• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bought a PS4 Pro, have a flickering issue

CREMSteve

Have had a PS4 for a few years and never had an issue. Picked up a Pro yesterday and plugged it in this morning, currently performing the transfer of data from one system to the other.

Screen is flickering though. Tried different HDMI cables, no difference. Screen on the normal PS4 isn't flickering. Anyone experienced this before?

I've googled and seen the deep colour setting may be causing the issue. Once the transfer is done, it will be the first thing I try disabling.

TV is a new Panny 4K with HDR.

CREMSteve

I'll try the deep colour thing on the standard PS4, and see if it starts flickering too. If it does, then the issue is the receiver. If it doesn't, maybe I'll have to return the Pro.

Gotta wait for the transfer to finish up first though.

CREMSteve

Did you use the Pro at all before you started the transfer? If so, was it flickering then?
It went right into a firmware update when I first booted it up. There was some funky flickering happening during the update as well. Once it was done and rebooted, it became the flickering I'm seeing now. I am assuming it's because deep colour is on by default, but not sure.

Proc

My pro was flickering. Now it shuts off on its own without prolonged use. It won't even stay on long enough for a system restore.

I'd take it back to the retailer if you can. I'm waiting for my coffin and have been told it could take up to 10 business days.

CREMSteve

Interesting, I can flip back and forth from tv to game, and the flickering seems to be random. Sometimes when I flip back, it flickers like a mofo, and others it completely stops.

Head.spawn

I'd try and return it to be honest. That's your good money, i wouldn't use out to find a quick fix, only for it to exacerbate at a later date.

Maybe try a different tv to be sure?

CREMSteve

Definitely a receiver issue. Unplugged the receiver and went for a straight PS4 to tv connection. No issues.

I think the problem may be the Pro is a 4K device and the receiver isn't?

Kilau

If the flickering is gone with a direct connection to the TV then it's a receiver or possibly HDMI cable issue.

Have you tried turning HDCP off? The only time I've had any flickering on PS4 was when I used an HDMI switch and had HDCP on, with HDCP off there was no flickering even with the switch.

I've noticed my pro will sometimes flicker to a black screen for a split second within the first few minutes of certain games. I've seen it happen with ratchet and clank and horizon, but never with yakuza 0. Not sure if it's related to games with hdr/pro support only or something to do with the psvr passthrough. It only happens once within the first few minutes of loading a game and then never again during that session. Doesn't happen every time either. My tv is only 1080p and I'm not running it through a receiver.

ss_lemonade

My PS3 would have flickering issues with certain cables when enabling deep color. Same thing with my 4k bluray player and 4k/HDR discs. Maybe similar problem?

Korso

What game/s are you having the issue with?

I ask because I've been playing Ghost Recon: Wildlands and have had occasional flickering. But only with that game.

Pizza

Do you have an LG tv? Do you have an HDMI splitter? I've had a ps4 for awhile, no flikering on anything but my dad's tv Through the splitter

The Goat

It's a known issue, but I'm not sure Sony is doing anything about it. Changing cables, etc. won't help, so don't bother. Don't put the PS4 in rest mode, always fully shut it down. The issue will resurface, but you might get some play time in before it happens.

Sorry for the bump, but out of no where, my Pro just started doing this today. It's been working perfectly for the month that I've owned it.

Tv is brand new, and I've tried other ports/devices, and everything on the TV is working fine.

The PS4 only flickers in 4K. Anyone know what's going on? How do I solve this?

SRTtoZ

I've noticed my pro will sometimes flicker to a black screen for a split second within the first few minutes of certain games. I've seen it happen with ratchet and clank and horizon, but never with yakuza 0. Not sure if it's related to games with hdr/pro support only or something to do with the psvr passthrough. It only happens once within the first few minutes of loading a game and then never again during that session. Doesn't happen every time either. My tv is only 1080p and I'm not running it through a receiver.

That's usually because it's switching resolution or HDR.

Onto the topic at hand I have a new Destiny PS4 Pro and I have no flickering but I notice the audio cuts out for a split second every once in a while. Not a huge deal but annoying. I read others had the same issue even after returning the system. Other than that I love the system.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Have had a PS4 for a few years and never had an issue. Picked up a Pro yesterday and plugged it in this morning, currently performing the transfer of data from one system to the other.

Screen is flickering though. Tried different HDMI cables, no difference. Screen on the normal PS4 isn't flickering. Anyone experienced this before?

I've googled and seen the deep colour setting may be causing the issue. Once the transfer is done, it will be the first thing I try disabling.

TV is a new Panny 4K with HDR.

Try setting it to YBCR instead of RGB.

Rellik

This happened to me after the latest OS update on the Pro. I tried everything that was suggested online for this problem and nothing worked. I even ordered a new HDMI cable. Turns out it was my Kinivo HDMI switch which are well known to die after some time. Direct connection to the TV fixed it.

LOLCats

Banned
Definitely a receiver issue. Unplugged the receiver and went for a straight PS4 to tv connection. No issues.

I think the problem may be the Pro is a 4K device and the receiver isn't?

What reciever do you have. Some have hdr passthrough but its off by default.

Top Bottom