• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cyberpunk 2077 To Have "Online Elements," According To CD Projekt Red

I need to see more of this game before I render any judgments on whether these "online features" are "necessary" to the experience. Hopefully it is something that is completely optional. I'm very interested in seeing how far they have come since the reveal trailer back in 2013

Dunki

Honestly I do not like this. If its done like Naughty dog and the quality of the game will not suffer in terms of Singleplayer fine. But if it ends like Mass Effect and Bioware I do not know how I will react to this.

Blam

Please be good online elements and not shitty ones. I swear to fuck if theres an always online element to this.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Not going to judge before. Just like I didn't when they said they were going open world.

Worked out rather well.

mario_O

"We want to go even higher, and especially seeing how we’re having a business chat, we’re interested in Cyberpunk being commercially even more significant.

When he was later asked about online multiplayer, Kicinski mentioned that it would be a good way for the team to meet market standards, he even calls it "necessary"

Welp, it does sound like microtransactions.

Omoiyari

Honestly I do not like this. If its done like Naughty dog and the quality of the game will not suffer in terms of Singleplayer fine. But if it ends like Mass Effect and Bioware I do not know how I will react to this.

I have no idea how naughty dog manage to do it, but the quality of their games seem completely unaltered by the addition of multiplayer, but at the same time I still don't understand why naughty dog games still need to have multiplayer, they are the best story-based single player developers in the world right now, their latest games were ~15 hours long(so more than enough content for a full priced game), if a B studio(at the time) like guerrilla is allowed by sony to make single player only games, why don't they also allow the best studio they have to make their games even better by focusing all the effort on single player?

Pre-order cancelled.

Seriously though, this isn't really welcome news for me. I like my offline single player RPGs to be exactly that. I guess that a Dark Souls style implementation of online connectivity could be cool in a cyberpunk setting, if that's what they are referring to. I'm happy to give CDPR the benefit of the doubt however after The Witcher 3.

Alebrije

Old as internet.

But being honest do not like the idea , I like single player experiences , even dislike when you are invaded in Dark Souls.

Dunki

I have no idea how naughty dog manage to do it, but the quality of their games seem completely unaltered by the addition of multiplayer, but at the same time I still don't understand why naughty dog games still need to have multiplayer, they are the best story-based single player developers in the world right now, their latest games were ~15 hours long(so more than enough content for a full priced game), if a B studio(at the time) like guerrilla is allowed by sony to make single player only games, why don't they also allow the best studio they have to make their games even better by focusing all the effort on single player?

I do not think that Sony gives them any regulations why should they? They probably get a budget based on last performances but hat it. I think Naughty Dog wanted to do it and its their free will to do so of course. And While I was scared for games like Last of US or Uncharted that the SP could suffer they earned my trust.

Here I do not know if they can do this. The project already seems way more ambitious than the Witcher 3. Now having also some multtiplayer element I really do not know. I just hope it will not be some kind of multiiplayer hybrid and totally separated from the SP and story.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
Please be something like Dark souls and not something unnecessary like stat tracking.

I don't consider myself a huge sci-fi fan nor a Witcher fan but something about this game has my hyped to 11.

What little we've seen has me so excited for this one.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I need to see more of this game before I render any judgments on whether these "online features" are "necessary" to the experience. Hopefully it is something that is completely optional. I'm very interested in seeing how far they have come since the reveal trailer back in 2013
This. And we've seen literally nothing at this point since 2013. Maybe Game Awards or PSX?

CmjZjs9.gif

I'm already fucking salty, EA with its microtransactions up the asshole and unexplainable always online shit got me traumatized.

TBH "online elements" in theory could be awesome.

I mean, imaging play Shadowrun on the SNES or Sega Genesis back in the day, and as end game content the devs said:
- now you can raid megacorps with friends;
- have mode where you can manage, build, and grow a megacorp;
- or, enter 1 isolated asynchronous 'slums' where you compete over territories and economy.

Problem is, these days "online elements" are becoming synonymous with microtransactions and general shittery =/

But, I mean, done right it could be awesome. Just make it sort of:
- isolated optional or end game content areas, sort of like PSP version Final Fantasy Tactics' Melee or Rendezvous;
- a wholly separate online mode that doesn't detract from a full SP experience a la GTA 5 or Deus Ex MD;
- or an alternative way to play said SP experience a la Souls or Diablo.

Or whatever. Sure we could come up with better ideas. But I mean, the more reason to keep playing, the better, and connectivity to other players or a shared environment can give you more interesting things to do. Just, please, don't let it influence the balance or pacing, or otherwise detract, from the standalone core SP experience. QQ

Rayderism

Like has already been said, as long as it's not greedboxes or suckertransactions, fine. But, I only care about the single-player experience, so don't make it where MY experience is gimped if I don't partake in the online stuff.

120v

*shrug*

that could mean anything. and we still know next to nothing about the game, it could be a card battle game for all we know. this is not the witcher 4

Naughty Dog is Sony's largest studio, so they may have the bandwidth to do it. The other Sony studios may not have that luxury. Also, I would imagine Sony restricts ND's budget less than others.

Rick1o1

It's too early to say anything about it. I'm not interested in multiplayer with this game, because I just want Witcher 3 Cyberpunk but I'd say they've earned the benefit of the doubt for now.

LhommeCornichon

Neo Member
IIRC we knew they were looking at adding online components for monts/years now. Curious to see how it will be handled by a "gamer friendly" company.

philm87

We've all got good reason to believe they know what they're doing. Sure, they released DLC for the Witcher 3, but it was 30+ hours of amazingness. They seem to do things the right way and are passionate about making incredible games, without a huge corporation like EA hanging over their head and crushing their creativity.

Top Bottom