• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddest console accessories

Bandai made a sonar attachment for the game boy to help locate fish.

0sPzPOX.jpg

Fowler

I submit the awesome TOP RIDER BIKE for the Famicom. It was an inflatable bike with handlebars on top to control the game. Check out the little pic on the box art:

I had one of these as a kid. It was awesome! It was supposed to be like arcade Hang-On at home, but to a kid's active imagination, I totally felt like this:

Of course, if you try to play it today, it's really just like this:

Always thought this was weird bcs...what was the use case for that circle pad?

That red circle just allowed you to slide your thumb around. You still had to press down at the edge of the black circle.

Fun fact, my buddy and I used to put a dictionary on the "A" turbo button to buy 99 health potions in Final Fantasy. You had to buy them one at a time and it took a couple of seconds for each one. We were impatient.

The Xim4. What makes it odd is Ximmers don't consider it cheating, which it obviously is

How are they cheating? I play with people using standard DS4 pads that can compete and beat people using XIM4s.

Hell, once playing R6Siege we played against a full squad who were all using keyboard and mouse and still took it to extra over time due to a draw on match point. We lost by hair, and it had nothing to do with them using XIM4's.

oSoLucky

"Enjoy the emotions of the best games in the reality of your home."

That tag line is something else.

Sounds like a Miyamoto quote.

How are they cheating? I play with people using standard DS4 pads that can compete and beat people using XIM4s.

Hell, once playing R6Siege we played against a full squad who were all using keyboard and mouse and still took it to extra over time due to a draw on match point. We lost by hair, and it had nothing to do with them using XIM4's.

It's not a 1:1 mouse input at all, but it does add more precision than a controller once it's set up. It's the same deal with any competitive game. Just because you use a stronger character or input method doesn't mean you're better than another player. A friend's friend used one and he would routinely be >2.5 k/d in Destiny Crucible but he was awful at literally anything in the game that wasn't a twitch shot. There wouldn't be so many people using them if they did nothing.

REZ Trance Vibrator
"Not a sex toy"

rez_trance_vibrator_special_package_ps2_ntscj_07.jpg
I've got one of these. It really isn't a sex toy. Since it matches the gameplay, it isn't strong or consistent enough. Outside of "Everything is a dildo if you're brave enough", it would make a terrible replacement for something cheaper and purpose built to get you off.

Comes with a strap to put it on your chest / back, where it's a mildly interesting addition to the controller rumble, but not worth the hassle.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
I've got one of these. It really isn't a sex toy. Since it matches the gameplay, it isn't strong or consistent enough. Outside of "Everything is a dildo if you're brave enough", it would make a terrible replacement for something cheaper and purpose built to get you off.

Comes with a strap to put it on your chest / back, where it's a mildly interesting addition to the controller rumble, but not worth the hassle.

Was gonna post this. It's a fun novelty but very weak and not properly rhythmic enough to do anything.

Spoiler'd for YUGE

Onimusha 3 controller

onimusha_3_sword_controller.jpg

Dragon Quest Monsters: Battle ROad Victory controller (Wii)

ME0001275795_2.jpg

Bring the Muthafuckin' ruckus, we've got ourselves an official Wu-Tang PS controller.

wu-controller.jpg

The official double track drifting peripheral.

Z0047942.jpg

NismoTigerWVU

Neo Member
Just playing devil's advocate here, but could you imagine a game like Eternal Darkness that incorporated your pulse (and motion control) to mess with you even more? Granted, a wrist strap type sensor would be needed to keep that hand free, but I totally could see a use case for the tech, even if it's rather niche.

Andy Vee

Neo Member
The sega action chair. Can't post image as I'm mobile and useless but I do recall the thing being something I really wanted when I was younger

Zushin

Not that weird in the scheme of things, but extremely uncomfortable. Still have one lying around somewhere.

PS1 Airpad

tAUbgOx.jpg

Peltz

Never released, but:

This Long-Lost Nintendo Knitting Machine Would Have Let You Make Sweaters With Your NES

17xkh9s036tvljpg.jpg

You're looking at the Nintendo Knitting Machine.

It's not a game; not a toy; not something a young girl can outgrow in three or six months or even a year.

It's a machine that interacts with the powerful Nintendo Entertainment System to actually knit sweaters: and not just one or two patterns but a multitude of different and unique designs.

The Nintendo Knitting Machine is just one more example of the innovative thinking that keeps Nintendo on the cutting edge of video technology. And your customers on the edge of their seats.

Of course we should probably mention that no other video game system offers anything even remotely similar. But why needle the competition?

Now you're knitting with power!

2nd page...I'm disappointed in you GAF that one of the most famous was forgotten:

300px-NES-Power-Glove.jpg

Game Boy printer is pretty goofy as well:

hqdefault.jpg

and finally, the Miracle Piano Teaching System for NES (Also on Genesis):

6547527.jpg

Top Bottom