• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unity Has An Image Problem (Jimquisition 7/24/17)

Gold_Loot

Is it basically a repeat of what's in this thread?

0Qm7v1v.png
The average gamer doesn't care what engine a game's engine is in. Only the harder core.

MrBadger

Unity is easy to use. Anyone can get a shitty game running in it. A lot of people do just that. It's not Unity's problem anymore than bad Photoshops are Adobe's problem.

Completely agreed. Plus so what if it's free, easy to use and a lot of the results are shit? Most people start off making garbage with easy-to-use tools. That's how you learn and improve.

Plus I really don't think shitty asset flips are as much of an issue as Jim Sterling says they are. I disagree with them being on Steam and sold for real money, but I never tend to come across them when I'm not actively looking for them.

Actually...

I feel like Jim really missed the mark in this video.

Unity allows garbage to be made with their engine because making garbage is how you learn. And if you get someone to learn on your platform, they might become a professional on your platform later (see Microsoft Office, Adobe).

8797266167c34c67372ab7887cfdea2a303f2ef6c554a47607689e1232a3f9da.jpg

Why are we getting mad at Unity for letting students and aspiring developers show some pride in their projects? Sure, they might be awful games, but it just seems like seriously misplaced anger to get mad at the engine or the developer for providing a creative outlet and professional toolset to those with a hint of aspiration.

Steam is the digital video game distributor. Steam should solely share the blame for allowing garbage to be sold and distributed on their marketplace.

Sony and Microsoft both have fairly rigorous QA and certification processes that prevent the same garbage from reaching their marketplaces, and while they're not perfect, they're way better than Steam.

I also don't think he responded to Adrian Forest's point, which is that there's obviously some sort of consumer misinformation about what a "game engine" is and what it does. If consumers are rejecting a game based on its engine, then they probably don't have a great grasp of the role of the engine in the development process.

everything I wanted to say was said better here.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Completely agreed. Plus so what if it's free, easy to use and a lot of the results are shit? Most people start off making garbage with easy-to-use tools. That's how you learn and improve.

Plus I really don't think shitty asset flips are as much of an issue as Jim Sterling says they are. I disagree with them being on Steam and sold for real money, but I never tend to come across them when I'm not actively looking for them.

Actually...

everything I wanted to say was said better here.
Concerning that post, we can straight up link to the free version of Unity. As well as a suite of tutorials online.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
It's hardly Unity's fault that people are making shit games with it.

Well, they force people that make shitty games to show the Unity logo at the start. So yes, it is also their fault. That logo should be restricted to games that run well and the public perception would be much better.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Do we have a podquisiton thread? I love Jim and Laura as much as one can love internet video game journalists but it's a bit of a downer how misinformed they are with some of what they're saying.

Top Bottom