• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nvidia 384.76 finally fixes HDR

Just tested the new driver, and it indeed fixes the HDR display issue conflict with Creators! The Desktop still looks like shit, but what matters is the games now look like HDR and not a misty morning :)

Siphorus

Ooo, I'll have to give this a shot, I tried HDR without this and couldn't get it to work without forcing it using 3rd party code.

So you only enable this when you go into a game that supports it right? Nothing auto detects?

I've got an LG B6 and on all other platforms the tv detects an HDR signal automatically, but I don't have a PC game to test it on yet.

So you only enable this when you go into a game that supports it right? Nothing auto detects?

I've got an LG B6 and on all other platforms the tv detects an HDR signal automatically, but I don't have a PC game to test it on yet.

It will auto detect but you won't have the correct chroma applied, so it's like the PS4 in that doing it manually gets you the best results.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
If I turn off hdr on my desktop (cause it is way too dark), do I have to turn it back on before starting a game with her?

If I turn off hdr on my desktop (cause it is way too dark), do I have to turn it back on before starting a game with her?

So I've just tried testing with Windows HDR off, and nothing works in HDR, no Nvidia Gameworks HDR inc, so you have to suffer the horrible desktop by having Windows HDR on basically.

Hawk269

You sure this is fixed? ManuelG from Nvidia was still stating that this requires a Windows Update to fix after this new driver dropped.

Nvidia forum post

I thought it was at the OS level that the issue exist. When I first downloaded that creators update it rebaked havoc on my system where nothing would display on my TV. Had to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back it for an image to show up and it looked like shit. Had it turned off at the OS level since then because it makes desktop and web browsing horrid looking.

scitek

When people say HDR's fucked, they mean you can't just toggle it on and off in-game like before the Creator's Update. Now, you have to toggle it on at the OS level before the in-game option can even be selected. It's never stopped working, you just have that extra step now, and it seems that's still the case.

All I can say is HDR has not worked for around 3 months since Creators, I've tried every driver release, and aside from 378, this is the first one that works.

I seem to be having a problem getting HDR working at all. All you have to do is change it to 4:2:2 and 10 bit color, right? And it should auto detect?

I've got an LG C7 and am running a 1080 ti, and the only game I've been able to have my tv auto switch to HDR with is Nex Machina. Hitman tells me that HDR can't be detected (or something similar, can't remember the exact wording) and toggling HDR on with both Bayonetta and Vanquish doesn't do a damn thing.

Am I missing something?

I seem to be having a problem getting HDR working at all. All you have to do is change it to 4:2:2 and 10 bit color, right? And it should auto detect?

I've got an LG C7 and am running a 1080 ti, and the only game I've been able to have my tv auto switch to HDR with is Nex Machina. Hitman tells me that HDR can't be detected (or something similar, can't remember the exact wording) and toggling HDR on with both Bayonetta and Vanquish doesn't do a damn thing.

Am I missing something?

Hi again ;)

Apart from making sure you have HDMI deep colour set to on, turning HDR on flips it to HDR mode on my set.

Btw those games you listed aren't HDR in the HDR you're thinking about. It's the old faux HDR that is to do with the in game lighting.

Apparently hitman does have the HDR you're trying to use, just need to make sure it is running in exclusive fullscreen before turning on HDR

ONLY two games I've tried on pc are RE7 and alien isolation and both switch the TV To HDR once I turn the setting in game on.

data

Am I missing something?

Bayo and Vanquish don't have the kind of HDR you're thinking of.

Alebelly

ManuelGuzman from Nvidia:

Windows 10 Creators Update HDR implementation overrides our HDR API so there is nothing we can do. Fine tuning of HDR on Windows 10 will come over time in future Windows Updates.

Hi again ;)

Apart from making sure you have HDMI deep colour set to on, turning HDR on flips it to HDR mode on my set.

Btw those games you listed aren't HDR in the HDR you're thinking about. It's the old faux HDR that is to do with the in game lighting.

LOL My TV questions never end.

Exclusive fullscreen got it working. Thanks.

And I assumed that Bayonetta/Vanquish's "HDR" meant actual "HDR". This whole thing is a confusing mess on PC, and poorly implemented. I get why people like consoles.

I'm tempted to give ME: Andromeda a shot just to see how it looks. Shame it's apparently an abysmal game.

Is HDR something that has to be built into the monitor or can a company provide a driver for it? I bought a 1440p G Sync monitor last year and it doesn't have HDR and I'm damn sure not spending $500 plus on another one.

You won't ever get HDR on that monitor

Fuuuuuck...
mjgrin.png
Oh well. I'll just get to enjoy HDR in like 5-6 years when I decide to get a new monitor then.

mjcry1.png

Paz

Fuuuuuck...
mjgrin.png
Oh well. I'll just get to enjoy HDR in like 5-6 years when I decide to get a new monitor then.

mjcry1.png

If it makes you feel any better there are no low latency gsync 1440p HDR monitors in existence that I know of, let alone at the 500 dollar mark.

For now I have my TV for nice HDR IQ and my 1440p gsync monitor for amazing gaming responsiveness and I think that's as good as it'll get for a couple years at least.

Alexious

Apparently hitman does have the HDR you're trying to use, just need to make sure it is running in exclusive fullscreen before turning on HDR

ONLY two games I've tried on pc are RE7 and alien isolation and both switch the TV To HDR once I turn the setting in game on.

I have exclusive fullscreen and it's still not working for me with the LG B7 OLED.

Durante

ManuelGuzman from Nvidia:

Windows 10 Creators Update HDR implementation overrides our HDR API so there is nothing we can do. Fine tuning of HDR on Windows 10 will come over time in future Windows Updates.
So basically Microsoft dropped a half-baked HDR implementation with Windows 10 Creator's update that even broke Nvidia's existing implementation which worked fine even before Windows knew what HDR is. Way to go.

For now I have my TV for nice HDR IQ and my 1440p gsync monitor for amazing gaming responsiveness and I think that's as good as it'll get for a couple years at least.
If you don't mind paying the price, 200 Hz full array local dimming 1000 nits HDR 3440x1440 displays should be out by the end of the year. (I'm waiting for that)

Cerbero

So basically Microsoft dropped a half-baked HDR implementation with Windows 10 Creator's update that even broke Nvidia's existing implementation which worked fine even before Windows knew what HDR is. Way to go.

If you don't mind paying the price, 200 Hz full array local dimming 1000 nits HDR 3440x1440 displays should be out by the end of the year. (I'm waiting for that)

I don't know if this is related or not, but since the creator's update i can't play most games at 1080p (at 4K everything works just fine) on my 4K TV anymore, the picture is moved to the right and the image is green and pink, it used to work just fine before the CU, note that i use the 4:2:0 chroma subsampling because my 10 meters long 18gbps hdmi cable can't apparently handle more than that at 4K/60hz.
I tried to set the scaling on the GPU instead of on the TV but no luck.

Alexious

I just got it working myself. What have you tried so far?

For Hitman specifically I found that it needs to be in DX11 not DX12 for HDR.

I'm using DX11 and Exclusive Fullscreen, not sure what more needs to be done. I have HDR disabled in Windows settings, but that shouldn't be a requirement, right?

MazeHaze

Banned
I'm using DX11 and Exclusive Fullscreen, not sure what more needs to be done. I have HDR disabled in Windows settings, but that shouldn't be a requirement, right?
I think HDR in hitman is broken currently. It used to work great for me, but I booted the game up last week and it was all fucked up. I think it had something to do with exclusive full screen being wonky iirc.

I also rolled back from the creators update immediately, as that shit broke the fuck out of my set up. It kept popping my TV into HDR mode randomly, and then eventually not displaying at all.

For hitman, I could get it to detect HDR, but the slider wouldn't change anything, HDR wasn't actually being displayed, and iirc running exclusive fullscreen was locking me to 30fps as well.

Shadow Warrior 2 still works fine.

Wag

Is there a way to get ME Andromeda in HDR working? I have a 1080 Ti and a Samsung TV and I can't figure it out. It doesn't flip in to HDR mode when I run the game. I've tried everything.

Afro

Does this fix G-Sync not working in full screen mode w/ the Creator's Update or has that already been addressed?

Top Bottom