• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD has released an open source Fraps clone with Vulkan and D3D12 support.

jmga

AMD-Crimson-ReLive-Edition-Praesentation-Slide13.jpg

The source is not uploaded yet, but you can download the app from its github page:
Https://github.com/GPUOpen-Tools/OCAT/releases

It works with any hardware, not only AMD's. It supports D3D9, OpenGL, D3D11, D3D12 and Vulkan.

The best thing about Fraps is its benchmark tool, there is no other user friendly benchmark tool that lets you export the results to a spreadsheet and draw charts with them.

Well, this new tool pushes that feature to a whole new level, providing a lot more data.

vk6lKzv.png

Time to put Fraps to rest!

chrislowe

How do you get the framerate from those numbers? do you need todo some calculation or can you export framerates in numbers straight away (cant see any framerate column)

fester

Banned
Great timing as I was annoyed with how long it's been since Fraps was last updated and recently started looking for a decent replacement.

jmga

How do you get the framerate from those numbers? do you need todo some calculation or can you export framerates in numbers straight away (cant see any framerate column)

1000000 / Time Between Presents

Don't know why it says milliseconds but they are clearly nanoseconds.

Thraktor

1000000 / Time Between Presents

Don't know why it says milliseconds but they are clearly nanoseconds.

They're microseconds (unless they're somehow running Witcher 3 at 60,000 fps). Technically they should be using µ as a prefix, but it's an understandable error, and unlikely to cause any issues once people actually look at the results.

jmga

Does this have a framerate counter like fraps that shows on screen?

Yes.

drwMiAR.png

They're microseconds (unless they're somehow running Witcher 3 at 60,000 fps). Technically they should be using µ as a prefix, but it's an understandable error, and unlikely to cause any issues once people actually look at the results.

My bad, I skipped from 10^-3 to 10^-9.

Baleoce

Thanks, I'll check this out.

EDIT - That's pretty funny, I just chose a custom installation directory, and it just went nope, and installed it in the default place anyway xD

DieH@rd

Banned
This is a good way to promote PresentMon [great open source monitoring tool]. AMD has taken it [since licence allows for that] and built a custom GUI over it.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This is a good way to promote PresentMon [great open source monitoring tool]. AMD has taken it [since licence allows for that] and built a custom GUI over it.

Great for idiots like me, I like a nice GUI :p

To be fair I could use Presentmon without issue but I'm also a lazy bastard, this is great

Baleoce

Is this purely for benchmarking or does it capture as well? The "fraps clone" bit is throwing me off. I've installed it, but it just seems to do benchmarking.

chrislowe

I tried hitting F11 in game, but nothing happened... Then I noticed you had to push Start-button before hitting F11, no idea why they thought that would be a good idea.

Imported the CSV into Google Sheets, and got a average fps of 60.45 in Far Cry 4 at 1080P Ultra.

Gonna try more games later :)

chrislowe

A little tip is to turn off ocat when you dont use it.

I saw the gpu was never going below 900MHz which was odd, until I turned off ocat, and it dropped to 300MHz as usual.

tuxfool

Banned
The way the OP was written I thought this tool was a new capture software. Back to OBT it is.

Who still uses FRAPS in this day and age to capture video?

Unless you're capturing lossless samples to analyse, you'd be using some sort of hardware encoder in order to reduce the load and storage requirements.

Top Bottom