• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radiohead announces OK Computer 20th Anniversary set (w/ unreleased tracks)

Blader

I Promise is up on US Spotify now.

You know, I've never really cared for this song before and pretty much ignored the news of its inclusion on this new release since Lift and Man of War were much bigger deals to me, but...this track sounds really good! Why the hell didn't they at least release it as B-side? This sounds like the OK Computer equivalent of Talk Show Host.

Yeah what I found wasn't great quality so I bailed. I think it's best not to spoil things for others by starting to describe what it was like or giving impressions. Everyone should wait for the full fidelity releases.

Blader

Seems like Man of War was mixed from sessions that were literally 20 years apart. It's like getting the Radiohead of then and now mashed into one song.

Kino_

Betting on a Lift video tomorrow to coincide with Glastonbury!!!

This is already one of my fav RH songs. The chills I get when Jonny's guitar thunders in holy shit

The video is especially haunting as well. Your demons ("worms") will try to consume you no matter what mood/state of mind you're in: you can only run so far until you must face em.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Daaamn man o war is fucking great and better than I promise

groansey

It's Radiohead needing an excuse to resell content.

EMI milk RH fans with a £15 Deluxe set with all b-sides and live tracks = bad.

RH milk their fans for £100 for Deluxe set with all b-sides and 3 new unreleased tracks = an artistic, creative decision.

They'll have enough demos and live recordings in the vault to drop a 30th,40th, 50th anniversary reissue for extortionate prices. Considering how anti-capitalist RH supposedly are it's quite amusing.

The same price could've got you the MCIS deluxe edition with a full remaster plus 60-odd new demos, alt takes. And it's a better album.

The same price could get you a remaster of all of Blurs back catalogue, each with a b-sides and outtakes cd. And they're better albums.

EMI milk RH fans with a £15 Deluxe set with all b-sides and live tracks = bad.

RH milk their fans for £100 for Deluxe set with 3 new unreleased = an artistic, creative decision.

They'll have enough demos and live recordings in the vault to drop a 30th,40th, 50th anniversary reissue for extortionate prices. Considering how anti-capitalist RH supposedly are it's quite amusing.

The same price could've got you the MCIS deluxe edition with a full remaster plus 60-odd new demos, alt takes. And it's a better album.

The same price could get you a remaster of all of Blurs back catalogue, each with a b-sides and outtakes cd. And they're better albums.

Is someone forcing you to buy the deluxe edition?

I plan on getting the album on Spotify tomorrow for...the price of my subscription.

Blader

is there confirmation that the 3 songs had some additional layers added recently?

The strings on Man of War are credited to the same composer/orchestra/engineer that did the strings on Spectre, and there was a rumor floating around that when the Bond producers commissioned Radiohead for a song, they re-recorded/finished Man of War as their first submission. Producers didn't want a 20-year-old outtake so they requested a brand new song instead, and the band made Spectre (which was also rejected lol).

I Promise and Lift sound like they were taken straight from the 90s sessions, but Man of War sounds like a mashup -- 90s guitar and drums, 2016 vocals (for the most part), strings, and piano.

Blader

Man of War is definitely new strings and, at least, most of the vocals.

Piano is 90s, I think. Sounds very much like Karma Police.

yeah, could be.

So with the 3 new tracks, are the vocals 1997 Thom Yorke or were they re-recorded?

I Promise and Lift are 90s vocals. Man of War sounds like mostly re-recorded vocals, but a couple bits might be taken from older sessions (thinking specifically about the "yeah yeah yeah" part).

EVOL 100%

I really wished they used Thom's old vocals for Man of War. There must have been some older studio recordings that they had, no?

Oh well, I'll take what I can get. Still a great song anyway

zoozilla

The strings on Man of War are credited to the same composer/orchestra/engineer that did the strings on Spectre, and there was a rumor floating around that when the Bond producers commissioned Radiohead for a song, they re-recorded/finished Man of War as their first submission. Producers didn't want a 20-year-old outtake so they requested a brand new song instead, and the band made Spectre (which was also rejected lol).

I Promise and Lift sound like they were taken straight from the 90s sessions, but Man of War sounds like a mashup -- 90s guitar and drums, 2016 vocals (for the most part), strings, and piano.

Spectre would've been an amazing Bond song, but I can't blame the producers for not biting on Man of War. That would've been way out of left field.

The real treasure is going to be the outtakes on the cassette that are shipping next month.

Early versions of Nude, Motion Picture Soundtrack, The National Anthem, etc etc.

epmode

I still think it's tacky when a band charges more for higher quality files. Radiohead really loves bumping the price for those 24 bit WAVs and they don't even include MP3s in the download. Everyone should use the Bandcamp model.

Top Bottom