• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Net neutrality is alive and well in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.michaelgeist.ca/2017/04/...a-crtc-crafts-full-code-zero-rating-decision/

The CRTC today released the final chapter (for now) in its net neutrality governance framework, creating policy framework that establishes strong policy safeguards against net neutrality violations and severely restricts the ability for providers to engage in zero rating practices. When combined with the federal government’s clear support for net neutrality, the Canadian framework is now one of the strongest in the world, providing guidance from the providers and appropriate protections for users and innovative services.

In sum, this is a huge win for net neutrality in Canada as the CRTC was ultimately guided by its longstanding principle that telecom regulation should restrict the ability of ISPs to determine winners and losers through their power as the Internet’s gatekeepers. When combined with the the ITMP framework and the decisions involving Bell Mobile TV and Videotron, the CRTC has crafted a reasonable, pro-net neutrality framework that provides carriers with guidance and users – whether innovative businesses or consumers – with assurances that net neutrality is the law of the land. As a complaints-based mechanism there is considerable onus placed on consumers to monitor to practices and to seek enforcement, but the right framework is in place for long-term benefits to innovation and consumers.

Could have been a bit better, though:

The CRTC decision also addresses the issue of data caps, declining to ban the practice and merely monitor the situation for now.

If there are going to be data caps they should be determined by the government. Im thinking 1 terabyte a month should be good for the next 5 years then after that it gets doubled every 5 years with room for review in between.

aeolist

Banned
If there are going to be data caps they should be determined by the government. Im thinking 1 terabyte a month should be good for the next 5 years then after that it gets doubled every 5 years with room for review in between.

the thing is there's absolutely no reason for data caps to exist other than to pad profit margins. they get you nothing with regard to congestion, and people are already paying tiered prices for faster speeds.

they only exist because the home broadband market is not competitive.

Mimosa97

I don't believe in anything anymore so I expect that when conservatives will finally be in power again they'll do everything to repeal this.

CazTGG

Can't wait for our local Trump to fuck it up.

Did Kellie Leitch or Kevin O'Leary say anything about net neutrality being "a liberal elitist government overreach anti-Sharia law <insert other conservative jargon here>" practice that i'm unaware of?

Man, the CRTC just continues to knock it out of the park ruling after ruling. Can't wait for them to hit Robellus where it hurts in Cellphone pricing.

Edit: I was going to make my own thread for this, but decided to post it here. Heres an article on CBC which goes into the "why" of the ruling some more Your internet provider can't pick which apps and services count against your data cap, says CRTC also this one on DSL Reports Canada Protects Net Neutrality As U.S. Prepares to Dismantle It

Hale-XF11

I wonder how much longer we have until the internet as we know it is dead in America. Sounds like our government is trying to end net neutrality as quickly as possible here.

Ac30

I wish they'd tackle Telecom rates next, $50+tax for 2GB of data (and this was a limited time offer) is daylight robbery.

jayu26

CRTC has always had their heart in the right place. If only they could write iron clad rules that Telecommunication companies can't work around then we would be golden. Wait, that is up to the government isn't it? We are fucked.

Kurdel

Banned
Yeah this is great news!

They also told a company to stop offering free bandwidth for internet radio for certain subscribers because it constituted a fastlane.

Clov

While the news about data caps still sucks, it's great to hear that net neutrality is safe here. I'm honestly so happy that I live in Canada right now.

ElNino

Considering it's pretty easy to get unlimited (or a reasonably high cap) internet, the lack of banning caps doesn't really bother me.

Seems like major Streisand Effect to start saying "look how this idiot thinks idiot things." Normally I'm all for it because you need to shine a light on the idiots but in this case she doesn't seem to be anyone of import, is she? Giving it a further platform than the fringe it's currently on would whip up the frothy dummies that agree with anything proclaimed #maga, including koolaid enemas.

Lawd, cults of personality are garbage. On a not completely unrelated note, I was seriously super hopeful a country would buy Twitter and just shutter that entire bitch ass network.

RPGCrazied

Why is everything just that much better in Canada? They just do everything right compared to what the US is doing, turning into a 3rd world country.

Jebusman

Banned
Why is everything just that much better in Canada? They just do everything right compared to what the US is doing, turning into a 3rd world country.

I mean we're two steps forward one step back with this kind of stuff. Our mobile data plans are still relatively terrible for the price, as no one wants to take the plunge and be the first to offer an unlimited style data plan, or data carryover, or drop their data overage fees to something that doesn't amount to robbery.

i-Lo

Hahaha. Her tweets are something else.

Given it's coming from a country where citizens get arrested for hollering at and shaming corporate shills for poisoning Flint's water supply and subsequently victim blaming, this is not surprising.

Amoral corporate trash.

And yea, I wasn't aware that EU (didn't know Netherlands wasn't part of EU, lol) was okay with gutting net neutrality. Also, that jab at India.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom