• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran tests missile despite Trump pressure

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41371309

Iran says it has successfully tested a new-medium range missile, in defiance of US President Donald Trump.

The launch of the Khoramshahr missile, which has a range of 2,000 km (1242 miles), was shown on state TV. It is unclear when the test took place.

At the UN on Tuesday, Mr Trump criticised Iran's missile programme and the 2015 nuclear deal with the country.

On Friday Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Iran would increase its military power "as a deterrent"

The Khoramshahr missile was first displayed at a military parade on Friday in Tehran. It is capable of carrying multiple warheads, state broadcaster Press TV reports.

President Trump included Iran among a "small group of rogue regimes", said its government was bent on "death and destruction" and said the nuclear agreement was an "embarrassment" to the US.

Mr Rouhani responded by referring to a "rogue newcomer to international politics" and deplored the US leader's "ignorant, absurd and hateful rhetoric".

He said his country would "not be the first" to violate the deal, which Mr Trump has threatened to pull out of despite other signatories and international monitors saying Iran has stuck by its terms.

Occam

As North Korea has demonstrated, once you have nuclear weapons, you can do whatever and no one is going to do anything about it (especially not the orange coward). So obviously this is now the goal of any rogue nation.

Usobuko

Banned
No one respects him.

Kinda wanna see how much the rest of the western world wrestle back influence and control from United States.

Maztorre

As North Korea has demonstrated, once you have nuclear weapons, you can do whatever and no one is going to do anything about it (especially not the orange coward). So obviously this is now the goal of any rogue nation.

Iran isn't a "rogue nation", unless the definition of rogue nation is now simply "Places the US military wants to bomb or invade".

snap0212

Iran, the rogue nation that complies with everything the world community has agreed upon. :D

They seem to be okay with following the Iran nuclear agreement so long as they have strong missile capabilities (which shouldn't be a problem for any country afaik) and few sanctions against them. That sort of strength can come in very handy when... a neighbor attacks and kills a million of your citizens for eight years while the USA sits idly by. I bet diplomats and the international community wishes North Korea were half as flexible as Iran. Unlike the former Iran doesn't even hold millions of lives hostage and still complies with international agreements and UN inspections.

Iran isn't a "rogue nation", unless the definition of rogue nation is now simply "Places the US military wants to bomb or invade".
Rouge nations are places that the US wants to overthrow their government so they can exploit the country's natural resources. This literally happened in Iran. There are no two ways about it.

Occam

Right, I realized "rogue nation" is a right-wing US term for places they'd like to invade and not a fitting description for Iran directly after posting it, I should have edited it.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Iran tested missiles in 2016 as well after the nuclear pact. I mean, these countries have their own goals and they don't look at who is the US president. Now obviously Trump has less credibility than Obama but Iran didn't exactly violate the deal with this test.

I would be doing anything I could possibly do to get usable nukes if I were Iran or NK, I wouldn't trust not just Trump, but anyone following to not fabricate reasons to come decimate my country.

The nuclear deal does not include sanctions or controls of conventional missiles. Iran is right when it says they don't have to ask Trumpy about permission to launch a conventional rocket.

Please also keep in mind that the deal was made between all five veto powers and the EU. It says a lot that Trump believes it's up to him to decide when and if that deal's to be canceled. Even more so his embarassing move to tell everyone he already decided but couldn't be bothered to tell his decision to the UK prime minister after she politely asked him.

No one on the political playing field takes this man serious anymore, which has a tremendous negative halo effect on the reputation of the US. They just cannot be trusted anymore.

Even if conventional missiles aren’t covered in the nuclear deal Trmup will use this to say they are being aggressive and use this as justification to not renew the deal.

Sorc3r3r

It may has passed as unnoticed in the USA but its global power is far less relevant.
Regional entities rule their relative surroundings.
A crazy anticipation:it will get worse.

Trump has nothing to do with it.
The Syrian war it is a confirmation and a further failure on that path.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Remember all those times Trump said Obama was weak and ineffective for being diplomatic?

NK, Iran and Cuba should coordinate weapon test on the same day, maybe on one year anniversary of Orange Turd's inauguration.

The nuclear deal does not include sanctions or controls of conventional missiles. Iran is right when it says they don't have to ask Trumpy about permission to launch a conventional rocket.

Please also keep in mind that the deal was made between all five veto powers and the EU. It says a lot that Trump believes it's up to him to decide when and if that deal's to be canceled. Even more so his embarassing move to tell everyone he already decided but couldn't be bothered to tell his decision to the UK prime minister after she politely asked him.

No one on the political playing field takes this man serious anymore, which has a tremendous negative halo effect on the reputation of the US. They just cannot be trusted anymore.
On the plus side I feel like this practically takes an Iran invasion off the table. Even the hardest of the hardliners can't seriously expect the USA to go it alone on such an endeavor. No way any of our allies are going to follow Trump into a war at this point unless North Korea literally bombs Japan or South Korea.

jstripes

Banned
World leaders have learned that Trump has all the pressure of a feather pillow. He talks big a lot, but he does fucking nothing.

again if countries didn’t constantly point to a “military option” then the justification of these missile programs would be moot.

These also aren’t nuclear missiles, iran can’t build nukes. Unless of course the US, Israel, and SA scrap the Iran Deal and start and Arms race. Which isn’t to unlikely

cameron

som6uqv.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/911711539815702529

One side i get it why they don't want Iran to work on their missile program because its one part of a nuclear weapon.
But then on the other side Iran is a sovereign country surrounded by enemies,
so they have every reason to do as much research into missiles and advanced weaponry.

Really hope we as EU don't have to sanction anymore countries just because the US wants a war with Iran.
Because Iran might be a option as a energy supplier that is on the same landmass as the EU.

RinsFury

The orange idiot has turned the US into a global joke, of course no leaders have any respect for him. My concern now is that he'll looking for a new war to rush into to send a statement that he means business.

Top Bottom