• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What makes an anime "click" for you?

theWB27

If you're interested in DBZ fights but on a sports level watch Kuroko no basket.. and Hero academia is the go to anime at the moment for rediculous fights.

Im all caught up on my hero... great story and amazing fights. Whew it's good. Appreciate the kuroko...i shall look it up.

brawly

Power and a good enough story to get me to each display of said power. But i have to like the fights....it's why i cant give one piece a try.

Have you watched Hajime no Ippo?

latest

Lautaro

Interesting MC (I rather take a sociopathic douche than a screaming goody two shoes).

Tactics win fights over shounen power-of-friendship crap.

Nice art and action sequences.

I'm ok with fanservice (I like boobs) as long as its just a feature and not the core of the show. Also female characters that only exist to be amazed by the MC can get pretty tiring.

Wvrs

I don't think it does, as a rule. I've watched and loved Attack on Titan, Death Note (although it went downhill towards the end) and One Punch Man. Aside from that, Studio Ghibli, and a smattering of kids' anime I watched when I was younger, anime doesn't really do it for me. I particularly struggle to enjoy anything that's at the further end of the 'kooky' spectrum, for want of a better word.

But I'll watch anything with good writing, character depth, plot and production. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has them.

I'm drawn to all kinds of things.

Strong character work (Ping Pong the Animation, Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju)

A unique aesthetic (Kaiba, Mononoke, The Tatami Galaxy)

Excellent animation (Mob Psycho 100, Redline)

Solid world-building (Shinsekai Yori, Planetes)

Engrossing atmosphere (Mushishi, Kino's Journey, Haibane Renmei)

I also have a soft spot for shows about ambitious people working to make their dreams a reality (Shirobako, Space Brothers, a ton of sports anime).

I generally try to avoid long-running shounen series and romance-heavy shows.

rackham

Banned
Smart characters. Good unique plot. Good dub. Good dialogue.

90+% of anime treats women like actual retarded (I mean that word) garbage. They're there to look pretty in ridiculous situations and to feed the main character absolutely ridiculous bullshit. I can't even stand to talk about how bad anime is.

At least there will always be Yu Yu Hakusho.

1. Art Style and animation.
2. Likeable and interesting characters. All with their own personality and are unique that makes a healthy dynamic for the story moving forward. Character building is also very important
3. Great stories that stay consistent throughout the show.

What I don't like

1. Certain Genres and Themes. I'm not a fan of Gundam and fantasy anime or any kiddy chibi style. I'm more into drama, action, adventure and anything mature. Shonen types are really just exclusive to HxH, One Piece, DB, MHA and Boruto....that's it for me.

2. Fan service. I hate everything about this genre and the how much they are in animes...it's disgusting and I hate it.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
If ANIMEGAF loves a show its must be crap....Steins Gate (garbage), Fate/Zero (so bad)

If ANIMEGAF hates a show it must be great....Macross Delta (best macross since 7), Sword Art Online I & II (both really good)

This is my system and it works 90% of the time...also this is not a joke post animegaf is on some bizarro world shit when it comes to anime.

Kthulhu

1. No excessive fanservice (unless it's one of those kind of shows)

2. Well written

3. Well animated

4. Being original (in terms of plot and characters)

If ANIMEGAF loves a show its must be crap....Steins Gate (garbage), Fate/Zero (so bad)

If ANIMEGAF hates a show it must be great....Macross Delta (best macross since 7), Sword Art Online I & II (both really good)

This is my system and it works 90% of the time...also this is not a joke post animegaf is on some bizarro world shit when it comes to anime.

I think you just have bad taste.

SAO is hated everywhere, not just on GAF. Same with Steins;Gate and Fate/Zero.

Hexa

Why do you like Delta? I don't hate it, but thought it was seriously lacking compared to Frontier. Too many characters and not enough development for the main ones. Action/Music sequences not being as epic and the finale being no where near as epic. Long stretches where not much happens except infodumping. And also the fact that heroes can't manage to win at all right up to the end. Lots of issues imo.

I think you just have bad taste.

SAO is hated everywhere, not just on GAF. Same with Steins;Gate and Fate/Zero.

Nah. SAO is received pretty well overall. But the people that hate it really seem to hate it.

first and foremost i hate not dislike, hate, super cute/moe shit specially when the MCs are kids (madoka magic, etc)

ive been watching and reading for a while now so i cant stand super lame MCs anymore, maybe 10-15 years ago but now i just cant. they become too boring and predictable (more) than usual anime

for example, i got hooked on Knights and Magic for some reason, i thought i was gonna dislike it but it is dope as fuck

also Saga of Tanya The Evil, another dope anime, got hooked because it wasnt your usual 10000 yr old demon fuckery

Loona

First of all a show has to respect both its characters and its audience, which automatically filters out a bunch of fanservicy trash. Beyond that:

* An interesting setting
Ex.:
Log Horizon - takes actual MMO gameplay mechanics and works them into cohesive world building the characters have to try and build a sustainable society in.

* Story goes meta or dabbles with the concept or creativity in some way, and how that clashes with reality
Ex.:
Re:Creators - characters from several kinds of fiction manifest in the real world and clash with its more nuanced realities and each other's tones, and confront their creators about the realities inflicted on them;
Abenobashi - a character about to see life as he knows it fall apart through changes in his neighborhood find himself transported to all sort of worlds based on things he likes, gradually discovering that he's unconsciously causing that, and that something related has been heavily involved in his family's history.

* A concept that's incredibly silly but executed in a fun way
Ex:
Girls und Panzer - competing in WW2-era tanks is a lady-like sport practiced between schools for girls which appear to be the linchpin of cities build on airplane carriers, and the whole thing is steeped in a passion for the history and engineering of the WW2 era, which would make for a weird combination, but then the combat coreography is insane in the best possible way
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency - people with sun-based martial arts fight naked men that eat vampires, but the protagonist is a joy to see in action.

* Something slice-of-life that touches on some topic of interest
Ex.:
Genshiken - shenanigans of a college club that revolves around geeky hobbies; the focus of the club served as the "bait", but the character dynamics develop in interesting ways
Silver Spoon - life in an agriculture-focused school, with more than a few interesting lessons and fun moments along the way

Arrrammis

(Preface: Hunter x Hunter is one of my favorite animes, so I'll be using a few examples from there. Will spoiler tag them.)
I wouldn't say that this is would be a checklist for making a good anime, but in general there are some things I look for in a good anime:
- Very little to no fanservice. If you want to occasionally spend an episode showing what happened to a side character that split from the party a while back, that's great! But if you constantly lean on the "waifu" material instead of progressing the story and characters... Ugh.
- Characters with their own motivations, often completely unrelated to the protag. For example, every character in HxH, from the nobody that helps the protag along, to the trusty sidekick, to the archnemesis, has their own motivation that is often unrelated to the protagonist. In fact, there is only
1 antagonist (Hisoka) who directly challenges and fights Gon through the entire show
- Well designed animations. I recognize and appreciate that different animes have different animation styles, but there's definitely times when the animation is just flat out bad (looking at you, early Dragon Ball Super).
- Well managed power creep. If the solution is to just keep increasing the antagonist's power level (>_> DBZ) , I can't help but feel that the writers are taking the easy way out. To again reference HxH, I like the way that power is handled. You can have all of the raw power in the world, but because of the limits of
Nen
the person who uses their power most creatively will almost always beat someone who is just relying on raw strength.

MogCakes

Madoka Magica is definitely not for everyone, but it is so weird to see it listed as an example of a super-cute-girls-doing-cute-things show that I have to comment.

9bF1s47.gif

xVUzK5p.gif

3pOqAk9.gif
It might be a deconstruction of magical girls, but its aesthetic is without a doubt cute girls doing things.

Izayoi

Banned
All about the budget for me.

The more expensive it was to make, the hotter it gets me under the collar.

Loooove that high budget look, baby.

Tagyhag

An anime series hasn't clicked with me for a long time.

Back when I was younger, it was if the action scenes were cool.

When I got older it was mostly about the characters and since I used to watch anime before going to sleep I would stick with slow paced, slice-of-life anime that helped me relax. (There was a specific winter episode of Haruhi Suzumiya that I remember where the main thing was having to buy a heater. Stuff like that was great)

Last anime I watched was Your Name so I think it's still all about slow pace stuff for me. As a huge Dragonball fan I don't think I could get back into watching Super.

Jarate

Banned
An anime series hasn't clicked with me for a long time.

Back when I was younger, it was if the action scenes were cool.

When I got older it was mostly about the characters and since I used to watch anime before going to sleep I would stick with slow paced, slice-of-life anime that helped me relax. (There was a specific winter episode of Haruhi Suzumiya that I remember where the main thing was having to buy a heater. Stuff like that was great)

Last anime I watched was Your Name so I think it's still all about slow pace stuff for me. As a huge Dragonball fan I don't think I could get back into watching Super.

Ping Pong the Animation dawg

TissueBox

CGDCT is I guess partially applicable to Madoka... but it might also be a tad misleading out of context lol. Anything that comes out of Urobuchi is mad and almost too easy to fall in love with for me... also made my fav VN, Saya no Uta.

My current avy comes from Yama no Susume which is an absolute CGDCT-fest though... but it's the simple adjustment story and uplifting lightheartedness that makes it so effective for me. These days I've been veering toward series that eschew nihilism and complex irony for innocence and kinship... though if it's well written (and animated) I will watch it regardless.

However I still believe moe is anime's greatest mistake since Green Green. *shakes head*

In any case Yama no Susume's only like 30 minutes to watch wholly, go check it out. ^^' 2nd season's a bit bigger though. Once it's done you'll be ready to climb a mountain!

- Good characters that are well rounded in personality and not walking social disorders, aka singular tropes.

- interesting world and setting

- compelling reason for the show to exist in the first place, be that serious drama or comedy, if it can keep its focus im in probably.

- none, or age appropriate for the character fanserivce. I love skanky over the top female or male in some cases characters, but please keep it adults.

- Cool but not edge lord blood everywhere nonsense.

- Shows that have a message or meaning behind them. Political, societial, psychological and what not.

Its been hard to find shows with all of these the last 15 or so years with the doubling down on otaku culture and rabid fan based marketing but they still exist. I would say very few if any anime are perfect but some are easy enough to appriciate.

I mostly stick to Gundam these days since even when they are not great, they tend to avoid a lot of the more annoying anime tropes. Been too many shows where it starts interesting then just loses me at the drop of a hat or I can:t get invested in it anymore.

MadeULook

I always finish a show so I can have a full opinion on it so I'm usually careful of what I watch. I've forced myself though some trash and even bought some trash.

Usually if the characters click with me early on, that's a pretty good sign. It's my biggest indicator that I'll like a show in general. Nice artwork, animation, and storytelling is great but it don't mean shit if I don't care about what's happening to the characters in the anime. Well, at least it gives my eyes a treat for the next 5-10 hours... Maybe.

Other times I just want something fun like Space Dandy or Outlaw Star. Perhaps something bad I can laugh at with a few friends, such as Elfen Lied or School Days. Being in the right mood for something can really help make something click too.

kamakazi5

"Wait, the episode is over already?"

That said, I really need an overarching plot(s). One story per episode-esque anime like Gintama and Sket Dance really don't work for me.

I never really thought about it but I think I'm the opposite. I tend to lose interest in any show that has a drawn out story. I should try those two and see how I like them.

HardRojo

I like Death Note, Dragon Ball, Jojo, Hunter X Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Captain Tsubasa, Bleach, Full Metal Alchemist, Attack on Titan, CLANNAD, Code Geass, Saint Seiya, Digimon (first season), Magic Knight Rayearth, Card Captor Sakura, D.Gray-Man, Rurouni Kenshin... off the top of my head.

Guess I'm not a big fan of slice of life anime and those that over sexualize little girls, or the harem style or whatever. Mostly fan of shounen anime I suppose.

Stuff that isn't as blatantly stupid and downright facepalm worthy as Kill la Kill.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
No fan service. Characters with human motivations. Good animation. A definite ending. Basically the same standards I hold any cartoon to as an adult regardless of origin.

99Luffy

Banned
I cant get into anime that looks too anime. You know, like when they draw the eyebrows on top the hair. So annoying.

I know this is kind of a silly requirement, hopefully one day I'll get over it because everyone keeps telling me to watch Hunter x Hunter.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
"Wait, the episode is over already?"

That said, I really need an overarching plot(s). One story per episode-esque anime like Gintama and Sket Dance really don't work for me.

What's funny is that I was watching Death Note earlier today, and I couldn't remember how many episodes I have sat through already. They flow into one-another that well.

But on-topic, I like me a climax that makes my dick rock hard. Gurren Lagann being the standout in this regard.

Sora_N

Character designs and animation
Interesting first few episodes (premise)

I would say good voice cast but I've rarely watched anything that's natively Japanese that was awful in a long time voice wise.

I'm open to all genres except super occult stuff, horror and yaoi so most things are acceptable to me.

munchie64

A creative or unique idea or take is the thing that hooks me into anime the easiest. Of course, if the execution is good I can forgive a lot of unoriginal stuff.

Characters are probably the thing that can turn me off an anime the easiest so that helps with the "click" too.

Even though I don't like it, fanservice is OK depending on what the show is trying to do. Particular kinds (certainly not all) of slice of life or comedies have it fit in with the tone just fine. If I'm supposed to take things seriously with a bunch of panty shots shoved in my face, then fuck that.

SalvaPot

Hmm, I just have to be entertained. My favorites are clearly comedies, sports and shonen. I also noticed that I am a sucker for Slice of Life Romantic Comedies, so I guess that too.

Since people mentioned Madoka Magica, I really dislike it and its mostly because the drama is so dumb.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Hmm, I just have to be entertained. My favorites are clearly comedies, sports and shonen. I also noticed that I am a sucker for Slice of Life Romantic Comedies, so I guess that too.

Since people mentioned Madoka Magica, I really dislike it and its mostly because the drama is so dumb.

b8a.png

Triteon

I watch anime just like i watch regular TV. So it depends what im in the mood for. Though its usually comedy or chill ATM. But that might be because no action or drama has hooked me for a while.

Recently ive been wanting relax and ive found the slow pace and chillness of some animes to be really soothing. Things like mushishi, Azumanga Daioh, Natsume, sakura quest are grabbing my attention.

I like comedy stuff as well, in all kinds but i generally want the joke to have a better punchline than "sex wooooo, isnt that embarrassing". That being said Osomatsu's juvenile humour really worked for me.

I also think the way it looks is important, but not essential. Especially in a comedy, if the jokes hit then im ok with average/bad looking stuff.

Top Bottom