• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation All Stars Battle Royale Discussion thread [Up: Leakfest #11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bad+Santa+Willie+Marcus.JPG

lol perfect.

KevinCow

Banned
but Tomba's IP/copyright holder died long ago ,SCE just published the games in the US and don't actually own the IP..here see the copyright line

icEWL.jpg

there is no one for Sony to get the Tomba rights from.

I was wondering about this.

Surely the copyright hasn't just vanished into nothingness. There has to be some system in place to get the rights to something if a company went out of business and didn't liquidate their assets.

According to Wikipedia, the Tomba games are out on PSN in Japan. If they can make that work, then there's got to be a way to get him in this game.

SykoTech

I'm pretty sure both Marvel 3 and SFxT had website updates when characters were revealed.

But I guess that's something fighting game fans would know, not just Smash Bros fanboys.

Because for one, the game is very similar to SSB. To say otherwise is to claim you have no eyeballs.
Already replied about the second part of this comment but I want to hit on this part too. Yes, visually SSB and All-Stars look very similar. But by that same logic . . .

modern_warfare_3-4.jpg

battlefield-3-screenshots-4.jpg

Obviously one of these is just a clone of the other then, right? Of course there will be similarities because they are in the same genre, but MW3 and BF3 play extremely different from each other. Just like All-Stars and SSB: at first glance they look like the same thing but in actuality they are very different.

And I'm not saying Sony and Superbot weren't inspired by SSB, that's a given. But it doesn't mean it will be very similar to SSB.

Already replied about the second part of this comment but I want to hit on this part too. Yes, visually SSB and All-Stars look very similar. But by that same logic . . .

http://mwarfare3.com/wp-content/gallery/screenshots/modern_warfare_3-4.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://www.mymoneyfalling.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/battlefield-3-screenshots-4.jpg[IMG]

Obviously one of these is just a clone of the other then, right? Of course there will be similarities because they are in the same genre, [B]but MW3 and BF3 play extremely different from each other[/B]. Just like All-Stars and SSB: at first glance they look like the same thing but in actuality they are very different.

And I'm not saying Sony and Superbot weren't inspired by SSB, that's a given. But it doesn't mean it will be very similar to SSB.[/QUOTE]

So.
Smash Bros = MW3.
BF3 = Battle Royale.
?

I just realized the 6 characters so far are 2 from each Playstation era.

That... makes a lot of fucking sense.
Maybe that's why we didn't get to see Drake or Cole or Sackboy.

That wasn't the point but if you want to think of it like that then sure. All I'm saying is they are in the same genre so of course they will appear the same on the surface, but when you dig into the mechanics not so much.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. Same objectives, diferent ways to do so.

modern_warfare_3-4.jpg

battlefield-3-screenshots-4.jpg

Obviously one of these is just a clone of the other then, right? Of course there will be similarities because they are in the same genre, but MW3 and BF3 play extremely different from each other. Just like All-Stars and SSB: at first glance they look like the same thing but in actuality they are very different.

And I'm not saying Sony and Superbot weren't inspired by SSB, that's a given. But it doesn't mean it will be very similar to SSB.

Okay, I understand that not every game has to have 100% original ideas to be a good game.

It's just everything I hear about the game, the assisting characters, the Final Smash esque super moves, the interactive stages, the 4 player combat, just seem to be very evocative of SSB. This actually might be a good stopgap for SSB players while we start the inevitable 4 year wait for SSBHD. Seriously, if SASBR (ew) can be announced and released within the same year, it's already beaten SSB in one respect.

Mikey Jr.

Hahaha man.

Really are you kidding me?

Its getting really absurd, first that stuff nonsense about the colors now this.

Hahaha, I know.

"OMG! They are using the same colours! Don't buy this game!"

"FFS! They are revealing characters 1 by 1, just like smash. Fuck this game!"

The game is happening and the fans are excited, whether you guys like it or not.

Loudninja

Okay, I understand that not every game has to have 100% original ideas to be a good game.

It's just everything I hear about the game, the assisting characters, the Final Smash esque super moves, the interactive stages, the 4 player combat, just seem to be very evocative of SSB. This actually might be a good stopgap for SSB players while we start the inevitable 4 year wait for SSBHD. Seriously, if SASBR (ew) can be announced and released within the same year, it's already beaten SSB in one respect.
Every fighting game has flashy finisher moves, that nothing exclusive to SSB.

Also the game has 2 stage themes that interactive together, also interactive stages is not exclusive to SSB either.

PS1: Snake, Cloud, Sir Dan. (Or maybe, Crash, Spyro and Sir Dan)
PS2: Ico&Yorda, Wander, Ratchet&Clank.
PS3: Drake, Cole, Sackboy.

On next reveal?

Drencrom

Uh oh. Can of worms.

Also, Kratos is technically PS3 and Radec is PS2 too right?

No, Kratos was introduced first on PS2 with God of War and Radec was introduced in Killzone 2 on PS3.

Edit: Re-read your post. Yes, Kratos appear in a PS3 game but Radec doesn't appear in any PS2 game.

Ravage

On a serious note, i really don't expect to see 3rd party character reveals before E3. Since there won't be that many of them (being realistic here), i'm sure Sony would want to reserve them as a surprise for E3 as well as the weeks leading up to launch to drum up hype.

Or next reveal is handheld characters

I hope it's Kate. Her gravity-altering powers will be interesting to play with.

To be fair, super/hyper combo moves have been in fighters for the past 15years+. Street Fighter, MvsC, KoF, SC, etc. Hell, in Brawl, the first thing I thought when I saw Mario and Samus' Final Smash attacks was "holy Ryu Shinku Hadoken Batman!".

Now if All Stars was set up where characters had to hit a randomly appeared floating orb in the sky to get a super.......then there would be an argument. Also, with veterans from the fighting game community working on this game, it should come to no surprise that combo emphasis and super attacks are a big priority. Also, All Stars doesn't have basic smash attacks (holding a direction and attacking isn't a power attack but rather completely new moves).

V_Ben

Banned
If we're going to go ps1, ps2, ps3, this is what we'll likely see in my opinion :p

PS1:

- Gabe Logan
- Sir Daniel
- Ape Escape Character Du Jour
- Blasto? Heh.

PS2:

- J&D
- R&C
- Primal Chick (Alternatively, the guy from Mark Of Kri!)

PS3:

- Nathan Drake
- Nariko
- Sackboy

Third Parties:

- Scorpion (Or another popular MK character)
- Solid Snake
- A Final Fantasy Character
- Oddworld Character (The Stranger would be AMAZING)
- Ezio

Wildcard: Portables

- The Locorocos - an attack force of multi coloured loco rocos. Think Ice Climbers
- Kat

Don't know how relevant this would be unless they put the game on Vita. Wonder why they didn't announce a Vita version really.

She's a character from a first party game; that's as relevant as it needs to be. Superbot are taking stupid pills if Kat is nowhere to be seen in Battle Royale.

What?

The newer Crash has tattoos?

Yes. They help him take control of monsters... *sigh* :(

She's a character from a first party game; that's as relevant as it needs to be. Superbot are taking stupid pills if Kat is nowhere to be seen in Battle Royale.

She's a character from a new first party title with little relevance. There's plenty more spaces in the roster for characters that are actually somewhat recognisable. Then again, it could be good marketing for GR.

This must mean that the next reveal will be a PS4 character!! Playable griffon from The Last Guardian confirmed!
LOL. Ok, that was really good.

Ah. Good stuff. Never really played the Killzone games.
It's really such a shame because (Killzone spoilers, if you don't plan on playing it then obviously no harm to read)
Radec is the best character in the entire Killzone franchise. His role in Killzone 2 is what really made the game for me, and his boss battle at the end is possibly the best FPS boss battle ever. He made me glad that there'd be a strong villain for many iterations of the franchise to come. Yet the same game he was introduced in is also the same game we was killed off.

LOL. Ok, that was really good.

It's really such a shame because (Killzone spoilers, if you don't plan on playing it then obviously no harm to read)
Radec is the best character in the entire Killzone franchise. His role in Killzone 2 is what really made the game for me, and his boss battle at the end is possibly the best FPS boss battle ever. He made me glad that there'd be a strong villain for many iterations of the franchise to come. Yet the same game he was introduced in is also the same game we was killed off.

I played some multiplayer way back when.
I remember for some reason, really liking the spaceships and how they looked archaic and realistic.

Drencrom

My exact sentiments, i'm glad that I'll have a chance to play this baddie.

And yeah, Crash have to go to rehab before he can join the roster :lol Personally it doesn't matter if he's absent but original Crash would be a pretty cool.
Snake and Cloud are PS1 chars that definitely needs to be in.

She's a character from a new first party title with little relevance. There's plenty more spaces in the roster for characters that are actually somewhat recognisable. Then again, it could be good marketing for GR.
Yeah, because Parappa is so relevant. I'd argue the same for Fat Princess. What should that have anything to do with it? She would definitely have a unique and interesting fighting style too, as opposed to half the wish-lists here filled with gun wielding characters.

Kat will have a lot more relevance by the time Battle Royale is out, with Gravity Rush having been released months earlier, most likely to unaminous praise. Not only that, she'll be a much needed female addition to the roster and her inclusion will enable more players to discover her game and maybe even take more notice of the Vita as a result. Her role will definitely serve a purpose.

Plus she has a load of cool anti-gravity moves that instantly make her unique from everyone else.

Hollow is one way of putting it. Personally I'd liken him more to dead inside. Crash Bandicoot needs to be in Battle Royale, but not in his current iteration. Good ol' classic Crash back for BR or bust.

Refer to my post above. Good ol' bright orange, bushy eyebrow Crash.

Unfortunately if Spyro were in Activision would probably insist on his Skylander appearance due to marketing. Meanwhile, Crash hasn't been in a successful game for years.

My exact sentiments, i'm glad that I'll have a chance to play this baddie.

And yeah, Crash have to go to rehab before he can join the roster :lol Personally it doesn't matter if he's absent but original Crash would be a pretty cool.
Snake and Cloud are PS1 chars that definitely needs to be in.
Instead of getting a Killzone 4
which would suck because all the cool villains died in 2
they should make a"Killzone: [subtitle]" where you either play a a Helghast in Radec's Academy or as Radec himself. I would media-black-out that shit and buy day one despite how disappointed in KZ3 I was.

And definitely agree on the whole Crash deal. Original character design or don't bother to include him.
Level 3 Super
Crashandakuaku.jpg

Victory Dance
tumblr_lcxgtjPunt1qcm4rfo1_250.gif

KevinCow

Banned
PS1, 2, and 3 characters are pretty obvious, and Kat could be a Vita character.

But how about the PSP? I can't think of many PSP-exclusive series. Patapon and Locoroco don't really lend themselves to characters very well, though Patapon's already in the God of War stage and you gotta have a LocoRoco stage that tilts back and forth.

Maybe Jeanne d'Arc?

Ravage

Does anyone else here wish Patapon was playable? Patapon Hero with rhythm-based combat style, Fever-mode super moves and the ability to summon Patapon soldiers would be fun to play as. Perfect mascot to represent the PSP platform imo.

As for the Vita, Kate is definitely the only rational choice. Not to mention that her gravity powers will add something new to roster.

Kat will have a lot more relevance by the time Battle Royale is out, with Gravity Rush having been released months earlier, most likely to unaminous praise. Not only that, she'll be a much needed female addition to the roster and her inclusion will enable more players to discover her game and maybe even take more notice of the Vita as a result. Her role will definitely serve a purpose.

Plus she has a load of cool anti-gravity moves that instantly make her unique from everyone else.

This too. And i definitely agree with the cross-marketing part.

Instead of getting a Killzone 4
which would suck because all the cool villains died in 2
they should make a"Killzone: [subtitle]" where you either play a a Helghast in Radec's Academy or as Radec himself. I would media-black-out that shit and buy day one despite how disappointed in KZ3 I was.

And definitely agree on the whole Crash deal. Original character design or don't bother to include him.
Level 3 Super
Crashandakuaku.jpg

Victory Dance
tumblr_lcxgtjPunt1qcm4rfo1_250.gif

Also, POLAR BEAR RUSH!

Chpolarctr.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom