• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube pet peeves

Sami+

So I've been on a bit of a Pokémon kick the past few days and have been watching a bunch of Pokémon related content on YouTube to scratch that itch. Most of it's interesting enough stuff, but I'm really getting annoyed with seeing this shit every three videos:

"So without further ado, let's get-"
Interruption
Cut to another YouTuber I've never heard of
"Are you talking about ___?? I love ___. I'll take it from here!"
Some variation of "Hey, no, this is my review" or "where did you come from"
Awkwardly written and acted banter
"Ok fine you can help with the review"
Cut to the content I wanted to watch in the first place

Why the fuck does everyone still do this? I swear it's been a cliche for literally years now. Silly skits are bad enough in what would otherwise be informative content, but when your skit is just the same tired thing thats been done a million times already I really don't see the point. A "for this video we'll be joined by my friend ___" would be rad.

Anything else y'all have gotten sick of over the years?

____

I hate when YouTube has to buffer a 18 second video, but plays the 30 second ad before it in 4K, 240fps, zero buffer.

Edit: just so it's not misconstrued, I read the OP.

Kyrios

There was this one guy showing off PS4 themes and literally just talked the entire time, couldn't hear the background music or the sound changes of the theme. And apparently he's not the only one. No need to talk at all.

Otherwise, I really don't watch Let's Plays and the like.

WWWWWWWWWHAT'S GOING ON EVERYBODY

And this lol

Raptomex

I like watching some game review channels but I hate all the fluff many of them seem to enjoy putting in their videos. I just want to see gameplay and hear your take. Naturally, a scripted and coherent vocal narrative of your ideas and opinions or whatever it is you're trying to convey. When they start cutting away to some guy standing in a room surrounded by games or wherever, whether it's to make a point or to be "funny", that annoys me. I know it's popular and works for some but most of the time I hate that. Just show me the game. Classic Game Room is an exception. Mark is just such a likable guy and very optimistic.

Luminaire

Careless spoilers in the thumbnail and title.

Game X - The Reckoner of Stuff: Episode 31 - Bongo Bettays Party + Daves Death Scene [Commentary]

Thumbnail of some boss reveal that is YOUR BROTHER.

Thanks, prick.

My biggest YouTube pet peeve is after I use YT to listen to hot tracks in whatever game I'm currently playing, YT suddenly decides to top my suggestions with endgame spoiler videos for said game.

EDIT:

Game X - The Reckoner of Stuff: Episode 31 - Bongo Bettays Party + Daves Death Scene [Commentary]

Thanks, prick.

Absolutely, this is what i'm talking about. Can't stand it.

There was this one guy showing off PS4 themes and literally just talked the entire time, couldn't hear the background music or the sound changes of the theme. And apparently he's not the only one. No need to talk at all.
I miss the days where people used Notepad to type every thing out with Let The Bodies Hit The Floor playing in the background

NickMitch

7 minutes of: this is the product you searched for with all the features you already know...1 minute of actually using the damn thing or showing it in action

iMax

Jump cuts.

YouTube has popularised the destruction of full stops and the value of carefully arranged dialogue.

Sinfamy

YouTubers who catch their audience up on their personal life before getting to the topic that is the clickbait title in the last 90 seconds.
Literally no one gives a shit, buy a dairy.

Title: *Product* Review
Runtime: 4:55

"Hey guys, sorry I haven't been posting all that much. I had to move, and school's been keeping me busy, had some job offers, was on vacation. Support me on Patreon. Buy my merchandise. And without further adieu, gets get to the review... It's pretty good."

Like comment subscribe, click the notification button to receive email updates.
Like my Facebook, Google+, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, MySpace, Livejournal, Tumblr, DeviantArt, Feedly, Pinterest and Snapchat.

Revven

30-45 second intros (maybe even a whole minute sometimes...) with some music and cut up clips spliced together of anime/games/whatever related to the YouTuber when in actuality I could care less about the intro and just want to watch the content of the video. It just wastes time.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
if you have issues with pokemon fans being embarrassing megadorks in videos, I'm afraid there isn't an oasis in this desert

Zukkoyaki

Long and loud channel intros that are clearly free After Effects templates.

When its takes 20-30 seconds or more to get to the actual content be it because of intros, ads, whatever.

Tutorial videos with no walkthrough commentary.

Yelling and being loud/obnoxious.

"LIKE, SHARE AND SUBSCRIBE!!1!!1!!"

Can we hit 5,000 likes on this video?

and

Don't forgot to like, subscribe and favorite this video, click the bell under the video to get notification, follow me on facebook, instagram and twitter.

Jump cuts.

YouTube has popularised the destruction of full stops and the value of carefully arranged dialogue.

I don't really see it as a bad thing. If your gonna put up a video that's more than 5 minutes about a certain subject I expect you to get to the point without any continuous hangups.

Phu

Banned
7 minutes of: this is the product you searched for with all the features you already know...1 minute of actually using the damn thing or showing it in action

I hate product 'reviews' that are really just unboxing videos. Especially for stuff that's supposed to be a long-term, daily use kind of thing. 'So yeah, I've messed around with it for about 20 minutes and it seems pretty nice."

GAME TITLE - THEME OF TRAITOR

Thanks, prick.

This.

If a YouTube channel does this I'll either unsubscribe immediately or block all said channels videos from my feed, permanently. Hate running into shit like this.

-The annoying inflection a lot of youtubers put in their voice like they are attempting to be a radio DJ or some shit. Just stop it.

-Or just that fake over excitedness about everything that some youtubers have.

-unboxing videos. I know whats in the box, why the fuck would I care about the box itself?

-false advertising videos. This is pretty rampant around car/motorcycle videos where it looks like its a review but its really just the manufacturers promo vid uploaded.

Bakkus

They're heavily inspired by That Guy With The Glasses aka Nostalgia Critic aka Channel Awesome which in their heyday had all their affiliates do this skit in pretty much every video.

-"For me, personally..."
-Excessive use of the word "just."
-Please like, comment, and subscribe.
-Wordiness
-Reliance on pop culture for substance. (It dates the video and makes it less entertaining in hindsight. ie: Unless you're from RedLetterMedia, I guarantee your thirty second critique of why X movie sucks is going to be overshadowed and explained much better by someone else.)
-Lack of chutzpah. (For god's sake don't start menially divisive opinions with thirty seconds of how you could be wrong. Do your research and say it. It's okay. We won't hate you if you slip into hyperbole)
-Excessive use of hyperbole. (I LOVE THIS GAME. WURST GAEM 5EVER. BAYO IS MY WAIFU. KAWAIIIIIIIII)

One of the reasons I enjoy watching Game Grumps is because they're professionally trained entertainers with a standardized comedic formula, not just silly acting gamers who stick to a single trope.

Top Bottom