• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Dark Tower Run Time is 94 Minutes

As someone who's read The Gunslinger and has read all the other books, not just researched them, I'm telling you straight up that the "kind of a sequel, kind of not" is a genius way of going about this particular adaptation.

And the overall plan is to do a combination of Movies and TV shows to tell the tale. They've already got a decent amount of actors cast for the TV show iirc. But in order for this to happen, this movie does have to be successful enough to justify the expenditure. Which is true for all movie series.

Hmm. Well I will concede that you'd be in a more qualified position than I then. I mean I read The Gunslinger years ago now, and can barely remember it, outside of the awesome descriptive passages and vivid, dreamlike imagery. Perhaps there's creative ethics here that are active then, and maybe they do indeed care. I think the sad thing is I can't see this film being a super success that would green light their road map (thanks for enlightening me to their plans by the way, had no idea there was going to be more beyond this film).

Guess we'll see. It does look pretty fucking cool, with slick action and it's well cast, so maybe it and the roadmap they have has a decent shot. At least I hope so.

Nether!

Maybe this will be an interesting movie on its own, but based on the previews alone it doesn't look like much of a Dark Tower adaptation.
Would love to be proved wrong, though - was obsessed with the books when I was a kid.

segasonic

Of all the book IPs....so with all the history and material of Stephen Kings longest running epic saga that is The Dark Tower
and they only managed to pull 94 minutes worth of material for a movie?

WTF, just how bad did they edit this film?!
It's not based on the books, it's a sequel.

Number45

I fear the runtime means we're getting the meat of the story and much less of Stephen King, definitely. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd love to see more of the weird and wonderful of the series put to film.

So, the "Making of" art book came out today and I did a quick browse through it and there appears to be some content from
all 7 main books.

It will be interesting to see how they cram that much stuff into such a short movie.

Number45

The trailer shows things that aren't touched upon in the first book (the
beams
for example IIRC). Them existing doesn't mean they need to eat up a lot of runtime.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I get the feeling this film is going to bomb horribly, leading to an inevitable Dark Tower Netflix reboot a few years down the line.

Top Bottom