• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

About publishers, devs and the general state of the industry

A.Romero

With the recent news regarding Visceral games, the old meme of EA being the source of all evil in the industry has regained strength.

In my social circle there is a guy who always feels the publishers are to blame when studios are disbanded or IP's are shelved. As a fan of the industry itself, I feel this argument is a bit superficial and feel the issue is much deeper than just a company as EA seeking to destroy the industry.

Obviously publishers make bad decisions all the time but I also believe that devs have a lot of the responsibility in how the industry works.

Taking Visceral as an example, I'm pretty sure that EA decided to take a risk when funding the first game. By then, EA already had a reputation of destroying studios and IP's so why Visceral decided to go and work with them? I'd argue that maybe no other publisher could or wanted to take the risk so Visceral decided to work with EA.

Also, why studios decide to sell themselves to publishers like EA? In my opinion it's easy: because they also like to make money and that's very respectable. However, in this sense, I feel studios hold as much of the blame as the publisher.

Maybe without EA Dead Space would have never seen the light and Visceral maybe would have closed long ago. From this perspective, does the publisher participation really represent a negative impact in the industry? I feel not.

In my opinion studios always have the choice to just working as an indie studio, like many have chosen with different degrees of success. In this sense, when consumers feel betrayed by the publisher, wouldn't be appropriate for them to feel betrayed by the studios as well? I mean, EA and other publishers don't steal the IPs, they purchase it. The original holders can decide to not compromise their freedom and just run with the risk themselves like the Cuphead devs did.

On the other hand, there are examples in the industry of devs going solo and just fucking it up themselves as well (Mighty number 9 comes to mind, for example).

What do you think GAF? Are the publishers really the cancer of the industry or is just the way the industry works?

Couldn't studios just decide to work with less funding and assuming the risks of developing games in order to not compromise creative freedom?

Syril

Was Visceral ever an independent company in the first place? They were originally called EA Redwood Shores.

A.Romero

Was Visceral ever an independent company in the first place? They were originally called EA Redwood Shores.

Did not know that but that just adds to the point. Right? If it wasn't for EA, Visceral just wouldn't exist at all.

So isn't it kind of misguided to feel betrayed by a publisher because of closing a studio?

LordRaptor

I don't know why studios sell to EA tbh.
Its like being a trophy wife for a billionaire.

Sure, you get all the perks short term, but if you put on any weight or stop putting out, he's divorcing your prenupped ass for a younger sluttier model.

Apathy

To be honest it's shared fault. The publishers giving out way more money than required expecting to increase revenues by unreasonable percentages and developers that readily take the money and do use it to create not worlds they maybe didn't have to and not saying no to it.

Vlade

I think the example here is precisely one that demonstrates that the publisher calls the shots (scope of a game, etc), handles the money, chooses when to use credibility to sell out new money making schemes, and closed the doors of devs when it sees fit. It's a situation that I don't understand the argument that there even could reasonably be shared fault.

edit:
Did not know that but that just adds to the point. Right? If it wasn't for EA, Visceral just wouldn't exist at all.

So isn't it kind of misguided to feel betrayed by a publisher because of closing a studio?

point remains that it is entirely EAs "fault"

Kill3r7

I don't know why studios sell to EA tbh.
Its like being a trophy wife for a billionaire.

Sure, you get all the perks short term, but if you put on any weight or stop putting out, he's divorcing your prenupped ass for a younger sluttier model.

Money. Ambition. Short term security, financially. Probably because being independent is stressful and fincancially untenable long term.

A.Romero

To be honest it's shared fault. The publishers giving out way more money than required expecting to increase revenues by unreasonable percentages and developers that readily take the money and do use it to create not worlds they maybe didn't have to and not saying no to it.

I feel the same way. I think its just the industry works...

The real negative result is very passionate people working on a unstable industry.

Stygr

Banned
EA closed the study but a lot of the staff went to other EA worldwide studios iirc.

I mean, they closed a studio and a name, they didn't fire all the staff.

And that is how business works, Visceral Games flopped with 3 games and EA gave them a lot of opportunity after DS2, but when u flop with DS 3, Army of Two and Hardline you are done.

EA is a mega corporation, they want profit from their games and IP, they spend a TON of money, but if you waste their money, you'll close soon or later.

BioWare has another shot with ANTHEM, if this flops or underperformed say bye bye to BioWare.

DICE is the only EA studio "untouchable" and EA Sport division too.

A.Romero

I think the example here is precisely one that demonstrates that the publisher calls the shots (scope of a game, etc), handles the money, chooses when to use credibility to sell out new money making schemes, and closed the doors of devs when it sees fit. It's a situation that I don't understand the argument that there even could reasonably be shared fault.

edit:

point remains that it is entirely EAs "fault"

Totally, and in this case you are right but wouldn't that mean that EA doesn't exist just to fuck things up as people suggest in threads regarding studios closing?

I mean, yes, they make bad decisions and they cost them dearly but they also make good decisions and create good products.

A.Romero

EA closed the study but a lot of the staff went to other EA worldwide studios iirc.

I mean, they closed a studio and a name, they didn't fire all the staff.

And that is how business works, Visceral Games flopped with 3 games and EA gave them a lot of opportunity after DS2, but when u flop with DS 3, Army of Two and Hardline you are done.

EA is a mega corporation, they want profit from their games and IP, they spend a TON of money, but if you waste their money, you'll close soon or later.

BioWare has another shot with ANTHEM, if this flops or underperformed say bye bye to BioWare.

DICE is the only EA studio "untouchable" and EA Sport division too.

This is somewhat my opinion as well. I mean, I agree that they want to make money and obviously they will drop teams and IP's that are under performing but sometimes said teams argue that the games under perform because EA influences the creative process negatively.

Aters

That Star War game missed two E3s. I'd say EA is patient enough. The studio clearly doean't have the capability to deliver such a project.

Stygr

Banned
That Star War game missed two E3s. I'd say EA is patient enough. The studio clearly doean't have the capability to deliver such a project.

Probably this is true, but the crowd will skip this and shit on publishers when they close studios.

Kill3r7

Sure, and Bluebeard is very rich and powerful.
He's still Bluebeard.

Correct but maybe Bluebeard is the only John that is interested or maybe they offer the most money or best terms. I have no idea but given the amount of evidence EA is pretty good at closing deals.

Top Bottom