• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Mithos

JoshuaJSlone said:
It's easy to understand why one needs the new Shop Channel, but what good does the IOS51 update do?

It's needed to use the new and updated Wii-Shop-Channel.

markatisu

TunaLover said:
The new sound core works like a dream :D

Yes it does, I was impressed with how much smoother and better it sounds compared to the previous 2 versions.

It still has some issues but the change in everything (load times, sound, graphics) from 1.02 to 1.04 is vastly improved

As far as the updates to everything else go, I did the standalone Wii Shop Channel and IOS51 patch and then opted not to upgrade the Homebrew Channel, that way I can continue to use all my old apps....but it gets annoying having to say No to the HBC update everytime (I am too lazy to worry about fixing Gecko OS and any other app that may need it)

larvi

rocK` said:
I'd be jealous of you if I didn't play it religiously in my bed with my PSP before I sleep ;)

Call me silly, but personally I prefer playing my GBA games on my GBA SP when I'm not playing on a big screen.

I'm trying to use Menu Loader to play some imported GCN games, but the app just kicks me out to the Homebrew Channel after i launch it.

I'm on the latest firmware. Just installed the HBC with no problems through the Zelda hack.

so...thinking about trying this out. i plan on renting TP from blockbuster this weekend.

anything i should know beforehand? is it ok to do the latest system update?

markatisu

I have no idea how I missed that one! Thanks!

No problem, glad it worked out!

You missed it probably because its really really old as far as Homebrew apps go, most people I don't think use it but its a good 2nd option if you cannot get your games loaded with Menu Loader.

biggyfries said:
anything i should know beforehand? is it ok to do the latest system update?

I would install the homebrew stuff BEFORE doing the latest system update, just to be on the safe side and avoid any problems.

Besides that most everything is working with a few tweaks here and there (like Gecko OS needing some files converted)

viciouskillersquirrel said:
An import copy of Wind Waker, huh? Imported from where?

I live in Europe, so it's an american version. ;)

I refuse to believe that the game has these levels of jaggies when played on a GameCube though, it's almost unbearable.

FoxHimself said:
I live in Europe, so it's an american version. ;)

I refuse to believe that the game has these levels of jaggies when played on a GameCube though, it's almost unbearable.
Oh. It's just that I've been trying to get the PAL version working on a US Gamecube, but I'm getting no love. :|

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I had been following WiiBrew.org for months and managed to experience lots of homebrew games and applications. Today I decided to check for new things in the community and to my shock a new application was designed. What this application does should be common knowledge, not sure if we are allowed to discuss specifics on it, but it still infuriates me that nice things are fucked by some greedy bastards.*breathes in*

So, I played some Doom and Quake and the new Pong .8 version. Had fun times =). I am sad though (not trolling) that my enjoyment has been coming from these apps designed by other people. I haven't purchased a Wii game in nearly 6 months and none of the recent releases appeal to me.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Relix said:
Today I decided to check for new things in the community and to my shock a new application was designed. What this application does should be common knowledge, not sure if we are allowed to discuss specifics on it, but it still infuriates me

Hmm... I assume it's some sort of propiracy thing, if it infuriates you.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
DavidDayton said:
Hmm... I assume it's some sort of propiracy thing, if it infuriates you.

The guys that coded the TP hack didn't desire this, and even I remember some of them contacting Nintendo to fix the holes. If I were the original programmers I would stop all development in protest of this. Also, the app was released to the public without the consent of the programmer and he decided to stop coding it so I assume it's something basic that barely works.

And yes, I am entirely anti-piracy. If you can't pay $50 for a game then save up and pay later but don't go around stealing like a common thief.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Relix said:
The guys that coded the TP hack didn't desire this, and even I remember some of them contacting Nintendo to fix the holes. If I were the original programmers I would stop all development in protest of this. Also, the app was released to the public without the consent of the programmer and he decided to stop coding it so I assume it's something basic that barely works.

And yes, I am entirely anti-piracy. If you can't pay $50 for a game then save up and pay later but don't go around stealing like a common thief.

Oh, I agree, I just hadn't heard about new piracy stuff. I assume the information is out there in the less-than-friendly places... I knew something must be easier when I stumbled across a collection of WiiWare "WADs" this week. It annoyed me.

Okay, I'm a newbie to the Wii homebrew scene. I've been able to install the Homebrew Channel, but have been unable to install an application I'm eager to get up and running; the VisualBoyAdvance emulator. How would I go about doing this? Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Linkhero1

GamerGeorge said:
Okay, I'm a newbie to the Wii homebrew scene. I've been able to install the Homebrew Channel, but have been unable to install an application I'm eager to get up and running; the VisualBoyAdvance emulator. How would I go about doing this? Thanks in advance for the help. :)
Create an "apps" folder on your SD card and place the application in there. Once you do that place the SD card back into your Wii and launch homebrew channel. The app should show.

Relix said:
I think that was the first step. Hell, I think most Virtual Console games can be downloaded through these WADs.

I really hope Nintendo does something about this.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Linkhero1 said:
Create an "apps" folder on your SD card and place the application in there. Once you do that place the SD card back into your Wii and launch homebrew channel. The app should show.

I really hope Nintendo does something about this.

Nintendo's inexperience is showing, they haven't been able to fix the problems. The last update almost broke the homebrew installing process, but the programmers managed to find a work around. Don't get me wrong, I am entirely pro-homebrew, and I wouldn't like the holes fixed, but if it's to avoid pirates then so be it.

Linkhero1

Relix said:
Nintendo's inexperience is showing, they haven't been able to fix the problems. The last update almost broke the homebrew installing process, but the programmers managed to find a work around. Don't get me wrong, I am entirely pro-homebrew, and I wouldn't like the holes fixed, but if it's to avoid pirates then so be it.
As of now I don't think it matters what Nintendo does. Pirates will always find a way around. If there's a big update they'll just pull this. They can update without the patches. =/

itxaka

Defeatist
Relix said:

You mean the backup loader? that was thanks to waninkoko and was done a few weeks ago and recently a new one based on his work was launched.

I actually exchanged some pm with him, but he is a bastard. He released the method to obtaining and installing wads (the VC and wiiware channels) and was like "Oh I'm sorry, didn't know" and after that he went and started working on a backup loader. facepalm.jpg

Team twiizers stopped all contact and info sharing with him.

Also, he has a contract with a modchip maker AND a webpage so...you can expect much more from the piracy side from him. I hope nintendo gets him real soon. BTW, he still have his photos all over the net...easy way to get caught by Nintendo XD

Threi

notag
Backup loaders have been around for a while IIRC. However they require a custom IOS to use, so they won't become a major problem...yet.

WiiWare and VC titles are very easily accessed and installed though. I think that was what Nintendo was trying to prevent in the latest firmware version, but i doubt it really did anything.

Vagabundo

Threi said:
Backup loaders have been around for a while IIRC. However they require a custom IOS to use, so they won't become a major problem...yet.

WiiWare and VC titles are very easily accessed and installed though. I think that was what Nintendo was trying to prevent in the latest firmware version, but i doubt it really did anything.

They are not inherently evil, I wouldn't mind being able to launch all my Wii games from a hard drive. Beats hunting around under my TV cabinet.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Threi said:

So what is this custom IOS? A signing? Nintendo can detect changes on it?

itxaka said:
You mean the backup loader? that was thanks to waninkoko and was done a few weeks ago and recently a new one based on his work was launched.

I actually exchanged some pm with him, but he is a bastard. He released the method to obtaining and installing wads (the VC and wiiware channels) and was like "Oh I'm sorry, didn't know" and after that he went and started working on a backup loader. facepalm.jpg

Team twiizers stopped all contact and info sharing with him.

Also, he has a contract with a modchip maker AND a webpage so...you can expect much more from the piracy side from him. I hope nintendo gets him real soon. BTW, he still have his photos all over the net...easy way to get caught by Nintendo XD

This is interesting.

Linkhero1

Does Menu Loader work with HBC Beta 9?

Edit: I'm freaking out now. GeckoOS isn't working for me and neither is Menu Loader.

Edit #2: I re-downloaded GeckoOS and it loaded. Still worried if imports would work or not seeing as I don't have any imported games to test it out with.

Edit #3: Yeah it looks like I screwed myself by updating my Wii. :(

Edit #4: As long as the launch feature still works I'm happy. :)

Linkhero1

viciouskillersquirrel said:
It doesn't? I updated with official firmware when someone here said that HBC and all the apps still work!
I did the same :(

Nuke, the creator of GeckoOS, is working on a solution but he says it seems Nintendo has gotten smarter. It's harder for him to make a newer one, so it may take a while. Also Team Twizzer, HBC and Menu Loader creators, will probably find a fix for it within a couple of weeks.

Now I learned not to update my Wii, even if a bunch of people say it's ok. :(

Linkhero1

I got somewhat good news. You should be able to play imported games through GeckoOS with the launch feature. Hopefully they come up with a fix for the Reboot feature.

markatisu

Linkhero1 said:
Now I learned not to update my Wii, even if a bunch of people say it's ok. :(

Well to be honest the Wii Homebrew (WiiBrew) page specifically says not to update till all the options have been checked out
Notice: At this time, WiiBrew recommends that you do not update your Wii through Nintendo, as it disables some homebrew.

Instead, you should use the Wii Shop and IOS51 installer to update and prevent anything from being disabled.

If you were really concerned about being able to use Gecko OS you probably should have just done the Wii Shop/IOS51 installer and not updated to the newest Homebrew Channel

I am sure they will figure everything out though, they always have and it does not appear that Nintendo did anything super duper to lock down the exploits....just time consuming

The fact they got the Homebrew Channel and most of the apps running under the newest firmware is a positive sign

Linkhero1

markatisu said:
Well to be honest the Wii Homebrew (WiiBrew) page specifically says not to update till all the options have been checked out

If you were really concerned about being able to use Gecko OS you probably should have just done the Wii Shop/IOS51 installer and not updated to the newest Homebrew Channel

I am sure they will figure everything out though, they always have and it does not appear that Nintendo did anything super duper to lock down the exploits....just time consuming

The fact they got the Homebrew Channel and most of the apps running under the newest firmware is a positive sign
I didn't go there. Several people with hbc installed updated their Wiis and claimed everything worked fine, so I thought everything worked fine :(

Linkhero1

Is there any way of downgrading firmware? I don't plan on doing it if it's not safe or if it won't change anything at all.

markatisu

Linkhero1 said:
Is there any way of downgrading firmware? I don't plan on doing it if it's not safe or if it won't change anything at all.

I think there is a way to downgrade certain IOS, but I know you can really mess up your system from the things I have read. As was mentioned above you could try this

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Starfall

My best suggestion would be just to wait it out, the fact the Homebrewers know things need to be fixed is encouraging so its just a matter of time till they can at least get things back to the state they were in prior to the last system update

Linkhero1

markatisu said:
I think there is a way to downgrade certain IOS, but I know you can really mess up your system from the things I have read. As was mentioned above you could try this

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Starfall

My best suggestion would be just to wait it out, the fact the Homebrewers know things need to be fixed is encouraging so its just a matter of time till they can at least get things back to the state they were in prior to the last system update
Yeah I'm just going to wait it out. As long as the launcher still works I'm happy.

Edit: I saw Starfall but I'm scared I'd mess something up so I'll wait it out. Team Twiizer is really talented so they'll probably come up with a fix within a few weeks.

Linkhero1

Ok I'm going to buy a Wii from this one guy, the only thing is that he has 3.1U on the Wii. Is there a way I can update it to 3.2U because I don't think any game comes with 3.2U or can I update to 3.3U from a game instead?

HUELEN10

Linkhero1 said:
Ok I'm going to buy a Wii from this one guy, the only thing is that he has 3.1U on the Wii. Is there a way I can update it to 3.2U because I don't think any game comes with 3.2U or can I update to 3.3U from a game instead?
Wii Music has the safe 3.3.

Also, Brawl has 3.2.

Linkhero1

HUELEN10 said:
Wii Music has the safe 3.3.

Also, Brawl has 3.2.
Well I'm going to wait before I purchase anything. I just want to make sure I can play import games with my Wii. I know the launch works for the GeckoOS but last time I tried it with a game, the game wouldn't load (this is before updating it). I guess I'll just play the waiting game. The thing is, the Wii I found is probably the cheapest I can find with old firmware.

HUELEN10

Linkhero1 said:
Well I'm going to wait before I purchase anything. I just want to make sure I can play import games with my Wii. I know the launch works for the GeckoOS but last time I tried it with a game, the game wouldn't load (this is before updating it). I guess I'll just play the waiting game. The thing is, the Wii I found is probably the cheapest I can find with old firmware.
Just wait for it. I am sure something WILL turn up!

Linkhero1

HUELEN10 said:
Just keep visiting wiibrew and this thread. Everything is gonna be alright now.

Good luck!
Thanks

OT: Why are you still a junior, I think you were here long enough to gain member status.

Top Bottom