• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Universe |OT| Truly, Truly, Truly Outrageous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just rewatched The Return/Jailbreak. Is it just me or is every word that comes out of Jasper's mouth an anime cliche? Lol

"That shield.... that symbol..."
"Fusion is just a cheap tactic to make weak jems stronger!"

Also was there a title change a few days ago? I swear it was 'Truly Truly Outrageous' and not 'Truly Truly Truly Outrageous' before. Would be appropriate for all the shit that went down last week though.

Just rewatched The Return/Jailbreak. Is it just me or is every word that comes out of Jasper's mouth an anime cliche? Lol

Jasper is a flat-out Dragon Ball Z homage; half Vegeta, half Freiza. She's a fun character.

Also was there a title change a few days ago? I swear it was 'Truly Truly Outrageous' and not 'Truly Truly Truly Outrageous' before. Would be appropriate for all the shit that went down last week though.

Her gem. Is over 9000

KiN0

Jasper was a pretty weak villain tbh. Every other enemy encountered thus far has had some another side to them (the monsters are corrupted gems, lapis wanted to go home, peridot wants to study the cluster). Jasper just cares about strength. I mean, she's practically vegeta.

Toxi

Banned
Jasper was a pretty weak villain tbh. Every other enemy encountered thus far has had some another side to them (the monsters are corrupted gems, lapis wanted to go home, peridot wants to study the cluster). Jasper just cares about strength. I mean, she's practically vegeta.
I'm fine with that. She's really just there as the foe for Garnet's big moment, not as a long-term villain.

I expect that the main foe of season 2 will get much more focus because there's more room for that with all the build-up season 1 established.
Jasper is what you get when you fuse Raditz, Nappa, and an angry carrot Kakarot

I trust the the SU crew to go someplace interesting with Jasper. Who knows what being forcibly held in a fusion under the ocean might do to her. It is a bit of a violation...

TheOGB

Banned
It's so great to see this thread active. I love this cartoon so much. It's really important to me.
This show was charming enough to hold a special place in my faves list even before last week, but StevenBomb catapulted it to the top. It is simply amazing.

Also LOL
tumblr_nl9pwik12B1qhksomo1_1280.png

started watching this

is this the first American Harem cartoon?

Assuming I understand what you mean by harem, no. Steven is a little brother figure to the gems, who used to know his mom, and as far as romantic interests go he has only one that is basically just a cute friendship that might eventually lead to that later.

The SU crew have said they loved the way the episode turned out, and the description involves UG helping Steven utilize the power in his mother's gem. I'm looking forward to it. Uncle Grandpa is silly, dumb cartoon humor, has no shame in it, and also utilizes the absurdity of it's world in rather interesting and creative ways at times. I love SU but UG is a fine show too!

yes!! 100% agreed, i dont understand all the poor UG hate, love shows that use the animation medium to push creative and innovative visual gags

i'm actually really excited to see how the crossover turns out, give UG a chance you guys!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
started watching this

is this the first American Harem cartoon?
Steven is the little brother. And not in the "Oniii-san" kinda way. Gross.

That entire scene was just one big anime cliche. From the cinematography to the story beats and some of the dialogue. The only thing it was missing was poor exposition and inner monologues. The creators are pretty big anime fans.

Raxus

Do we know who put Lapis in the mirror?

Garnet, Rose or a third party.

Pearl had no idea how powerful the gem was in the mirror and it is safe to assume Amethyst had no clue either. I am leaning towards a third party or Rose.

Tizoc

Assuming I understand what you mean by harem, no. Steven is a little brother figure to the gems, who used to know his mom, and as far as romantic interests go he has only one that is basically just a cute friendship that might eventually lead to that later.

i'VE always seen this show being about the kid sidekick, and his adventures with the hero team.

KiN0

we can assume it was one of the allies of the gems from back in the days. Not necessarily one of them.

Garnet, Rose or a third party.

Pearl had no idea how powerful the gem was in the mirror and it is safe to assume Amethyst had no clue either. I am leaning towards a third party or Rose.

I also thought that a crystal gem ally trapped lapis in the mirror. That would explain why they purposefully left her trapped. But it doesn't explain why the mirror was found at the galaxy warp. It also doesn't explain why lapis sounded like she fought for the planet's freedom.

Perhaps she was an ally and then her gem was damaged and she started turning bad? They trapped her in the mirror since they didn't know how to repair her but she didn't go full monster yet? I'm sure they'll get to that eventually. They're SUPER good at cramming story into 11 minutes and we have like 100 episodes to go *vibrates with glee*

Toxi

Banned
It also doesn't explain why lapis sounded like she fought for the planet's freedom.
Perhaps Lapis Lazuli betrayed the Crystal Gems and got trapped in the mirror for that. Lapis is already pretty cavalier about alliances; Steven is the only character she every showed loyalty to, and that's after he gave her freedom twice.

KiN0

Her role in this conflict is pretty weird to me. She doesn't want anything to do with earth or home world yet the writes seem to have something big planned for her. I'm hoping she ends up a major player in this mess rather than a tragic victim/bystander.

Her role in this conflict is pretty weird to me. She doesn't want anything to do with earth or home world yet the writes seem to have something big planned for her. I'm hoping she ends up a major player in this mess rather than a tragic victim/bystander.

I hope she eventually is freed and joins Steven and the others. Along with the Centipeedle being restored to their true gem form.

Toxi

Banned
I hope she eventually is freed and joins Steven and the others. Along with the Centipeedle being restored to their true gem form.
I'm not sure about Lapis joining the good guys; she's way too powerful for most of the stories and she hates the Crystal Gems besides Steven. If Lapis is freed, I see her just trying to live on her own.

Definitely want to see the Centipeedle restored though.

jwk94

Don't they talk about how gems turn into things when corrupted. Maybe she just turned into a mirror
lol thajt would be hilarious.

I'm not sure about Lapis joining the good guys; she's way too powerful for most of the stories and she hates the Crystal Gems besides Steven. If Lapis is freed, I see her just trying to live on her own.

Maybe Lapis could play the sixth ranger roll and only help when needed?

Dares

So Lapis is that Cheetah beast wars transformer that helps them out sometimes but lives off on his own.

Leonel

Neo Member
I wouldn't hold my breath for a Lapis return. I read somewhere that one of the creators finds it unlikely that she'll return, due to her lack of popularity. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

rexor0717

Could you imagine the terror or some diver going down into the ocean and seeing a writhing Malachite being detained by watety chains? Poor diver dude, died of a heart attack.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My own sense of it is that Lapis was a damaged gem that went crazy, and at some point was contained by using the gem to power the mirror. They didn't want Steven to free the gem at first, as they feared it would just turn into a monster. His ability to restore the gem wasn't taken into account.

It's possible that damaged gems do not *know* they're damaged and are on a rampage. Damaged Lapis may not realize she was dangerous and only has memories of being held prisoner for no reason.

I wonder if the show will get in to all the damaged gems and how they got damaged. It could have happened during the rebellion, leaving a lot of damaged gems to run off and turn into monsters. A darker possibility is that gems require some form of maintenance (defrag, lol) and over thousands of years, many trapped on earth began failing.

Toxi

Banned
Lapis wasn't corrupted, she was cracked like Amethyst was in An Indirect Kiss. Rose (and later Steven) had the ability to heal cracked gems, but couldn't heal those corrupted into monsters.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Lapis return. I read somewhere that one of the creators finds it unlikely that she'll return, due to her lack of popularity. I'd love to be proven wrong though!

Where did you hear that? Lapis is very popular. Only a little while after her debut episode, the internet was flooded with fanart of her.

Leonel

Neo Member
Oh snap! Apparently I'm a huge fat liar! I read it from Matt Burnett's "own" twitter feed. Just tried rechecking that tweet and he said it was fake.

please don't hurt me

Psxphile

BAN ALL THOSE WHO INSULT LAPIS

Working on a visual episode guide for those new to the series and want to catch up. Season 1A is more or less finished, interested in critiques. Trying to keep it as spoiler-free as possible but also with just enough tantalizing information to pique interests. It's just a first draft, I plan to tweak things around as I go on. Season 1B coming soon.

Raxus

Working on a visual episode guide for those new to the series and want to catch up. Season 1A is more or less finished, interested in critiques. Trying to keep it as spoiler-free as possible but also with just enough tantalizing information to pique interests. It's just a first draft, I plan to tweak things around as I go on. Season 1B coming soon.

Nice guide. Shame you (understandably) cut episodes like Cat Fingers, Steven and the Stevens, Tiger Millionaire and So Many Birthdays.

A quick side note to everyone as well. This is a guide to get caught up with the series quickly but every episode not mentioned tends to have small little character moments that get built up as the show goes on (that and nearly every episode in 1B is practically necessary 0.o).

A good example is Petey from Frybo. *Spoilers for Petey for the first season!*
He is introduced and by the end his dad shows more confidence in him and throughout the series he gains more power in the shop all the way up to running the fry shop solo and a vote of confidence in his dad in 'Political Power'. Petey is a nice mirror to Steven's development in the series.
This only goes to further my point that if you get into the series I encourage you watch every episode before moving to the second half since a majority of the episodes tend to have nice nods to Steven's development as a character as well as development to people around the town which comes into play as the series moves forward.

BAN ALL THOSE WHO INSULT LAPIS

Wow, this is spectacular. Would you mind if I stuck it in the OP (with credit, of course!) once you're finished?

Psxphile

Creating that guide from scratch has more or less taught me to create assets first so I don't have to redo everything every time I decide to update the image(s). So that's what I'm doing now.

Nice guide. Shame you (understandably) cut episodes like Cat Fingers, Steven and the Stevens, Tiger Millionaire and So Many Birthdays.

A quick side note to everyone as well. This is a guide to get caught up with the series quickly but every episode not mentioned tends to have small little character moments that get built up as the show goes on (that and nearly every episode in 1B is practically necessary 0.o).

A good example is Petey from Frybo. *Spoilers for Petey for the first season!*
He is introduced and by the end his dad shows more confidence in him and throughout the series he gains more power in the shop all the way up to running the fry shop solo and a vote of confidence in his dad in 'Political Power'. Petey is a nice mirror to Steven's development in the series.
This only goes to further my point that if you get into the series I encourage you watch every episode before moving to the second half since a majority of the episodes tend to have nice nods to Steven's development as a character as well as development to people around the town which comes into play as the series moves forward.
Oh yes, this is basically a 'get caught up quick' guide that, at the moment isn't too necessary but in the coming months as the episode count balloons could be vital for newcomers. And I agree, the nature of character development in SU is such that you get a little bit in almost every episode + the fact the episodes are only 11 minutes long means you really should try to watch every one. But for those who don't or can't, this guide is to help point out the episodes where major developments occur and to speed up interest in the series. Those who become bewitched can always go back and view those episodes later.

I think I'll be adding a disclaimer saying just as much in future iterations of the guide.

Wow, this is spectacular. Would you mind if I stuck it in the OP (with credit, of course!) once you're finished?

Sure thing.

EDIT: Laser Light Show? Ugh. That's a fix...

I don't think Lapriz will join the CG. Her power is legit OP on an earth beach and she really does hate the CG so much that it's driven her cray cray (All she had to do was NOT help Jasper and Jasper would be bubbled now but she doesn't really have a home now and and was tired of everyone trapping her I guess ...). I see her being freed by Steven a 3rd time and becoming a long distance space back up friend.

Peridot is the one I see becoming a legit CG. First off, she didn't seem to even KNOW wtf the CGs were when encountering them for the first time so I'm sure she doesn't have ill-will to them. Could be a case where she was made/ born after the War and the HW propaganda made sure new gems didn't know what really happened (Like Japan after WWII ..).
Then there's the line about how Steven hopes that once they see earth they will realize how wonderful it is and change their minds. Peridot just seems like an uptight IT gem that's just trying to do her job and doesn't really know much about earth or what happened in the war. Now she's stuck on earth alone and without a way off (unless she or her pod can fly).

She's the right level of weak to be in the group (after Steven disarmed her it seemed like Amy and Pearl had no problem handling her) but brings something new in a lot of ways. New PoV to the lore (Jasper not only knows about the CG but was in the war yet Peridot seems to not have the slightest clue wut a CG is and seems to think gems on earth went "extinct") , new tech knowledge to face future gems, a new persona to the group dynamics and a convert to give hope to Steven's path of understanding.

I personally wouldn't call her a weak villain at all.
She was really engaging to a lot of viewers, and trust me thats a big win in storytelling (I hope I could create a villain as "weak" as her).
Jasper really didn't need to have a back story and character development on the level of the crystal gems or even some of the corrupted monster gems to be an incredibly likable, and entertaining character.
Hell, she is much more interesting to me than any of the monsters we've seen so far.
Like, I love the design of the monsters and the fights that surround them...but they're just moving MacGuffins most of the time...barring the centipeedtle and maybe the lighthouse gem, they don't tend to show a lot of feeling or have noticeable back stories beyond being corrupted gems; they roar and attack the good guys to get the plot and story moving.

Jasper as a character had agency, vices (her hypocritical stance on fusions, her unreasonable temper, her fusion prejudice, etc.), values (the homeworld, tactical skill, strength, etc.), and a focused purpose.
I mean...valuing strength is no more shallow a value than wanting to go home or wanting to do your job; it's possible to create some really engaging stories from a character who mainly values strength, and that's what the crewniverse did.
I mean, it makes sense that she values strength tbqh; going by her "...looks like another waste of my time." line it seems like she might be the exterminator non-action gems like Peridot call to take care of bothersome infestations so they can get back to work, if this is the case this line sort of tells us that she hasn't been truly engaged yet and her job is mundane at this point.

Edit: Generally going by my own storytelling experience...a weak villain is just an unlikable/"charmless" character with unbelievable motivations who is just doing stuff just...because.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom