• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone here (still) playing Wangan Midnight 5?

5DX ghost battles.

They just updated the English / Asia cabinets of Wangan Midnight Maximum Tune 5 to 5DX. That means extra cars, tracks and YUZO KOSHIRO BANGERS. Japan had it for a while of course.

The main thing different in 5 DX compared to 5 is the new shop system. Now you earn gold every level in Ghost Battle to buy dress up parts for your car. The game still gives you free parts at most levels. There's basically a ton more parts now.

There's also stamp collecting and backgrounds for your terminal homepage. It's kind of silly.

My main car is a 600 horsepower level blue RX7 FD named Eric under Team Hibiki. Race me because I need stamps.

Matticers

I've always wanted to play one of these games. They look really fun and Yuzo is amazing. It's all arcade only, right? No way to play the newer ones in any form at home?

I was more of an Initial D player then Midnight Wangan but it was always fun to have all these high powered cars running on the Wangan lol. To bad there are no arcades around me that has the game. Most of the arcade only have Initial D and the older Wangan games.

I kinda got lucky out here because they opened an arcade and a bowling entertainment complex with decent arcade selection within the last 12 months.

I'll try and get some good quality video of me playing poorly.

COUPLE OF EDITS. I'll bold the new info.

Quick info bump. There's a scan of the arcade flyer out.

9 new cars, so far announced is the Honda NSX NA1 and 2017, Lamborghini Countach LP400 and Aventador.
1 new course (Hiroshima).
Updated campaign mode.
Japanese players can race against International version Ghosts.
2v2 tag battles in Events, similar to Initial D AA Stage.
Launch date is rumoured to be December 2016.

squall23

Oh good, I just got back to Hong Kong. Look for Kaius in your list of stamp friends, although I'll be using a fully tuned R34 or EVO8 as a warning.

yyr

Still playing? I wish I could play this game at all.

Here on the east coast of the USA, all I've got within reasonable driving distance is Maxi3. Not even 3DX, just 3. It was a blast while it lasted, but I played through it probably about...7 or 8 years ago.

I've imported all of the soundtracks, including the anniversary box. I'm so hungry for this game. Maybe the fact that there hasn't been a proper new Ridge Racer in 10 years is part of it, but I am very, very hungry for this game.

I really don't see why Namco refuses to just make a CS version of an older Maxi, maybe 4. It wouldn't disrupt their business, and millions of people would finally get to enjoy THE best driving game in the world (or damn close).

I really don't see why Namco refuses to just make a CS version of an older Maxi, maybe 4. It wouldn't disrupt their business, and millions of people would finally get to enjoy THE best driving game in the world (or damn close).
International Maxi 4 and 5 run on ES1, so I don't know why there couldn't be an offline version that's swaps out Dead Heat cabs or whatever.

There's a Dead Heat machine locally and I don't see anyone playing that.

cj_iwakura

International Maxi 4 and 5 run on ES1, so I don't know why there couldn't be an offline version that's swaps out Dead Heat cabs or whatever.

Because Dead Heat is, for lack of a better word, casual trash.

yyr

I wonder why?

lololololol

The heat isn't the only thing that's dead about that game.

We were so sad when we saw that game here. It was like "start with Maximum Tune! ...now take out the card system, the highways, the modes, the vehicles, and oh yeah, the fun"

Because Dead Heat is, for lack of a better word, casual trash.

dudley-rose.gif

squall23

Because how would people keep their cars? Bamco would have to make a specialized version of the game that doesn't need a Banapass, which I would love but would never happen.

Also, I wish normal ghost battles would give stamps. Having such a limited amount of people to play against is garbage.

Top Bottom