re:Link?
Feels like if they are likely to bring that over as people have suggested, a big push on the app store could work in tandem.

I just really don't like playing in-browser with the Safari UI taking up part of the screen.

matmanx1

On any unlocked Android phone you can download the .apk from apkmirror and play the game in english right on your phone. I have Gran Blue Fantasy on my Google Pixel right now.

The URL bar never disappears right? There's no way to fullscreen it? :/

I'd massively prefer an actual app. I know it seems petty but I'm certain there are plenty people in the same boat.
I could never recommend a phone game to my friends that was browser-accessed, most people are fairly lazy.

From what l remember when l tried it some months ago the app ran like utter crap. People recommended to play it on chrome because the app is basically the browser game shoehorned.

Sheiter

If you look up how to make a japanese itunes account you can download the ios app from the japanese app store then switch back to your usual region and still use the app no problem. You dont even need to switch stores to update the app because all the updates are made server side on cygames' end.

From what l remember when l tried it some months ago the app ran like utter crap. People recommended to play it on chrome because the app is basically the browser game shoehorned.

App actually runs better on my iphone than it does in browser on my PC lol
no Grande frame dips here o7

Licensing issues that won't be present with Re:Link?

Of course.
Re:Link would only have a fraction of the characters from the mobage.

PsionBolt

It never occurred to me that it hadn't been. It's been available in English with no IP lock for ages; its absence from storefronts doesn't make much difference when it's best played in Chrome anyway.

Kyonashi

It never occurred to me that it hadn't been. It's been available in English with no IP lock for ages; its absence from storefronts doesn't make much difference when it's best played in Chrome anyway.

I mean, it definitely makes a difference to a non-enthusiast audience who don't know it exists. It would definitely make more money in the West with an official app store launch.

I mean, it definitely makes a difference to a non-enthusiast audience who don't know it exists. It would definitely make more money in the West with an official app store launch.
Stop being petty. We've just shown you it is definitely playable in the West. You just prefer an actual app rather than accessing it through the browser, we get it. Like someone else said, for most people the app is actually inferior. And I dunno how making purchases on the iPhone works in the US regarding this game, but with Android it's simply making purchases from the Play Store.

DJIzana

If we don't get Re: Link in the West then there will be a SERIOUS importing session for me. I plan to go all in a get a collectors edition of it when it releases.

I just hope Re: Link lives up and is extremely large scale and brings us a 3d landscape of all the areas we visit in the mobile title (and cities to boot). It won't happen... But I at least hope for more flying islands than just the one we've seen. They said it'll be a large scale action RPG but it is a Platinum Games title too so I'm sceptical... We really need to see more of it this year too.

As for the mobile game... Probably not. Not until Re: Link releases (as you can get it playable on Android via apk or just play via browser).

Zomba13

Stop being petty. We've just shown you it is definitely playable in the West. You just prefer an actual app rather than accessing it through the browser, we get it. Like someone else said, for most people the app is actually inferior. And I dunno how making purchases on the iPhone works in the US regarding this game, but with Android it's simply making purchases from the Play Store.

Well I also didn't know it was available in English because of the lack of an app. All I've heard is about how it's this big Japanese mobile thing and no one ever mentions "it's in English on the website *but only through the chrome app store".

Surely you realise that it could reach a bigger audience by actually being on the mobile app stores? Like, you have people on GAF who know of the game but didn't know it was available in English and GAF is pretty hardcore in regards to game stuff. Just seems weird to jump down the guys throat about it when it seems that it's not in the west as an app to avoid licensing issues.

Well I also didn't know it was available in English because of the lack of an app. All I've heard is about how it's this big Japanese mobile thing and no one ever mentions "it's in English on the website *but only through the chrome app store".

Surely you realise that it could reach a bigger audience by actually being on the mobile app stores? Like, you have people on GAF who know of the game but didn't know it was available in English and GAF is pretty hardcore in regards to game stuff. Just seems weird to jump down the guys throat about it when it seems that it's not in the west as an app to avoid licensing issues.
Wasn't jumping down anyone's throat, he himself said he was being petty :/

The thing is, gacha games outside of Japan are still a niche category. Extremely niche. Fire Emblem in my opinion is the tip of the iceberg for gacha now in the West. Sure there's other games with a gacha system implemented but FE will be most people's first taste of the system.

But for people wanting to learn more, there's PLENTY of info out there, you just have to google it. Tons of tutorials, which is how a lot of us got through it before the English patch came out. Here. Reddit. There's a forum dedicated to the game. Honestly the game is 100% playable through the browser and 9 times out of 10 runs smoother for most people. Considering people also play on the PC, that's yet another reason it doesn't really need an app. It's ease of access. On mobile, you just enter the website and log in. And if you're truly desperate for an app, at least on Android all you have to do is download the .apk file.

Raitaro

Hopefully we'll indeed get PG's Re:Link here, as some seem to be quite sure about in this thread. I'm hoping it might scratch an Kingdoms of Amalur itch for people like my parents (and myself, in between other games) who like a relatively simple action-adventure game set in a big world. There's not that many of those being made still (save for Zelda, arguably).

Kyonashi

Wasn't jumping down anyone's throat, he himself said he was being petty :/

My dude, I can say I prefer a fullscreen app experience and also discuss the widespread appeal of a browser-only app to a mainstream audience, they're not mutually exclusive. From an awareness perspective, Western audiences outside of very core enthusiasts will not spend money on an in-browser mobile gacha game.

Game's client is a proprietery stripped down browser anyway, so just playing it in browser is perfectly fine...

Now, as somebody with weak devices I don't even dabble into it outside of my PC, cuz good luck with those real time raids,especially with leaching where you often get like 2-3 seconds of wiggle room before it's too late. any drop in performance or loading time would aggravate this.

There's an app but it's complete ass. Runs much better in the browser version.

Fairly easy to download the app on android, but you're just way better off playing it in the browser. And its in full english too so nothing to worry about there. Its easy to make a new account and play right now.

Aurizen

I'm still wondering why this isn't in the US app store... Its in English and everything. Seems like a waste to translate it and keep it in a non major English speaking region.

chrono01

I'm still wondering why this isn't in the US app store... Its in English and everything. Seems like a waste to translate it and keep it in a non major English speaking region.
It probably has to do with licensing issues. If they released the app on the NA stores, they'd have to go through a bunch of red tape, not to mention setting aside new servers for players.

As it is now, you can just play the game through your browser (after setting up an account), play it English, and get everything the Japanese players do, including the (often-times extremely generous) daily login/rewards.

As much as I'd love the stand-alone app, I have no issue playing it through my browser (both on my phone as well as PC). The worst part of not having a localized version is trying to purchase coins for purchases in-game through iOS, but buying Mobage point cards and applying them to my account isn't overly complicated.

Top Bottom