• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favourite Teams from Comic Book/CBMovies/CBTV etc?

Metalmarc

So Gaf what are some of Your favourite Teams/Groups/whatever you wanna call them, of 3 or more that originated from Comic Books and Comic Book related media like games, movies & tv etc (e.g maybe you like the Comic Book Defenders lineup more than Netflix Defenders or Guardians Lineup from the Movie more than the GOTG from the comics etc)

The only rules are

1. The team/Group needs to be 3 or more
2. Don't just say Avengers or Justice League or X-men etc (If they have had more than one version, I wanna know which line ups)
3. Please write who they are if you link a picture, dont post a picture and expect everyone to know them especially if they are obscure, so we can at least look them up if they seem interesting.

Mine The Dark Judges from the Judge Dredd stories in 2000ad comics, original line up of Judges Fear, Mortis Death and fire

IMG_7747.jpg

Jmille99

6089702.jpg

I love how OP the team seems to be, but Morrison (specifically) had no problem putting them in situations that still felt stacked against your odds. I also really loved the personalities involved and how well they interacted with one another, and while not Justice League Unlimited levels, the bigger cast was something I enjoyed as well too.

The first team, the only team, the JSA.
The original 40s DC superheroes teaching the new generation. An insane roster of characters, the richest legacy in comics, crazy power levels (they have several Superman level characters) and great character dynamics. Plus, the 99' series was pretty much fantastic for its entire run.

Jakeem x Stargirl forever.

I also really like the X-Men but I'm sure other posters will cover them.

The Dark Judges are pretty fun. The Dredd vs Death videogame is one of my guilty pleasures.

Veedot

The X-Men are my favorite team in comics and my 2nd favorite franchise in Marvel (Spider-Man stays at the top)

new_x_men_issue_20_cover_by_diablo2003.jpg

16729373_1.jpg

I grew up with the 90's X-Men and have fond memories but the iteration I fell in love with is the New X-Men Academy X team. Im a huge X-23 fan and when I was reading everything she was in around 2010 I saw she was in an X team but appeared in issue 20. So I binged the series and kept reading all the way through to 2nd coming and holy shit that was such a journey. Its also funny how I fell in love with the team around when Laura joined because prior to her they were all split into different teams kind of like harry potter houses. But after M-day and lots of suffering they compiled what was left forming my favorite team.

Kaiterra

Banned
The X-Men are my favorite team in comics and my 2nd favorite franchise in Marvel (Spider-Man stays at the top)

I grew up with the 90's X-Men and have fond memories but the iteration I fell in love with is the New X-Men Academy X team. Im a huge X-23 fan and when I was reading everything she was in around 2010 I saw she was in an X team but appeared in issue 20. So I binged the series and kept reading all the way through to 2nd coming and holy shit that was such a journey. Its also funny how I fell in love with the team around when Laura joined because prior to her they were all split into different teams kind of like harry potter houses. But after M-day and lots of suffering they compiled what was left forming my favorite team.

Looooooooooove this class. Anole and Rockslide are like, my fave superhero BFFs in particular.

FNF-Rockslide-Anole.jpg

The first team, the only team, the JSA.

And we're off to a great start. I love all these teams. If I had to throw some off the top of my head to the discussion...

Cae_XHQW8AAiSay.jpg:large

Ostrander's run on Suicide Squad fleshed out a bunch of villains of the DC universe, from the most famous to the obscure D-listers. It's unfortunate I doubt we'll get a run of same quality again.

tumblr_ot8jcev_Ovv1v040xlo1_1280.jpg

COPRA, which is basically a love-letter to the above team, but with it's own twists and concepts in it's characters that I feel it stands on it's own.

x-force-comic.jpg

The idea of the opposite side of Xavier's dream, those that fight out and are a straight up army of mutants.

2498465-ohotmu_teams__1___page_49.jpg

A bunch of shitty teens with shitty powers using them just to hit it big on T.V. A fun concept and love every moment of them.

676433.jpg

Some of Marvel's greatest characters who aren't team players, who have to work together. They're aided by a rotating member list, all while struggling to keep fighting the enemy and not each other.

latest

I always enjoyed this team line-up, but it only lasted a couple issues. I guess they're just Marvel's "big hits" of characters, and most are now just Avengers these days, but I still liked the dynamic they had for the few days they lasted in-universe as a team.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-17_at_1.22.42_AM.png

Editorial forced a team of mainly jobbers to the writers, and they ran with it. A team of people gathered who want to help and have to live into a legacy of those that came before and the mantle of "Justice League".

Screen_Shot_2017-10-17_at_1.25.02_AM.png

Originally gathered to put a halt to a Visigoth who had gotten hold of alien tech and taken over a country, they soon realized that he was the reasonable one and a hero in his own right, and became their universe's main super-team. ~ A collection of Valiant's best ~

Green Lantern Corps

Big GL fan of course, but I love the corps especially, they add to the mythology so well. The recurring alien characters are often a treat (my favorite is probably Salaak), and I'm glad to see that the corps have gotten way more focus in recent years, especially since DC restricted / bought back the concept post Rebirth. The Green Lantern Corps comic had some first rate stories.

new-avengers-2-12.png

Illuminati/New Avengers

Black Bolt, Captain America, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Mister Fantastic, and Namor.

Other members include: Professor X, Bruce Banner/Hulk, Beast

I recommend reading Hickman's New Avengers. They deal with major threats to the multiverse, specifically parallel realities.

latest

Uncanny X-Force
Team: Wolverine, Archangel, Psylocke, Fantomex, Deadpool

I believe each of the characters is at their best in this black ops X-men team.

Veedot

Looooooooooove this class. Anole and Rockslide are like, my fave superhero BFFs in particular.

FNF-Rockslide-Anole.jpg
Hell yeah! Rockslide and Anole are sick af! My biggest gripe is how prior to this run no writer remembers how important Mercury was to X23 and that really upsets me because the bond they made was one of my favorite parts. Hell i dont think mercury has done anything relevant since then.

Also i love Cyclops and Emma as the headmasters dam i loved this run. It also sets me up for disappoint when a MvC comes out and everyone wants Gambit,Psylocke,ms marvel powered Rogue or Cable and I want Dust,Elixer,Rockslide,Pixie,Hellion,Surge etc lmao. I like the 90s era but I dislike how they are the end all be all to the fanbase

Penguin

From comic's Morrison's Justice League. The Wally/Kyle dynamic adds a fun youthfulness to the team that they don't go back to often.

From animation.... the Timm Justice League

From live-action TV, the Legends... they are just lovable losers.

And from movies, MCU's Avengers they just have a great chemistry.

LordRaptor

Great Team, or Greatest Team?

Screen_Shot_2017-10-17_at_1.22.42_AM.png

Editorial forced a team of mainly jobbers to the writers, and they ran with it. A team of people gathered who want to help and have to live into a legacy of those that came before and the mantle of "Justice League".

Was the team forced on them?
Its a pretty solid attempt at integrating all of the different universes of the DCU into the one mainline one post-Crisis.
You got CM repping Fawcett
You got BB repping Charlton
You got MM and Oberon for Kirbys 4th World
Dr Fates repping All Star / pre crisis Earth Two

error4041

Hickman's Avengers comes to mind. The team went has far down has a Kung-fu master, all the way up to the literal personification of the universe and dealt with planetary to multiversal threats

2870888b628939843f17e036f79bdeb6.jpg

Some Nobody

Was the team forced on them?

Not forced. He just wanted the Morrison League (lol) and was told one by one by the editors of those books he couldn't have them. So he took Batman (who was briefly free), Martian Manhunter (who no one cared about), and Guy (who they forgot owned a ring) and then slapped a bunch of jobbers onto the team and went from there.

My answer:

legion_1_large.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
new-avengers-2-12.png

Illuminati/New Avengers

Black Bolt, Captain America, Doctor Strange, Iron Man, Mister Fantastic, and Namor.

Other members include: Professor X, Bruce Banner/Hulk, Beast

I recommend reading Hickman's New Avengers. They deal with major threats to the multiverse, specifically parallel realities.

latest

Uncanny X-Force

Bought Hickman's entire run from Secret Warriors to Secret Wars during the digital Marvel sale and am going through it now. Just loving it so far!

Also got that X-Force book and also looking forward.

LordRaptor

Not forced. He just wanted the Morrison League (lol) and was told one by one by the editors of those books he couldn't have them. So he took Batman (who was briefly free), Martian Manhunter (who no one cared about), and Guy (who they forgot owned a ring) and then slapped a bunch of jobbers onto the team and went from there.

JLI was a co-production by Giffen & DeMatteis, and honestly, I have a ton of respect for the work Giffen does in universe building, so I honestly believe he didn't just pull names out of a hat and go wild - I honestly think he was making some efforts to establish all those disparate source materials into a cohesive DCU.

PudieRSC

avengers009.gif

It's cliche, but I don't care.

Several years of buildup and hype and it NAILS it. It was everything the fans had been waiting for since they started making these movies.

jph139

Waid's run really dropped the ball (as did, like, Marvel in general for not utilizing them before breaking the team up after less than 20 issues), but the ANAD Avengers might be my favorite lineup of all time. You've got the old guard (Tony/Vision), the legacy veterans (Sam/Jane), and the next generation (Kamala/Miles/Sam).

My only issue is Iron Man, who just doesn't feel right to me. I'd have swapped him with Hawkeye or Scarlet Witch or Black Widow. Or maybe Wasp.

hobozero

latest

Uncanny X-Force

Have to disagree here. Fantomex is the most annoying, deus ex machina-enabling, faux-french whatever he is I have ever read. Reading a story with him in it is like playing DnD with someone who owns all the sourcebooks and won't share them - constantly pulling some new ability or rule out of their ass to completely derail the story. I hope they retconned him to oblivion with the last universe reboot.

LordRaptor

Have to disagree here. Fantomex is the most annoying, deus ex machina-enabling, faux-french whatever he is I have ever read. Reading a story with him in it is like playing DnD with someone who owns all the sourcebooks and won't share them - constantly pulling some new ability or rule out of their ass to completely derail the story. I hope they retconned him to oblivion with the last universe reboot.

He was great when Morrision introduced him as Mutant Diabolik (and in that Beastie Boys video) but I don't think he was ever intended for longform use as an actual character (and didn't he actually get killed off during X-Force?)

kunonabi

Excalibur, Darkhold redeemers, and New Warriors team with nightthrasher, silhouette, namorita, nova, firestarter, and speedball.

Top Bottom