• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just noticed that Bob's Burgers is the number one most watched show on Hulu

Rell

Why so many people hating on Hulu? For $12 a month it's no commercials or any of the bullshit with their cheaper service (do they even still offer this?).

Phased

Why so many people hating on Hulu? For $12 a month it's no commercials or any of the bullshit with their cheaper service (do they even still offer this?).

Used to be free and people got used to it.

Between Hulu and Netflix I have no need for cable anymore so i dont mind paying for both.

It's a great show that can be watched over and over. Was my go to background show while I did chores. Pissed it's of Netflix how am I supposed to watch the greatest Christmas episode ever from any sitcom/cartoon. I'll fight anyone who says otherwise

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Hulu is a company owned by the major broadcast networks. They lose money on it every year. It is not a real business and it is not designed to make money or grow. The sole purpose for it existing is to give them leverage against Netflix and help slow the tide of people cord cutting. It is literally a product designed to make your viewing experience worse by crippling competitors that users like and benefit the people who own the content.

I don't disagree that at $12 it probably earns its value and that if you subscribe to Hulu you can be reasonably happy with what you're getting, but it's very rational to hate on Hulu.

Mindwipe

Hulu is a company owned by the major broadcast networks. They lose money on it every year. It is not a real business and it is not designed to make money or grow. The sole purpose for it existing is to give them leverage against Netflix and help slow the tide of people cord cutting. It is literally a product designed to make your viewing experience worse by crippling competitors that users like and benefit the people who own the content.

I don't disagree that at $12 it probably earns its value and that if you subscribe to Hulu you can be reasonably happy with what you're getting, but it's very rational to hate on Hulu.

Hulu doesn't lose any more money than Netflix does. It's absolutely designed to grow into an independent asset.

The Hulu hate is completely irrational.

Bob's Burgers is fantastic. I never watched it for years because I was a little off-put by the artstyle (the people just looked so odd), but my girlfriend watched the show before falling asleep every night so I finally got to see it and it was absolutely hilarious.

I'm not a fan of Archer anymore (got tired of the writing and character by season 2 or 3), so having such a consistently hilarious show with H. Jon Benjamin's voice was fantastic to find.

Also pretty great seeing Golden Girls on the list. Another show my girlfirend likes to put on in the background while doing stuff and I'd never seen it before. It's a little crazy to me that this show was on the air when it was, it feels like the kind of sex heavy show you only got in the last 10 years or so. I guess it's because it's mostly just talking about it instead of showing it.

Seinfeld's probably the next older show I want to get into. I've seen it here and there so I know how funny it is, but I don't think I ever just sat down and watched a whole episode before.
Used to be free and people got used to it.

Between Hulu and Netflix I have no need for cable anymore so i dont mind paying for both.
Yeah, Add Sling for live TV and DVR for the few shows that aren't on Hulu and Netflix and I'm set. Even the few shows that have commercials before and after the show plays don't bother me. The commercials are short and you can just skip the end of episode one by backing out and selecting the next episode manually.

I also occasionally subscribe to HBO/Showtime/Starz streaming apps whenever there's a show I like on, so I only need them for a few months every year.

Even with all of those going at once, I'm still paying under half of what Xfinity was charging us for a million channels we never watch with commercials.

Lombax

Banned
Hulu doesn't lose any more money than Netflix does. It's absolutely designed to grow into an independent asset.

The Hulu hate is completely irrational.

The one thing at the moment that pisses me off about hulu / adult swim is not adding new episodes of Rick and Morty to the service in a timely manner.

I get that they want you to watch it on cable or on the adult swim site, but it makes me considering canceling our subscription.

Redd

Bob's Burgers is a great show. I have it up there with Home Movies and can easily watch every season.

I don't know what it is, but there's just something about Bob's Burgers that makes it the perfect show to make as background noise.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
giphy.gif

Bob's Burgers is really good. It's like Simpsons 2-10 esque for me today... Not that it's necessarily as good or ground breaking, but the episodes typically have the perfect balance of charm, humor, hyjinks, and some episodes end up being surprisingly edgy comically... Where you say like, "Oh, I'm surprised they can do that on a cartoon like this..."

It's a great show and I love it. It's one of the 'just turn something on' shows that my wife and I have, along with Parks & Rec and Always Sunny.

Hulu used to have a really shitty app experience, the quality was worse than others, and it always seemed like B-tier streaming service. When they introduced ads into their pay model some years ago, I thought that was shitty. Haven't really gone back since.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The one thing no one ever talks about is that the music in Bob's Burgers is some of the best stuff to come out of animated series in a long time. Its not only consistent in its hilarity but the actual sounds are often very clever and catchy and even the covers of songs are often really well done. I mean during the Goonies parody episode they actually got Cindy Lauper to write and perform a parody of the song she did for the actual Goonies movie.

Ravelle

I need to catch up sometime, I believe I've seen only the first two seasons.

Not on Hulu though, I already pay for another service and to pay them and still get commercials, the same commercials every time shoved into my face is gross, especially if it's just for one show.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Why is animation so popular on Hulu? Still, good for BB.

They usually contain self contained episodes that are easy to put in the background plus a consumer base that skews younger. Futurama used to do gang busters for Adult Swim until they lost the rights.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
We cut the cable, got Hulu and never looked back. Lack of CBS is all that hurts it really. Also it seems like the worst ads get is one before and one AFTER the show.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Love Hulu. They also got the rights to Family Matters and are putting it up next month.

The first season of BB had some very rough spots. Skip ahead if it doesn't click.
Agree with this. It wasn't so much that I found it rough, I enjoyed it but it wasn't laugh out loud funny. But I think they just stepped up the game from the first episode of S2 onwards.

And it really does scratch that classic era Simpsons itch. They have proper A and B stories and a good supporting cast of characters.

Redd

I need to catch up sometime, I believe I've seen only the first two seasons.

Not on Hulu though, I already pay for another service and to pay them and still get commercials, the same commercials every time shoved into my face is gross, especially if it's just for one show.

There's ad free hulu. What I do is sub to Hulu every 6 months then Netflix every 6 months and catch up on all the exclusives.

Top Bottom