• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread (READ MOD POST)

Slaythe

Its a decent ME game that just doesn't live up to expectations from what ive played. But in no way is it a 3.2 or even close to that.

Well depends what you're looking for. If you're into combat and MP sure.

If you're into immersion, storytelling, lively characters, visuals and deep choices, You're gonna have a rough time, unless your standards are very low.

Revas

Well depends what you're looking for. If you're into combat and MP sure.

If you're into immersion, storytelling, lively characters, visuals and deep choices, You're gonna have a rough time, unless your standards are very low.

It's not 3.2 low, and that's really the point.

I may have low standards, so I'd give Andromeda a borderline 7.5/8 as a Mass Effect game.

Bizzquik

The game is reviewing a lot better than I expected, I'm genuinely curious about it now

Really? You expected lower than average scores?=O

Yeah, I agree with Timu.
Exactly how low were you expecting for a Mass Effect sequel?

Even after the Trial shed light on a lot of problems, many of us were hoping for better; that the game would grow and find its groove after the introductory 'welcome to a new RPG' hours of gameplay tutorials, lore establishment, and squad-mate familiarity. But it sounds like that unfortunately doesn't happen.

jdstorm

Banned
It's amazing how people is shitting on the new characters as if they were expecting them to be as good as Garrus, Wrex,Liara, Tali, etc . For god's sake people, we all love the ME1 cast so much because of ME2. Because we could see them being developed.

Garrus went from space police to "The hero Omega deserves"

Liara went from "b-but mom" to "have you faced an asari commando unit, BITCH?

Wrex went from -"Shepurd"-"Wrex" to "Shepuuuuuurd, my friend!"

It's not fair to compare those chars with the new ones from andromeda. My gosh give'em a chance.

I miss them SO MUCH :_

This is completely untrue. At least for me. Mass effect 2 basically character assasinates half of your crew. (Survivor of Kaiden/Ash, Garrus and Liara) While both Wrex and Shepard are potentially dead before the end of Mass Effect 2s opening act.

Salarian Captain Kirahee only really appears in ME1. Yet he's beloved for that appearance alone.

The only ME1 character that is better because of ME2 is Tali, who starts out so young that she gets a nice growth arc. ME2 introduces some good squadmates and but at least half are disposable.

NoPiece

This is completely untrue. At least for me. Mass effect 2 basically character assasinates half of your crew. (Survivor of Kaiden/Ash, Garrus and Liara) While both Wrex and Shepard are potentially dead before the end of Mass Effect 2s opening act.

Salarian Captain Kirahee only really appears in ME1. Yet he's beloved for that appearance alone.

The only ME1 character that is better because of ME2 is Tali, who starts out so young that she gets a nice growth arc. ME2 introduces some good squadmates and but at least half are disposable.

I agree, I don't see how people can say Liara, for example, was better in ME2 when she was barely in it. It was really weird at the time because she was one of the key crew in ME1, and then in ME2 she just sat a desk for most of the game and would barely acknowledge you. Same with Ashley (and I suppose Kaiden, if he was saved in your game). The disconnect between the relationships you build in ME1 and ME2 was one of the main things that put me off about the game.

Prologue

As you can see by my avatar, really sad to hear about the review scores. I'll check out the game for myself and make my own opinion, but still upset about the overall reception.

I understand that its a different team developing the title, but at the same time, you have three previous games to look at for a reference. You also have other successful /critically acclaimed titles to look at in the genre, such as Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Breath of the Wild and Horizon. So I'm not exactly sure where the confusion lies for the lack of direction.

I don't mean to belittle their job/career. I'm sure its incredibly difficult, I can barely do basic math lol. Its just a franchise I hold dear and want whoever that picks up the mantle, to do right by it. When you have numerous examples to use as references, I'm just left scratching my head at bioware, wondering what went wrong to warrant ing and gamestop to give their title a 6/7.

For me, it's not that I look fondly at the characters from the original trilogy because they really had time to grow over the trilogy, it's mostly because so many of them had the benefit of being the primary source of learning about a new species in the game's universe for the first time. I was not only developing relationships with the characters, but also learning about the unique quirks and political and cultural history of their species in depth, with their personalities colouring how that history was presented. That's probably why the most memorable character in ME2 for me was Drell - because it felt new and full of possibility. Now, when I meet a Krogan or a Salarian or a Turian or Asari, I'm not hanging on every word the same way that I did early on in the first game, because I already kind of get to do the shorthand of "this is what a Krogan believes in generally, this is how this one differs in the game." When they talk about their species history now, it feels less like I'm learning or exploring this universe and more like bland exposition. But, I understand why you'd still need it for newcomers.

I just met the first new species (outside of enemies), and am hopefully that the new squadmate brings some of that to the table. I just wish there were 2-3 other new species to go along with it...

Yrlesh Raven

Neo Member
I'm honestly very discouraged and hesitant to spend $60 on something that is clearly not on the same level as the original trilogy. I'll wait for a bit before picking this up. Probably on xmas.

Abelard

This is going to sound kind of mean, but anyone else want to see this game get into the yellow on MC? It will make all the difference when chronicling Bioware's fall from grace.

LotusHD

Banned
This is going to sound kind of mean, but anyone else want to see this game get into the yellow on MC? It will make all the difference when chronicling Bioware's fall from grace.

Shame on you.

tumblr_om9bdr11s41r1uq0jo2_500.gif

Rambaldi

I'm barely into most of the game but I'm enjoying it so far. Huge ME fan and I've read everyone's "negative impressions" but I don't have the same hate boner for this game as most of the people posting about it.

My only complaint so far is I'm havi trouble getting adjusted to the jet pack jump button for whatever reason. Otherwise, I'm having fun.

Zok310

Banned
I gave it a good solid shot, sadly it's a disappointment. I'll give it a second go after a few patches.
Unbelievable

Vorheez

Do you guys think this would have reviewed differently ten years ago (outside of all the bugs)? I feel it is largely outdated, and that's part of the problem. There are so many games doing far more this gen.

BouncyFrag

Does the story pick up later on? Its pretty boring so far I'm 2 hrs in.
I was feeling the same way until I was made aware of secrets surrounding the developement of the pathfinder progam. Its compelling stuff and I really want to learn more about it.

Things also pick up once you get your scout ship and get to know the crew.

I think we should start a betting pool on whether he starts the video with, "You done fucked it up!"
Chances that he won't are about 1:10.
He is unforgiving for titles that screw up even if they come from one of his favorite series, see Total War Rome 2. Can't remember a time where he gave a game a higher score as a result of his love for the franchise/IP when he thought it didn't deserve it by its own faults and merits. He tries his best to do fair and unbiased reviews and succeeds at it most of the time.

My guess for Joe's review is a 6/10 score, same as Rome 2 (both very similar cases, though as a result to being a technical clusterfuck at release, Joe gave Rome 2 a 5/10 score for the pre-patch release version with the 6/10 score reflecting those issues having been fixed).

Gamezone

Gold Member
Wow @ the user review in metacritic.

The game is horrible. Just look what did guy had to go trough. He even went back to work.

User review:

I¨m a big fan of ME1 and 2 so I called in sick for work and prepared to spend the whole week playing ME: Andromeda. Never mind that, a few hours in and already felt sorely disappointed. Called my boss and said it must have been food poisoning and I already feel better. He is a gamer too and knew immediately what was up and laughed his ass off at me for looking forward to this "mess".

MTC100

Banned

It might eventually happen, it's barely in the green: Only 1% less and it's over. Also look at that user score. I fear BioWare will soon be disbanded by EA... -The sad part is, after ME:A only a few people would mourn their demise.

You're talking about the livelihoods of hundreds of people. I think that does more than just sound mean.

Listening to the bombcast from yesterday. Wow.

I have so much respect for Jeff and Brad and listening to them savage a game pretty hard that I'm actively enjoying feels......weird. I'm usually pretty aligned with those guys.

Sounds like Brad has had an extremely buggy time. "Maybe the buggiest triple A game I've ever played."

Yeesh.

HvySky

Having fun with it so far. Yeah there's some animation jankiness but the story seems intriguing and the combat is the best it's ever been. Multiplayer is pretty fucking awesome, too.

*shrugs*

Are you for real?

You're talking about the livelihoods of hundreds of people. I think that does more than just sound mean.

Bingo. This is the shit people need to keep in mind. It's not some big mindless corporation trying to suck money out of you.

It's people who pour their heart and soul into games and don't intentionally go "let's make this super shitty and wreck a franchise while we're at it, that'll help the long term success of our company."

Shit drives me crazy. You can absolutely be objectively critical of a game for its shortcomings. That helps them make better games in the future. And a lot of voices helps EA/Bioware understand it isn't just a vocal minority.

But this weird dog pile on Bioware that's happening where people are hoping EA drags Bioware out behind the shed is absolutely insane. Walk a mile in the shoes you know? Imagine if you fuck up at work and all of a sudden people publicly, vocally hope your company goes out of business so they "learn their lesson." It's crazy.

People are being kind of heartless about this game and i just can't wrap my head around why. I get people are passionate about the franchise, but some of it seems so misguided.

Stranya

Mass Effect is Bioware's premier IP, I thought this would be a slam-dunk - particularly with the opportunity to start a fresh story etc. There must have been some difficulties behind the scenes, surely?

Abelard

What score dips into yellow?

For the record, I do.

On metacritic, that would mean just 1 percent less.

I don't think that just one percent will make a difference to people's livelihoods at all, rather the difference between a 74 and 75 is huge in terms of pure symbolism, like if you were to line up BioWare's past 5 games, it would be jarring.

emag

Do you guys think this would have reviewed differently ten years ago (outside of all the bugs)? I feel it is largely outdated, and that's part of the problem. There are so many games doing far more this gen.

Sure, it compares favorably to games from 2007 in many regards. The UI would still be criticized, as would the mining/crafting/fetch quests, but the graphics would get a thumbs-up and the combat would be lauded as amazing (three years before Vanquish).

That said, I'm not sure that relying on time travel to raise MC scores is a winning strategy. ;)

Does the story pick up later on? Its pretty boring so far I'm 2 hrs in.

Yeah, well, sort of.

It's like a Wonder Woman in Batman v Superman situation: people latch on to the bright spot because the stuff surrounding it is so mediocre. So while the story does pick up, it's mostly the contrast with the tedious build-up that makes it enjoyable - when you pause to think think it over, it's barely above okay and full of missed opportunities.

On metacritic, that would mean just 1 percent less.

I don't think that just one percent will make a difference to people's livelihoods at all, rather the difference between a 74 and 75 is huge in terms of pure symbolism, like if you were to line up BioWare's past 5 games, it would be jarring.

I don't think the point being made is about the score.

The point is, what good comes from wishing for games/studios to be bad or perform poorly?

How much the metacritic changes doesn't matter. I can't grasp, in what world, does wishing bad on others help anyone? What does anyone gain from that?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
One noticeable problem with the game is even worse once a story revelation comes. Not sure if I should post it spoilered here or not since this isn't the main game thread and the game just came out

If anyone wants to know PM me.

butman

It's really an unusual case since the game was scored based on 20 critics (now there's 38) the score didn't move from 75.

Do "normal" consumers actually look at metacritic? GAF loves to talk about it, but none of my friends really know what it is. The few that even look at reviews will just go to IGN/Gamespot

butman

It's now at 74(with 39 critics) if anyone cares.

This one made the change:
Push Square Mar 22, 2017
Mass Effect deserves better than Andromeda. The series has stumbled into a new generation, weighed down by tedious open world tropes and a catalogue of performance issues on the PS4. That said, it's not quite the disaster that some would have you believe. There really is a good Mass Effect game here, complete with endearing characters and great combat, but it's buried beneath a mountain of unnecessary clutter. In time, patches may sort many of its problems out, but until then, we can only recommend Andromeda to the BioWare faithful.

Do "normal" consumers actually look at metacritic? GAF loves to talk about it, but none of my friends really know what it is. The few that even look at reviews will just go to IGN/Gamespot

Dat Gamespot review

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I find it hilarious that many initially worried that the game will have a general map layout and quest design to DA:I. The devs said, "No, we learned from DA:I and it will not be like that." The game releases and the map and quest designs appear to be a lot like DA:I...

One of the quest designs I truly hated about Inquisition, other than the severe collectathon nature of all the quests, was how almost every quest and side quest often sent you repeatedly back an forth across large zones. I hate getting a side mission that sends me across a large mostly barren map, content wise, in order to talk to a person or collect an item; then to receive another quests that sends me all the way back across the map again ad nauseum.

Anyway, it looks like many of the issues this game is suffering from have very clear paths to rectification. It stinks that it will be years before we'll probably see the best version of Mass Effect this new team has to offer. Hopefully, this game sells well enough to warrant an immediate sequel.
Are you not bringing down forward stations? You can just fast travel between these points within seconds.

m_dorian

How do we know how a "normal" consumer is defined and what is the measure that defines them?
A normal consumer uses the internet for information or not?

Top Bottom