• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix trying to port full version of FF15 to Switch, maybe via UE4

orioto

Good Art™
A port of the FFXIII trilogy for now would do wonders for their wallets. Also FFX, XII.. of course.

It'll be interesting to see what they can do if they try but changing the engine ? My god that seems like a looong process..

Kouriozan

Unreal, seems like a pretty big project to port it to UE4.
Maybe they are future-proofing FF XV to be able to easily port it to future consoles in some years.

ozfunghi

haha, some guys from the other FFXV Switch thread will surely be rubbing their eyes, since this was "not possible".

This seems like such an obscene waste of time for low gain versus putting the pocket version on there.

Maybe they have a long term vision, that doesn't just stop at FFXV on Switch?

D_prOdigy

Definitely one of the only AAA 3rd party games I can't muster up any particular desire for a Switch port.

Do a spin-off like a Crystal Chronicles for a tenth of the budget and I'd be more interested.

or FFVI 'HD-2D'

Not a fan of this idea mainly because I am afraid it could affect KH3 and FFVII's development or scale.

Ah yes, Square Enix is only made up of one dev team. It's been like this since Nintendo's Mario Party 3DS games set Mario Odyssey back 2 years in development time.

Please keep high end and handheld development separate.
I dont care if they make a switch version for every single game but it shouldn't effect the scale of their big games to ensure easy ports.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
what was the point of luminous if they are trying to port FF15 to UE4? Are they really saying they are giving up on their shiny next gen engine they spent 6 years developing because it cant scale down to weak hardware?

Celine

SE should move development of their big series to Unreal Engine 4 and forget about Luminous Engine.
UE4 already support Switch so it should be easier to scale back effects to make it run on that hardware (if it is feasible for the kind of game).

Eh, XV's technical issues were some of the things that dragged the game down for me. I don't see it being any better on the Switch.

Oregano

They are not unrelated. All 3 come from the same company and I dread the idea of Square cutting back on the production values to sell in on the Switch.

Please keep high end and handheld development separate.
I dont care if they make a switch version for every single game but it shouldn't effect the scale of their big games to ensure easy ports.

Surely if the idea is to port the full fat version of the game then they wouldn't be holding anything back?

Also the games are going to be held back by the shit jaguar CPUs anyway.

kizmah

I appreciate the effort and this speaks volumes of Switch's status but I would much rather SE do a remake of FFVI in that sweet sweet HD-2D.

Kimawolf

Well it says they want to work with Epic so they may be seriously considering partnering up on it. Of anyone can do it, its Epic and Nvidia.

Surely if the idea is to port the full fat version of the game then they wouldn't be holding anything back?

Also the games are going to be held back by the shit jaguar CPUs anyway.
Yeah but xv is already done, if switch was a target platform for xv since the beginning then they wouldve kept its limits in mind for all 3 versions. They wouldn't have gone to epic to make a lighter switch version, they wouldve scaled back the ps4 xb1 versions so the switch wouldn't have issues incorporating everything.
This probably wont affect kh3 or 7 because i assume theyre reasonably far ahead enough to do a development 180 just for the switch... But im not a fan of this approach if the base consoles are selling good numbers by themselves.

robotrock

Banned
I swear, there have been like 50 threads since Gamescom created on Tabata quotes where he says the most bullshit things.

-shadow-

So they're considering porting it to Unreal 4 and then porting it to Switch? Well... I'm not entirely sure what to think.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
They are not unrelated. All 3 come from the same company and I dread the idea of Square cutting back on the production values to sell in on the Switch.

You should have just put FFXVI in there. That could have made sense.

This probably wont affect kh3 or 7 because i assume theyre reasonably far ahead enough to do a development 180 just for the switch... But im not a fan of this approach if the base consoles are selling good numbers by themselves.

It wouldn't have affected them even if those two weren't far along at all. Almost 4,000 people work at Square Enix and I have to assume half of them are on the actual development staff. It wouldn't take a significant chunk of them to be dedicated to Switch porting FFXV.

ksamedi

With the Switch being a console that you can take with you, it makes sense that they put the full FF15 experience on there. A pocket edition would be a waste of time. The appeal of the Switch is that you get play these games on the go.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
what was the point of luminous if they are trying to port FF15 to UE4? Are they really saying they are giving up on their shiny next gen engine they spent 6 years developing because it cant scale down to weak hardware?
The fact it took 6 years to develop and they only brought out one game for it says it all. That's not normal.

Oregano

Yeah but xv is already done, if switch was a target platform for xv since the beginning then they wouldve kept its limits in mind for all 3 versions. They wouldn't have gone to epic to make a lighter switch version, they wouldve scaled back the ps4 xb1 versions so the switch wouldn't have issues incorporating everything.

FFXV barely scraped past a million in Japan, it's the worst selling mainline game for like 25 years. Switch is going to be massive in Japan. There's a good opportunity there.

Also I already know you're not a fan of publishers supporting Nintendo

artsi

The fact it took 6 years to develop and they only brought out one game for it says it all. That's not normal.

See how long it took to develop UE4.

Of course they're not abandoning the engine, they specifically said that the next project will be using it. And I imagine that quote means they are going to see what UE4 does so it runs on Switch and implement that tech to Luminous.

orioto

Good Art™
With the Switch being a console that you can take with you, it makes sense that they put the full FF15 experience on there. A pocket edition would be a waste of time. The appeal of the Switch is that you get play these games on the go.

That said, the ios version is probably useless and chara design is horrible, but but but, i bet SE is thinking what they did with DQXI would have been perfect for FFXV to. A chibi old school version (but done with good taste).

Top Bottom