• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Permanently A

In which instances? Both have been used.

well two reasons, I don't like hearing the japanese names with english VA it just sounds unnatural

and in the JP VA they usually address people by last name instead of first (All Might's "MIDORIYA SHONEN!" being a notable exception) so hearing it reversed in the dub is jarring

well two reasons, I don't like hearing the japanese names with english VA it just sounds unnatural

and in the JP VA they usually address people by last name instead of first (All Might's "MIDORIYA SHONEN!" being a notable exception) so hearing it reversed in the dub is jarring

That's kinda normal for all dubs and even in some anime (that is in Japanese) should a "foreigner" appear then some will accommodate them and actually use western order name scheme (ie Marmalade Boy).

I also have to say pronunciation on names is generally better than it was a decade or so ago.

It's not bad (Christopher Sabat is a great VA), but it might as well be since it doesn't come close to capturing the enthusiasm, charm, and exuberance of the original.

I dunno. I've watched both and generally lean towards the dub as I've really enjoyed Chris in the role. Hell I even got my mother to watch due to him.

HabeeNo

The only scene I've watched dubbed was the All Might vs Nomu scene, and man as soon as he yells "PLUS ULTRA" I get the chills just like the Japanese version.

By that scene alone I most likely will check the Dubbed version at some point lol

Magwik

Banned

It's not bad (Christopher Sabat is a great VA), but it might as well be since it doesn't come close to capturing the enthusiasm, charm, and exuberance of the original.

I wouldn't say trash but he is a massive downgrade and kills any interest I'd have in the dub.
Christopher Sabat makes actually no effort to sound or emulate All Might. He just sounds like Christopher Sabat.

NSESN

I like Sabat and the english dub overall, but I prefer the japanese voices. Except for Deku, whoever does the english version of him captured the exact voice I have for him when reading the manga.

And Mei, english Mei is hilarious.

Meffer

I like Sabat and the english dub overall, but I prefer the japanese voices. Except for Deku, whoever does the english version of him captured the exact voice I have for him when reading the manga.

The VA for Deku also did the voice of Cloud in TeamFourStar's FF7 Abriged.

PK Gaming

Agreed. Deku's English VA is absolutely standout. It's hard not getting emotional when he pours his all into voicing Deku, lol.

The VA for Deku also did the voice of Cloud in TeamFourStar's FF7 Abriged.

An underdog voicing an underdog. I love it.

All Might is just that "American in Japan" VA archetype that has no direct equivalent in other media. It's always been a problem, even for otherwise great dubs. (See also: the baseball episode of Samurai Champloo.)

Like, it's not the actor's fault, there's just literally no functional equivalent for a dub.

NSESN

All the voices just sound kinda off imo but Todoroki's in particular is like way too deep and just sounds completely wrong to me

To be fair I have the same problem with japanese Todoroki. Yuki Kaji has a voice too deep imo. His voice for Citron is the worst example. But I did like his voice for Phoenix Wrigjt.

ShadyK54

All the voices just sound kinda off imo but Todoroki's in particular is like way too deep and just sounds completely wrong to me

The fight vs Deku was the first episode of the dub that I watched ever & I didn't really gel with it, mostly due to Todoroki's voice.

Not sure if I don't care for the voice work, or that I'm so used to the Japanese VA.

Kind of glad to see yuki kaji love here for todoroki, i wish he played more charas like him, really different than his typical eren voice.

I like both but prefer engdub, none of my usual favs are in this anime jpn dub anyway.

PK Gaming

Watched Deku vs Todoroki, for like the 3rd time

That fight is just so incredibly godlike. Animation, music choice, story set up, characters; everything is on point.

Jintor

crosspost from animegaf

boku no hero s2 e13

ms midnight demonstrating even though her dress attire is not worksafe appropriate she's still, weirdly, kind of a good teacher
young midoriya in the all might hoody and young dekumom oh my godddddd
deku reclaiming his name

did kirishima seem a bit more offmodel than usual this ep? something about his nose

interestingly even though the animation budget has dived again the improved direction is fobbing most of that off.

iida faceeeee! feels like they stole a bit of music design from nier, lol. probably just the vocals.

Tunoku

The way they presented that last scene with Iida kinda makes me hope something actually serious happens like him dying blinded by his desire for revenge, but it's shonen so probably not.

JSevere

Iida bout to get himself in some trouble, I can feel it

Gran Torino seems like a fun character already, lol'd at the post credits scene

2nd cour lookin hype from that trailer

Neoxon

So how long will we have to wait until Iida vs. Stain?

Also, I have a good feeling that Midoriya's training session with Gran Torino is gonna be insanely fun.

Windup

Neo Member
Got into this and even as someone that doesn't watch much anime was really enjoying it, but the most recent episode killed a lot my hype for this series. Almost every match in the tournament ended up being a complete blowout, even ones that I thought could have been really interesting (the finals, tokoyami vs make stuff from belly girl, tokoyami vs bakugo, etc.). I appreciate not wanting to draw out the arcs but it felt like there was a lot more that could have been done here.

I can see why some people have a hard time remembering character names in this series, since many of them have their full name, a nickname and a hero name.

Moaradin

The climax of the arc already happened. Not much point dragging the rest of the fights out, since the fights weren't the point to begin with.

Sou Da

All Might is just that "American in Japan" VA archetype that has no direct equivalent in other media. It's always been a problem, even for otherwise great dubs. (See also: the baseball episode of Samurai Champloo.)

Like, it's not the actor's fault, there's just literally no functional equivalent for a dub.
All they had to do was get literally any previous Superman VA.

Top Bottom