• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam link in a dorm setting?

TI82

Banned
Does anyone have any idea how the steam link works for things like a dorm network? I have it connected via ethernet, it has an IP and mac address but no browser to authenticate myself for actual internet connection.

The Wart

Steam link doesn't need to be connected to the internet, it just needs to be on a local network with your computer. Ethernet connection should be fine.

The only potential issue is updates. Not sure if you can update the steam link without connecting it to the internet directly.

TI82

Banned
Steam link doesn't need to be connected to the internet, it just needs to be on a local network with your computer. Ethernet connection should be fine.

The only potential issue is updates. Not sure if you can update the steam link without connecting it to the internet directly.

I connected to my phone as a wifi hotspot and got updated, still can't see my PC or any PC on the network.

DesiacX

To my knowledge, a dorm network wouldn't allow devices to know each other existed and connect to each other on the same network (Network Isolation?), so hooking up the steam link through it would be futile. If it has an IP and both it and you computer are connected to the dorm network, try to ping it.

Top Bottom