• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow plays Breath of the Wild

Status
Not open for further replies.
It happened last night. The video is archived on Twitch. The video is just short of four hours.

He seems kind of down on it so far, although he hasn't gone far into the game past the tutorial area. I hope he keeps playing it. I want to hear his thoughts on it after getting a taste of the full experience.

Does he find any Koroks? Would be interesting seeing his opinion on them considering the
environmental puzzles on the Witness are basically a more dynamic version of them.

the biggest problem of those first 4 hours was that some convinced him to use pro mode right after starting. he had no idea what to do, and just tried going down the plateau numerous times.
hoping he can put that behind and doesnt let that sour his experience.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
the biggest problem of those first 4 hours was that some convinced him to use pro mode right after starting. he had no idea what to do, and just tried going down the plateau numerous times.
hoping he can put that behind and doesnt let that sour his experience.

Yeah, don't turn Pro off until you leave the plateau (or are an experienced player). It exists for a reason!

Amir0x

Banned
His first four hours were really similar to my experience, sans the pro problems. I continued to play 20 hours and my issues magnified until I actually returned it to my brother in law. I have never in my entire life played a Zelda game and not beat it. I even beat Phantom Hourglass and that was probably my biggest Zelda disappointment. This was a first, I was crushed. Love the concept of a big open world Zelda, but there are like six major baffling game design decisions that just built off one another to ultimately have me bow out. Still hurts :(

Yeah, I turned on pro mode after I talked to Impa. It's cool that the game is designed to be completely playable without it but if you're not good at it you'll need to improve before you turn it on.

Charamiwa

Banned
Is he doing it on purpose? Granted I haven't watched the whole thing but I jumped ahead to get a feel of the playthrough and at the magnesis tutorial he's just trying to climb a barrier in a shrine you obviously can't climb and he yells "climb! climb!"

What's the angle here?

edit: seriously how can the creator of The Witness get stuck at the damn magnesis tutorial lol

Charamiwa

Banned
Okay from the little I saw it seems like the typical playthrough of a guy who refuses to meet a game halfway. He sounds so damn confrontational.

I guess people told him to play it because the game adresses his Zelda formula criticism? Bet they didn't expect that lol

Him at around the 1 hour and 35 minute mark complaining about camera and thinking the broken guardian is a boss is just hilarious.

The guy is pretty clueless for a game developer.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I honest to God thought he was trying to pull a DSP...

I mean, off screen streaming? What is this, the early 2010s?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Same old Blow. He hosted a conference on how Bioshock 1 was such a terrible game.

Sorry Blow, you're not as good of a developer as you think you are.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Same old Blow. He hosted a conference on how Bioshock 1 was such a terrible game.

I feel like that's a much easier sell than this stream. "Terrible" is too harsh, but isn't the consensus that it didn't age well at all?

2 hour 18 minute mark

Can't figure out how to light a

lol

He's got to be purposefully trolling.

It's ironic that the guy who doesn't want games to hold your hand can't figure anything out for shit.

the confirmation bias was really strong in this one. He wanted to hate it, and boy did he hate it.

The Dink

Nah, Blow's a good developer. He's just fueled by his jaded hatred for games he hasn't worked on. Which makes most of his criticisms of other games useless most of the time.

EDIT: Case in point this video. Had to stop watching at around 30 minutes. He sounds like a man that has forgotten joy.

Hindl

I feel like that's a much easier sell than this stream. "Terrible" is too harsh, but isn't the consensus that it didn't age well at all?
It didn't age well, but that doesn't mean it's terrible. The large majority of games from the PS1/N64 generation didn't age well, but that doesn't take away from what they were at the time

Greddleok

Blow likes video games? I thought he just made some pretentious stuff and moaned about how people don't understand him or the stuff he makes.

His first four hours were really similar to my experience, sans the pro problems. I continued to play 20 hours and my issues magnified until I actually returned it to my brother in law. I have never in my entire life played a Zelda game and not beat it. I even beat Phantom Hourglass and that was probably my biggest Zelda disappointment. This was a first, I was crushed. Love the concept of a big open world Zelda, but there are like six major baffling game design decisions that just built off one another to ultimately have me bow out. Still hurts :(

I borrowed the Switch and Zelda to try both out. I wasn't too impressed either.

I honestly don't think he likes anything he hasn't done himself.

He thought Stephen's sausage roll was the game of the year in the year the witness came out

Blow likes video games? I thought he just made some pretentious stuff and moaned about how people don't understand him or the stuff he makes.

Braid and The witness both were released to near universal critical acclaim.

Is today "really stupid hot take day" or something?

It's ironic that the guy who doesn't want games to hold your hand can't figure anything out for shit.

the confirmation bias was really strong in this one. He wanted to hate it, and boy did he hate it.

Maybe he's just awful at video games, so he makes them instead. That way he knows how to beat them.

Also, maybe it's that whole thing: those that can't do, teach, sort of deal.

He's definitely not going to like it. I can imagine a couple of things making him perk up briefly but on the whole I can't imagine it's his bag at all.

Game is incredible in Pro mode (most HUD off)

It's not about being his bag or not, it's about being painfully bad at playing games. It is surreal to see the guy struggle that much to do basic actions, Pro mode or not.

daxy

Haven't had a chance to watch the vid yet, but I see this thread is going places already.

You don't need to be able to agree with everything someone says for that person to be acknowledged as talented or smart.

In fact, you should probably question the honesty and integrity of the person you agree with on each and every point all the more, because you're probably thinking of a person whose job it is to appease as broad an audience as possible, e.g. politicians, advertisers, or mainsteam 'media personalities'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom