• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people pay so much for art?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I just made this. What do you guys think?

art4crz7.png

It's an egg.

No, it's a startling reflection of our own internal pluralism.

pigeon

Banned
No, it's a startling reflection of our own internal pluralism.

At some level, though, isn't that what an egg is? A span of white, a globe of yellow, each bordered and distinct, but each inextricably tied to the other? Isn't that why we eat them, attempting to devour the symbol just like we attempt to unify our own dualistic nature? Isn't that why souffles seem so magical to us, because creating them requires dividing the Janusian egg into its two separate components, preparing each separately, and then combining them in a new way?

Riposte

He has an absolute stance. Nothing is absolute. There are and will always be great artists doing great art no matter how shallow the cream of the crop is.

Also it seems he only values paintings based on technical merits.

That's not quite true. In fact, I have little interest in those paintings posted in this thread which go out of their way to look like photographs, especially when they capture mundane every day things (like anything our smartphones could capture, then traced). It would be more true to say that I believe technical skill is necessary and it (or at least its display) being thrown out is a symptom of values reversing. With a painting you should try to do something you couldn't afford to do with a comic or film.

Perhaps you shouldn't take what I say as an absolute. I'm highlighting the direction which the medium has turned to and why. That doesn't mean I'm covering every work (far from it). Actually, the fact I am not may be a major point. Think of all the enthusiast artists doing work online, those working for film or games or comics, etc etc doing finely detailed, expressive work. What they do is deemed unworthy of the hallowed halls of the museum. If someone suggested it it would probably be a laugh (then again, that could just make it more likely we'll see erotic furry fanart there, the medium is laughing at itself at this point). What does grace the museum though? Well, look at this thread. Yes, the modern art pieces stand out better, but the fact they stand out is being celebrated at the expense of everything else. Something aesthetically pleasing is not enough and is not needed, you need something to stand out (to be novel and weird). Good art doesn't stand out anymore. We've had centuries to get tired of it (especially those who are not very appreciative) and now we have other mediums which are more entertaining. So we go to the extreme (and then whatever extreme we can find after that). A blank canvas, some nonsensical lines, etc. To the common man, the museum of modern art is more like a freak show.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
At some level, though, isn't that what an egg is? A span of white, a globe of yellow, each bordered and distinct, but each inextricably tied to the other? Isn't that why we eat them, attempting to devour the symbol just like we attempt to unify our own dualistic nature? Isn't that why souffles seem so magical to us, because creating them requires dividing the Janusian egg into its two separate components, preparing each separately, and then combining them in a new way?

Guessing the artist's intent is almost an act of hubris, an introspective illusion. Grinchy's work does trick us into assigning our own meanings to the piece, but therein lies the conundrum - is it what we see it to be, or is it what the artist creates it to be? The collision of intentions is breathtaking. What strikes me most is the slightly off center 'yolk' in a surrounding of symmetry, wrecking the viewer's sense of place.

pigeon

Banned
Guessing the artist's intent is almost an act of hubris, an introspective illusion. Grinchy's work does trick us into assigning our own meanings to the piece, but therein lies the conundrum - is it what we see it to be, or is it what the artist creates it to be? The collision of intentions is breathtaking. What strikes me most is the slightly off center 'yolk' in a surrounding of symmetry, wrecking the viewer's sense of place.

I was going to start writing a "death of the author" response to this in which I questioned the relevance of Grinchy's intentions in creating the piece or why we should prioritize them over our own reactions as viewers, but then I realized that I would be passing right out of parody and into actual art criticism, so I stopped and wrote this response instead.

Or is this response really the "death of the author" response I was originally planning to write?

Or does it even matter?

zoukka

That's not quite true. In fact, I have little interest in those paintings posted in this thread which go out of their way to look like photographs, especially when they capture mundane every day things (like anything our smartphones could capture, then traced). It would be more true to say that I believe technical skill is necessary and it (or at least its display) being thrown out is a symptom of values reversing. With a painting you should try to do something you couldn't afford to do with a comic or film.

But a painting, however realistic and believable is never the same thing as a photograph. Photographs are always the same, but there are no two people who see the subjects they paint the same way. That's one of the most amazing thing about art. Individual expression. You can have a thousand artists paint an apple and no two paintings will look alike.

Perhaps you shouldn't take what I say as an absolute. I'm highlighting the direction which the medium has turned to and why. That doesn't mean I'm covering every work (far from it). Actually, the fact I am not may be a major point. Think of all the enthusiast artists doing work online, those working for film or games or comics, etc etc doing finely detailed, expressive work. What they do is deemed unworthy of the hallowed halls of the museum. If someone suggested it it would probably be a laugh (then again, that could just make it more likely we'll see erotic furry fanart there, the medium is laughing at itself at this point). What does grace the museum though? Well, look at this thread. Yes, the modern art pieces stand out better, but the fact they stand out is being celebrated at the expense of everything else. Something aesthetically pleasing is not enough and is not needed, you need something to stand out (to be novel and weird). Good art doesn't stand out anymore. We've had centuries to get tired of it (especially those who are not very appreciative) and now we have other mediums which are more entertaining. So we go to the extreme (and then whatever extreme we can find after that). A blank canvas, some nonsensical lines, etc. To the common man, the museum of modern art is more like a freak show.

This is a good pick and something I've been thinking about for years with my peers. First of all you need to realise that modern museums generally are not a place meant to display commercial art unless there's a theme day for that or something. Commercial art already has the best visibility of any other art because the works are distributed everywhere. Most commercial art is born from collaboration and compromise. These of course make sure that the art is technically impeccable and works in the medium they target and serve the purpose the artists are hired. It's a completely different form of work compared to someone not being employed and just doing what they do because they love it (not to say commercial art can't be born out of love for the craft as well).

Is it truly hard to understand why museums don't want to display the vision and motivation of huge corporations?

And have you visited modern museums lately? When I last visited my national museum of modern art, most pieces were easy to read. There were figurative and abstract paintings, sculptures and a few very imaginitive enviromental art pieces.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
They like it, and there is only one of them in the entire world. It's owning a peice of history or culture. I'm not saying I'm into it, but is it really hard to understand that someone who is wealthy might collect something a bit more rare/expensive than vinyl anime figures or comic books?

Talking about how hard or easy it is to make is completely irrelevant IMO and is pretty anti-art if you take to an even pretty forgiving conclusion.

Vidpixel

It's more or less due to the historical significance of the piece or the importance of the artist. The technique of a painting in relation to the period it was created in also contributes greatly to the high-value of certain fine art.

Apples to Zucchinis.

Music is usually not a one-of-a-kind thing.

So it's not really the quality of art itself that drives up the price but the availability?

Obviously quality affects the price too but its a bit odd that doesn't really apply to other types of art. (I'm specifically thinking of the standardized cost of albums)

KingFire

Banned
Apples to Zucchinis.

Music is usually not a one-of-a-kind thing.

I think if we had recordings of masters such as Liszt, Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven, it would sell for millions.

Only sheets of their great music have survived, and that is not as worthy as these shitty paintings basically because people can't show it to others. A painting is usually hung on some wall and the rich ass who bought it proceed to brag about how expensive and important that painting is.

Monocle

I don't know what you just said, but please accept a modest donation of 50 million US dollars in exchange for your crudely scrawled circle of yellow crayon on a crumpled napkin.

Yeah, this is the best thing said in the thread so far. The idea behind a lot of this art is as important as the art itself, if not more important. If you want to call that bullshit, go ahead. But it isn't. Some people value that.
Some people eat their own feces on purpose.

Oh my god.

If all art was a "technical marvel," art would be incredibly boring.
If all food was both nontoxic and more or less palatable, food would be incredibly boring.

1cmanny1

People pay shit tons for it, because it is unique. And some people place value on something that you and me might think is just a mess.

Nice thread.

For anyone who doesn't get Picasso or Rothko et al. I highly recommend watching the BBC documentary Simon Schama's Power of Art, it's eight episodes each covering one artist, the last two episodes are about Picasso and Rothko. It does a great job of covering the history, the stories, and the meaning and significance behind these artists' work, and it's a visual feast for the eyes. I really wish this series was available on blu-ray, but just watching the DVDs on a big plasma TV was breathtaking. I guarantee you will have a greater appreciation for pieces that you shat on before.

I think all the episodes can be found on youtube, but I'd really recommend finding a way to watch them in better quality (PM me if you need pointers). I think it's on Netflix too. The entire series is very enjoyable and covers the different art movements chronologically, but you could skip to the last two episodes (7 and 8) for Picasso and Rothko if you wish.

On another note, today I saw a video on youtube that talked about something that was mentioned a lot in this thread, which is that when an object has a story attached to it, people will pay more for it. This applies to everything from random trinkets on ebay, to these multimillion dollar paintings. The story and history behind the art makes it more valuable to people.

jimi_dini

Got this from my (deceased) granny. It was dusty and even a bit damaged back then. Paid quite a bit for restoration + framing. Somehow they managed to fix everything, I still wonder how they managed to do it and now it's even dust proof. I really love looking at it.

Got this from my (deceased) granny. It was dusty and even a bit damaged back then. Paid quite a bit for restoration + framing. Somehow they managed to fix everything, I still wonder how they managed to do it and now it's even dust proof. I really love looking at it.

Painting restoration is apparently big business.

The painting [Picasso's Le Rêve] was the centerpiece of Wynn’s collection and he had considered naming his Wynn Las Vegas resort after it. Nevertheless, in October 2006, Wynn told a group of his friends that he had agreed the day before to sell Le Rêve for $139 million to Steven A. Cohen. At the time, this price would have made Le Rêve the most expensive piece of art ever. While Wynn was showing the painting to his friends, apparently about to reveal the now still officially undisclosed previous owner (see above), he put his elbow through the canvas, puncturing it in the left forearm of the figure and creating a six-inch tear.

After a $90,000 repair, the painting was re-valued at $85 million. Wynn proceeded to claim the $54 million difference with the virtual selling price from his Lloyd's of London insurers, which would have paid for (most of) the cost of buying the painting in the first place. When the insurers balked, Wynn sued them in January 2007. The case was eventually settled out of court in March 2007. Cohen bought the painting from Wynn in 2013 for $155 million.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Rêve_(painting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom