• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eternal Darkness Fifth Extension - GRANTED 12/20/12

Meelow

Banned
I never got to play the first Eternal Darkness so I really hope this is true, and if it is hopefully they put the first one on the Wii U eShop.

DryvBy

One of the reasons I loved the Gamecube more than the other consoles of last generation was because of how awesome this game was. I beat it 5-6 times. Loved it!

The game was good (I liked it anyway), and there are very high chances at this point that if Nintendo wants to revive the series it won't be Silicon Knights to develop it, but someone else.

The thing that has very low chances of happening is Nintendo wanting to revive the series... despite this trademark renewal.

I dunno, man...Kid Icarus, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion...they seem to be on a little revival kick the last couple years.

EDIT: Oh, Donkey Kong Country Returns too!

DaRabidDuckie

If it turned out to be Retro working on this, I would go bang on their door every day of the week begging them to let me test this. I'd even offer to help write dialogue for free.

Sadist

I would love Eternal Darkness 2.

I would lose my shit if Retro would announce this as their project. ED is one of my favourite Cube titles ever, although I have to admit it didn't age well after my last playthrough last year. The idea of ED is still amazing though.

not getting my hopes up...but would be nice if Retro hired a few leads from SK that worked on the original and co-developed it with some resources from the Fatal Frame team.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
This probably means nothing. And I have no idea why people go straight to "RETRO!" while thinking about a potential sequel. Because they're a western developper like Silicon Knights?

jdforge

Banned
I really hope Nintendo and Retro are working on ED2. I absolutely loved the first game.

If this happens it will be the first game I preorder since Resident Evil 4 on GameCube.

Bulzeeb

.. So what is going GAF? did the project move to another studio? Nintendo owns the IP now? SK sold it to them?

isn't this the case with almost every new IP published by Nintendo and games like last Story and Wonderful 101 beign recent examples of this?

serplux

I really hope Nintendo and Retro are working on ED2. I absolutely loved the first game.

If this happens it will be the first game I preorder since Resident Evil 4 on GameCube.

I don't. I want them working on a completely new IP. Although I would like to see a sequel to ED, it was a good game.

Orayn

This probably means nothing. And I have no idea why people go straight to "RETRO!" while thinking about a potential sequel. Because they're a western developper like Silicon Knights?

Because Eternal Darkness was a game with some gravitas and we all want to believe that Retro's project is something big and exciting.

Retro can't make everything !

Yes, they can. And they can make it amazing.

Also, ED was one of my favorite Cube games. To think that there could be a sequel...

M-bison-yes-o.gif

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Because Eternal Darkness was a game with some gravitas and we all want to believe that Retro's project is something big and exciting.

Sure the game could be pretty good if Retro made it, but Eternal Darkness and "big" don't go too well together, the game was far from being a hit. It would be hyped by a few fans from the Gamecube days and that's about it. Unless Nintendo market and hype it right, which i have some serious doubt, especially with how shitty NOA is lately.

I dunno, man...Kid Icarus, Pikmin, Luigi's Mansion...they seem to be on a little revival kick the last couple years.

EDIT: Oh, Donkey Kong Country Returns too!

Ture, but this is just a trademark renewal, nothing to be excited for more than 90 seconds... :/

Do you remember the last thing that got revealed via a trademark was?
It was All of the bravest... ALL-OF-THE-DAMN-BRAVEST!

Like Dark Schala likes to say, I'm afraid that this hype train has asbestos... I'm not riding it.

I'll believe it when I see it.

MarkusRJR

Considering I just beat the GameCube original 2 days ago, I can't wait for a sequel. I honestly hope Retro is working on it.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Yep, Nintendo is going to move Retro away from making critically and financially (4 million + sold) successful games in a popular franchise (Donkey Kong), to working on a sequel to a niche horror game which even GAF barely remembers, that has a selling potential of 500K AT BEST.

Makes sense.

Yep, Nintendo is going to move Retro away from making critically and financially (4 million + sold) successful games in a popular franchise (Donkey Kong), to working on a sequel to a niche horror game which even GAF barely remembers, that has a selling potential of 500K AT BEST.

Makes sense.

they're not making DKCR2

Neiteio

I'd be 200% content with Retro Studios making a sequel to Eternal Darkness. I absolutely loved the original and played through all three alignments. It captured my imagination for days and nights on end. Silicon Knights is in no state to do it justice today, but I think Retro Studios could pinpoint what made it work and create something as good or greater. They captured the spirit of the Metroid and DKC games, after all.

Imagine the Tome of Eternal Darkness on the WiiU GamePad's touchscreen, drawing spells with your fingertips and turning pages of flesh and blood... Sweet.

And Punch Out Wii.

Ahhhh how did I forget that one too? It was great.

Ture, but this is just a trademark renewal, nothing to be excited for more than 90 seconds... :/

Do you remember the last thing that got revealed via a trademark was?
It was All of the bravest... ALL-OF-THE-DAMN-BRAVEST!

Like Dark Schala likes to say, I'm afraid that this hype train has asbestos... I'm not riding it.

I'll believe it when I see it.

Oh definitely.

Still, didn't MamaRobotnik's postmortem on SK show that at least some kind of preliminary work was being done on ED2 before they got obliterated in court?

I don't think it's TOO farfetched, but there's not really anything to go on. Hype Train's always fun to ride though, asbestos be damned!

Nintendo has no ideas about how to hype the core base fans or what the hardcore wants

This should have been given to Retro for a Reboot if it was anyone but nintendo

Sadist

I just want my Lovecraft en Poe in videogames.

Also

CMCapture113.gif

May the rats eat your eyes!

:p I do hope Nintendo authorizes Fatal Frame 5 sometime. It would be weird if the only reason they bought the series was to make a AR-spinoff game.
Well us Euro-folk did play some game called Project Zero II :p

Skiesofwonder

they're not making DKCR2

If so, they are working on one of the other countless amounts of Nintendo franchises or either creating a new IP. They are not working one of the most obscure and niche franchises that Nintendo owns. If Nintendo is really going to bring back Eternal Darkness, expect someone like N-Space to be working on it.

serplux

Retro is definitely doing Metroid Prime 4.

Doubt it. They're doing something with bigger selling potential than just Metroid. I'd wager it's going to be a Halo competitor.

Hopefully Nintendo does get WayForward to do a 2D Metroid on the 3DS. They've done an excellent job with Shantae/Contra 4.

Gannd

Banned
Dyack said otherwise iirc.

No he didn't. Nintendo has owned Eternal Darkness forever and he even stated as much when they split with Nintendo and went tits up. There has been a rumour that SK is developing ED2 but who knows if it is true.

Oh definitely.

Still, didn't MamaRobotnik's postmortem on SK show that at least some kind of preliminary work was being done on ED2 before they got obliterated in court?

I don't think it's TOO farfetched, but there's not really anything to go on. Hype Train's always fun to ride though, asbestos be damned!

I firmly believe that Eternal Darkness 2 was in development at a time.

There are two big problems for what I see it though.
Basing it on the premise that Silicon Knights is no more and they will not be able to resume working on it:

- was it in development because Silicon Knights really wanted to do it and begged Nintendo for years to let them work on it despite them not being convinced at all as a publisher?

- even if it was a Nintendo idea to let Silicon Knights work on a second Eternal Darkness game, who has the full rights to the game?

The only scenario in which we could see a second game is because Nintendo really wants it AND owns the full rights, both of which seem to me like the two least likely options.
It's not impossible, but still unlikely.

We'll have to wait and see I'm afraid.

Wiz

Doubt it. They're doing something with bigger selling potential than just Metroid. I'd wager it's going to be a Halo competitor.

Hopefully Nintendo does get WayForward to do a 2D Metroid on the 3DS. They've done an excellent job with Shantae/Contra 4.

A huge budget HD Metroid game could be a big success, especially in the West. Give it online multiplayer and you have yourself a good Halo competitor.

But I wouldn't mind the second option of a 2D Metroid on 3DS. Actually I believe both will happen very close to each other.

Malvingt2

I loved the first game, I really do want a sequel.. I hope this means something.

No he didn't. Nintendo has owned Eternal Darkness forever and he even stated as much when they split with Nintendo and went tits up. There has been a rumour that SK is developing ED2 but who knows if it is true.

check OP with Mama thread link..

It would be awesome if the e3 conference or similar that announced it incorporated sanity effects into the presentation itself. Though I guess the original wasn't super-popular and it'd seem dumb & confusing to many people. Maybe they'd do something that batshit insane during a nintendo direct..
Until they toy with everyone by showing a fake Mother Rebirth.

Sadist

Kotaku said it was true. SK was working on a working prototype and Nintendo was interested, but the prototype was horrible. Nintendo backed away.

Skiesofwonder

Nintendo has no ideas about how to hype the core base fans or what the hardcore wants

This should have been given to Retro for a Reboot if it was anyone but nintendo

Do you seriously foresee some game in the form of Eternal Darkness becoming a huge million-seller on a Nintendo console? Retro working on another franchise like Metroid, Donkey Kong, Star Fox, Legend of Zelda, or even a Mech Rider/Startropics would be much more beneficial to Nintendo then a sequel or reboot of Eternal Darkness.

I say this as a HUGE Eternal Darkness fan. The franchise is just not going to sell a huge amount of copies on the WiiU or move a large amout of Nintendo consoles. If Nintendo really wants a "mature/core" focused game from Retro, let them create their own IP.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This would fit with Retro working on their "biggest project ever", and that hiring for art staff and such.

I'm not sure how a follow-up to Eternal Darkness could ever be a bigger project than any of the Metroid Prime games. That's just silly.

Neiteio

If so, they are working on one of the other countless amounts of Nintendo franchises or either creating a new IP. They are not working one of the most obscure and niche franchises that Nintendo owns. If Nintendo is really going to bring back Eternal Darkness, expect someone like N-Space to be working on it.
Eh, Nintendo let Sakurai work on a frickin' Kid Icarus revival some 25 years after it was last relevant to Japan.

And Treasure work on a Sin & Punishment sequel.

And I'm sure there are other examples. Sometimes -- and this could very well be the case -- Nintendo may be motivated more by the promise of novel gameplay ideas (GamePad sanity effects, perhaps?) and a determination to better communicate the appeal of the product the second time around. They might see Eternal Darkness as one of their few truly epic properties (and spanning 2,000 years, it truly is!), and so it could be a Bayonetta-esque bid to appease the core gamer while the masses eat up the usual servings of Mario and company.

Something for everybody!

serplux

A huge budget HD Metroid game could be a big success, especially in the West. Give it online multiplayer and you have yourself a good Halo competitor.

But I wouldn't mind the second option of a 2D Metroid on 3DS. Actually I believe both will happen very close to each other.

I think a Metroid is in works for both systems (who knows, we could see a 2D one for the 3DS this holiday). But I don't think it's MP4, at the very least, and I don't think it's going to be by Retro. I just don't think Metroid has that much selling potential while still keeping it the Metroid we all love.

Eh, Nintendo let Sakurai work on a frickin' Kid Icarus revival some 25 years after it was last relevant to Japan.

And Treasure work on a Sin & Punishment sequel.

Something for everybody!

Mother 4 is obviously in the works by AlphaDream after they get done with M&L 4. :p

Top Bottom