• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just found out my girlfriend is cheating on me

Unless it was work related, I'm sure my girlfriend would not be comfortable with me hanging out, alone, with other girls.

Isn't this normal? I know GAF strives to be progressive in all ways, but this is pretty much a universal norm, as far as I know. Not that there aren't exceptions, but come on folks.

My assumption is that younger people who don't feel obligated to a spouse or spouse like girlfriend/boyfriend want to keep the 'but if it's friend's why get mad'? The reality is just something different. I don't speak for everyone, but just wait until you're in a relationship where you naturally feel committed.

Let me clarify further... 'Hanging out' is something that we hardly do, as working adults, anyway. We also have a baby. I could get away with lunch with a certain female friend, but hanging out? Like walking in the woods, or looking for adventure, or watching movies or playing games with? No way. We haven't written these rules down or even talked about it, I just feel it wouldn't quite be right.

gabelsqt

Unless it was work related, I'm sure my girlfriend would not be comfortable with me hanging out, alone, with other girls.

Isn't this normal? I know GAF strives to be progressive in all ways, but this is pretty much a universal norm, as far as I know. Not that there aren't exceptions, but come on folks.

My assumption is that younger people who don't feel obligated to a spouse or spouse like girlfriend/boyfriend want to keep the 'but if it's friend's why get mad'? The reality is just something different. I don't speak for everyone, but just wait until you're in a relationship where you naturally feel committed.

Let me clarify further... 'Hanging out' is something that we hardly do, as working adults, anyway. We also have a baby. I could get away with lunch with a certain female friend, but hanging out? Like walking in the woods, or looking for adventure, or watching movies or playing games with? No way. We haven't written these rules down or even talked about it, I just feel it wouldn't quite be right.

I agree. It's an unwritten law of a committed relationship. With time, the opposite sex friend either becomes a friend of the SO too or bails.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

I am in my 30s and have a wife. She is more than fine with me going and hanging out with friends one-on-one, whether they are male or female, single or in a relationship, gay or straight.

I agree. It's an unwritten law of a committed relationship. With time, the opposite sex friend either becomes a friend of the SO too or bails.
Sure, but does that mean the one-on-one hangouts end unless your SO is there?

I'm bisexual. So, if I have a SO, what's the conclusion? I cannot have friends anymore?

Those types of people have jealous controlling issues. You don't own your SO.
Well yeah...but still. We know how people are. There are good ones and bad ones.That means lots of jealous people. And someone I know specifically has very low self-esteem. Because she doesn't think highly of herself she is uncomfortable with her boyfriend around other women. Does he still? Yeah. But she thinks at the snap of a finger he will run off to these other women. And it isn't just her current boyfriend. It's any she has ever had. It sucks, but people have all sorts of not great reasons for being that way.

Top Bottom