• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest Heroes II |OT| Alas, Thou Art getting a Switch Port Hero

Tohsaka

How do you access the DLC weapons? I've done a couple story missions and talked to the NPCs in the city, but none of them have given them to me or anything.

Momentary

Banned
I had a feeling you weren't kidding. One video didn't do much for me, but 3 videos open in the background did the trick. What the heck, eh? Wow.

You'll be fine once they patch whatever is causing the bottleneck.

The sad thing is that Omega Force has never released a performance patch for any of their games. The only things they have ever pushed are DLC updates. I'm heading home now to check out how this performs for me.

cwistofu

How do you access the DLC weapons? I've done a couple story missions and talked to the NPCs in the city, but none of them have given them to me or anything.
Didn't you have to talk to someone to get the items "delivered" to you in the first game?

I just hit the "open world" and it's maintaining 60 fps for me..

i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
16GB DDR4 ram
Titan x Pascal

using nvidia 381.65 driver..

I get fairly low gpu usage.. like 60% (I haven't tried the youtube video trick yet) but I haven't dropped below 60 except when loading or in a tension scene (these drop to 30 just like the first game).

Playing w/ all settings on "high" in 4K

First impression is positive.. this confirms what I suspected when I saw the first one of these games.. the art style looks amazing rendered @ 4k resolution.

Will snap some pics later if Rayge doesn't.

I didn't preorder this on PS4 because I'd rather play on Switch, but since that demo ran like shit and it has no date I bought it anyway. I still need to finish the first

Anything for Pro owners?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Finally finished downloading!

I came into this blindly, thinking I'd be able to play the entire campaign cooperatively, but alas...

On the other hand, I had no idea the game was an open world, so that's a positive surprise.

Anyone have any advice/tips regarding skill points?

Can you waste them? Should I be using them on my starting class immediately or hoarding them?

Anyone else having issues with the teleport pads in the dungeons? I couldn't trigger the teleport thingie (you usually press A in the controller while standing on the pad) twice already, on an optional dungeon and a story mode section. Playing on PC.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I bought the game yesterday, but I'm not touching it till I platinum Persona 5.

Bladenic

Just about to start but trying to claim bonuses didn't give me anything. Is that how you get the DQH1 Heroes costume? I still have my save data.

anyway, who should I pick? Aurora was better than Lucius by a lot. I prefer Teresa's design here too but green dude looks alright plus he's dual wielding. Do they have different skills? I can't remember from the demo, but maybe the dude has ice?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Just about to start but trying to claim bonuses didn't give me anything. Is that how you get the DQH1 Heroes costume? I still have my save data.

anyway, who should I pick? Aurora was better than Lucius by a lot. I prefer Teresa's design here too but green dude looks alright plus he's dual wielding. Do they have different skills? I can't remember from the demo, but maybe the dude has ice?
Purple hair has ice IIRC, the opposite of the DQH1 heroes where male had fire and female had ice.

Momentary

Banned
Playing on:

Titan Xp @2064mhz
i76850K @ 4.4ghz

So if this is what I was getting Max @ 4K:
34234025256_19a8ccfdf2_k.jpg

Utilization fluctuated between 50 and 100. Before I updated to the newest NVIDIA drivers the FPS was in the 40s.

If you run OBS in preview mode then it causes the game to utilize the GPU more consistently. Here it is again Max @ 4K.

Also before I updated to the newest drivers the FPS was fluctuating between 55 and 60.

So as long as I have OBS running in the background the game runs fantastic. Other people on the STEAM forums says playing a youtube video in the background also works.

Some other notes:
Global Illumination and Volumetric Fog are performance hogs in this game. Turn GI to Medium or Low and Volumetric Fog to off will help. Performance hit with Volumetric Fog only seems to happen when enemies do an attack that causes a lot of dust.

Well... Teleporting to a dungeon from Quester's Rest brings the FPS down to sub 30's... I don't know why. GPU utilization also tanks... around 30-50%. This game is so busted.

Also the game shows up as a black screen half the time. I'm refunding this. I'm tired of trouble shooting Koei Tecmo PC ports.

Unison

This game is SUPERB.

Far better than the first game.

They've mixed up the tedious tower defense levels from the first game with open field exploration segments (with monster hunts, treasures to find, etc...) and show-stopping boss fights.

Love it, and I really didn't enjoy the first beyond the DQ fan service.

that's weird, Rayge.

Was it the first dimensional dungeon you get or a later one? when I teleported to the lv 3 maze, I got a slight framerate drop but it went back up to 60 very quickly and didn't drop from there while in the dungeon.

I'm pretty sure that my game is rendering at 4k.. I can see the steam overlay fps counter and RTSS get smaller and the image RTSS captures is significantly larger than when set the game to 1080p.. I have everything on high but the game never seems to drop from 60 for any significant length of time, despite the gpu usage not going over 60% (not that I've noticed, anyway)

Crevox

Was playing at 4k, was getting 45-60 FPS with a GTX 1080. It's 60 FPS outside of combat, but as soon as stuff starts happening, it's frequent stutters. I dropped the resolution to 1440p and it's a locked 60 FPS, maybe 58-59 in intense scenes. Absolutely no issues with the port on my end or any of my friends... only potential "issue" is whether or not the game should be hitting 4k 60, but shrug. Game looks amazing at 4k, would be nice to play it at that, need to see if I can tweak a couple settings or monitor GPU usage for this issue people are mentioning.

Any potential for SLI bits? There's gotta be some common one for all these OmegaForce games...

So any advice/suggestions on classes? Why do you want to change classes if you drop down to level 1? Is it easy to re-level? Also, if you have, say 25 skill points from leveling a warrior to lvl 10, and you switch to another class, can you use those points, or does each class have its own pool of skill points?

Lastly, is the Martial Artist staff any good?

Crevox

So any advice/suggestions on classes? Why do you want to change classes if you drop down to level 1? Is it easy to re-level? Also, if you have, say 25 skill points from leveling a warrior to lvl 10, and you switch to another class, can you use those points, or does each class have its own pool of skill points?

Lastly, is the Martial Artist staff any good?

Classes have skills called "All Vocation Skills" that will work on all of them. So, it can be considered beneficial to level up another class for something like an HP bonus you can use on your favorite class. Skill points do not transfer between classes, they all have their own pool. You may also want to switch classes for a different playstyle... for example, I am playing a mage.

It's probably easier to re-level just because you'll be fighting higher level monsters than you did before, you just need to be careful.

Never tried Martial Artist.

Skulldead

Asking a second time :) . Does this game feel a little harder then the first one ? the end game still as challenging and have massive content like DH1 ? It was my favorite part of the original, the Multiplayer fear me a little that they switch that content for that feature. Thank you

Crevox

I'm pretty sure that my game is rendering at 4k.. I can see the steam overlay fps counter and RTSS get smaller and the image RTSS captures is significantly larger than when set the game to 1080p.. I have everything on high but the game never seems to drop from 60 for any significant length of time, despite the gpu usage not going over 60% (not that I've noticed, anyway)

Just make sure DPI scaling is disabled on the exe and it should be fine. The only time it should be an issue is the many pre-rendered cutscenes, which is confusing the steam forums very much.

Asking a second time :) . Does this game feel a little harder then the first one ? the end game still as challenging and have massive content like DH1 ? It was my favorite part of the original, the Multiplayer fear me a little that they switch that content for that feature. Thank you

Pretty sure this game is expanded a lot in this area, but I never finished the first one.

Tohsaka

I think it's definitely harder than the first one so far.

Lanrutcon

Meh. Refunding this until they patch it.

Can't set the game to any resolution higher than your desktop. It _says_ it is higher, but it isn't. Defaults to 1080p with no AA, then looks terrible.

I bought the game yesterday, but I'm not touching it till I platinum Persona 5.

I'm just about to buy this in part because I'm souring on P5 fast but I've still got an unslaked thirst for JRPGs.

After P5's dungeon four I feel like the dungeons are getting longer and less interesting, and a more open, light-hearted adventure is feeling really appealing.

Navi

How does online play work? Can we start it at the beginning of the game or we gotta do certain conditions first?

Lanrutcon

You can if you change your desktop resolution.

I can, but running my desktop at 4k is super annoying and tiny. It seems like a very silly limitation I haven't encountered in other games before. Hopefully there's a patch. Or a sale. Whichever comes first.

Mudo

Quick impressions from 3 hours playing last night:

-graphics are wonderful. This is how i've wished and dreamed a Dragon Quest would look. The world is beautiful and bursting with color.

-Music is the usual DQ joygasm. It's great as always.

-Main characters are eh so far. The guy is sort of annoying but maybe a little charming too? Girl has been bettter.

-OMG TORNEKO! I am in love.

-So far this is the ultimate DQ fan service game i love all the characters/references

-The open world Wild zones are ok. Thus far they have been pretty barren with a couple items and lots of enemies maybe they get more varied later like little settlements or quests (ok there was 1 of those so far actually)

-I tried one of the maze dungeon things solo and it was pretty hard. i died at end and could not beat it.

-Lots of "systems" - orbs, crafting i think, random dungeons, class changing, in game achievements, monster coins. Seems like there is a ton to do.

-Story is fine nothing crazy or special but i'm not playing for the story here.

-Battles are fast fun and insane. The screen is bursting with enemies, attacks, magic etc and it creates a very frenetic mood that i really like.

-Performance on PS4 Pro on 1080p TV is stunning. It seems like a locked 60fps to me. Smooth as butter, no tearing etc. Dark magic coming off the last game.

So, if you like Dragon Quest, if you like action rpgs, if you like great music and graphics, I highly recommend this game!

8.5/10 so far

Playing on:

Titan Xp @2064mhz
i76850K @ 4.4ghz

So if this is what I was getting Max @ 4K:

Utilization fluctuated between 50 and 100. Before I updated to the newest NVIDIA drivers the FPS was in the 40s.

If you run OBS in preview mode then it causes the game to utilize the GPU more consistently. Here it is again Max @ 4K.

Also before I updated to the newest drivers the FPS was fluctuating between 55 and 60.

So as long as I have OBS running in the background the game runs fantastic. Other people on the STEAM forums says playing a youtube video in the background also works.

Some other notes:
Global Illumination and Volumetric Fog are performance hogs in this game. Turn GI to Medium or Low and Volumetric Fog to off will help. Performance hit with Volumetric Fog only seems to happen when enemies do an attack that causes a lot of dust.

Well... Teleporting to a dungeon from Quester's Rest brings the FPS down to sub 30's... I don't know why. GPU utilization also tanks... around 30-50%. This game is so busted.

Also the game shows up as a black screen half the time. I'm refunding this. I'm tired of trouble shooting Koei Tecmo PC ports.

There's definitely something with the game, that's for sure.

On a related note, I am on vacation, so I went out this morning and gathered some parts for a new build based around a 7700K. After putting everything together, I did some testing and found that if your CPU's single core performance is fast enough, you won't even notice the game is buggy. Performance on the 7700K @ 4.5Ghz + 1080ti appears to be absolutely flawless. I'd say this helps make sense of why running videos, or OBS, or what have you in the background, may affect game performance on some systems. The shuffling around of CPU tasks likely has an effect on how the game utilizes the CPU. Anyhow, I'm hoping developers have noticed some of us are having problems, and are working on a patch as we speak. :p

Lanrutcon

It's working fine for me, are you certain you're not looking at the pre-rendered cutscenes? A large part of the opening is cutscenes.

Nope. If I use the launcher to set it over my standard desktop res (1080) and go in game, the in game menu res shows me at 1080 and it's very apparent in the shimmering (lack of AA). Then I set my desktop to 4k, set it to 4k in the launcher and then the ingame also shows 4k. Muuuuch less shimmering.

Basically if I set the launcher res over my desktop res, the game uses my desktop res. I've disabled DPI scaling on the executable to no effect. Seen some other people report the same behaviour.

Once someone figures out how to apply decent AA to the game to make 1080p not look terrible I'll probably rebuy. Game played ok, but the port has some definite tech issues.

Crevox

Then I set my desktop to 4k, set it to 4k in the launcher and then the ingame also shows 4k. Muuuuch less shimmering.

Is it really that much of a problem to do this to make it work? Maybe I'm just used to doing this back when I was playing games borderless windowed and I wanted to use DSR.

Either way, I would imagine at 1080p high settings it's still better than console... a real AA solution is lacking, but we're still better off than console, and there's workarounds like DSR. I guess that's where I draw the line on a PC port... as long as it's at least as good as console, or better, then I'm happy. The extra stuff is just bonus.

Surprised this game isn't getting too much attention... besides the PC port criticisms, the game itself seems to have a high level of polish thus far, and much better than the first one. Can't wait to get home and play some more, hopefully at 4k once I try some of the suggestions in this thread.

Kremzeek

i have a Pro, playing in 4K.

whenever i rotate the camera around, it's not smooth. it's distractingly steppy when spinning the camera.

is this frame-pacing? it's not screen tear.

i turned on the 'enhanced' mode in the menu. what does 'enhanced' do?

Erdrick

Is there a way to disable the English subtitles in this game during the cutscenes? That's a pet peeve of mine, I prefer none when playing a game in English.

i have a Pro, playing in 4K.

whenever i rotate the camera around, it's not smooth. it's distractingly steppy when spinning the camera.

is this frame-pacing? it's not screen tear.

i turned on the 'enhanced' mode in the menu. what does 'enhanced' do?

Enhanced mode sacrifices frame rate for resolution. I tried both and the smoothness won out for me, so I turned Enhanced mode off

Bladenic

Finished the first battle sequence complete with boss. Really fun! Haven't tried Maribel and Ruff yet because I really like my party and just wanted to keep continuing with the battle sequences. Definitely loving the improvements to DQH1.

Anyone find the DLC weapons? Or the DQH1 save bonus costumes? I got nothing.

Also my PSN is XxVpunxX if anyone wants to play online multi

Espada

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit, and it's definitely better than the first (which I liked) at least as far as I've gotten. They've added quite a bit to the game, but it's pretty manageable and well done.

My only issue is Koei Tecmo's incompetence when it comes to PC ports. I had to use a GAF member's recommended Reshade+SweetFX premade with SMAA to deal with the ugly aliasing at 1080p. Then there's the strange issue where the game will run ~55-57fps with only 30-40% GPU utilization, but if you have a Youtube video running and go back to the game it's 60fps solid.

Lanrutcon

I'm enjoying this game quite a bit, and it's definitely better than the first (which I liked) at least as far as I've gotten. They've added quite a bit to the game, but it's pretty manageable and well done.

My only issue is Koei Tecmo's incompetence when it comes to PC ports. I had to use a GAF member's recommended Reshade+SweetFX premade with SMAA to deal with the ugly aliasing at 1080p. Then there's the strange issue where the game will run ~55-57fps with only 30-40% GPU utilization, but if you have a Youtube video running and go back to the game it's 60fps solid.

Sir. Can you link me to that premade please. If it makes 1080p less obscenely jaggy then my problems are solved and I won't have to fuck with my desktop resolution every time I want to play.

Espada

Sir. Can you link me to that premade please. If it makes 1080p less obscenely jaggy then my problems are solved and I won't have to fuck with my desktop resolution every time I want to play.

Here you go:

PC players who want some additional antialiasing,
here's a prepackaged ReShade2.0 + SweetFX set up for SMAA and mild sharpening.

I tried ReShade3, but that version crashes on startup. ReShade2 works fine though.

Make sure to thank Gyoru especially. I made some tweaks in Reshade's file to disable the mild sharpening and changed the SMAA from 0.05 to 0.08.

Top Bottom